Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Adventure Game Chain

The Adventure Game Chain

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

The ultimate personification of every dickhead on the Internet.

Jim's had a good point, a very true rhyme about a very true disease on the internet.
Trolls who take life for granted unless it is their own.

Unfortunately they can't be as smart or creative as us.
So I doubt they can copy what Jim did without mentioning the word "Poop" and "corpse" a couple of times.
*sigh*
We have freedom on the internet, yet governments want to take it away for the weirdest of reasons (some are understandable) and they don't do much about these stupid people. :/

I'd actually want to play Yahtzee's adventure game. And how truthful, Jim, your morbid persona never ceases to amaze me.

Yea, that is quite morbid from Jim. But this is what the death threat spouting garbage on the internet is like. If they held up a mirror and told that to themselves, they would know how utterly rubbish what they're saying is. Unfortunately, one cannot install mind filters in someone's mind to stop that. On the internet at least.

As for Yahtzee's, it reminds me of the trade quest in link's awakening. But instead of really solving puzzles, you keep trading for various knick knacks. Still, that is quite evocative(is that it?) of old point n clicks. Lotsa GUIDE DANG IT! in there.

Yahtzee's made me laugh out loud this week, really great poem :) Jim's was mostly just depressing, partly because people actually do that, and partly because it reminded me of Maverick Bird, a game that wasted half of today :P

Terry Cavanagh is an amazing game designer, by far my favourite indie.

Edit: I literally just spent one and a half hours playing that game. Current high score is 68.

...I need to get a life :P

Wow, Jim's one has perfectly captured the absolute insanity of some internet people.
Yahtzee's poem was great, too. The puzzles in adventure games really often don't make a lot of sense.

Is Jim going to have a different mask every week now? That would be such a stupid idea and if anyone disagrees I will hunt them down, break their legs and eat their first born child.

Also I loved Yahtzee's poem, you can tell he's an actual adventure game designer.

See my problem with Jim's poems is that they require a more in-depth knowledge of Jim Sterling and what he does; certainly a greater understanding then what I can get on the Escapist alone. I mean Yahtzee usually has an obvious, if sarcastic, point. Jim's always requires more research just to get, usually about some obscure Forum post or something involving another website. And I guess THAT'S my problem. His poems so rarely involve video games or the Escapist. And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't have 30+ accounts on 30+ gaming sites.

So I rarely know what he's going on about...

Yahtzee's punchline made me laugh out loud :D Why didn't he just ask the King for a fork? ;) He said he'd give him anything! Could have saved himself a couple of steps!

Jim's was freaky until I realized what it was about :D Haha, nice one!

Excellent work, gents! Yahtzee, I was giggling all the way through your poem and the Wonderland logic of old-school adventure game puzzles. I think in at least on of your ZP videos, you say that those games' designers huff just the right amount of glue to come up with those things. Jim, I assume the masks and distorted voice are going to be a regular thing.

Ow. My head hurts now.

The poems were both great, but my goodness that flashy, shaky image thing was horrendous.

Tony Slattery? Now there's a name I haven't heard in ages!

StormShaun:
Jim's had a good point, a very true rhyme about a very true disease on the internet.
Trolls who take life for granted unless it is their own.

It's not just trolls, though. People will deride someone for thinking they may be unsafe when they received threatening calls because "it's the internet." We have normalised this sort of behaviour.

As usual Yatzee is the master of words but Jim is the master of emotions. Well played guys, thank you.

Silentpony:
See my problem with Jim's poems is that they require a more in-depth knowledge of Jim Sterling and what he does; certainly a greater understanding then what I can get on the Escapist alone. I mean Yahtzee usually has an obvious, if sarcastic, point. Jim's always requires more research just to get, usually about some obscure Forum post or something involving another website. And I guess THAT'S my problem. His poems so rarely involve video games or the Escapist. And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't have 30+ accounts on 30+ gaming sites.

While i do follow Jim outside of this website, his topics are not hard to get or in need of research if you at least skim the titles of the news posted on escapist. It usually involves something from there.

Silentpony:

I think they're only hard to get if you literally isolate yourself to the Escapist forums. Even then, the topics are usually derived from news or events that the Escapist itself has reported on.

Very, VERY few of these have been based on anything obscure. Maybe the Matt Borealis and the Dean Cain one. And I don't regret those ones.

Jimothy Sterling:

Silentpony:
SNIP

I think they're only hard to get if you literally isolate yourself to the Escapist forums. Even then, the topics are usually derived from news or events that the Escapist itself has reported on.

Very, VERY few of these have been based on anything obscure. Maybe the Matt Borealis and the Dean Cain one. And I don't regret those ones.

OH! Yes! The Matt Borealis/David Boreanaz one! What was that one about?! I remember reading in the comments you guys met at a Con of one stripe or another and he was like really friendly and nice.

And I don't 'isolate', but I have a busy life so I have limited time. Between your Monday show, top 5 with Lisa, Zero Punctuation and the Friday podcast, that's a majority of my allotted free-time.

Sorry I keep coming off as a dick during out talks; not my intention!

Auron225:
Yahtzee's punchline made me laugh out loud :D Why didn't he just ask the King for a fork? ;) He said he'd give him anything! Could have saved himself a couple of steps!

Yeah, but he would not have gotten "255 out of 255"

OT: I understand what Jim is talking about; I just don't know of specific cases where people behave like this... and I lurk in some dark places of the internet (so what is he talking about?)

Regarding the video of Jim's part:

You know how Yahtzee, in his review of the 3DS, said something about his eyeballs swiveling around in their sockets in protest? I actually felt that while trying to watch Jim's bit. It was physically painful to watch; I had to switch tabs here just to continue listening to the poem (and to complain, of course). Frame bounce, sepia tone AND random flashing? Ugh.

Poem was good, though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here