Escape to the Movies: The Lego Movie

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Lego Movie

MovieBob takes a look at the wonderfully well-constructed The Lego Movie.

Watch Video

I was already hooked based on the 98% it has on RT, but this solidified it. I'll go see this as soon as I can.

Oh, and inb4: 'UGH, STOP TALKIN' 'BOUT SPIDAHMAN AND SUPAMAN BOB!'

Who wants to bet that the Justice League appearing is this movie is going to come off better than the actual Justice League movie WB are doing?

Still a week until this movie comes out around my parts, unfortunately. Still, I've been grinning in anticipation for a month now, my cheeks can last another week

Looking forward to seeing the movie. I really hope

is the ultimate super weapon.

I will get to see this in Two weeks when I move to a new town, so until then, I loved the review. I will have to see it before I declare it "Best of 2014" in February, but I'm really, really, really looking forward to this.

My only question: Is Wonder Woman just a joke in this movie, or does she get some screen-time? And what of most of the Justice League (It's my understanding that Green Lantern is in this as well)?

I really want to see this. I'm looking forward to it. Great review.

Well, the last time you told me to go see a movie without finishing the review was Frozen and that was one of the best tings ever, so...... I'm sold.

I haven't known what to think about this movie for a long time, and all the good reviews just make me more confused. Morgan Freeman as god/wizard and the Justice League from superdickery.com combine with the praise to 503 my brain.

This video made me very happy. I've been following the LEGO movie pretty closely hoping for the best and it sounds like they nailed it.

Thanks Bob! :)

I wanted my friday fix of Escape to the Movies, but if it is that good, I'll wait until I actually go to the movies before watching this review

If this were just a feature-length stop-motion film made by a fan, I'd still go and watch it. People scoff at such things, but have you seen some of the ones up on YouTube? They're frankly very impressive.

That, by the way, was made by the same person who did this significantly more popular video:

Did Bob do any spoilers? I wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying, my brain was just going "LEGOLEGOLEGOLEGOLEGOLEGOLEGO...." You get the idea.

Just knowing that this movie was made by the two fellows who made Clone High is more than enough a reason to see it. Seriously, if you've seen that show at all, you should have a good understanding of what delightful childish anarchy this movie should contain.

I now seek to slightly change the topic.

What was your favorite Lego set as a kid/adult?

I have no idea how much Lego celebrates their past in this movie, but these two were my utmost favorites:

luvd1:
Did Bob do any spoilers? I wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying, my brain was just going "LEGOLEGOLEGOLEGOLEGOLEGOLEGO...." You get the idea.

Yeah... between his fast-paced delivery and the frenetic Lego clips, I have no idea what was actually said. I just sat here with a huge grin on my face going "THIS. LOOKS. AWESOME." Was going to see it anyway, because I've loved Legos since I was three years old, but hearing that it's actually a good movie is icing on the cake.

Yay cake!

EDIT:

Trishbot:

One of my grandmother's, actually:
That's right. My grandmother was into the old Castle systems. I still remember helping her build that thing (it felt huge, at the time) on the kitchen table the night she brought it home. She used to tease me about having 'eagle eyes' because I had a knack for finding all the little pieces in the pile.

...I miss her. :'(

Never have I stopped watching a review based on your recommendation to stop. I'm gonna watch this movie as soon as possible.

well that's incredibly unexpected, I was hoping that this movie was good but I didn't expect it to be this good, unless this review is a massive joke I'm going to watch this movie as soon as possible.

Oh god I can't wait to see this now. I knew it was gonna be interesting at the very least, but it sounds like it was made with the imagination and sense of wonder of an 8-year-old me....and I'm loving it.

Trishbot:

This: http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/large/6982-1.jpg
Favourite as a kid because "omg huge spaceship pewpewzoooom!". Favourite as an adult because of nostalgia and because I can appreciate the intricacies of the wing design (you can unlock them so they swing down and open up the housing for that telescope/laser cannon

Why did he show Vision at the end of the clip?

Guess I'll have to see it! I didn't even know this was coming out, but I love Lego and it sounds like it's actually good!

Trishbot:

Definitely this one -

Say what you want about the prequels, but these things have to be the best part of it.

I'm really glad this movie is good, might have to go out and see it now :) great review!

theApoc:

Probably because of this:

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-marvel-announces-paul-bettany-to-play-the-vision-in-avengers-age-of-ultron-1959993

Kieve:

luvd1:

Yeah... between his fast-paced delivery and the frenetic Lego clips, I have no idea what was actually said. I just sat here with a huge grin on my face going "THIS. LOOKS. AWESOME." Was going to see it anyway, because I've loved Legos since I was three years old, but hearing that it's actually a good movie is icing on the cake.

Yay cake!

EDIT:

Trishbot:

One of my grandmother's, actually:
That's right. My grandmother was into the old Castle systems. I still remember helping her build that thing (it felt huge, at the time) on the kitchen table the night she brought it home. She used to tease me about having 'eagle eyes' because I had a knack for finding all the little pieces in the pile.

...I miss her. :'(

Wow that castle brings back memories!

Ah preschool the time when you looked forward to going to school.

Pallindromemordnillap:

This: http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/large/6982-1.jpg
Favourite as a kid because "omg huge spaceship pewpewzoooom!". Favourite as an adult because of nostalgia and because I can appreciate the intricacies of the wing design (you can unlock them so they swing down and open up the housing for that telescope/laser cannon

Aww, now I'm jealous.
My best friend got that set for his birthday one year... I was envious then too. The wing pinions were like the coolest thing evar, back then. Went home after the party and tried to build it myself. Don't remember how well it turned out, but I know it didn't last very long. Ended up building my own version of the Star Hawk instead.

As someone for whom lego was a defining bit of their childhood I've been crossing my fingers for months that this movie would be good. Can't tell you how relieved I am that it is.

Hmm, well you where right about Frozen so this deserves a try as well.

I really hope its as good as you make it out to be.

SirBryghtside:
I'm really glad this movie is good, might have to go out and see it now :) great review!

theApoc:

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-marvel-announces-paul-bettany-to-play-the-vision-in-avengers-age-of-ultron-1959993

heh, I almost immediately found the answer following my post, very cool...

--
Moviebob says Lego movie is magnificent

*Mind blown*

--

SirBryghtside:

theApoc:

*Mind blown...again*

Awesome, i'm a massive animation geek so i'm real excited to see this!

Also, those are the new Sonic designs... those are kind of funky, abit like Sat AM... HEY, I might actually give a sh*t about Sonic, how bout that!

What his problem with the Nolan Batman movies?

I've been looking forward to this film for a while, and now I see MovieBob jumping on the love train about this film. Did he even say anything bad about it other than "it nearly 'negative thing'"?

ShadowRatchet92:

Same problem with anything that is not Marvel Studios, not enough silver age, since it's apparently the only valid interpretation for super-heroes that bob can accept as actually good.

Ahem...

That lego movie looks awesome. I'm really glad they made Batman a "major" character instead of just a cameo, reminds me of how excited I was for Wreck it ralph videogame characters showing up (Sonic was in one of the posters for god's sake!), only to see it was only really short cameos for the most parts.

Bob...I can one up you on the question about workout tape.

When the phrack did Amy become a ninja?!? In one scene from the gameplay footage, when all four fall down a hole (Forget how to fly, Tails?) she's the only one to do a flip and land on her feet! Here's hoping she also got rid of the fangirl persona...

CAPTCHA: same same

See? The Captcha wants that @!#?@! fangirlism to stop too!

Ruisu:

ShadowRatchet92:

Same problem with anything that is not Marvel Studios, not enough silver age, since it's apparently the only valid interpretation for super-heroes that bob can accept as actually good.

That, or he has very legitimate gripes (as do many other people) about Batman's current existence as a brooding, dark, gritty, and kind of bland character that is wholly capable because of reasons.

GamemasterAnthony:
Bob...I can one up you on the question about workout tape.

When the phrack did Amy become a ninja?!? In one scene from the gameplay footage, when all four fall down a hole (Forget how to fly, Tails?) she's the only one to do a flip and land on her feet! Here's hoping she also got rid of the fangirl persona...

CAPTCHA: same same

See? The Captcha wants that @!#?@! fangirlism to stop too!

Nope, you gotta keep the stalker-level Sonic fangirl mentality there, because that's always been her origin story. And if you look at Amy Rose's backstory, there's all sorts of things that put her at creep-factor 9, but Archie (and to a lesser extent Sega) kept it all because they somehow care about Sonic's canon way more than they should have to... and in a way it's kinda awesome.

Remember, this Amy in the comics found a way to age progress herself to better lure in Sonic. So while she looks 17 her brain is 12.

Yeah... that happened.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or