Movie Defense Force: Demon Knight

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Demon Knight

And also Billy Zane.

Watch Video

Billy Zane really does look like a barrel of laughs in this, especially in that clip at the end. It's a shame this is the only thing I can recognize him in that isn't one of the Mummy films.

Maybe it's because I was only 10 the first time I watched it, but I've always really liked Demon Knight. Not in a misuse of the word "ironic" sort of way, but genuinely liked it. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but it's got Billy Zane in it.

I seem to remember it had a pretty decent soundtrack as well.

This is indeed a very fun movie. Though I'm a bit dissapointed you forgot to mention the entertaining performance by William Sadler as Brayker.

Sadler also had a memorable starring role in "The Man Who was Death", the very first episode of the Tales from the Crypt TV show, where he played a disgruntled executioner turned vigilante.

And he was very funny as the Grim Reaper in "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey" a darker and weirder movie than the first Bill and Ted (they go to Hell and get chased by a nightmare fuel easter bunny for example) that is none the less tons of fun. But it is unfairly maligned by a lot of people, and would be a great pick for Movie Defense Force actually.

Hang on. Demon knight needed defending? Well I never. I haven't watched Jim's defence (I look forward to watching that later) but this has come as a real surprise. Sure it was cheesy and camp but it never pretended to be anything other than it was, a pulp horror story and as for the cast. They all looks like they had fun doing it. I wont talk about Mr Zane's performance coz I don't have to, it's utter genius. In fact I will now find this for the weekend. Lovely Sunday afternoon movie.

Seen jims vid and am pleased. Shame you couldn't crowbar the clip of CCH Pounder giving Billy the bird with the bloody stump her arm used to be on. That always gave me a chuckle. Oh and Thomas Haden church's piles line before he dies.

Teh Mummy is in this!.

I remember both the live action series (wich aired at noon in one of our local channels, oddly) and the cartoon of Tales of The Crypt and even as a child, I prefered the live action version better, just because it was gruesome as fuck and I loved it :D

I was already a massive fan of "Are you afraid of the Dark?" and "Goosebumps", Tales was pretty much the same, but with lots of blood and gore :)

If it ever gets released on Netflix, I'll definitely check this out, it's one of those movies that looks like lots of fun, but not a priority to start searching it.

Barbas:
Billy Zane really does look like a barrel of laughs in this, especially in that clip at the end. It's a shame this is the only thing I can recognize him in that isn't one of the Mummy films.

PLEASE tell me that was intentional sarcasm.

But, yeah, Billy Zane. He almost made Bloodrayne watchable.

I love Demon Knight. Tales from the Crypt was always endearing for its mix of hilariously, badly acted and over the top stories combined with just the right touch of the gruesome, schlock horror. The same traits that made the series so wonderful were preserved in several of the films, and Demon Knight might be my very favorite of the bunch! If anyone out there has not seen demon knight, I highly recommend it for an evening of fun.

Darth Sea Bass:

One of the best soundtracks ever:

"Cemetery Gates" - Pantera
"Tonight We Murder" - Ministry
"My Misery" - Machine Head
"Diadems" - Megadeth
"Instant Larry" - Melvins
"Fall Guy" - Rollins Band
"Beaten" - 3:10 Biohazard
"Polícia" - 1:46 Sepultura
"Hey Man Nice Shot" - 5:20 Filter
"1-800 Suicide" - Gravediggaz

Speaking of, have a long drive today *goes and digs out his CD of the soundtrack for it*

God i love this movie.

WWmelb:

Darth Sea Bass:

One of the best soundtracks ever:

"Cemetery Gates" - Pantera
"Tonight We Murder" - Ministry
"My Misery" - Machine Head
"Diadems" - Megadeth
"Instant Larry" - Melvins
"Fall Guy" - Rollins Band
"Beaten" - 3:10 Biohazard
"Polícia" - 1:46 Sepultura
"Hey Man Nice Shot" - 5:20 Filter
"1-800 Suicide" - Gravediggaz

Speaking of, have a long drive today *goes and digs out his CD of the soundtrack for it*

God i love this movie.

I'd probably have to give that honour to the crow soundtrack (The original that is)

Trishbot:

Barbas:

PLEASE tell me that was intentional sarcasm.

But, yeah, Billy Zane. He almost made Bloodrayne watchable.

Wish granted, mortal - My comment was intentional sarcasm.

Now then, regarding your payment for services rendered...

Oh. My. God. This movie...

... this movie was the first time I saw a boob on screen. I was scandalized.

I love Billy Zane, he's hilarious. He's such a good bad guy! I was always disappointed he never came back to Kingdom Hearts after the first game.

This movie is pretty amazing on it's own, but Jim is absolutely right when he says it's best viewed inebriated with a group of friends. Now I think I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Billy Zane. When you an egotistical evil jackass in your movie, except no substitute.

Seriously, I watched a (made for TV) movie where he was the good guy, and it was just WRONG.

Yeah, I loved Demon Knight when I was a teenager. It was exactly what it was supposed to be, a 90 minute Tales from the Crypt with higher production values (not by much, mind you, but still).

If you haven't seen it, you should just for Billy Zane. For the most part, the other actors are pretty good, too.

*holds out stump*
"Is that a yes?"
"No. That's me giving you the finger."
"... ... I'll get back to you."

I rented this with a friend and watched it in the middle of the night. After hanging around for a couple of hours and talking, I got in my car to leave and the radio came on.

Hey Man, Nice Shot was playing.

I had to check the back seat.

How does this movie need defending? It is freaking awesome!

Barbas:

If you want to see Billy Zane in an actual dramatic role where he does a good job, check out Memphis Belle. He plays the medic/bombardier in a WWII B-17, and the movie has a ton of top-tier talent.

"that guy from Gremlins" Thats what I call him too....I can never remember his name.

So.... what's next now, tales of the crypt bordello of Blood? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117826/

i honestelly saw thouse 2 movies, and barelly remember them all these years later

daxterx2005:
"that guy from Gremlins" Thats what I call him too....I can never remember his name.

That would be Dick Miller. A long-time character actor of TV shows and movies going all the way back to the 1950s. He's worked alongside Roger Corman, Joe Dante, and James Cameron. Here's a link to his profile from IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0588241/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Oh I've seen this movie. It makes for good Riffing material.

Been trying to think of a single Billy Zane movie where he plays a character that's not a bad guy and is good to watch and yeah, UNHchabo called it with "Memphis Belle". Though anything he's bad in is automatically amazing. I give you "Dead Calm", one of the best thrillers I've ever seen. Have to wonder if "Back to the Future" would have been better or worse if he'd been playing Biff Tannen instead of Thomas F. Wilson.

As for Demon Knight, one of the first horror movies I ever saw and wondered if I'd imagined or dreamed it it's been so long since I saw it. Brilliant film.

Good to hear everyone is in agreement with this one (which everyone of course should), but it got me thinking of how much the our horror geekdom really needs some good new anthologies. We have no series, and the film choices are slim. Good news is movies like VHS2 and Trick r Treat exist, and there has got to be someone out there with the same feelings with the expertise to create a tv show. And if any of you fellow horror geeks know of any newer shows or movies that are obscure and missed the radar sound them out. Also I am aware of ABC'S of Death and obviously VHS1, just thought they were kind of garbage.

Ahhh. This one takes me back to the good old days where my small town area had more video rental stores than dental clinics. Nowadays, the only rental store left is two towns away and the Redbox vending machines are starting to outnumber the people.

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knights was definitely one of those cheesy horror movies that didn't take itself too seriously and thank Glob for that. Goofy horror movies like this are good for you. Billy Zane, referred as The Collector in the movie, is a riot from start to finish. Ratty covered William Sadler perfectly with his ties to the Tales from the Crypt series and his role in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Plus Jada Pinkett Smith, CCH Pounder, Dick Miller, and Thomas Haden Church are no slouches in this film. If you can find a copy of this movie, pick up a couple of cheesy horror movies like Brain Scan, call up the boys, and make it a "It Came from the Video Store" movie night.

But you might wanna pass on Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood. Kinda fails to live up to the first one IMO.

Yeah, I'm with you (and apparently the majority) on this one. Not great art, but definitely kind of fun.

Though the memory that sticks with me is the inkeeper pointing her recently amputated arm at the Collector and clarifying "That's me giving you the finger."

When I saw the "Tales from the Crypt" part in the beginning, I of course assumed you would be defending one of the OTHER TftC movies.

Demon Knight needs no defending. It is absolutely perfect just the way it is. Anyone who tells you differently shall be challenged to a duel of fistacuffs!

I freaking LOVED this movie as a child (I had a weird childhood for horror was my go-to babysitter :D). This movie was just like the Crypt Keeper; horrorish but played with a shit-eating grin on its face. I would argue that it's very similar to "Army of Darkness" where it is a fun movie that has no problem having fun at it's own expense.

Callate:
Yeah, I'm with you (and apparently the majority) on this one. Not great art, but definitely kind of fun.

Though the memory that sticks with me is the inkeeper pointing her recently amputated arm at the Collector and clarifying "That's me giving you the finger."

Yes a lot of great quotes with this one including one along the lines of: "The world becoming a living hell ain't that bad. Can't be worse than my hemorrhoids." The hilarity further fueled by the demons looking at eachother awkwardly and confused.

OMG, how have I missed this schlocky bit of fun!! I mean I work in a video store, my friends and I in high school would watch the worst horror movies all the time and tear them apart. I must remedy this gross oversight immediately!

Sadly though, I'm pretty sure we don't have this for rent at my store.... D:

This was a gloriously bad film made at a time when that wasn't a bad thing. Fun, schlocky, the bad guy from Die Hard 2 plays the good guy, the girl from Under Siege 2 plays a hooker, and also Billy Zane. Where can it go wrong?

Jimothy Sterling:
Demon Knight

And also Billy Zane.

I've been looking for a Billy Zane movie. Can anybody tell me if there is any Billy Zane in this movie?

I'm not sure why so many posters are mentioning the Mummy movies for Billy Zane. You're not thinking of the right person. The closest he got what one of the Scorpion King sequels. BEHOLD! IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000708/

I do love Demon Knight, though. Bordello of Blood is also pretty sweet (see also: awesomely terrible).

Darth Sea Bass:

Was the first time most people ever heard Filter with Hey Man, Nice Shot and has the best version of Pantera's Cemetary Gates! I loved this movie back in the day. Much better than Bordello of Blood at any rate. Really need to find this on BluRay!

Bbleds:
Good to hear everyone is in agreement with this one (which everyone of course should), but it got me thinking of how much the our horror geekdom really needs some good new anthologies. We have no series, and the film choices are slim. Good news is movies like VHS2 and Trick r Treat exist, and there has got to be someone out there with the same feelings with the expertise to create a tv show. And if any of you fellow horror geeks know of any newer shows or movies that are obscure and missed the radar sound them out. Also I am aware of ABC'S of Death and obviously VHS1, just thought they were kind of garbage.

Try American Horror Story and Masters of Horror.
There's also Fear Itself but I haven't seen any episodes so I can't comment on the quality.

I wasn't aware this movie needed defending.

Billy Zane was great, it had a pretty good plot, decent action, good humor, and a whole bunch of topless women for no real reason whatsoever, all wrapped up in a quick and entertaining movie. This is definitely one of those films that I'll always end up watching when it's on TV.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here