The Big Picture: The Devil You Know - Part II

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Devil You Know - Part II

Bob continues his analysis of Satan in popular media.

Watch Video

I think I prefer the first episode, though this episode was pretty interesting. Ned Flanders as the Devil is certainly one of my favourites as well.

You know when you said I would be surprised on your favorite Satan, I wasn't considering it was Ned Flanders Satan of all depictions.

Interesting, I really liked this one. I will say that the Devil's current depiction by the media is more Zoroastrian in nature via Angra Mainyu (Ahriman) than a relatively powerless opponent of the biblical devil but this was a fun watch. Thanks!

Angra Mainyu was around 300 BCE. So it predates Christianity and the religion was relatively powerful around the 200's CE so it synched up well enough with Christianity's formative years to encourage crossover.

This is the best devil IMO.

So slimy and so much fun also.

I do sometimes wonder if we can ever put a finger on the point in human cultural history where the Biblical depictiion of the Devil in Western culture ended, and the more fanciful pop-culture-esque version most of us are more familiar with began.

Wait, do people not remember Cow and Chicken?

I mean that show was pretty out there and had some pretty bizarre themes and imagery so it's not like it was particularly forgettable or anything.

Did it not have a long run in America or something? Because it was shown constantly on Cartoon Network when I was a kid.

Chernobog(Чернобог) was a deity to the Western Slavs, hence explains why I've never heard of it(Bulgarian, Southern Slav). Not only that but the dominance of Christianity through the middle ages also didn't leave much.

It is the combination of the words of черно-black and бог-god, so it's exactly what it is: Black God. Yes there is also a White God(Belobog) in Slavic mythology as well.

Awesome video! I'm constantly blown away by the idea that Satan was in Animaniacs... Also, lol at Ned Flanders being Bob's favorite Devil! XD

Also, is Cow & Chicken really all that obscure/forgettable? I can think of plenty of other Cartoon Network shows WAY more obscure and forgettable then that, even around that time! Remember Mike, Lu, & Og? Probably not.

for all the screen caps of Big S you gave, you didn't touch on Lucy: Daughter of the Devil? for SHAME!

but Bob! I do remember cow and chicken...or vague. vague instances, probably filtered because of just how messed up the show actually was.

One of the best versions of the Devil in pop culture was Tim Curry's Darkness in Legend, although Bittersteel's pick of the Devil from Constantine is high up on that list too. Also, growing up on old Disney cartoons, I do recall that short where Pluto went to hell. That was one dark cartoon. And, yes, I recall Cow and Chicken but I was more of a Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls fan. Shame we couldn't cover all of the Devil entries.

So, do you think the Comic Code and the collapse of the comic code has anything to do with why I have to suffer through so much Zombie stuff? Just a thought spurred on by this episode.

I second Peter Stomare as Satan. He and Tilda Swinton were the only good things in that entire movie.

My favorite fictional satan/devil is Lucifer Neil Gaiman's Sandman - of course the angel kicked out for arrogance would be super-bishi

Okay...wear headphones if you have to for this.

It's at 5:12, or there abouts. There's a brief whisper there that I hear.

YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT!!!

(Okay, yeah, you probably could. I'm really left wondering what happened at that part and if I'm the only one that hears it)

I have to say though, that Tim Curry devil was pretty...well, frightening, actually.

I left this episode amused, educated and annoyed.

Cow and Chicken was the shit and I will hear nothing else.

To me the best depiction has to be from Old Harry's Game, a bbc radio series starring Andy Hamilton. The series is one of the best comedies I've heard it's consistently funny and origional as well as being smarter than a lot of sitcoms.
It's all audio originally but there are a few clips were animated and put on youtube

Conner42:
Okay...wear headphones if you have to for this.

It's at 5:12, or there abouts. There's a brief whisper there that I hear.

YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT!!!

(Okay, yeah, you probably could. I'm really left wondering what happened at that part and if I'm the only one that hears it)

I have to say though, that Tim Curry devil was pretty...well, frightening, actually.

Nope, I hear it too. Either bob doesn't have adequate sound proofing when he's recording or someone else was in the room (or some other sound source at least).

But let's go crazy and say it's subliminal messages. Fits with the theme no?

Bittersteel:

Absolutely - Peter Stormare does a fantastic villain to begin with, but having him as THE villain? So good.

MB202:
Awesome video! I'm constantly blown away by the idea that Satan was in Animaniacs... Also, lol at Ned Flanders being Bob's favorite Devil! XD

For those of you wondering, here it is:

And much like any other antagonist on the show, the devil is really no match for them. :)

And is it wrong that the only thing I could think of when I saw the Legend clip was "That headpiece had to be rough to wear!" ?

avouleance2nd:
To me the best depiction has to be from Old Harry's Game, a bbc radio series starring Andy Hamilton.

YES.

As soon as I discovered the series a few years ago, Andy Hamilton eclipsed any and all other Satans, past or future, for me.

And now I'm going to have to go listen to a few episodes of Old Harry's Game...

Yeah, I have to say Devil Flanders is my favorite depiction as well.

Stupid sexy evil Flanders...

I was hoping for a more in depth explication of the comic book devil analogs.

And no Pacino? If one factors in the drop in violent crime, infant mortality, and even divorce since the 90's the movie if oddly prophetic; he WAS peaking here.

surprisingly, one of my favorite depictions of the Satan was as Sam from Supernatural. It seemed a lot more plausible because he seemed more a complex being with moral, albeit a huge God complex( no pun intended). His mere existence and why he turned seemed to be more in the shades of gray rather than black and white.

Was always partial to Viggo Mortensen's Satan from The Prophecy:

His exchange with Christopher Walken's Gabriel later in the film is even better.

I also liked the Devil from the short-lived series Brimstone.

That is the first time I had a good look at "Darkness" from Legend and bloody hell, his horns are HUGE! I mean my vision of satan does not have huge horns! As for my favourite portaryal of Satan, I guess that could be from South Park or Doctor Who and runner up would be the film This is the End and Tenacious D song Tribute.

This was awesome.

Now, do one of these for Loki.

Finally some cred for Lucifer (DC Vertigo's Lucifer, that is)!
Yeah, I'm a fan, and even though the series isn't published any longer (which I am fine with) it always brightens my day when he gets at least a mention.

Bittersteel:

Yup, I pretty much came in here to mention this guy. He's kind of how you'd expect the devil to be after hosting hell and damnation in his backyard for an eternity or two.

Aw man, no Devilman or Prince of Darkness? :(

The reason why pop culture has less of a problem with the devil than with other elements was because it was used a lot more as a personal demon than as THE devil. Some of the examples listed (like Tom & Jerry) does not depict that devil as THE one and only king of darkness, but as the mischievous side of the character, or as the "personal hell" version.

It is similar to the cliche trope of depicting an angelic and a devilish copy of the character sitting on each shoulder when he faces a moral dilemma. That trope became so ingrained in pop culture that, even then, no one associated it with the catholic representation.

Good choice, by the way. I totally forgot about Devil Flanders when thinking about my favorites, but he is up there... Although my personal favorite is still Al Pacino.

Next time you got time on your hands how about do death?

Damn you Bob! You used that image of Dave Grohl from Tenacious D so many times, yet you didn't even bother to mention him, despite it being one of the most explicit and funny depictions of the character.

The Big D actually has appeared in Marvel Comics recently, in a Wolverine storyline in which he died and went to hell.

Comics being what they are, Logan met some family, a few other faces you wouldn't expect (Puck), suffered a lot, then climbed his way out of the flaming pit and got better. Meanwhile his body was possessed by demons and was giving hell to everyone he cared about. Now in another book, him and a few X-Men have gone the other direction and are fighting for heaven against Nightcrawler's deadbeat dad Azazel.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here