The Escapist's Most Anticipated Games of 2014

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Escapist's Most Anticipated Games of 2014

Check out the games we're most looking forward to, from next-gen to handheld, in 2014.

Read Full Article

Rimworld is the only one in the list that I'm considering picking up.

Saddened that Banished didn't make the list. It's due out in a month.

No Oddworld: New 'n Tasty? For shame.

Unless The Last Guardian is still being released (pfft, yeah right), this really is my most antcipated game of the year.

MinionJoe:
Rimworld is the only one in the list that I'm considering picking up.

Exactly. I've been drooling over Banished for about a year now... and it comes out a couple days before I get home from vacation and it's driving me nuts. :p The Reddit page has some LPs up, and it's looking as good as I hoped.

... I had been wondering about the Dinosaur game (Stomping Grounds?), I was thinking about it this weekend, remembering I'd seen something about it a long time ago and wondering if it still existed. Glad it does. It looks really neat.

inFamous: Second Son, Dreamfall: Chapters, Wasteland 2, Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 5. It's going to be a good year

Pillars of Eternity isn't on my list, because I don't actually expect it to be finished in time for 2014. Torment's not even hoping for 2015

IndomitableSam:

MinionJoe:
[snip]

Exactly. I've been drooling over Banished for about a year now... and it comes out a couple days before I get home from vacation and it's driving me nuts. :p The Reddit page has some LPs up, and it's looking as good as I hoped.
[snip]

Epic oversight. We're publishing a Banished preview this week and will be reviewing. It's rad.

JonB:

IndomitableSam:

MinionJoe:
[snip]

[snip]

Epic oversight. We're publishing a Banished preview this week and will be reviewing. It's rad.

Yay, thanks! ... but I still don't get it any sooner. :p Ah well. Only a few weeks away. Will keep an eye out for it.

Are video reviews coming back soon, or is the whole Youtube content thing still an issue? Anyone know?

Also, link the the Banished page for those interested.

Just wondering, next time could you publish the whole name of the person writing the segment? There's no big list of Escapist employees to check against in the "Escapist Staff" profile, and a lot of you have fairly nondescript names (For instance, is "Paul" from the Bayonetta segment Paul Goodman or Paul Saunders?).

Smash bros, Infamous, and metal gear are the only ones I'm legitimately anticipating. A few other ones are games I'm either cautious about or things I'll probably pick up at some point but not immediately. Looking like kind of a lackluster year honestly.

Smite is on the list?
Damn, forgot that is still in beta, to me it already feels like a whole game.
I wouldn't exactly put it on the list, but that is probably just my biased opinion speaking.

*Shrug*

As for what I am look forward to.
- Infamous: Second Son.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition. (Hopefully it will be better then it's previous terrible second game)
- Persona 5. (This one is sitting strong on my list)
- Kingdom Heats 3.
- The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

Honorable mentions go to.
- Aliens: Isolation. (Hoping it will do good too, but I will not judge too quickly)
- Watch Dogs.

Of course I am looking forward to see the things that are actually on my list.
For the honorable mentions, I would like to see more before making my decision.
As for the others I did not mention, I would like to see a lot from them. ^_^

Huh... suddenly 2014 in gaming is looking a lot better than i gave it credit for.

Oh god, I didn't realise up until now how many games I was excited for this year.

"Just" from that list alone there's Bayonetta 2, Below, Child Of Light, Destiny, Diablo 3:RoS, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Hyrule Warriors, MGSV: The Phantom Pain, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Persona 5, Project Spark, The Sims 4, Sunset Overdrive, Super Smash Bros, The Division, Titanfall, Transistor, Watch Dogs and The Witcher 3.

Has the potential to be a fantastic year for gaming :D

Only game im looking forward to is Satellite Reigns because i love the first two Syndicate games. Though there is a few interesting games on that list.

Also.....i will not get my hopes up for the new Alien game. Not again until i read some reviews.

Not that I'm complaining about all the up-and-coming game highlights, but this list is less of a "most-anticipiated" and more of a "here's almost every game coming out this year." I was figuring there would be about 5 entries, not 50.

That being said, I'm not at all surprised that a games journalism group would be anticipating every game they've heard of =D

No Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2? How did that not make the list?

Ohhhhhhh my god, I am truly excited this year. Dark Souls 2 for sure, since that's my #1 anticipated game no doubt.

Yet, I also was stunned- Kingdom Hearts 3? PERSONA 5??! Holy crap, what a year this is going to be.
Seriously, I sense great potential in the year 2014. A lot of grand games are making a comeback (especially with the beloved sequels and all). Might even look into the new Metal Gear Solid game at my friend's house.

Infamous: Second Son, Deep Down, Game of Thrones, Kingdom Hearts 3, Transistor, and Watch Dogs are all on my list of super exciting games coming out next year.

Only glaring absence from the list I noticed was "The Witness." Really interested to see how that game turns out.

Never heard of "Valiant Hearts" before, but color me interested for now.

How can anybody say they're only interested in one or 2 things on this list? There's something for everybody and then some. Read it!

Pretty long list. From the list I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs and Transistor, and maybe a couple of others. I'm also pretty psyched from Dreamfall:Chapters (which didn't a shout-out), although there seems to be no "quiet" games on this list. It does seem that Susan's departure left a hole in the games featured among the Escapist staff.

IndomitableSam:
Also, link the the Banished page for those interested.

*checks out this link*

So Banished is a non-combat RTS, basically? That's...actually pretty nifty. That's sort of what I'd like the Sims to be, rather than what the Sims is.

I'll have to check this out.

My major hope for 2014 is Gravity Rush 2.

We've only got a short trailer so far but that's good enough for me to get excited.

So many games to me it looks like you consider all of the games to be the most expected. Like if you made the most downloaded torrents list and then you make the list of all the torrents in alphabetical order to make it worse.

At first I thought they wouldn't put Witcher 3 in the list..before noticing it's in alphabetical order derp.

There are so many awesome games coming out in 2014 it's insane. Here are some of mine that I look forward to:

. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Dark Souls 2
5. Titanfall
6. Watch Dogs
7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
8. World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
9. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
10. Transistor
11. The Division
12. Thief
13. Hotline Miami 2
14. South Park: The Stick of Truth

I am pretty sure Kingdom Hearts 3 will not be coming out this year. That would be awesome no doubt, but I wouldn't count on it.

Smash Bros. is probably my number 1 most anticipated game. Unless we find out that Zelda U will be coming this year, which I seriously doubt.

Zelda Warriors, Mario Kart, Kirby, Halo 5, and some others I can't think of at the moment have me excited. Though I would need to make the plunge and get Xbox One for Halo, and I would rather not. :/

Well, personally I am anticipating Super Smash Bros. quite a bit.
Bravely Default is already out here and I intend to buy it at some point soon.
I do kinda want Watch Dogs.
I backed the Kickstarter for Wasteland 2.
There's also Tales of Xillia 2 which I am thrilled is coming to Europe (getting special edition if it comes).

However one game stands above them all. There's one I simply have to buy. That is X. I know nothing about the game, but I have heard it's due out for 2014 and I intent to get it. It looks awesome and they did a great job on Xenoblade.

A lot of obvious contenders, a few bizarre ones, but what bothers me the most is the lack of X.

Seriously, the one title that could actually convince me to buy a freakin' Wii U - and it's not even on a "Most Anticipated"-list? You've got the likes of Lego: The Hobbit and Mario Kart 8 on there, but not the spiritual successor to Xenoblade Chronicles? Shame on you!

If I get my hands on Watch Dogs I will be the happiest man in the world. Nothing else will matter.

deathmothon:
How can anybody say they're only interested in one or 2 things on this list? There's something for everybody and then some. Read it!

I read it. Twice. And I can qualitatively say that from that list, only Rimworld interests me.

Anything from EA or Ubisoft gets an immediate exclusion from my to-buy list.
Anything exclusive to the new consoles is a no-buy IMO.
JRPGs are right out and FPS are of limited interest to me.
Multi-player has never been unenjoyable to me.

Clockwork Empires looks interesting, and I'll probably check it out, but Rimworld is the only title on that list that I'm considering buying.

So there's your "one or 2 things" that I should, in your opinion, be interested in.

Though I hardly see how anyone would be at fault for not anticipating ANY title on that list.

Dark Souls 2 and Transistor are probably the two games I'm most excited about.

No fans of The Longest Journey or Dreamfall on the Escapist staff? Pity. Dreamfall: Chapters is easily one of my most anticipated games of the year alongside Transistor and Pillars of Eternity.

Only game that is somewhat interesting to me is Watch Dogs, but I'll wait and see how that one turns out.

Getting excited over a game has just ended in disappointment too often before...

Can I put an honourable mention in for "Age of Wonder 3"? It's a fantasy civ style game but with a plot due out in the first quarter of this year and looks amazing. The first two are old-ish games available on Steam and they're great fun (though a lot of the maps become a doddle once you can summon freaking dragons) It's not the biggest game incoming but it looks lovely and if it's as good as the last one could become one of those games you keep coming back to. Or it may blow, your opinions may vary!

The D section on this list much covers a big chunk of it for me. Dragon Age Inquisition, Destiny and Dark Souls 2 are huge for me. Deep Down looks like it has a lot of promise, and the Diablo 3 expac will make a nice treat on the side.

Kingdom Hearts 3 and Persona 5? I might have to buy Sony products again.

Murdered Soul Suspect sounds like it's a gritty Ghost Trick, not sure how I feel about that.

Huh. There's actually quite a few games that look pretty good (Hyrule Warriors and Transistor especially). I might actually get into the current gen eventually, when the console prices are lower.

captcha: dollar signs

Whoa, easy there buddy. We're not shelling out cash just yet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here