Zero Punctuation: Broken Age

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Broken Age

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Broken Age.

Watch Video

I'd like to hear an entire episode about Kickstarters, though maybe Yahtzee's covered that in written form.

EDIT: Um...I'm 'First'? What the heck?!?

Oh, I was thinking that this was Thursday. ...I'm having a Twin Peaks kind of day...

So it sounds to me like this game is kinda broken. ...I'll go now.

I'd rather eat two Octopi taped together than a bloody kebab...

Hey DoubleFine, why you no make platformers? I get that adventure games are the stuff all those stuffy gits demand you make but i'm a 90's man raised on platformers, original ideas of which are becoming all to sparse these days.

It seems to me the first half with the generic rant about kickstarters is entirely self-contradictory.

On one hand, Yahtzee is chastising the people for blindly throwing their money at Schafer and letting him build anything he wants, at the same time chastising the system for only producing games that people know they want in advance.

If anything, the former negates the latter. In a traditional transaction, people only buy what they expect to like in advance, but with crowdfunding, there is a chance that if they pay based solely on trusting a publisher's track reckord, it might surprise them with something unexpected.

I do like the more dynamic storytelling of modern adventure games but they really end up lacking in the gameplay area even when comparing to older adventure games that also didnt had all that much gameplay.

Old adventure games felt stiff as fuck, almost as if time stopped and you were wondering around a static world where nothing but the player did anything at all, but they did had more options and content.

Basicly they should just avoid spoon-feeding the players like in that robot example.

"That's the joke" is generally one of the worst defenses one can muster.

Copper Zen:
...I'm having a Twin Peaks kind of day...

I thought the owls seemed rather strange today....

Alterego-X:
It seems to me the first half with the generic rant about kickstarters is entirely self-contradictory.

On one hand, Yahtzee is chastising the people for blindly throwing their money at Schafer and letting him build anything he wants, at the same time chastising the system for only producing games that people know they want in advance.

If anything, the former negates the latter. In a traditional transaction, people only buy what they expect to like in advance, but with crowdfunding, there is a chance that if they pay based solely on trusting a publisher's track reckord, it might surprise them with something unexpected.

That doesn't make any sense. You're saying people should trust a developer based on what they have made before to make something new, but that's not what people are gonna want if they fund it. They're gonna want more of what they already love about the developer.

What if Double Fine wanted to make an experimental free-roaming, third-person shooter where you switch from character to character randomly and also there are no humans or something ridiculous to that nature? No one would have given them any money because they weren't doing what they are famous for.

I like kickstarter because it provides a alternative to publishers, it's not perfect but neither are most other methods for funding a game.

Broken age seems interesting but I still have some other point and click games I want to finish before buying a new one.

all that money would have been better used for a psychonauts 2

canadamus_prime:

Funny, but it does bring up something interesting about the game. It's surprisingly not broke. For awhile it was going to be an "Early Access" game, but they decided agianst it since the first part is pretty much done. Say what you will about the gameplay and stuff, but I didn't hit any bugs or see much (besides a couple eyes) that should be fixed. It's nice to play a game before it was even released that actually works.

T3nno:
all that money would have been better used for a psychonauts 2

Schafer claims that Psychonauts 2 would have cost at least $13 million to make. He only thought Broken Age would cost a few hundred thousand and ended up spending, what, like $8 million? So, I don't think he was over-estimating when he said that.

There was a whole thing a few years ago about that when Notch said he would fund the developement of it, but he changed his mind when he heard how much it would cost.

Broken Age was kinda doomed and automatically going to succeed no matter what, since they were given 6 million dollars to fucking make it. So now even if everyone hated it, they still made their money, but at the same time people are going to look at this game and go "it cost 6 million to make THIS!?" and it's not going to live up to their expectations and be penalized for it.

I like this game more for what it started, popularizing the idea of Kickstarter and bringing up dozens of good games via that crowdfunding system since, more than itself as an actual game.Me? I'd rather donate to just have them release Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle on Steam already. Lucas Arts is dead, what the fuck is stopping them?

Oh my fucking Christ, that last gag would have had me spitting coffee, if I drank coffee and happened to have had some in my mouth at the time. It was very funny, is my point here.

All in all, best ZP for a while now.

Clovus:

canadamus_prime:

Funny, but it does bring up something interesting about the game. It's surprisingly not broke. For awhile it was going to be an "Early Access" game, but they decided agianst it since the first part is pretty much done. Say what you will about the gameplay and stuff, but I didn't hit any bugs or see much (besides a couple eyes) that should be fixed. It's nice to play a game before it was even released that actually works.

Well I was just making a very bad pun, it does still sound broken in the sense that Yahtzee describes the girl's story as a mess and it doesn't seem to have any connection to the guy's story. I don't know I haven't played it.

Auggey:

What if Double Fine wanted to make an experimental free-roaming, third-person shooter where you switch from character to character randomly and also there are no humans or something ridiculous to that nature? No one would have given them any money because they weren't doing what they are famous for.

Then they would have pitched that, instead of the point-and-click adventure game that they did.

It's not that Kickstarter projects are utterly divorced from audience expectations, only that it is nonsensical to blame them for limiting innovation MORE than traditional publishing.

I'm not saying that people "should trust" a developer, only that they evidently do trust it if they buy a game based on a basic genre description and vague inspiration references, instead of specific trailers, reviews and demos, so it's quite confusing to blame them BOTH for pandering to nostalgia and not being nostalgic enough.

I'm getting ads and no actual ZP video. Is something borked?

Angry Canadian Gamer:

I was just about to write up the same thing. The 45second video ad keeps going on loop and I can't see the video at all.

Angry Canadian Gamer:

Same for me. No video.

Angry Canadian Gamer:

Aye, I'm getting the promotional video of the Escapist shows, not the actual episode, no matter how much I refresh.

Angry Canadian Gamer:

I'm getting the same problem. I'm not sure why the Escapist is advertising itself to me when I'm already on their site. I'd much rather be watching the videos they're advertising.

anyone else just have the the escapist add play in an infinite loop?

T3hSource:

Angry Canadian Gamer:

Aye, I'm getting the promotional video of the Escapist shows, not the actual episode, no matter how much I refresh.

Same but it's not just for this video, it's quite a few links.
But the links appear to be ok, right title and comments, just the video is always that promo vid...

Hopefully it's something that can be fixed...

Great. Endless ads.

Confirming that there's some sort of issue. While I'll admit that the :45 clip advert is nicely put together, I'd kind of like to see this week's ZP.

Raioken18:

T3hSource:

Angry Canadian Gamer:

Same but it's not just for this video, it's quite a few links.
But the links appear to be ok, right title and comments, just the video is always that promo vid...

Hopefully it's something that can be fixed...

Fifthed - Oh dear.

Seems a common problem them. 'cause i got the 8:10min long video with snippets from all the show on a infinite loop.

>:( No ZP for me today then.

Adeptus Aspartem:
Seems a common problem them. 'cause i got the 8:10min long video with snippets from all the show on a infinite loop.

I also got that, but I watched it thinking Yahtzee was doing some elaborate joke about the game with the snippets of Escapist shows. XD

Broken Age? More like BROKEN PAGE *snort*

Yeah, this is kind of a problem.

It's affecting all the videos on the site from what I can tell

Adeptus Aspartem:

Same here, but at least the video is as broken as the game known as Broken Age

Is it the Escapists' plan to make people use the Youtube site by making it impossible to view videos on the Escapists' website?

It seems Broken Age is not the only thing that is broken! *Ba dum tsssh*

But yeah, that's an issue. Please somebody fix it.

uanime5:
Is it the Escapists' plan to make people use the Youtube site by making it impossible to view videos on the Escapists' website?

That plan......IS BRILLIANTLY BRILLIANT! <O<

EDIT: My god! The badges are gone too! D:

I'm not seeing a video either, just an endless ad.

Damn Broken age broken page..... TO YOUTUBE ROBIN!!!

KefkaCultist:

Adeptus Aspartem:

I also got that, but I watched it thinking Yahtzee was doing some elaborate joke about the game with the snippets of Escapist shows. XD

I also thought that it was just Yahtzee fucking with us at first.....

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here