How to Follow and Stream Winter Olympics Sochi 2014

How to Follow and Stream Winter Olympics Sochi 2014

The Olympics begin this week. Are you prepared for a flurry of Winter sports in real-time? Here's how.

Read Full Article

Apparently the Sochi Olympics are such a joke that half the world isn't bothering to watch, much less participate. Ignoring the "1st world problems" accommodations, the training and practice courses have already injured and removed several medalists from being able to compete, as well as the civil rights issues prohibiting several athletes from even attending.

I love me some Winter Olympics, but this year the athletes could care so little that I feel like watching would be a waste of time. Hopefully I'm wrong, but by now I don't care enough to watch and be corrected.

< insert Soviet Russia joke here >

This is the first winter Olympics I'm not going to watch.

Russia is such a mess right now in every way. It's just not worth tuning in.

Not to mention there's already been injuries galore and the games will most likely be a mess to watch. I honestly don't think many of the athletes will be bringing their A game anyways.

Our hockey team qualified for the first time in history. Of course I'm going to watch. Then again, no danger of the venues being subpar there, seeing as how hockey is a big thing in Russia.

And we play our first game of the tournament against Russia! Wouldn't it be grand if the lynx could ruin the bear's day...

The problems facing Russia right now combined with the gut wrenching violence against homosexuals is not something I can remotely even believe to be in my capacity to turn a blind eye to. I am boycotting it this year, sorry athletes I know you trained hard but I will catch some third party highlights online if at all possible a few months from now.

P.S. I felt like linking or embedding some news stories about said violence but I feel that they far exceed this sites rules.

Saulkar:

The problems facing Russia right now combined with the gut wrenching violence against homosexuals is not something I can remotely even believe to be in my capacity to turn a blind eye to. I am boycotting it this year, sorry athletes I know you trained hard but I will catch some third party highlights online if at all possible a few months from now.

P.S. I felt like linking or embedding some news stories about said violence but I feel that they far exceed this sites rules.

frankly good on you.

that alone would be enough for me as well, but once you actually looking into whats happening there the whole winter olympics this year are very distasteful.

- they created a nice green park, lots of trees, benches and bird hides for their "bird watch park" but you wont see any birds there because the wetlands that were home to 65 threatened species is not under 6 feet of crushed rock

- they poisoned and shot all the dogs in the area

- they destroyed the habitat of hundreds of species when they destroyed all the local forests, bears are now extinct in the area

- a 700 metre long beach home to rare species thats been protected since 1911 has now disappeared to make way for a boardwalk

- they changed the route of the local river which means that their salmon fishing industry just ceased to exist

- its the most expensive olympics in history at $51 billion dollars.. 1/3rd of the budget has vanished due to corruption. hell the road into the area cost more than the Vancouver olympics alone

- all the claims of it being a zero waste olympics.. apparently zero waste in russia means hide it out of site of all the tourists

if you are a large corporation looking to do business in russia at the moment you are encouraged to donate to the project to make sure you actually can do business

- all the contracts for building have gone to friends of putins..

wombat_of_war:
Warrior Snip

Do you have any surplus, military-grade wombats available? I might need some for... nefarious purposes after reading all of that and a few Google searches.

The opening ceremony was amazing (outside of the ring hiccup).

But the sport events themselves don't interest me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here