Escape to the Movies: That Awkward Moment

Pages 1 2 NEXT

That Awkward Moment

The most awkward movie comes out in the most awkward month for movie releases. Coincidence? Probably.

Watch Video

I almost want to watch it anyway just to see what it's like...

But, I do think Miles Teller is showing some promise as an actor. I saw this movie called The Spectacular Now recently and I thought he did pretty well in the part.(EDIT: The fact that he got confused for Joseph Gordon Levitt can't be bad :D)

I 'unno. It's been weeks since the last time I've been to the movies, and I really want to go again. So, maybe I'll just throw a dart. But, out of all the movies, this one seems to look the least bad, I suppose, if that is worth anything.

God, if Oscar movies from last year didn't get delayed til this month, there would be literally nothing good to watch for me in January. However, last year, there was The Last Stand, which I somewhat liked.

Definitely a "Fuck you, it's January" movie.

happy F**k you, It's January, MovieBob. It's almost over.

Yay, more stuff released to pander to my generation, how fun(!)

I saw my future opinion of the movie from a mile away, just based on the title.

As for Nintendo, they seriously need to stop whatever it is that they are doing now:

"So... the 3DS isn't selling that well, what should we do?"

"Uh... OH! MAKE ANOTHER CONSOLE!"

*fast forwards*

"So... the WiiU isn't selling that well either, any ideas?"

"NINTENDO FUSION!"

Guys, please stop releasing more hardware to try and sell your current hardware, just bring out the usual stuff, it will sell, and everything will continue as normal.

Unless you create "Fun for All the Family" VR sets/arenas, you will never come close to the landslide that was the Wii.

I'm guessing The Escapist wouldn't let bob do a video review of Return to Nuke'em High: Volume 1 this week. Would have been way more interesting than the crap that came out this week.

I really wish The Lego Movie or anything remotely good was coming down the pipes this week. But, its January; the "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" month for movies. Best to hunker down and go through Netflix, Redbox, or your local video rental store (assuming there is still one in your neighborhood) for anything worth watching.

All I got out from this was "LEGO Movie is coming out soon!"

Speaking of which, when is it coming out exactly? I'm hoping to do another siblings day out and it would make a great high point to it.

The reason you aren't excited for this new Godzilla movie is because of PACIFIC RIM.

I mean really, once you have a BUNCH of giant monsters battling cool giant robots, what's so exciting about one giant monster versus some normal ol' humans?

Booooooring!

Well I won't watch this in cinema that's for sure. Seems like the kind of thing I'll watch to mellow out after watching something serious. I don't think anybody really expected anything more than that for this.

Miles Teller is alright, he was pretty good in The Spectacular Now at least(although forgettable in everything else).

Akichi Daikashima:
Yay, more stuff released to pander to my generation, how fun(!)

I saw my future opinion of the movie from a mile away, just based on the title.

As for Nintendo, they seriously need to stop whatever it is that they are doing now:

"So... the 3DS isn't selling that well, what should we do?"

"Uh... OH! MAKE ANOTHER CONSOLE!"

*fast forwards*

"So... the WiiU isn't selling that well either, any ideas?"

"NINTENDO FUSION!"

Guys, please stop releasing more hardware to try and sell your current hardware, just bring out the usual stuff, it will sell, and everything will continue as normal.

Unless you create "Fun for All the Family" VR sets/arenas, you will never come close to the landslide that was the Wii.

No. It will not continue like normal. The thing is, that Nintendo is still stuck in 200 and fucking 5! Did you know that not a single member of their board have used an ipad? That is insane and so stupid. It was only this month that they started to use universal accounts for its users. They still treat third party as shit, so third party are not focusing on Nintendo consoles. They still ship out manuals in Japanese to the dev who are making games for their console. That is so damn arrogant that it sickens me. The median age of the members of the board is over 60. They need some young blood. They need to start to focus on the western market (face it, that is the place where games are selling the most) and stop being so full of shit.

The reason you should be excited for Godzillia is because it's Godzilla!

I mean, yeah, Pacific Rim was great and all... but it owes a loooot to big green.

Ed130:

Speaking of which, when is it coming out exactly? I'm hoping to do another siblings day out and it would make a great high point to it.

Feb 14th in the UK, I imagine it might be out a bit earlier in the US (assuming thats where you're from, since I think most escapists are) though the soonest dates I've seen are Feb 6 so not that much earlier

The Dubya:
The reason you aren't excited for this new Godzilla movie is because of PACIFIC RIM.

I mean really, once you have a BUNCH of giant monsters battling cool giant robots, what's so exciting about one giant monster versus some normal ol' humans?

Booooooring!

Actually, there's more than one monster. Godzilla seems to be taking his 80's series antihero persona, rather than the outright villain from the original or the superhero from the 60s-70s films. Godzilla will be the force of nature that doesn't give a shit about the humans he's stomping on, they're just in the way while he goes to fight some other giant monsters.

Apparently there are going to be at least two monsters for him to fight, according to the reports from Comic-Con. One of them is said to look like a big ass centipede crossed with the Cloverfield monster.

Does this guy look at ANYTHING outside of the race/gender/sexuality lens? I guess the whole site has drawn in that crowd, but Bob is the worst I think.

Well fuck. I was really hoping you'd review "Her".

Mr. Q:
I'm guessing The Escapist wouldn't let bob do a video review of Return to Nuke'em High: Volume 1 this week. Would have been way more interesting than the crap that came out this week.

He did a write up on that last week for Intermission. I clicked some of the links and, while it certainly is an American '80s nostalgia trip, I don't think there's much more you could add that wasn't in his

I really wish The Lego Movie or anything remotely good was coming down the pipes this week. But, its January; the "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" month for movies. Best to hunker down and go through Netflix, Redbox, or your local video rental store (assuming there is still one in your neighborhood) for anything worth watching.

I've used the opportunity to watch the entire Godfather series and The Usual Suspects (Kaisar Soze!) with Scarface, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Labowski planned for the next few weeks.

Pallindromemordnillap:

Ed130:

Feb 14th in the UK, I imagine it might be out a bit earlier in the US (assuming thats where you're from, since I think most escapists are) though the soonest dates I've seen are Feb 6 so not that much earlier

The LEGO Movie is coming to theaters Feb. 7th, which too this Legomaniac is NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

I wish one of these years there would be a good movie out on my birthday.

The reason you aren't excited, or able to say why you aren't excited, about Godzilla is because they haven't shown you enough to get excited about. The trailers are AMAZING trailers, but you still don't know what that means for the movie.

I wanna know who the hell thinks it's a good idea to keep making rom-coms based in New York... or rom-coms at all for that matter.

I don't care about your cocky but charming main character, I don't care about your new age, outside the box, 'I buy all my clothes second hand because it gives them personality' love interest, I don't care about your wise cracking yet sad inside comedic relief character and I sure as shit don't care about your 'hey, traditionl values are okay after all' f*cking message... F*CK ME I HATE ROM-COMS!

Glad to see this sounds as awful as the bus-ads made me think.

Ten bob says that someone somewhere is trying to greenlight/produce a film called "mfw".

The Gentleman:

Mr. Q:

He did a write up on that last week for Intermission. I clicked some of the links and, while it certainly is an American '80s nostalgia trip, I don't think there's much more you could add that wasn't in his

I've used the opportunity to watch the entire Godfather series and The Usual Suspects (Kaisar Soze!) with Scarface, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Labowski planned for the next few weeks.

Good choice of movies there. Need to go through my DVD/Blu-ray collection to re-watch Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction.

Hehe, I'm in the UK... January is the ONLY good month for movies! We've had so far: "12 years a Slave", "Inside Llewyn Davis", "The Wolf of Wall Street", "American Hustle", etc. Last year we got "Django Unchained". The year before that, "Shame", "Martha Marcy May Marlene", "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

Seriously, if you want good films in January, live in the UK.

Well, it's getting easier to tell when Moviebob didn't like a movie largely because it hit his buttons...

I don't doubt That Awkward Moment is neither Oscar fodder nor some sleeper hit that's destined for surprise cult status. But what I've seen doesn't suggest it warrants this kind of scathing contempt, either, nor does MB's review really make the case for it. That it's fluff, I never doubted. What I didn't get was whether the writing was any good, or the characters had any chemistry, or if the romance overplot was more or less contrived than usual for the genre; whether I would watch half an hour of it on Netflix before deciding that it wasn't worth it for free, or if I'd catch it for $3 with my wife at the second run theater and come out with a smile on my face despite forgetting it the next day. Y'know, my "heteronormative biases" safely confirmed.

I do find it slightly interesting that the plot as described bears a more than slight resemblance to Love's Labor's Lost. I wonder if that was at all intentional, or if that's giving it too much credit (or simply one more case of "there's only x number of plots, everything is a variation").

The Dubya:

Booooooring!

My thoughts exactly. (I actually went to the comment section with this very hypothesis in mind, but got beaten to the punch.) It took me awhile before I realised why I wasn't excited over the thought of a new Godzilla film, until I re-watched the trailer shortly after re-watching Pacific Rim for the umpteenth time.

Well thankfully I didn't see adverts for it, so I'll forget about it much faster. As for Nintendo, yeah it's sad but I'm sure they'll come up with something to pull through.

Wow, this does seem like a mind numbingly boring little flick.

As for Ninty, I wish I'd have lots of money to throw at them, but I just can't justify buying a new console at the moment, not with a 400+ library of PC games.

MovieBob, sometimes those of us who get jealous over you getting to see movies early forget how much you have to suffer through bad crap like this to keep reviewing the good stuff.

Thanks for sitting through what was apparently a really large steaming pile for us, so that we don't have to. (Not that I think many here would have though That Awkward Moment was a good idea for a night out, but whatever.)

Have I mentioned that I REALLY hate awkward moments? ...Also, Satoru Iwata certainly is a trooper, cutting his own wages in half instead of laying off employees. If only Western CEOs can learn from his example.

I think Bob's opinion of the movie is best expressed at 00:23.

jdarksun:
The reason you should be excited for Godzillia is because it's Godzilla!

I mean, yeah, Pacific Rim was great and all... but it owes a loooot to big green.

While that is certainly true, I would argue this particular installment involving big green (I'm repeating that because I actually like the way it sounds - not to be snarky), owes EVERYTHING to Pacific Rim.

I imagine that this could have been a project that had been laying around for years waiting for the right moment with the studio wanting to undo the last Godzilla flop with a reboot, but not really knowing how or when. Given that Legendary Pictures did quality work with Pacific Rim and that they are behind the production of this new Godzilla, WB as the distributor (and having purchased the rights to Godzilla just a few years ago), could have just been taking a safe risk with del Toro's Pacific Rim just to see if they could pull off a serious money maker in Godzilla down the line.

And, del Toro brings his best game, and shows everybody how it's done. And even though its initial release was in the West and even though Western general audiences didn't give it much attention, for whatever reason, it was a smash in Japan - like they have a fandom of it now. So (speculation), the studio says - OH! That's how you do it! They pull out the script, make revisions to update it, get a army of special effects artists together and because dark, hard, moody remakes-by-committee of light-hearted source material are in, they go with that (end speculation). And it's just silly to me that the only thing Japanese about it that I can tell (other than Godzilla walks out of the ocean from that direction) is the kanji on the title card, and possibly two or three cast members. Really? But then if they want it to sell in the West better than PR, I guess they have to infuse some of that Roland Emerich-esque "magic" into the script to draw out today's general American audience.

Granted, the visuals in the preview look stunning; the mood is ominous; and the action looks exciting. But this one's very existence is, in all likelihood, riding on the coattails of better, more clever work, more original work.

I would bet money that if Pacific Rim had been a failure as a production, this movie wouldn't be happening now. But hey, this could be an awesome movie regardless. Though, I still think an attentive eye will see a difference between passion project, and blockbuster formula.

Still goin to see it since I have this feeling Bob's dislike of the movie is more along the lines of why he dislikes the American Pie movies than anything. Not that there's anythin wrong with that.

That and the character Miles Teller is playing seems to be the same character from 21 & Over which just clicked with me. Its like a less douchebaggey version of Stifler from American Pie.

You're doing dog's work Bob. Thanks for doing what you have to for us man. You're able to sit through a movie that I would never have even thought to approach and still provide insightful feedback. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Lego Movie. I...I'm just damned excited for that one. I feel like I shouldn't be, but I am. As far as Godzilla goes, I'm in the same boat. I really, really want to be excited for this. I can't be because I've been promised so much from all of these reboots/re-imaginings/revisiting of worlds and feel like over all it's been one big meh. I just am not physically capable of generating an interest anymore. Now I sit and hope that I'll be surprised and the movie will be good. I expect these films to either suck or be very, very dull at worst. I guess we'll see. By the way, have you seen Robocop yet? I've heard some early reports that our worst fears have been confirmed. It's boring.

SupahGamuh:
Wow, this does seem like a mind numbingly boring little flick.

As for Ninty, I wish I'd have lots of money to throw at them, but I just can't justify buying a new console at the moment, not with a 400+ library of PC games.

Oh god, my Steam backlog D: I find the safest policy is to just not look at it, that way it can't fill me with dread.

Also Nintendo really dropped the ball themselves on this one. If no one knows that your new system is a new system no one is going to buy it. Probably one of the biggest marketing fails I've seen for a very long time, completely preventable.

MB202:
Have I mentioned that I REALLY hate awkward moments? ...Also, Satoru Iwata certainly is a trooper, cutting his own wages in half instead of laying off employees. If only Western CEOs can learn from his example.

Beginning in 1978 Lee Iacocca as Chairman and CEO of Chrysler Corporation cut his own salary to $1.00 per year and encouraged his subordinate salary takers to structure cuts to their own pay as well, amidst lay-offs, in order to save the company from financial ruin (many of the laid-off workers were later able to return to their jobs). After being fired from Ford Motor Company following the revelation of serious design flaws in the Ford Pinto model, Chrysler picked him up to help restructure.

Granted that was a long time ago though. And you're right, that kind of self-sacrifice for the good of as many people in the company as possible is a very rare thing.

Oh the fucks that I don't give about a bunch of single male models having 'issues' with their love life. Screw them, bring someone I can care about first, not people I would rather drop off a cliff.

The previews for this movie just come off as, "Hey everyone, aren't guys awesome." Glad to hear I can safely skip this one.

As for Godzilla, I can easily articulate why I'm not excited. The Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here