Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Video Game Remakes

Top 5 Video Game Remakes

List lists off the top 5 games that were so good, they got remakes.

Watch Video

Pokemon Sapphire is my favorite Pokemon game because, while I was part of the generation that was young enough to love the shit out of the original games, Sapphire reawakened my love for the franchise.

Yeah, that was a pretty decent list. I'm more favorable towards The Twin Snakes rather than Bionic Commando Rearmed but I guess that would just make the list 100% Nintendo.

Nice arms Lisa. :)

That said, I'm not a big fan of remakes of games, I prefer new games to be created rather than simply recycling and rebooting old material. I tend to think that if you feel something MUST be remade, the proper thing to do is to create a sequel with new technology and keep moving forward rather than just doing the same thing a bit differently. Not to mention that honestly when I tend to think of remakes I usually think of disasters like the HD version of "Silent Hill", I guess part of my attitude might be that most of the games I got excited for remakes of wound up not being all that good.

That said, a very decent list, it actually seems like that version of "Resident Evil" (which I never played) was kind of what I was hoping for when I heard they were re-doing the original Silent Hill for HD many moons ago.

There's only one remake that knocked my socks off, and that's Medievil Resurrection on the PSP.
It took what made the original great and expanded on it, while still retaining the charm and the feel of the original.
Medievil's a great series already, but the remake set the bar for what a remake should be like.

My top remakes:
1. Resident Evil Remake (SOOOOO good)
2. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
3. Final Fantasy IV DS (except for the BS skill items)
4. Metroid: Zero Mission
5. Ducktales

King of Asgaard:
There's only one remake that knocked my socks off, and that's Medievil Resurrection on the PSP.
It took what made the original great and expanded on it, while still retaining the charm and the feel of the original.
Medievil's a great series already, but the remake set the bar for what a remake should be like.

If only they'd actually make another game for it. Or Croc. Because those games were part of my childhood.

Big_Willie_Styles:

King of Asgaard:

If only they'd actually make another game for it. Or Croc. Because those games were part of my childhood.

I'm actually glad no more were made, because I don't trust modern developers not to fuck it up in some way.
Sure, the remake was damn good, but the bulk of the work was already done for them; all they had to do was update it.
I'd prefer to cling to the nostalgia of the originals than have their memory sullied by a modern interpretation which falls short.

1) Head Over Heels (Amstrad, remake to PC)
2) Wizball (C64, remake to PC)
3) Blazing Trails (remake of Trailblazer (ZX Spectrum) to PC)
4) Klass Of '99 (remake of Skool Daze (Speccy) to PC)
5) Atic Atac (Speccy, remake to PC)

The RetroSpec guys are GODS.

Honourable mention - Spindizzy Dimensions (remake of Spindizzy (Speccy) to PC). Not finished yet (and not a RetroSpec release), but it looks absolutely fucking stupendous and hopefully this mention will encourage the dude to get up off his duff, stop playing around with the IsoRealms engine and actually finish the damn thing.

King of Asgaard:

Big_Willie_Styles:

King of Asgaard:

I'm actually glad no more were made, because I don't trust modern developers not to fuck it up in some way.
Sure, the remake was damn good, but the bulk of the work was already done for them; all they had to do was update it.
I'd prefer to cling to the nostalgia of the originals than have their memory sullied by a modern interpretation which falls short.

I'd love an open world game during the Revolutionary War (somehow Sir Daniel's body ends up on a ship headed to the Americas.) And a sequel could take place in the Wild West, same open world scenario.

Big_Willie_Styles:

King of Asgaard:

Big_Willie_Styles:

I'd love an open world game during the Revolutionary War (somehow Sir Daniel's body ends up on a ship headed to the Americas.) And a sequel could take place in the Wild West, same open world scenario.

See, this is exactly what I wouldn't want to see. Medievil works best in its fantasy setting, as in the original. Medievil 2 was great because of its Victorian steampunk setting, since it was a fresh take on it which made sense. Putting Dan in the revolutionary war makes no sense, for the simple reason that it's such a huge leap in setting. Remember, Medievil has always taken place in a fake Britain filled with magic, and at no point were there any allusions or references to real world historical occurrences, so suddenly plonking Dan in a war area sounds both boring and contrary to the series' charm. The same thing goes for the wild west; seeing Dan in the inevitable ten gallon hat just doesn't sit well with me and just misses the point.

King of Asgaard:
See, this is exactly what I wouldn't want to see. Medievil works best in its fantasy setting, as in the original. Medievil 2 was great because of its Victorian steampunk setting, since it was a fresh take on it which made sense. Putting Dan in the revolutionary war makes no sense, for the simple reason that it's such a huge leap in setting. Remember, Medievil has always taken place in a fake Britain filled with magic, and at no point were there any allusions or references to real world historical occurrences, so suddenly plonking Dan in a war area sounds both boring and contrary to the series' charm. The same thing goes for the wild west; seeing Dan in the inevitable ten gallon hat just doesn't sit well with me and just misses the point.

Imagine a Steampunk game with the Revolutionary War as a backdrop! It would be amazing.

Big_Willie_Styles:

King of Asgaard:

Imagine a Steampunk game with the Revolutionary War as a backdrop! It would be amazing.

Nope, I still disagree. Why put a fictional fantasy character into real world events? The juxtaposition would be too jarring, especially since Medievil has never been about that. Presumably, this is precisely why no more were made, because an appropriate setting couldn't be thought up.

King of Asgaard:
Nope, I still disagree. Why put a fictional fantasy character into real world events? The juxtaposition would be too jarring, especially since Medievil has never been about that. Presumably, this is precisely why no more were made, because an appropriate setting couldn't be thought up.

Imagine a fantasy Steampunk magic fight atop a train roaring towards a blown up bridge!

(How about he goes back in time through some fantasy MacGuffin? Think King Arthur or Viking times or even feudal Japan!)

Big_Willie_Styles:

King of Asgaard:

Imagine a fantasy Steampunk magic fight atop a train roaring towards a blown up bridge!

(How about he goes back in time through some fantasy MacGuffin? Think King Arthur or Viking times or even feudal Japan!)

OK, firstly,

How about he goes back in time through some fantasy MacGuffin?

by the end of the second game

Secondly,

King Arthur

No.

Viking times

No.

feudal Japan

Hell No.

The strength of the world within Medievil exists is its originality. Say what you want about it being typical nowadays ( I don't think it is; it's still more creative than most fantasy settings) but back in its day there was nothing like it. Concordantly, setting a hypothetical future title in one of the above you mentioned simply would not fit the feel of the series at all. In fact, it would detract from the overall charm.

King of Asgaard:
snip

We need an HD remake of the first two then. But that would make me have to get a PS4 when I just got a PS3 a few months ago...

The Persona remakes have been pretty damn good.

I also loved the Klonoa remake as well.

Tanis:
The Persona remakes have been pretty damn good.

With Persona 4 Golden I would agree, but with Persona 3? Eh... I'd say that it made things much worse overall, the graphics, the presentation, the lack of cutscenes, cutting out an entire game mode. The only thing good it had was the ability to control party members directly, which should have been in the base game to begin with.

OT: Final Fantasy 4 DS is my favorite remake, and the one I hold up as a shining example of what video game remakes should be, and one that I hope the rest of the 2D Final Fantasy games eventually follow. It has a retranslated but not butchered script, the story and combat is the same with the exception of a couple tiny tweaks here and there, it's become a fully 3D game with beautiful visuals that nonetheless retains the same overall look and layout of the original game, and last but not least there's quite a few things added on top of that, and most of it works but isn't really necessary to complete the game. Now if only most other remakes could manage to do the same maybe remakes wouldn't have such a bad reputation.

that RE remake should have ended up on all platforms (in my case pc). i was so stunned how good it looked but no, GC only.
otherwise, if i think of it what remakes are good. i have to say monkey island 1 and 2.

Lisa... I think I love you D:

This might be the Top 5 you've done where I agreed on (almost) every single pick, ESPECIALLY Resident Evil and Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Twin Snakes would've been a better pick than Punch-Out, but meh, great list as always! :D

wow so apparently i played the wrong resident evil and no wonder i hated it.

Though boxing lisa? If your serious about that one you can say good bye to your pretty face then.

Is it just me, or does she have a crazy long kneck?

Isn't ass kicking against the rules in boxing?

Does Ducktales: Remastered count? I'm loving that game right now.

Somebody needs to make a gif of that flexing action, and maybe the boxing.

I loved the remake of Castle of Ilusion, it was gorgeous. Ducktales remastered was also great, now I keep expecting they'll remake Quackshot.

Its hard to find good remakes because they are always just a graphic upgrade.

I was looking for Bionic Commando on the PSN and found this other remake for the PS3:

http://us.playstation.com/games/bionic-commando-ps3.html

have anyone played it? It looks more like a 3rd person shooter with some spiderman action. Also, he's all gritty and serious.

Pretty good list, the only two that I feel deserved a place here and weren't were (of course) Twin Snakes, and the outstanding Sid Meier's Pirates! remake.

Liked the remakes for the first 2 final fantasy games on the psp

My first time playing ti and really liked the design and extra content they put in.

First thing's first: That AC/DC shirt kicks ass.

I'm looking forward to the FFX/X-2 HD Remake. Given that I still play those games every year at least twice, it'll be nice to experience it in something other than 480p.

Kill the gnomes and gargoyles! KILL THEM ALL!

Ohshitohshitohshit! The Resident Evil Remake was the best thing eveeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! HOW is this number 5??? I gotta dig up my gamecube.

I can't take any of these videos that Lisa makes seriously because they are ALWAYS missing not just classic, but LEGENDARY PC titles in favor of console stuff.

The stand-out example in this video of course, being Sid Meier's Pirates, but other worthies being Black Mesa Source, and X-Com.

A bionic arm would certainly help with boxing.

I like the games you selected but recently ive been playing a remake of shadow warrior that i think deserves to be in this list you should check it out, its really fun to play with a katana (no pun intended)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here