On Cowboys

Pages 1 2 NEXT

On Cowboys

You can't take this from me.

Read Full Article

Why do I have the feeling that 'the bit where they start making out' was a contribution from Scary Penny?

I miss Scary Penny... :(

Erin can you please keep your nasty fan fiction confined to the dark parts of the Internet. ...PLEASE!!!

Oh, crack fiction.

The sad part is that crack pairings are almost universally written better than ones that are actually plausible... authors have to go that extra mile to make it at least seem plausible.

Please Erin, don't do anything to Spike Spiegel.
He's one of the only Cowboys in fiction to not be presented like this!

Erin ... plz.
Don't kill my childhood!

"The part where who starts making out?"
" EVERYONE ."

Spike & co. would be more likely to be chasing down the Firefly crew than joining up with them. But yeah, it kinda works.

Yup.

This pretty much.

Even if it was just horrible fan service I can't deny that if Joss Whedon were to create a sexy Firefly/Cowboy Bebop mashup I could die content with the state of the world.

My God, what have I become!

Never understood why people enjoyed Cowboy Bebop. I tried really hard to get into it, but it just seemed so ... bland. I think maybe Jet was the only actually likeable character in the show. I guess it's just one those personal taste things.

That said, I think Firefly is well played out and, despite being cancelled early, it was wrapped up in a way that ended up satisfying enough. Same with Farscape. I'd like to look forward to new IP's rather than people spending all their time mooning for old properties.

We'll always have Firefly. I'd like to see some neat, new universes.

I obviously haven't seen Steve Blum's face enough if I'm actually confusing him with Joss Whedon.

Alarien:
Never understood why people enjoyed Cowboy Bebop. I tried really hard to get into it, but it just seemed so ... bland. I think maybe Jet was the only actually likeable character in the show. I guess it's just one those personal taste things.

That said, I think Firefly is well played out and, despite being cancelled early, it was wrapped up in a way that ended up satisfying enough. Same with Farscape. I'd like to look forward to new IP's rather than people spending all their time mooning for old properties.

We'll always have Firefly. I'd like to see some neat, new universes.

I enjoyed it and I don't like anime. The hacker guy/girl ed was kinda annoying but the Ein, Spike, Jet and Faye were all great and enjoyable.

Mal x Spike?

>_>

<_<

>_>

I'd buy it.

:3

I didn't want an image of Spike making out with with Mal in my head. *Thinks of Faye sexing up another female character in random sci-fi series.* There much better. Erin's yuri fangirl fiction isn't giving me nightmare's tonight. Now to quell the nightmares that Joss Wedon, J. J. Abrams, or any other overhyped writer/director getting the helm of the BeBop live action film. *Thinks of Quentin Tarrentino writing a script with lots of dialog about life in the Red Dragon Crime Syndicate, with the intention of casting Samuel L. Jackson as Jet.* Well, at least it will be bloody and hilarious, while having the same mood as the show even if the story veers off a little.

Cowboy Bebop had it's moments. It was a touch overhyped and felt a bit insubstantial, not to mention episodic. A shame really, considering the excellent premise and characters, a first rate show was a distinct possibility.
A Joss Weadon remake would have to revolve around a gradual arc, ala GoT or BSG. Also, casting would be vital. Sean Penn for Spike.

...Though I probably wouldn't go the route that Erin has in mind, I'd love to see a Cowboy Bebop/Firefly crossover (done well of course, God knows there's enough bad fanfiction on the internet... Trust me, I've seen enough of that...)

Good thing I haven't seen Firefly and only seen one episode of Bebop, otherwise I might be clawing my eyes out right now. At first I was a bit "huh", but then I recognized who the others aside from Spike were supposed to be, I chuckled merrily.

StormShaun:

Erin ... plz.
Don't kill my childhood!

I concur. Please stay away from Joss, Erin. He'll be busy enough with Avengers 2.

Colonel Mustard:
Why do I have the feeling that 'the bit where they start making out' was a contribution from Scary Penny?

I miss Scary Penny... :(

I'm pretty sure it's just Erin being Erin.

canadamus_prime:
Erin can you please keep your nasty fan fiction confined to the dark parts of the Internet. ...PLEASE!!!

I thought she was. HEYO!

Robyrt:
Spike & co. would be more likely to be chasing down the Firefly crew than joining up with them. But yeah, it kinda works.

That's the beauty of fanfic. It doesn't have to make sense.

CrazyGirl17:
...Though I probably wouldn't go the route that Erin has in mind, I'd love to see a Cowboy Bebop/Firefly crossover (done well of course, God knows there's enough bad fanfiction on the internet... Trust me, I've seen enough of that...)

Now I want to see Firefly cross over with Galaxy Rangers.

bartholen:
Good thing I haven't seen Firefly and only seen one episode of Bebop, otherwise I might be clawing my eyes out right now. At first I was a bit "huh", but then I recognized who the others aside from Spike were supposed to be, I chuckled merrily.

Judging from your avatar, clawing your eyes out might not do any good.

A psychic assassin and a genius Welsh Corgi. Overpowered.

Barciad:
Cowboy Bebop had it's moments. It was a touch overhyped and felt a bit insubstantial, not to mention episodic.

That would probably be because of the episodes.

Glibness aside though, I think CB's episodic structure is what makes it so brilliant. Like most of Watanabe's work, it's a mashup of multiple genres, which is reflected in the very wide range of storylines (some of which are good enough to drive entire seasons of lesser shows). The actual story-driven, Spike vs Vicious stuff is actually the weakest part of the series, imo.

It took me a while to identify everybody. The Serenity crew was relatively easy, that guy from Cowboy Bebop I only know from sfdebris' reviews and the guy with the red hair is, I assume, Joss Whedon. Yeah, they say that explaining the joke destroys it, but piecing it together yourself isn't much better.

And now I want to see a Firefly intro set to "Tank!"

The Wooster:

That would probably be because the episodes.

Glibness aside though, I think CB's episodic structure is what makes it so brilliant. Like most of Watanabe's work, it's a mashup of multiple genres, which is reflected in the very wide range of storylines (some of which are good enough to drive entire seasons of lesser shows). The actual story-driven, Spike vs Vicious stuff is actually the weakest part of the series, imo.

I think it just comes down to a combination of personal tastes and new technology. Since the invention of the DVD and the popularisation of the DVD box set it has become possible to watch entire series in only a few sittings. The kinds of series that benefit from this kind of treatment are the ones that play out like novels. Thus, series like The Wire, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad have been allowed to flourish in this new market.
Cowboy Bebop on the other hand is distinctly episodic and works best if episodes are watched in isolation. If this was something that I would be watching one a week, I would probably love it. However, my exposure to anime has always been through extended sittings of multiple episodes at any one time. Thus, it has been those series that have been able to effectively execute the 'grand narrative' that I have enjoyed the most. For example, series like 'Crest of the Stars', 'Infinite Ryvius', or 'Now and then, Here and There'.

StormShaun:

Erin ... plz.
Don't kill my childhood!

While I get the hate against the whole Yaoi thing, I'd still most likely watch this anyway just for the appeal of seeing Spike on the Serenity. :P

Captcha: Two Hands: Sorry, need to sit on mine :P

Meh, Outlaw Star was better.

COME AT ME BRO!

Butt cereal folks, you should be used to awkward slash fiction having been on the internet for more than 5 minutes.

You hear that? Thats the sound of thousands of fans either jizzing their pants or or projectile vomiting.

I'm more in the WTF? group.

Fifty-One:
A psychic assassin and a genius Welsh Corgi. Overpowered.

nerf inc

Can I assume that was Joss in the last panel?

I'd love to see a Marvel style build-up of Firefly and Beebop movies leading up to a crossover with the Beebop going after the Serenity crew for a bounty, of course it ending up with them working together when the Alliance tries to screw Jet, Spike, and the rest out of the bounty, and the movie ending with the two crews docked together after defeating/getting away from the Alliance cruiser(s). The Beebop guys don't get the bounty, but the crews have a big meal together, so at least they get some new friends and a good meal out of it.

I'm just thinking of all the funny bits of dialogue between Ed and Kalie in such a crossover. Or Ed and Ein getting in a fight with River about Computer Hacking. And oh, what shenanigans will Faye and Inara get up to?

Ha ha ha ha .. oh wow, this one made me laugh for a solid 2 minutes because of Erin's expression while stating what she wants to do with our beloved character from Cowboy Bebop .. *whew*

Also that man in bed has a very calm expression for someone that had their house broken in and the 'intruder' is trying to make their life go on a risky path with choices.

... Choices.

Diablo1099:

While I get the hate against the whole Yaoi thing, I'd still most likely watch this anyway just for the appeal of seeing Spike on the Serenity. :P

Captcha: Two Hands: Sorry, need to sit on mine :P

True, true ... but if we did cut the yaoi part out and left in a bad-ass crossover between this two.
Would it be an animated movie/series where the original FF crew do voices ... or would it be a realtime movie/series, but then who would play Spike?

Who is awesome enough to play that character I wonder.

Caramel Frappe:
Ha ha ha ha .. oh wow, this one made me laugh for a solid 2 minutes because of Erin's expression while stating what she wants to do with our beloved character from Cowboy Bebop .. *whew*

Also that man in bed has a very calm expression for someone that had their house broken in and the 'intruder' is trying to make their life go on a risky path with choices.

... Choices.

That was Joss Whedon. Honestly I'm surprised Dr. Horrible didn't make an entrance.

PunkRex:
Meh, Outlaw Star was better.

COME AT ME BRO!

Butt cereal folks, you should be used to awkward slash fiction having been on the internet for more than 5 minutes.

On one hand Cowboy Bebop had great episodes that allow them to experiment witg each episodes in a number of genre based ways, on the other hand Outlaw Star has Aisha Clan Clan so I guess they tie

Also if Erin is getting cowboys I highly suggest she gets Johnny JoeStar

Space Dandy deserves to get in on this somehow.

Seriously if you like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop, you NEED to be watching Space Dandy.

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that something like this had actually happened to Joss Whedon.

Also, you know what this sci-fi mashup needs? Some representatives from games and literature. Make it a four-way between Mal, Spike, Commander Shephard, and Takeshi Kovacs, and it probably be the sexiest thing ever in the history of sexy things.

Paul Gauguin:
My eyes close and uncomprehendingly see the dream in the infinite space that stretches away, elusive, before me.

I'm guessing the little text beneath the panels refer to this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here