No Right Answer: Best TV Drama Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best TV Drama Ever

With Dan feeling the drama of his 30th birthday this Sunday (Feel free to send him legos), a dramatic debate was in order. How about best dramatic TV show?

Watch Video

Breaking Bad instawin.

The fandom surrounding it, and it's influence after during and after it ran is testament that it is almost a cultural touchstone as far as things are concerned.

To me at least, it is an experience, not just a TV series.

The moment Breaking Bad ended, I thought, well damn, they sustained it to a perfect end. This show absolutely wins the whole way without any season being a throw away. Dexter was good but its little side plots often damaged the show for me. And the ending? *sigh*

Breaking Bad is wrote objectively better, it's braver and clever. Dexter suffered from the series bad guy and it did retread the same plot points of "Dexter is a sociopath" to "Dexter is a better human being now"

From a more personal point, I didn't like any of the characters in Breaking Bad, they're pretty much all awful human beings and if they had all died it would have been fine to me. Dexter has more likable characters who, oddly enough, do more human things.

Clearly the winner is Game of Thrones.

Dexter WAS good for 4 seasons. Then 5 and 6 were meh, 7 was cool again, and 8 was an absolute travesty.

Breaking bad had no flaws. I really can't think of any at least.

Yeah. Breaking Bad.

EDIT: vvv Yeahhh, Shelock. And Musketeers is damn cool so far. Pretty much "Assassin's Creed: The TV Show".

Between the two I would pick Dexter if only because (get ready to hate me) I do not like Breaking Bad.

That being said I have to ask why exactly does The West Wing not hold up? Maybe it is because I am English and know very little about American politics but I still enjoy rewatching it every now and then and I think it has aged fine.

People say Dexter was good for 4 seasons and the 7th one, but honestly the 3rd one wasn't that good either, bewteen that one, 5th and 6th is hard to choose.

Anyway Breaking Bad wins easily and only Game of Thrones surpasses it.

Game of Thrones. Better than those boring show a you said.

Kyle, what do you mean "there's never a flawless show"?
Are you implying that "Scrubs" don't exist?

Also you're both wrong- "Scrubs" is the best drama show at this point
"But it's a comedy"
Oh, non-existent average escapee, you are saying this only because you're wrong
See, drama and tragedy can't have impact if it's only thing we have
If there is some fun and laughter AND then bad things happen, then it is a whole different thing
Then emotions are much...
Aaa, fuck it, just watch this
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6281-Crying-Through-The-Laughs
What Jim said wasn't true only for games

Couldn't get through the pilot of Breaking Bad... watched all of Dexter, although it got hard to keep watching in the later seasons...

Dexter is very clearly 8 separate seasons with 1 thread connecting each season to the last

The first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad make one perfectly constructed unit, then seasons 5 and 6 (OR part's 1 and 2 of season 5 if you're a douche) make a damn near perfect epilog all for one cohesive story arc.

Justified.

Walter White wouldn't have lasted 10 days in Kentucky.

The best you guys could come up with was Dexter and Breaking Bad? No Deadwood, House MD, NCIS, Justified, M*A*S*H? I'm actually inclined to suggest that there is no best drama, but there are several shows on television more worth watching than those two.

Additionally, can anyone explain how The West Wing doesn't hold up? I'd say that, given it's political nature and superb lineup of actors, it'll continue to be relevant LONG after Dexter and BB fade from memory.

And no mention anywhere of The Wire? No one? While I'd still pick Breaking Bad as the winner, The Wire beats the pants off of Dexter. I like Dexter, but it does way, way too much retreading over ground it's already covered. It's one of those serial dramas that has a successful formula that it becomes so enchanted with that it keeps going over the same road again and again.

Dexter had precisely three good seasons. Season 1, 4 and 7. Everything else was mediocre to god awful. When less than half of your series stands out as being exceptional you aren't a contender for the best TV Drama ever. Especially when Breaking Bad's worst season is better than Dexter at its best.

Gizmo1990:
Between the two I would pick Dexter if only because (get ready to hate me) I do not like Breaking Bad.

That being said I have to ask why exactly does The West Wing not hold up? Maybe it is because I am English and know very little about American politics but I still enjoy rewatching it every now and then and I think it has aged fine.

im with you there, I just couldn't bother to give a dam about Walt but I was rooting for Dexter every step of the way.(some of the later seasons were not that great still more watchable then Breaking Bad) honestly don't see why people liked that show so much.

bdcjacko:

It pretty much directly takes the plot from the book series, it don't count. I mean it's a great adaptation but it's an adaptation.

blackrave:

"But it's a comedy"
If there is some fun and laughter AND then bad things happen, then it is a whole different thing

Well technically it's a comedy drama.

I think scrubs focuses too heavily on comedy (it does still have drama) to be on a "best drama" list. And I think they were looking for a pure drama. The serious moments on that show are rare, which emphasizes them and gives them meaning but they're still rare.

OT: Breaking bad because the series actually consistently led up to an amazing ending and maintained quality throughout, as opposed to Dexter, which had a fairly haphazard run. I mean 5,5 out of 8 seasons were actually good and the ending sucked.

I mean those 5,5 seasons were amazing but you can't hold the series as a whole to the same quality as breaking bad.

Where the hell is Game of Thrones. Honestly that is probably one of the best shows in a long time. No character is safe, the story is unpredictable, and the political intrigue is just amazing. I love breaking bad, but lets be honest there were some episodes that were snooze-fests and never really pushed the show along, and dexter? really. I feel like that show kinda petered-out and became mediocre at the end.

Yeah, Dexter had the WORST ending to a series, worse than LOST, worse than the Sopranos. Just awful, I was so pissed off with what they did. SPOILER. You killed off DEB! WHY?! To make Dexter realize everyone around him dies? So he just leaves his son with another serial killer in Argentina. SMART MOVE. Now lets go to canada and cut some logs. Unbelievably poor writing. Almost as bad as the WWE creative team, but then again, NO ONE is as bad as the WWE these days.

Other shows you could have used: 24, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc, etc.

I can understand going with Breaking Bad - but Dexter? That is just bad taste. Has he never seen Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Band of Brothers, Twin Peaks, The Wire, Firefly, The X-Files and so on?

Breaking Bad is obviously the answer. There's no contender I've seen that comes close. And no, Game of Thrones isn't even close. I've watched every episode, I haven't read the books. From that prospective (ie: I'm not someone who is filling in missing awesomeness with my own memories), the show is mediocre at best. For every Red Wedding, there episodes focused almost entirely on a character I couldn't care less about (because there is zero backstory or personality to him) torturing another character I couldn't care less about (since he's an entitled, whiny, throw-away character). Or episodes focusing on some dumb red-head witch. Really, the show has about 5-10 characters who are great to follow and scenes with them can be spectacular. Unfortunately, there are about 50 characters in the show. Also (again, if you HAVEN'T read the books, this is a huge issue), there are a number of plots/subplots which are told in the wrong order. Many of the stories have gone, "look at this!" and there was nothing interesting there, or characters being referenced had never been introduced/explained why I should care. Then, after the "big reveal" scene, they go back and say, "oh yea, here's what we were just talking about, so now take this info and think back to the scene you just watched. ISN'T THAT AMAZING?!?!" .....No, it wasn't amazing. It was boring/confusing. Then, you explained things, so now I at least understand, but still get no joy out of it since that time has now passed.

As for Breaking Bad, as much as I love the show, think back to any scene featuring Walt's family, where no other characters were involved except for maybe Walt. They were ALL AWFUL. Every last one. Or how about the, "Walt's sis-in-law's a shoplifter!" subplot. Thanks for that filler crap guys, that really paid off. Thankfully, the majority of the show doesn't have any of that and for people watching for the first time, I just tell them to skip those parts and they're in the clear. But unfortunately the show isn't perfect.

Oh yea, and Dexter....I've unfortunately only watched the first season so far. I loved it, just never got back around to watching more. I'm more surprised The Wire wasn't one of the options. I haven't watched it yet myself, but have heard amazing things.

You chose Dexter to go against Breaking Bad? Really, that's the best you could come up with? Not The Wire, not The Sopranos, not Deadwood, not Mad Men, but Dexter?? Jeez guys, even Game of Thrones would make for a fairer matchup.

stueymon:

From a more personal point, I didn't like any of the characters in Breaking Bad, they're pretty much all awful human beings and if they had all died it would have been fine to me. Dexter has more likable characters who, oddly enough, do more human things.

That right there is what turned me off of Breaking Bad, and what has me worried about TV dramas nowadays. My brother loved it, and he likes Sons of Anarchy and shows like it because almost everyone on it is a horrible mess of a person. Most TV drama protagonists seem to be less "sympathetic characters with some flaws" to "nothing but flaws", whom audiences tune it to root AGAINST. It's like when my Baby Boomer Parents watch Mad Men to laugh at Don Draper and guys like him fail.

Breaking Bad was just amazing. And Better Call Saul is coming up!!!
Dexter really crapped in after John Litgow left.
That was an amazing season, but before and especially after it hit a lot of rough patches.
So: Dexter: (sometimes Very) good, BB: Awesome.

Good call, guys!

Well, Chris officially knows nothing about television. Here are all of his horrible mistakes, in list form:

1. Compared Dexter to Breaking Bad.
2. Said that Dexter was BETTER than Breaking Bad.
3. Said that Breaking Bad was about drugs or health care. (DEFINITELY not health care)
4. (All three of you did this one) Not even MENTIONING the MOTHER. FUCKING. WIRE.

Seriously, I can't stress this enough:

OBVIOUSLY THE WIRE. Come ON, guys!

PS: Dexter only had 3 good seasons, since season 3 was utter crap. Even season 2 was iffy.

Dexter doesn't even stand a chance here. There are better TV dramas that should have been up there instead. Breaking Bad still tops them all though IMO. It just would have been a closer fight.

Dexter? Seriously? Whattabout "The Wire"?

Use_Imagination_here:

bdcjacko:

It pretty much directly takes the plot from the book series, it don't count. I mean it's a great adaptation but it's an adaptation.

blackrave:

"But it's a comedy"

Well technically it's a comedy drama.

I think scrubs focuses too heavily on comedy (it does still have drama) to be on a "best drama" list. And I think they were looking for a pure drama. The serious moments on that show are rare, which emphasizes them and gives them meaning but they're still rare.

OT: Breaking bad because the series actually consistently led up to an amazing ending and maintained quality throughout, as opposed to Dexter, which had a fairly haphazard run. I mean 5,5 out of 8 seasons were actually good and the ending sucked.

I mean those 5,5 seasons were amazing but you can't hold the series as a whole to the same quality as breaking bad.

Dexter is an adaptation, and they debated that. Walking Dead is an adaptation, and it was mentioned. So GoT does count.

In the intro you guys should have mentioned that HBO would be out because otherwise it would have been The Wire vs. Six Feet Under.

Personally, I would have gone with Boston Legal (granted, it might have been disqualified for its frequent shenanigans that shift the focus toward the comedic, but anyway...

Robot Number V:

Exactly.

Look, Breaking Bad is a fine contender. But it'd lose out to a lot of better ones. The Sopranos is one often regarded as better than Breaking Bad. There's a strong argument for The Shield. But of all of them, I'd still say The Wire has never been even touched by those following it. It had four great seasons (and one weaker one that'd still be considered great for most shows) and managed to be emotionally gut-wrenching, hilariously funny, and above all relevant, topical and fascinating.

(If you absolutely forced me to argue Breaking Bad over The Wire, I'd argue the former did have Skyler White, giving the show at least one complex, interesting and well drawn female character. The Wire tried their hardest with Kima, but it was clear nobody there really had much clue how to make a compelling female lead.)

Greg Tito:
Farscape!

Frell yeah!

BlindChance:

Robot Number V:

(If you absolutely forced me to argue Breaking Bad over The Wire, I'd argue the former did have Skyler White, giving the show at least one complex, interesting and well drawn female character. The Wire tried their hardest with Kima, but it was clear nobody there really had much clue how to make a compelling female lead.)

God no, Skyler's just a poor man's Carmela Soprano.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here