Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Greatest Game Ever Made

The Greatest Game Ever Made

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

I'm right there with you Yahtzee; green open fields can also make a great place for a garbage dump.

Y'know, if they had made only the Concept section the only part of Greenlight that's open to anyone, and you had to go through Valve's and audiences' approval to upgrade into the game section, I think there would be a lot less garbage in Greenlight in general. I mean, yeah, call it unfair to treat a complete (or "complete") game like a concept, but if such a two-stage approach is used it would deter several people who just have an idea or some poorly-made alpha or beta build they're trying to push as a game.

And you can't just be an "idea guy" either. If you want to make games, you need to at least learn one of the many skills a development team needs. Writing, coding, art assets, music composition, sound effect creation and foley, even skills like accounting and management are necessary.

Hey Jim I hope you Have A Nice Day and you're not turning into a little Runaway. Some lawyers might say Wanted Dead Or Alive but I'm sure you'll Never Say Goodbye. Just tell them It's My Life and Have a Nice Day.....

I feel like a complete moron for not getting Jim's until it was basically over

Yahtzee: Most of the games I see on Greenlight aren't even worth the down vote.

Jim:

Oh Jim you sneaky man reading Living on the Prayer by Bon Jovi

Yahtzee: Yes indeed, that was the very project I was thinking about. That exact one; both of them, in fact. How did you know? Perchance, are you a mind reader or Jesus?

Jim: Seems somebody has already stolen your heartfelt tribute poem, put some cheesy "80's nostalgia" music behind it, and put it up on Youtube... on Vivo of all places. It's got, like, millions of views and all they did was change three words! Time to issue an automated copyright claim and grab all the ad revenue from it while you sue the shit out of them!

Also, candy. It truly brings the whole thing together.

Not quite a recognisable song, but I got it anyway since I've heard the title a few times before.
I'm sure King are extremely proud, though :)

I'm having a problem with this video: it's not loading. It's just playing the same 45 second ad for The Escapist's video series. HELP!

Apparently all videos on the Escapist are just playing that 45 second ad and everyone's having trouble with it, myself included.

TheGrueHunter:
Apparently all videos on the Escapist are just playing that 45 second ad and everyone's having trouble with it, myself included.

Hey all, we are looking into this issue right now. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Jim missed the opportunity to sing a U2 song in his Bono voice.

I've been kinda hard on Jim Sterling of late;
My comments have shown an appreciable ire.
And Yahtzee's opinions I don't always rate.
(I've never been one to spew bile and hellfire.)

These critics have showered a great deal of praise
On games that I feel I might have been rash
To purchase, when really they were just a craze
That caused me to spend boundless oodles of cash.

But though we don't always agree on what counts
As pleasant diversions to waste our free time,
In these very comments I hearby pronounce
(In fact I will proclaim the whole thing in rhyme!)

That each Wednesday night, when from work I come home,
Driving my motor that last dreary mile,
Now that I've escaped from my desk and my phone,
I think of this video series. And smile!

Your insight, your humour, your bite and your wit,
Your...
Your...

Oh dear, it appears I've gone down in a blaze of glory, and as a result am neither an army of one nor the last man standing. I guess I have to blame it on the love of rock and roll?

It baffles me why ALL of the comments on this series aren't in iambic pentameter. Unless they're limericks.

Kenjitsuka:
Not quite a recognisable song, but I got it anyway since I've heard the title a few times before.
I'm sure King are extremely proud, though :)

Really? I thought the song still gets played in stores and on the radio...

Do anyone know what song Jimmy was copyright inferencing on?

But the winner this week was Yahtzee. Because the no-uselful-skilled idea guy sound a lot like me when it comes to my dream of a Sandbox game that can be beaten by just camping (actual, non game related camping) and killing scouting parties.

Dr.Awkward:

And you can't just be an "idea guy" either. If you want to make games, you need to at least learn one of the many skills a development team needs. Writing, coding, art assets, music composition, sound effect creation and foley, even skills like accounting and management are necessary.

You're the ideas guy?
yes
all you're going to contribute is the Idea?
yes
the one you already told?
yes
Is the idea copyrighted?
Well no
Ok. Bye

Goliath100:
Do anyone know what song Jimmy was copyright inferencing on?

It was already mention in the comments: "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi.

That was beautiful, Jim. I love just speaking the lyrics of songs as opposed to singing them, and it's nice to hear another do it.

And how subtle, Yahtzee, I applaud.

Haha, Yahtzee's end answered my immediate thought, "Wait, this is like a million game projects now... which is it?" Great poem.

Jim, teehee. Thanks for another great entry.

mike1921:
I feel like a complete moron for not getting Jim's until it was basically over

Ironically, I just got the joke after reading your post. I must have been distracted by the sudden "candy candy CANDY" outburst.

I think.... Jim won this week. Can it be?

TheGrueHunter:

I watched standard definition Zero Punctuation videos for years and years with no subscription, and every time the unskippable ad videos would annoy me the heck out of me. Then i realised the pub club was pocket change for amazing content I have been enjoying for years for free, in inferior quality. Since subbing, i started watching all the other videos posted here and I get way more value out than I ever did before. Even though its fairly self explanatory, I do think the escapist could be doing more to push people towards taking up the sub than it currently does.

tl;dr - don't like the ads, take out the pub club sub!

BunnyKillBot:
I think.... Jim won this week. Can it be?

Nope, I think we're the ones who won. Yahtzee and Jim are the reason we just won and for that we thank them. But for one of them to win it'd have to be a competition, which it actually isn't (despite the verb-down naming convention).

Wow. Yahtzee's one pretty much is the story of moddb/indiedb.
"I'm the ideas guy" and "I just downloaded <random engine SDK>, I want to make an MMORPG" are REALLY common.

BunnyKillBot:

TheGrueHunter:

I watched standard definition Zero Punctuation videos for years and years with no subscription, and every time the unskippable ad videos would annoy me the heck out of me. Then i realised the pub club was pocket change for amazing content I have been enjoying for years for free, in inferior quality. Since subbing, i started watching all the other videos posted here and I get way more value out than I ever did before. Even though its fairly self explanatory, I do think the escapist could be doing more to push people towards taking up the sub than it currently does.

tl;dr - don't like the ads, take out the pub club sub!

...not what I was talking about at all. You must have missed it. For a short while, the site was playing the advertisement and only the advertisement. It would never actually play the video itself. It's fixed now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here