Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Best Moments of Final Fantasy's Lightning

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Best Moments of Final Fantasy's Lightning

Lisa lists off the best 5 moments featuring everyone's favorite pink-haired ass-kicker.

Watch Video

I always loved Lightning's 5-move combo. Run up and hit someone with your sword before somersaulting backwards and shooting them mid-jump (with your sword!), yes please!

And for all the attitude I really enjoyed the moments when she began to soften and step in as a mother figure for Hope.

And the jumping right off an edge onto the gravity device... and the beginning cutscene... Lightning's just really good at what she does. When Lightning sorts something out, it stays sorted.

Making a lot of assumptions about your audiences preferences Lisa.

Lightning sounds a bit of a smoker or someone who recently stopped smoking.

Really do like her design though.

Lightning is an incredibly tired character archetype and has nothing interesting to offer beyond that.

Have to say I will give this one a miss (which is a first) as Lightning, while not anywhere near as bad as some characters in the XIII games (here's looking at you Snow and/or Hope) she still really gets on my nerves. So unless one of the top 5 moments picked is the one where she turns into a statue for a few mins, thus sparing us having to lisern to her speak I will have to disagree with all of them.

I'm glad you included that punching as the final one. I remember that moment in XIII when she hit snow and I went, "Finally, someone shut him up." Sadly, he kept talking, but man that blow felt good.

Just picked the game up today. Going to start it later tonight or Thursday probably.

Not exactly a fan of Lightning here. I'm having trouble figuring out how people turn her constant negativity into a positive. Ooh well, nice video as always.

The real best Lightning moment is when the devs realize she is the blandest protagonist ever and stop making games about her. Or the constant mocking of her on podtoid for like 2 months after Lightning returns was announced.

Wait, that armor, the wing half skirt, talk of Valhalla... Is Lightning a Valkyrie now?

Never really did like Lightning much, not sure why. Her personality always seemed to rub me the wrong way. Debbie downers can get annoying o_O

Good lord the Lightning hate is ridiculous. Guys I didn't like XIII either (although I bought Lightning returns because nothing else interesting has come out lately and the battle system is fun) but I have never seen this much vitriol before. I'm not demanding you like XII (I didn't) or think Lightning is a great character (she isn't) but I really don't get why she is considered the worst thing ever.

Somehow I get the feeling I'm going to feel almost as unwelcome on this site for the next few weeks as I did when I made the mistake of liking Diablo 3...

major_chaos:
Good lord the Lightning hate is ridiculous. Guys I didn't like XIII either (although I bought Lightning returns because nothing else interesting has come out lately and the battle system is fun) but I have never seen this much vitriol before. I'm not demanding you like XII (I didn't) or think Lightning is a great character (she isn't) but I really don't get why she is considered the worst thing ever.

Somehow I get the feeling I'm going to feel almost as unwelcome on this site for the next few weeks as I did when I made the mistake of liking Diablo 3...

You are not your opinions. Someone can hate something you love without it being an attack on you.

trick post: she has no worthwhile moments. because she's not a worthwhile character.

now a top 5 best moments of final fantasy's wakka? that i could get behind.

If the game were just a cutscene 30 hours of Lightning punching everyone else in the face, it'd be my game of the year. And more interactive than FF13.

I actually couldn't get past her voice actress. Mopey Liara doesn't appeal to me.

Eric the Orange:

You are not your opinions. Someone can hate something you love without it being an attack on you.

Yes, but with D3 (and LR, albeit not on this site yet) it got to the point were the haters were making personal attacks. i remember one standout piece of work who said he if he owned a business wouldn't hire someone who claimed to enjoy Diablo 3 because they obviously are not capable of objective reasoning. That's how bad the hate for some games gets at its peak, and it kills my desire to be part of the community until the loudest bunch can settle the fuck down.

Must say I was never a fan of lightning. While these weren't bad picks for what she has (I mean I did laugh at lightning just punching everyone) I don't think she's anywhere near interesting enough to warrent a whole top 5. Since, y'know her summon being a pick just feels a little forced.

I honestly can't tell if this was supposed to be a sarcastic video or not.

Do you really like Lightning?
If there's supposed to be a joke here I don't get it.
This video kind of lost me, more power to ya if you like her but I was really expecting some sort of a punch line at the end of the video, or was the number one the "Punch"line. clever. 10 out of 10

I was never a huge Lightning fan, but to each their own. I like more than a few things other people hate.

To be honest it seemed like someone said "Hey, let's make a female version of Squall but with a sharper tongue, more vindictive attitude, and less charisma..." I mostly felt she worked in XIII (as far as I played it) because it was an ensemble cast, and there really wasn't one hero/protagonist, as a result everyone was fairly simplistic, had their role and personality to play off each other, and a fairly predictable character art. Lightning seemed to mostly be the "unlikable badass, who sacrifices herself for everyone, proving what a great and heroic person she was all along" which is fine actually, I like characters like that as a matter of course, but she's not one of my personal favorites.

Yeah, lots of Lightning which is to be expected. Albeit, for pretty good reasons. Personally, I didn't find the character as loathsome as some of the others in that game (Hope, Snow, Vanille). Hell if nothing else I found a camaraderie with Lightning who seemed to hate everything going on as much as I did. I mean after she punched Snow I thought I might like the game. I was wrong.... but at least it pushed me through some more hours of that game hoping she would just hit Vanille too.

Yeah, lots of Lightning which is to be expected. Albeit, for pretty good reasons. Personally, I didn't find the character as loathsome as some of the others in that game (Hope, Snow, Vanille). Hell if nothing else I found a camaraderie with Lightning who seemed to hate everything going on as much as I did. I mean after she punched Snow I thought I might like the game. I was wrong.... but at least it pushed me through some more hours of that game hoping she would just hit Vanille too.

Couldnt finish watching the video. The dialogue just sounds too dumb and the voice acting is...not good.

The best thing about Lighting is that she currently shows up in FFXIV, in some related FATEs. A tank and a healer is always nice.

Other than that, she's a fairly bland character in a very bland game.

I'm curious about this new game but I'd convinced I wouldn't be able to understand the convoluted story

I'm so glad you showed her punching snow and then punching him again as he gets back up.
I hate snow and everything he represents so for me, that was the best moment in the entire game! XD

ITT: People who hate Lightning but, based on their comments, have very obviously never actually played XIII.

My personal favorite Lightning moment comes courtesy of Duodecim. Her badassness is encompassed perfectly in this moment:

Garland: "There is nothing ahead that will change your situation. The only thing awaits you is your inevitable doom!"
Lightning: So what's your point?"

I've never played any FF (so I'm not really sure why I watched this, if I'm honest :P ), but I have to say this video hasn't really encouraged me to try it out any time soon. I mean, I kinda want to give the series a go at some point because it's such a big part of gaming culture, but if all the dialogue and characters are like that (and these are meant to be the highlights?)... yeah, no.

Each to their own and all that, but this doesn't do it for me.

if Lightning AKA girl cloud is such a good character why did they have to announce they were increasing her breast size for the new game?

Aside from Sazh, Lightning was the only one, no, only thing whatsoever I liked about that game.

The fact that she hates Snow really helps.
She hates him so much that when she temporarily lost her sanity and gave him and Serah her blessing, reality couldn't cope and tore her from existence. Shut up, that's totally what happened.

Man, to this day I'm still amazed I was able to slog through that game.
I guess it helped that I only had to mash Auto-Attack or whatever to win every fight.

Yeah lightning is pretty boring, I wish someday we can have game of thrones depth characters as a protagonist.

major_chaos:

Eric the Orange:

Yes, but with D3 (and LR, albeit not on this site yet) it got to the point were the haters were making personal attacks. i remember one standout piece of work who said he if he owned a business wouldn't hire someone who claimed to enjoy Diablo 3 because they obviously are not capable of objective reasoning. That's how bad the hate for some games gets at its peak, and it kills my desire to be part of the community until the loudest bunch can settle the fuck down.

true, but those people are on the other end of the spectrum. Just as you shouldn't be insulted if someone hates something you love, You should not insult others who love something you hate. Personally when I see someone doing this I discard there insult as illogical and thus not worthy of considering.

Like for example as you brought up Diablo 3. Lots of people hated it, and they were very vocal about that hate. I liked it, and I did not let there opinions hamper my opinion or enjoyment. and if someone were to insult me over that my opinion I would ignore it as I felt it had no merit.

Dead Raen:
ITT: People who hate Lightning but, based on their comments, have very obviously never actually played XIII.

My personal favorite Lightning moment comes courtesy of Duodecim. Her badassness is encompassed perfectly in this moment:

Garland: "There is nothing ahead that will change your situation. The only thing awaits you is your inevitable doom!"
Lightning: So what's your point?"

This argument reminds me of the "well you just don't get it" argument. Because it assumes there is no possible way that there opinion could be wrong. It is pretty much just saying "I'm not wrong, your just stupid". Which isn't really an argument at all.

lightning, the other grumpy pussy...

its sad that final fantasy has come to this. an endless rehash of one generic tsundere character.

I really liked Lightning. A big part of why was that she wasn't one of the cliched Japanese game female characters - she wasn't a nice, sweet milksop and she wasn't a tsundere blowing hot and cold, or any of that other mess. She was no-nonsense and she didn't care if you didn't like her. She felt like a soldier. And she always punched Snow in the face juuuust when I was most wishing someone would punch him in the face.

Plus, I played it in Japanese, so I had Maaya Sakamoto's voice acting, and just from the clips I've seen of the English voices, that DEFINITELY made a big difference. The corny lines didn't seem nearly as corny with Sakamoto.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here