Gun Nutella

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

"Hey, you watched that new manga I got you for Christmas?"
"You got me a manga for Christmas?"
"Yeah. You were real excited when I got it for you."
"*blinks*... wut...?"
"The One Piece DVD."
"Oh... oohhhhh! Er, no, I haven't watched it yet."

It's weird, I am definitely a big enough dick to annoy people by deliberately mixing up terms and phrases of things they like, but I'm usually too dumb to pick up on it when it happens to me.

Kennetic:

-Dragmire-:

What are the long strips of bullets called? Are they a different category?

That's called a belt. That's what machineguns use.

Oh, neat! Thanks for the info.

Aw, man... I'm late. I came in here to talk about putting a clip in my M-4 machine gun, a magazine into my M-1 sniper gun, a belt into my .44 pistol and a quickloader into my M-2 assault gun.

But somebody had to come in and be all educational first...

...and now captcha wants to know [sic]"how likely are you to joining the armed forces?" (parse much?). As a disabled vet, I'm not sure what tense to answer in. Glad there's an "unsure" option... but I would have preferred "been there, done that, don't qualify anymore".

Elementary - Dear Watson:

I was sure that it was this site that was constantly waving it's gun nut, hoo ahh banner with pride on an almost daily basis...

I am also surprised!

Maybe it is also a factor that people are less embarrassed by asking before googling/researching nowadays too?

The Escapist is a "gun nut" site now? What did I miss?

I suppose, it might also have to do with the fact that the main readership of this site are not that familiar with guns (myself included).

At the very least, I learned a couple of new things, and I'm happy about that.

Either Erin is intentionally screwing with him, or she is really not that bright. If these two are on the same team, we are looking at a friendly fire incident in the making.

Also: hee hee. "Stripper clip"

I understand the difference between magazines and clips.

That said, if I was in an actual firefight (virtual or otherwise), I'd just as soon not get shot because it took an extra two syllables to say I was out of ammo.

Maybe we need to popularize the abbreviation "mag".

Johnny Novgorod:
I'm a language enthusiast. I don't have to be a gun enthusiast to be pissed off at "shotgun bullets".

That's called the "Krummlauf". It's a curved barrel attachment for the StG 44 that allowed it to shoot around corners. Each barrel had a short lifespan and additionally put the bullets under a lot of stress, causing them to shatter and leave the barrel in fragments.

So it's basically a shotgun...with bullets. A shotrifle.

Weirdly enough i was wondering why in RE2 you got a box of ammo and it was 15 [normal]/30 [easy] rounds especially when my dad had a box of rounds which had like 90. Wouldnt that mean the majority of all the stuff in RE would have been preventable if whoever in charge wasnt such chikun-shet with their budget for their own officers

Not trying to derail the topic but just a coincidence

Kennetic:

-Dragmire-:
Wow, that actually took several reads to get...

Fapmaster5000:

Clip means this:

Magazine means this:

... Well, I learned something new. I called any set of bullets going into a pistol a clip...

That's called a belt. That's what machineguns use. The gun will manipulate the links while slamming the round into the chamber then eject the links separately from the spent casings.

Is that how those work? I thought they functioned by spitting the links into every other moving part on the weapon, forcing you to constantly have to jerk on the charging handle, clear and sweep. Presumably, this design decision was to cause a maximum level of annoyance to the gunner and cause him to bitch endlessly to anyone who would listen, likely the guy trying to dig a hot piece of brass out of the neck of his BDU jacket while rolling around like he got shot.

Barbas:

Is that supposed to be me defenestrating myself after being proved wrong, or you escaping after proving me wrong?
But come on we can agree 99% of shotguns in videogames don't exactly use bullets.

Realitycrash:
..The joke is that a "assault gun" doesn't exist and a shotgun fires shells, not bullets, right?
It might seem obvious to some of you, but I know little about guns, and thus I am unsure if I got the joke or not.

I was also told by a friend that Assault Rifles use "magazines", not "clips". I should thank him later. It made this even funnier.

Johnny Novgorod:

Barbas:

Is that supposed to be me defenestrating myself after being proved wrong, or you escaping after proving me wrong?
But come on we can agree 99% of shotguns in videogames don't exactly use bullets.

I forgot there was actually a word for throwing people out of windows. O.o

...But no, that's just a personification of my frustration at annoying weapons like that because they stick out like a sore thumb and confuse things even more. Pet peeve, I guess. I just refer to all ammo in video games now as "[weapon name] ammo" now, to avoid confusion. Unless it's hand grenades, since they follow a different trajectory.

Two-A:

I was sure that it was this site that was constantly waving it's gun nut, hoo ahh banner with pride on an almost daily basis...

I am also surprised!

Maybe it is also a factor that people are less embarrassed by asking before googling/researching nowadays too?

I suppose, it might also have to do with the fact that the main readership of this site are not that familiar with guns (myself included).

I'm thinking the guy is of the opinion that gamers think that because they used an AK-47 in Fallout 3 that gamers think they know all about guns. Which is, of course, insane - but there are gamers out there who do seem to think this. Maybe not on the Escapist, but I've run into people online who talk about this sort of thing like they know what they're talking about. As if video games actually show some sort of reality.

Off Topic/Divergent Topic: This comic is a great example of how to entirely and utterly derail any political discussion about "assault rifles" and other types of guns people want to regulate. It's so easy to come into a thread and troll the "gun nuts" by intentionally using the wrong terminology that for people with a basic understanding of guns (which I have, due to Mrs. Makt's family being both avid hunters and having a few of the extended clan being Canadian Military), it's easy to come into most gun threads and see who's trolling and who's getting trolled.

So what I'm saying is that this comic is a "How To" Comic for trolling gun nuts. I'm not sure if that's ironic or not, given the rules of the site, but it's sure amusing to think about!

Realitycrash:
-snip-

Well you could technically say "assault gun", and that would kind of be right, since a gun is mainly meant for the purposes of "assault" (ie attacking). However the joke is playing on the fact that the more common and accepted term is "assault rifle". Also, the container for the ammunition of an assault rifle (if you're to assume Erin was actually meaning "assault rifle") is typically referred to as a "magazine" or "mag". The term "clip" is typically reserved for pistols.

Shotguns fire ammunition stored in the shells that are loaded into the shotgun. At a super basic level, the shell is the casing holding the ammunition to be fired, the wad (separates the gun powder from the ammunition itself, and also helps the ammunition (particularly loose buckshot) stay coherent as it travels down the barrel), the gun powder that combusts and produces the energy to move the ammunition, and the primer (which contains a small amount of material that combusts when hit by the firing pin, thus beginning the combustion of the gunpowder proper).

Shotgun shells need not be limited to buckshot, you can put many different ammunition types in the shell. A popular ammo type for shotguns is a slug round, firing one single, aerodynamic, solid projectile. More exotic ammo includes stuff like "dragons breath", which basically fires fire.

Would like to get an enthusiasts take on it, since I'm really only a layman.

Ooh! What fun. We could have a whole thread of just these.
"Okay, we'll open fire as soon as the guy with the musket runs out of bullets and needs to reload."
"There was a battle here. Look! Shell casings from this guy's crossbow."

antidonkey:
Revolvers that fire semi-auto rounds use clips. Moon clips, I believe. I almost bought one as I didn't want to keep up with two different types of ammo but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle as getting replacement moon clips at the time seemed to be a pain.

If you want to get into IDPA, moon-clip-fed revolvers compete in a higher division than normal speedloader-fed revolvers.

Gorrath:

Kennetic:

-Dragmire-:
Wow, that actually took several reads to get...

... Well, I learned something new. I called any set of bullets going into a pistol a clip...

That's called a belt. That's what machineguns use. The gun will manipulate the links while slamming the round into the chamber then eject the links separately from the spent casings.

Is that how those work? I thought they functioned by spitting the links into every other moving part on the weapon, forcing you to constantly have to jerk on the charging handle, clear and sweep. Presumably, this design decision was to cause a maximum level of annoyance to the gunner and cause him to bitch endlessly to anyone who would listen, likely the guy trying to dig a hot piece of brass out of the neck of his BDU jacket while rolling around like he got shot.

Lol that happens all the time if you don't keep those bastards lubed properly. With the M2 50 cal you also have to do headspace and timing which is a pain in the ass all its own.

Hehehe. I think I've actually played enough games with guns in them to get these jokes. xD

It's kind of like teasing a "Grammar Nazi", in a way.

Quite funny. =w= b

Denamic:

Realitycrash:
..The joke is that a "assault gun" doesn't exist and a shotgun fires shells, not bullets, right?
It might seem obvious to some of you, but I know little about guns, and thus I am unsure if I got the joke or not.

It's like calling Link 'Zelda', or referring to a PS4 as 'a Nintendo'.

Oh fuck! Really? Is that how it feels to them?
I was about to make fun of gun people, but if it's really like the Zelda example, then I'm so sorry. That's just awful.

Kennetic:

Gorrath:

Kennetic:

Lol that happens all the time if you don't keep those bastards lubed properly. With the M2 50 cal you also have to do headspace and timing which is a pain in the ass all its own.

Thankfully I spent most of my time as a 249 gunner, which meant the link issues weren't quite as bad as the 50 cal. All you had to worry about was the cheap-ass rod breaking.

Denamic:
It's like calling Link 'Zelda', or referring to a PS4 as 'a Nintendo'.

Or Samus as "Metroid" :3

OT: Some buddies are like that and I mostly get the same reaction as Elliot...

The technical terms are "dakka" and "even moar dakka".

Gorrath:

Kennetic:

Gorrath:

Thankfully I spent most of my time as a 249 gunner, which meant the link issues weren't quite as bad as the 50 cal. All you had to worry about was the cheap-ass rod breaking.

The SAW is my least favorite of the 3 machineguns that thing would jam like crazy if you look at it the wrong way.

Good Kid Maad city was my favorite rap album of 2012

Also, nice to see eliot back

If anybody needs me, I'll be over here, grinding my teeth.

You put bullets into a magazine with a clip, because you can clip the clip onto the magazine; it's not that hard to remember....

Darth_Payn:
Either Erin is intentionally screwing with him, or she is really not that bright.

The two are not mutually exclusive!

Whatever happened to just saying "ammo"?

antidonkey:
Revolvers that fire semi-auto rounds use clips.

What are semi-auto rounds? >.>

Two-A:

I am also surprised!

Yeah, I don't even think we're even virtual gun nuts. Shooters tend to get pissed on around here.

LetalisK:

antidonkey:

I'm talking about a round designed for a semi-automatic handgun. For instance, a .45ACP is for a semi-auto pistol while a .45LC is for a revolver and you can't use them interchangeably.

LetalisK:

antidonkey:

Ammo that is meant for autoloading pistols. Revolver ammo uses longer casings (.38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum,etc.) as they don't to fit in your palm. Semi-auto pistols use magazines that go in your palm so they need to use shorter casings (.380 Auto, 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP). A revolver can shoot semi auto rounds because they are shorter and can fit in the cylinder but need moon clips because the casing has a different rim. Revolver ammo has a wide rim so it sits flush with the cylinder whereas semi-auto ammo has a diminished rim so that the extractor can pull it from the chamber but this means that it can slide right through the cylinder of a revolver if moon clips aren't used.

Notice that the revolver cartridges (the longer handguns rounds, ignore the 2 on the right they are rifle rounds) have a wide rim compared to the semi-auto rounds.

Realitycrash:

Well, I think it's mostly the use of "clips" (something to hold a magazine to you) as opposed to saying magazine. It's one of those things that actually makes me, and a lot of people, annoyed with enthusiasts. The whole thing is that in a lot of military organizations people would ask for "clips" because they were clipped onto a person and both would know what they meant. This was apparently fairly common slang, and picked up in a lot of action movies from the 70s through 90s where it entered the common vernacular where people would then imitate the characters and ask for a clip, or say slang-like that they have so many clips (as in mags clipped onto them). Even to this day where the actual use of the slang amongst those routinely travelling with magazines clipped on to them isn't commonly understood what is meant and the people taking objection to it are just trying to be annoying know it alls. Especially when you think about how it's slightly easier and quicker to say "clip" rather than "magazine" which is how it got started, but of course it seems "mags" or "mag" has become more common.

That said an assault weapon like the one shown there, if it did exist, would not likely use a magazine, but instead would likely be drum fed (or belt fed if it's older). The idea of someone actually having a magazine with like 1000 rounds lined up for something with that rate of fire is kind of ridiculous. Of course at the same time a single person carrying and using what amounts to a minigun/gatling gun is also kind of ridiculous, but at the end of the day such things do exist. More practically you'd probably have something like that toted by a two man team, one carrying the gun, the other humping the ammo, and you'd set it up on some kind of a brace or tripod.

With the shotgun, yeah, it's calling the "shells" bullets.

The thing is though that I think this is a double whammy, sort of also making the point that at the end of the day the terminology only really matters to someone who is intentionally being anal about it, especially in a video game. I mean when your out to destroy the other guys, I doubt they much care if your calling the ammo for your shotgun bullets or shells as they rip through them, and really unless the game is making a big deal about trying to be realistic in terms of carrying capacity, the number of reloads for your weapon is what matters, not the term used for those reload. I mean sure, maybe we call the ammo for some kind of massive rate of fire "assault gun" drums to make someone happy, but at the end of the day it doesn't much help realism when someone might wind up carrying 10 or more of the bloody things along with their other presumed kit. Sort of like how in the more recent fallout games ammo has no weight (unless you play on a hardcore/survival mode) so I might be carrying around hundreds of missiles and thousands of rounds of ammo for different weapons... very few people really stopped to think or care about "how do I realistically carry 50,000 rounds of assorted ammo...".

Two-A:

I am also surprised!

There was no offence meant chap... it was satire about a time we had, well... must have been about a year ago at least, where we had daily topics involving gun law that used to get really heated.
Daystar and I were just essentially reminiscing! Don't take it the wrong way... I was being flippant and sarcastic!

Two-A:

I am also surprised!

There was no offence meant chap... it was satire about a time we had, well... must have been about a year ago at least, where we had daily topics involving gun law that used to get really heated.
Daystar and I were just essentially reminiscing! Don't take it the wrong way... I was being flippant and sarcastic!

Don't worry, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I just took your post at face value (a common problem with written communication). I haven't been active in the forum for that long.

Kennetic:
snip

I think it's better illustrated in profile:

LetalisK:

antidonkey:

Moon clips are used to shoot rimless cartridges out of revolvers. These look to be .45ACP:

Generally revolvers use rimmed cartridges and semi-auto pistols use rimless cartridges, but it isn't exclusive in either direction. In addition to moon-clip-fed revolvers, there are also some pistols that shoot rimmed cartridges: .22LR is a rimmed round, and a few pistols have even been made for the heavier revolver loads, like .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum -- the Desert Eagle is available chambered for these rounds, for instance, in addition to the .50AE for which it's famous.

Actually, you don't load "bullets" into anything, you load rounds. Bullet is the part that flies out. Also, shotguns can use slugs which are technically big bullets.

I hate how COD is creating a generation of kids who think they know everything about guns but in reality don't know crap. My neighbor told me the PPSH-41 was an assault rifle. The worst part was he was totally serious. It's one of the world's most famous submachine guns. I was so pissed at him especially when I laid out why he was wrong and he refused to believe me because he figured the people who made the game knew better than me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here