Zero Punctuation: Might & Magic X: Legacy

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Might & Magic X: Legacy

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Might & Magic X: Legacy.

Watch Video

That finale had me laughing out loud :D

Pretty good/funny episode, never played the M&M games myself.

The least they could have done was make a hex-based overworld.

That last punchline was perfect lmao

So spiteful, so angry. I've never even considered playing M&M, yet I have Dungeons of Dreadmore on my list.

I enjoy the game besides it's flaws.

Though the grid combat was abandoned in MM6 so it's kind of weird they brought it back for this game.

Also every single game except this one actually has an auto note feature with stuff like :

THIS GUY TEACHES EXPERT SHIELD SKILL AT (X,Y) IN THIS AREA.

Seriously why didn't they add this in the game -_-".

Ugh, grid movements is something I hate. I'll accept it in board games, but keep it there. It is a dated and boring style of gameplay.

Why oh why did the game series, having made the jump from grid to sort of free open movement between game 5 and 6, have to jump back into the grid?

Don't mind me, just going to play MM7 one more time.

Ill be honest, I did not even know Might & Magic X exist after... almost 10 years now.

I don't know why, but this video cracked me up big time. Thanks for making my day Yahtzee!

Am very interested in playing this game, but it's sitting in my backlog at the moment. Got more important things to play first.

Frickin' hilarious. Well done, Yahtzee.

Isn't there Legend of Grimrock that does all this dungeon crawling too? Oh, whatever. Apparently this is a new release.

I very much relate to getting lost and dead from my first dip into the ocean that is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/re-release. I go from stupid NPC to vocal NPC to finally find the "quest-giver". Then I'm thrown into a wasteland with some lizards. Soon, I find my sword dull, my stomach empty, and my flesh occasionally melting in the hot sun. And I haven't even tussled with the more aggressive monsters yet. It's like trying to swim in the middle of the ocean with the only instructions being, "Push water."

This whole video was worth it just for the fast talking segment. Though statements against Current Gen consoles, their games and Modern Military Shooters fell out of place, however accurate the statements were.

I've never played M&M and have no particular desire to do so, but this was the funniest episode in a while. Bravo, sir!

Somebody else remembered Battleforge! WHOOOO!

I thought it was funny that he brought it up with 'dealing out cards' when Battleforge absolutely did let you see the giant monsters on the cards brutally murderize each other.

I'm not really on board with this thing Yathzee usually has against traditional genres being traditional for the sake of tradition. If they are, so what, plenty of people still learned to love them for what they are.

You might as well say that chess is just a really crude stylized strategy game, and it's obselete now that we can do real time battle simulations with thousands of soldiers in Total War. But why does this matter, if somewhere along the line, chess has grew to be it's own thing that people love for being chess?

If it comes down to it, all genres of everything are just traditions that people keep repeating against intuitive sense. Point-and-click adventures, FPSes, JRPGs, musicals, cyberpunk novels, harem animes, superhero comics, western movies, police procedural shows, etc.

It's the same deal with ultra-oldschool RPGs, even if only with a somehow narrower audience is taking their rules for granted.

I was pretty excited for a revival of the series, Might & Magic being one of my absolute favourite series of PC RPG games. I've played and played M&M7 over the years, 6 and 8 both being really solid as well. The one thing all 3 of those games have in common is that they employ a free-movement style while retaining the challenging turn-based combat system. I have no idea why Ubisoft decided to remove an improvement. X Legacy was a disappointing game in almost every regard. I feel a fool for recommending to DJWheat and JP McDaniel in their 8-bits show on Twitch.

http://youtu.be/A_R1ZlC2_p0

I own heroes of might and magic 5 and even if I haven't played it much I do remember it being pretty fun, the normal might and magic games don't really look all that interesting since most of them are old pc games and I tend to dislike old pc games.

I guess MovieBob isn't the only one suffering from the "fuck all is coming out" first months of the new year. The only thing I could possibly see Yahtzee getting into is the HD release of Resident Evil 4 for PC's. But that won't come out until February 27 and, even if he does review it, its gonna be another week or two before that particular video pops up on Escapist.

Sounds like Jon Van Caneghem would be quite upset knowing his brainchild has been put back in its days of not being special. I thought heroes was a strange departure but it was still an M&M game. Oh well. I think it could be fun to bring back a game like VIII.

The reason why board game video games simulate all the card shuffling and piece moving is that their target audiences want to play a more convenient version of the board game without the need for other human beings. The lore of Magic The Gathering doesn't tell me much, so a say RPG set in it would just be a fantasy RPG to me, but give me a virtual desk and a deck of cards and I know what to do.

That is why I secretly hope beyond hope that the Magic movie is about people playing the game kinda YuGiOh style.

Based on the type of people who play these sort of games, why can't you move wherever you want in a grid system? Everyone is past freshman calculus, so the developers should be able to figure it out if the players can.

That was a very clever run-on toward the end Yahtzee. I have nothing clever to say, that was just honest-to-god good work right there.

I know I said this before but it's funny to see Yahtzee whine about games being too easy when it's becoming increasingly obvious that he's kinda shit at games himself.

That's not to say he's not still funny. This is just a different kind of funny.

I too have never played any Might and Magic games. However, the Heroes of Might and Magic games (Especially the 3rd and the 5th one) were some of the most fun I've had in a turn based strategy game.

Uncle_Brainhorn:
I know I said this before but it's funny to see Yahtzee whine about games being too easy when it's becoming increasingly obvious that he's kinda shit at games himself.

Welcome to almost every popular streamer or reviewer of games. Ever heard of Day[9]? He's kind of a big deal in the world of eSports and has become a huge online personality associated with gaming. His show even has the tagline; "be a better gamer" and yet never has there lived anyone worse at playing video games. Watching him blunder through any game is actually painful.

(I say that as a fan. I love his Starcraft work, he's just hopeless at literally everything else.)

Mr. Q:
I guess MovieBob isn't the only one suffering from the "fuck all is coming out" first months of the new year. The only thing I could possibly see Yahtzee getting into is the HD release of Resident Evil 4 for PC's. But that won't come out until February 27 and, even if he does review it, its gonna be another week or two before that particular video pops up on Escapist.

Perfect opportunity to do several things though:

Retro review Resident Evil 4
Talk about how great PC gaming is.
Talk about how great PS2 gaming was.
Talk about how shit next (even though it's current) gen is.

But we'll have to wait another month for that, darn. Or maybe it's an oppurtunity to talk about how great the Gamecube was, depending on what version he had.

Uncle_Brainhorn:

Yeah, gotta agree here. He also likes to complain about games never giving you any freedom and being totally linear, but whenever a game doesn't feed you the next objective like you're a toddler, that annoys him too (see his New Vegas review).

Still, an overall funny episode, so good job!

Grrrr! Curse you vile kitchen floor! I shall have my revenge!

Huh, what's that? A Zero Punctuation about the game I'm currently addicted to? Funny too...ahhh wewawawwwawwwewawwawww

I actually quite enjoy MMX, then again I played all the MM games before, including Heroes, and have been quite a fan of the series.

That said, he has credible concerns. A lot of the mechanics feel there just for nostalgia's sake and the fact that enemies don't respawn is actually a problem, preventing you from potentially grinding out a few levels or earning a bit of scratch if the next zone is proving too difficult.

ah a hilarious video dispute his usual barrage of abuses :p sometimes the best reviews/critiques come in between giant blockbuster game releases loll

I have to agree with finding a balance between freedom and lack of direction, as well as a guided experience and restrictive linearity. same goes with difficulty and whatnot, but ultimately a lot of it falls to a player's personal preferences and whatnot (also that any platform can have something someone wants eventually)

Amusing and Interesting review, but it doesn't look like my sort of game.

However, I can't believe you recognised X as a Roman Numeral then pronounce it constantly like the letter X. It's Ten, as in 10, simples!

Abomination:
...and the fact that enemies don't respawn is actually a problem, preventing you from potentially grinding out a few levels or earning a bit of scratch if the next zone is proving too difficult.

I find the enemies quite balanced, actually...there's allways some dungeon or area that has monsters on your level. You can of course just make poor choices when leveling up. Tipp: Vitality is a must for every lvl-up on every character.

Episodes like this make me glad I always watch all the credits.
I never played M&M games but I did play the D&D computer games that were like that. But yes, I don't feel compelled to go back to them; as good as they were back then.

nuttshell:

Abomination:
...and the fact that enemies don't respawn is actually a problem, preventing you from potentially grinding out a few levels or earning a bit of scratch if the next zone is proving too difficult.

I find the enemies quite balanced, actually...there's allways some dungeon or area that has monsters on your level. You can of course just make poor choices when leveling up. Tipp: Vitality is a must for every lvl-up on every character.

Considering how very little explanation or suggestions are given when it comes to leveling a character one can quickly put themselves in a situation of possessing an ineffective party - forcing a game restart - it's a poor combination.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here