Mo' Russian

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mo' Russian

Do not scary. Is strategy.

Read Full Article

Good thing too 'cause I wouldn't want to play chess with a horde of Russians looking over my shoulder.

I like how that one guy in the back doesn't move or say anything.

Just another player archetype; the guy who seems like he's blocked his whole team and is playing a single-player game.

Russian DOTA is best DOTA.

Cyka

Every game, every game I pray, nay, beg that I don't have Russian teammates.

'Maybe we should stay in our own servers, since we can't speak English and ruin the game for others.'

- No Russian, ever.

Before anyone jumps on me for generalising an entire country, I'm only joking, so calm your tits.

Daystar Clarion:

Cyka

'Maybe we should stay in our own servers, since we can't speak English and ruin the game for others.'

- No Russian, ever.

Before anyone jumps on me for generalising an entire country, I'm only joking, so calm your tits.

RACIST!

Without being facetious, I will say that since I know some Russian (well, I happen to know most Russian swearwords since my country doesn't have any that sound anywhere near as good) so I find it a bit funny to play against them.

The one thing that does make me go a bit :I is the hammer and sickle hat, but I doubt that most westerners have an accurate depiction of a modern Russian, who isn't a communist (and most of them never where, people hated it with a passion because of how it exploited citizens).

Lol @ the babushka in the back though.

Daystar Clarion:

Cyka

- No Russian, ever.

I thought I was the only one that had this bad luck with Russians in DOTA2. I actually got kicked from a game and the reason it gave me was in full Russian, which I used google translate to TL it, for not being able to communicate with the team. On the US servers. I also had them spam me with trade requests to get some egg or something in my inventory. I got sick of it when they began to report me for reasons I still don't know. And I know it was the Russians that did it because my rating would drop after every game I had with them.

I'd consider buying your comic if I could actually see the preview pages properly. As it stands, the 480p preview just isn't enough to convince me whether it's worth money or not.

сука = "sooka" = "bitch/slut"

My Russian lessons are totally paying off, finally!

:D
:)
:|
:/
:(
:C

Back in the day I'd only communicate by google translating everything into Korean and never had any issues with being kicked.

Granted that was in the beta, I'm sure it's alot more 'mainstream' now, meaning hypercompetitive and assy.

I see Erin uses the English opening. Personally, I usually open with e4 or d4 as White. But Ive tried the English once or twice and theres nothing obviously wrong with it.

Anyways...I can empathise with this comic. Nothing against russians per say, but the ones Ive met playing L4D2 have been...less than pleasant. Im sure russians in real Life are fine.

Edit: Or did she move the Knight? Its not really clear, so Im gonna assume she moved the pawn.

As a proud Russian, I have to say that I absolutely cannot play with other Russians. It's disgusting. ::D

Well, Kasparov may not be aware of The New Chess.

awesomeClaw:

Edit: Or did she move the Knight? Its not really clear, so Im gonna assume she moved the pawn.

Only horses. Is strategy.

I'm not racist, but...
Russians are the single most obnoxious demographic in online games I have ever encountered. It boggles my mind. It stands to reason that they are the same as anyone else; we're all just people. But holy shit are they abrasive. Few of them even speak English. Fine, I can deal with that. Even though they shouldn't be queuing on English speaking servers if they can't speak the language. Dota 2 is a communication-driven game, after all. But I can work well enough with context and pings. The problem arises when they DO communicate, as it's almost exclusively to hurl insults. It's to the point that when a brit is cursing in voice chat, I consider it a pleasant change.

I get the message that Valve has taken action against someone I reported almost daily. Though many of the players I report have 1000 hours or more in dota 2, and I can't imagine they've managed that long without being in low prio before, so I don't thing they really learn anything from the punishment they get.

Daystar Clarion:

Cyka

- No Russian, ever.

For 80% of Russian Dota players it's probably them being so dumb and picking every server on the list instead of, you know, picking one. I know this because I saw this.
Even though I live in Russia, I'm not ethnically Russian and maybe that is the major difference, I don't know. They are aggressive, not willing to learn from mistakes and think that they are always right.
;(

It is hard for you to avoid Russians in Dota? For Russians that hate playing with other swearing idiots from the same country it is even harder. I sometimes play on US East - yes, 160 ping, but at least I am the only Russian.

Zachary Amaranth:

awesomeClaw:

First move least one pawn. Then horses. Lrn2Play, товарищ.

Find a party of friends to play with. I did that, it works.

Also there are mute buttons on the scoreboard. People keep forgetting about them.

EDIT: Чуть не забыл немного самоиронии вдогонку. ;)

Chimpzy:

First move least one pawn. Then horses. Lrn2Play, товарищ.[/quote]

Is not good strategy because I said so.

Which seems to be the sum of many of the arguments about LoL. People often demand you cater to their playstyle. Which is nothing new. It's why pretty much every strategy in a shooter is hated.

The Wooster:
Hey, so remember that comic project Cory and I were working on? Well the first issue is currently available as part of the Bum Rush Comics lineup. It's called Bad Dad and it's an action comedy about a recently-paroled supervillain and his superhero daughter. The first issue will cost you two bucks, but you can also get it in a five dollar anthology that collects the three other comics in the Bum Rush lineup.

Bought it. Read it. Love it. Want more. Please provide at earliest convenience.

maximalist566:
It is hard for you to avoid Russians in Dota? For Russians that hate playing with other swearing idiots from the same country it is even harder. I sometimes play on US East - yes, 160 ping, but at least I am the only Russian.

No sir, you are not. Trust me. I play on US east and every game someone is yelling at me in either Spanish or Russian. Wouldn't mind all that much if they weren't dicks but then again that's pretty much dota and online games in general

It's very hard to prevent a generalisation of an entire race/country/culture when there are very few examples to dissuade it.

That being said being a dick has no care for colour, creed or country.

Y'know I thought that all the DOTA players must be throwing all the Russian hate out of proportion and were just being racist.

Then I played DOTA 2. Yeah... Is it still racist if the hate is legitimately justified? Like I have nothing against Russia as a country but gosh Russians in DOTA...

Clankenbeard:

The Wooster:
Hey, so remember that comic project Cory and I were working on? Well the first issue is currently available as part of the Bum Rush Comics lineup. It's called Bad Dad and it's an action comedy about a recently-paroled supervillain and his superhero daughter. The first issue will cost you two bucks, but you can also get it in a five dollar anthology that collects the three other comics in the Bum Rush lineup.

Bought it. Read it. Love it. Want more. Please provide at earliest convenience.

Thanks a lot. There'll be a new issue every month.

Interestingly, I haven't gotten matched with any Russians in a while. Lots of Spanish speakers though, which leaves me in pretty much the same situation.

Zachary Amaranth:
Well, Kasparov may not be aware of The New Chess.

This has inspired me to make Escapist Chess.
First: make your move like this:
"e4"
Than say something relevant about the actual subject. Post, and then report your opponent's last comment for low content. First to be mated or loss a comment loses

lvramire:
I like how that one guy in the back doesn't move or say anything.

Just another player archetype; the guy who seems like he's blocked his whole team and is playing a single-player game.

I thought that was the AFKer.

As a LoL EUNE player, I have no problem with Russians, because most of them migrated to their own server. The players I do have a problem with are other Poles (I'm a Pole myself, and I'm ashamed of 99% of my countrymen behavior in this game. It's simply atrocious), and Greeks. My God, the Greeks in LoL. First, their foreign language is even more irritating than others thanks to their alphabet I can't decipher. Second, if they do try to speak English, it's going to be something along the lines of "omg noob, bg, i afk", and last but not least - from my observations, they are the worst nation skillwise on the server. I'm playing for almost a year now, and I'm yet to see anyone with a Greek nickname and a positive score.

I was kind of hoping to see the Heavy from TF2 show up and slam his big hands onto the chess board scolding Erin lol.

All well, still was quite funny. I actually think it'd make chess a lot more interesting if people from around the world had to work together to make the player do better in strategy. Then again, hearing them argue in their own languages would probably just confuse the player like myself since I only speak english :(

I don't have a Russian trauma as many people seem to have, although I've played a lot of Dota 2 already. Hmm.
Anyway, Kasparov is right by saying that elegant game design like Chess and Go will not disappear. But the forms in which it is delivered change as well (real boards with different figure styles, chess video games, gaming over the net), if we wanna draw an analogy to the graphics of games.

I btw don't think that there are no video games that will not played in hundreds of years. Graphics or input devices might change over the years, but it is likely that there will still be games like Bejeweled and Tetris.
How will competitive video games fare... I don't know. Depends on the following of people and we can only really estimate it once an eSport grows to a level where parents actually introduce their kids to the game and this will take years and a long life time of the same game principle. In the end we already have reoccurring themes, like RTS, Arena Shooter, ARTS, Racing Games, Shmups, Fighting Games, ...... which are the same in their quintessence (most of the time ^^). It is not a huge step to just keeping the gameplay of one "proven to be great" game and just keep up to date with the tech environment. It is happening with Fifa since 1993 (although I don't like the marketing strategy behind it), it is happening with Dota since 2005 (or earlier, if you want to count the Guinsoo era, although it was a lot less thought through then), ... .

To be fair to the ruskis that is actually a terrible opening move in Chess. AFAIK there are no official openings that begin with moving the King's bishop pawn forward two places. If you follow that opening up with moving the King's knight's pawn forward 1 space then you open yourself up to a two move mate.
Also The board is wrong. The white square should be on the right, therefore the king should be where the queen is. In that case the opening then becomes the Queens bishop pawn and is therefore the English opening which is much more decent.

Sorry to be "that guy" but people that are into chess get a touch irked when its constantly mis-represented ;).

Me55enger:
It's very hard to prevent a generalisation of an entire race/country/culture when there are very few examples to dissuade it.

There're plenty of examples, you just don't notice them because they either speak English like everyone else or stay silent and just play well. Just like the Dota community in general doesn't consist entirely of the rudest scum of the Earth as many people claim, you simply notice and remember them way easier than "normal" people, even if you only meet one every other match.

FancyNick:

maximalist566:

No sir, you are not. Trust me. I play on US east and every game someone is yelling at me in either Spanish or Russian. Wouldn't mind all that much if they weren't dicks but then again that's pretty much dota and online games in general

Pfft, you racist pig, it's not Spanish, it's Portuguese! Get it right!

*doesn't play DOTA 2*

Denamic:
I'm not racist, but...
Russians are the single most obnoxious demographic in online games I have ever encountered....

Then you've cleared never played Left 4 Dead 2 with nothing but French Canadians...

I kid! I kid![1]

[1] Not really.

Akichi Daikashima:

The one thing that does make me go a bit :I is the hammer and sickle hat, but I doubt that most westerners have an accurate depiction of a modern Russian, who isn't a communist (and most of them never where, people hated it with a passion because of how it exploited citizens).

Lol @ the babushka in the back though.

I think they know that. They probably just used it as something generic to show that he's russian, just like the guy in the tracksuit.

I find this comic to be deeply culturally insensitive towards the Russian people.

I must therefore assume that the author secretly wants to murder Russians and I am currently drawing a comic myself which will illustrate this fact.

But in all seriousness, I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to the Russian issue in Doter Tuu.

On one hand I am not a big fan of Region locks, on the other I am getting pretty sick of being matched with people who, even if they aren't actually awful players, completely refuse to communicate because they thought getting 5 seconds less queue time was more important than any other concerns.

Really, I think the ideal solution would be voluntary region locking, where you can lock yourself in, but can't lock others out, so you'd only get matched with other people who chose to lock themselves in which would result in longer queue times but a guarantee of no Cykas.

Wait, since when is there a large percentage of Russian players on North American servers for games? I've run into Brazillians more times than I can count, but no Russians. Is this Russian thing new, unique to DotA, or have I just been lucky enough to avoid that particular language barrier with my team mates? Granted, I haven't been doing much online gaming in the last few months. But that's a few months compared to 12 or 13 years of regular online gaming.

Edit: Or wait,are Grey and Cory in North America? Are the Russians the Brazilians of Europe or something?

I get the impression that people often use the term 'like chess' in a similar way that older people will refer to all video games as 'Nintendo', like for example in certain sports you'll sometimes here the phrase 'the coaches are playing a chess match' or something like that. Which I hope is the case here people are talking about here, because I felt this way towards Starcraft 2 so never mind MOBA games, but to actually make a direct comparison is kind of insulting to chess.

Basically what it comes down to is that chess is essentially pure strategy. The game itself is so simply that a 5 (or younger) year old can learn it, yet the strategy is so complex that you can spend a life time and never master it. While competitive games like Starcraft are termed 'real time strategy' I find the 'strategy' use can often be pretty light, at least in comparison to chess. Now stay with me here for a second, I don't mean to belittle Starcraft, it's just as a video game there's so much going on. You have you're macro play, which is essentially textbook knowledge and practice through repetition, and micro play, which is more skill/precision & twitch reflexes. If you're say a tier higher in these two aspects than you're opponent, then it doesn't matter they're a 12 year old kid or a legitimate chess grandmaster 9 times out of 10 (or whatever) you're going to win. Strategy of course does come into play when you have two equal players in this regard, which you will at the pro league level, but still I consider the level of strategy to be more on par with poker. So I basically see pro Starcraft players as a combination of Tetris masters and poker all stars, but not chess grand masters. I can't really comment on MOBA players here because I've barely played them, and my bias leans towards the negative side, but I'd think they're on a lesser scale than the Starcraft pro's.

But regardless I'm just ranting here because this has been a pet peeve of mine for a while, it's not that series that I can't love the comic here!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here