Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and has a chat with Nintendo.

Watch Video

It took me the majority of that video to realize that he had stopped reviewing the game....I feel manipulated

Your tongue may vilify, but your eyes plead Nintendo to get itself together.

I would like to buy a WiiU at some point.

That point being when it's closer to $200 then $300 and when it has a Kirby game and Bayonetta and at least something that interests me outside of hopping on enemies with Mario's arse.

lassiie:
It took me the majority of that video to realize that he had stopped reviewing the game....I feel manipulated

I know; The misleading title will confound my sorting system.

That was a clever way of just embracing the "bash on Nintendo" part of most Nintendo reviews (see the comments for Rayman Origins and the Mario game it was tied with), or the review of New Super Mario Bros Wii. The discussion of all three sides of the gaming story (Nintendo, Xbox One/PS4 and the PC) was much easier to swallow than the bile of Exclusives Showdown, and I actually found it entertaining.

Since you're playing 2013 games, can you pick up Rayman Legends? Origins was the only game other than Portal to not have a single complaint about it, and Legends is really good. FarCry Classic's out on the 360 now as well.

Sega also publishes Total War series which doesn't look too good at the moment either and owns at least some of THQ stuff.

Deception: I don't really get the zelda games, maybe I should catch up on them a bit. Not having any consoles may make it difficult though.

See, it's almost like there's two Nintendos. The Handheld Nintendo which makes great games, great hardware, and knows what its doing.

Then there's console Nintendo which is out of date, out of touch, doesn't seem to understand that the internet is a thing that exists, and alienating developers and customers at an unprecedented rate.

How are these the same company? Don't ask me.

So, as I can tell from the most recent "Let's Drown Out..." and this video, when's that Dark Souls review going to be happening?

I just realized: Yahtzee dislikes Nintendo games not because they are inherently bad, but because he does not think on the same "wavelength" as us Nintendo fans. We grew up with The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario Bros 3 (or in my case, their Nintendo 64 evolutions), while he grew up with PCs with adventure games like Fantasy World Dizzy.

Yahtzee is reluctant to write-off the streamlined and unsurprising adventure games of today because of a fondness of that genre's past, sort-of like I think Super Mario 3D World is GOTY 2013 because I'm fond of the Mario games that led up to it. Both of us dismiss A Link Between Worlds because neither of us have grown up with SNES Zelda. Meanwhile, the part of the fanbase that is older than me loves its guts out and has fallen in love with the 3DS.

I Was half way through before I realized that you stopped reviewing this game. I am worried fore Nintendo.

While I think all the points Yahtzee brought up were valid there's one he said that really sticks out bigger over the others: Games. This console will recover just fine if it finds its killer app. If a new Metroid game came out I would buy that thing tomorrow.

Wait, I should probably clarify that:
A GOOD Metroid game.

It's a sad day that I have to be specific with that qualifier relating to Metroid, but Team Ninja just had to go and ruin it for everyone.

I Still haven't even bother to pick up the Wii U. its not bad , just still waiting for the right ammount of worth while game amounts. at least in my opinion.

C.TYR:
So, as I can tell from the most recent "Let's Drown Out..." and this video, when's that Dark Souls review going to be happening?

This was my first thought as well.

I'd imagine it would probably just be the Demon's Souls video again, with less word fuckery, but I still want to see it.

Rtoip:
Sega also publishes Total War series which doesn't look too good at the moment either and owns at least some of THQ stuff.

Sega also publishes Yakuza, which is plain awesome and the new ones will never ever come to the west as it looks like :(

Wait, Yahtzee reviewed a Nintendo game where he doesn't totally trash Nintendo? Am I dreaming?

He says he respects that Nintendo still makes gaming machines, and judging by the last part, he doesn't support them going third party, because it didn't turn out well for Sega (he says that Sonic's games suck and they made Colonial Marines).

Is it just me, or have the last few reviews just been Yahtzee getting on his soapbox and criticizing the next generation of consoles? This review, Knack, Killzone, and Ryse.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

C.TYR:

I'd imagine it would probably just be the Demon's Souls video again, with less word fuckery, but I still want to see it.

No, he and his friend Gabriel have legitimately been enjoying the game and they talked about it for well over a half of an hour. I'm thinking he might have some more actual commentary on the characters, setting, and such this time.

If not on Dark Souls I, he's certainly said that he's looking forward to Dark Souls II.

C.TYR:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

C.TYR:

No, he and his friend Gabriel have legitimately been enjoying the game and they talked about it for well over a half of an hour. I'm thinking he might have some more actual commentary on the characters, setting, and such this time.

If not on Dark Souls I, he's certainly said that he's looking forward to Dark Souls II.

Oh, sweet.

I always forget he has a YouTube channel that he does things on.

It's like how you see your teachers a little kid and can't picture them outside the school so you assume they sleep in coffins all summer.

Strangely though, me and my brother are considering buying a Wii or even a WiiU when the prices drop. Mostly for the ability to have games such a Super Metroid and Megaman X officially and some party games like Mario Kart and Mario Party. Ironic how the less abusive console this generation is the one moving less units.

C.TYR:

He said in his last video that he's looking forward for Dark Souls II. Can't belive that he finally got into it.

Yahtzee is actually starting to resemble Top Gear now.

Not so much reviewing something (games or cars) but using the idea of reviewing something to vent their opinions, tangentially related things, or use it as a jumping off point for nonsense and explosions.

Congrats Yahtzee.

I'm having trouble interpreting which definition of "fixed" Yahtzee is using at the end there.

Frankly I just find it kind of telling that rumors are already spreading about Nintendo moving past the WiiU before the system's sellers are out (Mario Kart, SSB, Bayonetta, X...)

JenSeven:

Not so much reviewing something (games or cars) but using the idea of reviewing something to vent their opinions, tangentially related things, or use it as a jumping off point for nonsense and explosions.

Congrats Yahtzee.

I agree. I feel like this video would have been better suited as an Extra Punctuation, instead of a review.

Wasn't expecting that.

Everytime this topic comes up, I blame two things: 1. Nintendo's lame marketing department and 2. pretentious ignorant people that have no business calling themselves gamers. (coughSeanMalstromcoughcough)

And really, I don't think the WiiU's touch screen controller is any more forced than the Kinect and the touch pad on the XBone and PS4. The majority of games I own just use it for either an extra map screen or off-screen play. So really 3rd Party devs have no damn excuse other than, "we only want to pander to the 'cool crowd' which is the neanderthals that make up 90% of the gaming community on YouTube."

Yahtzee, speaking as somebody who listened to what you were saying well enough to notice you stopped reviewing the game almost immediately, I think you're underselling the biggest feature of that Wii U gamepad. If you look at it as a touch screen in competition with the iPad, as this faux review would seem to be, then of course it's going to look rather strange, to say the least: there's no 3G version and it doesn't even have internal storage.

What that Wii U gamepad does is facilitate the family TV doing two things at once. Somebody can be playing a game on the Wii U (maybe even in the next room) while somebody else is using the TV. This is fantastic when you have two kids in the house and one wants to watch a cartoon while the other wants to play the Wii U, as well as when your elderly father is hogging the TV and your 37-year-old shutin self wants to play the Wii U (and I don't think that's just me).

You point out the difference between the computer being in the office and the TV being in the living room, and this one feature alone establishes that Nintendo very much recognizes this.

A bit disappointing this rant was wasted on a Zelda that tributes the past while finally breaking out of the stagnation that holds over the series like a murky fog, instead of the reviews of either Zelda title he covered that were quite literally just reheated shiny ports.

Thanatos2k:

How are these the same company? Don't ask me.

Keep in mind, two years ago the 3DS was also deemed a failure, even to the point where people were saying the iPhone had clearly made Nintendo's handhelds obsolete and that Nintendo should move to the iPhone market if it wanted to stay relevant to mobile gaming. It's sort of odd to think about now, but it is good to remember that Nintendo really only found its success with the 3DS last year, and before that it was the same doomsday scenario the Wii U is facing. Of course, I'm not saying the Wii U is going to suddenly become a massive success, and it has more to overcome than the 3DS, but it's still not like the 3DS has been without some trouble in the past either.

MoltenSilver:

Wait, I should probably clarify that:
A GOOD Metroid game.

It's a sad day that I have to be specific with that qualifier relating to Metroid, but Team Ninja just had to go and ruin it for everyone.

Part of me just hopes that Retro Studios will finally be allowed to make a new one now after Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is pretty much complete. Don't get me wrong, I love Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country Returns was a fantastic game. Still, I would love to see them make another Metroid game.

It feels more these days like Yahtzee wants to rant like Jim than review games. And you know what? He should. He would be happier and have FAR more free time to catch up on that monumental catalog he has missed because he has to play terrible games and make comedy videos about them for 80% of his work year.

I'm getting tired of watching the same cynicism from this show. It's been getting samey as time goes on, and that does not help its author grow. Zero Punctuation has entered its "Seventh Season" in terms of its value. I'd really love to see Mr. Croshaw evolve his media platform into new areas the way he does with Extra Punctuation.

Yeah, yeah, wii 1.5 now with pointless ipad controller is a bad idea with no games. Tell us something we don't know.

Dark souls review when? Because dark souls 2 is coming out soon. You got shit to do son.

I always look at the comments of waving the 3DS as some kind of wonder item, the best selling system of the year, so on and so forth statements in the hopes that it will be evidence that Nintendo is not on the downhill slide towards a non-entity like Atari... that they dominate the hand held market.

Well, considering that officially, the hand held market is only two real entries... Nintendo's 3DS/2DS and Sony's Vita. So of course when you compare those two things, you get a wonderfully rosy picture.

But then there is the realization that there is... well... more to the hand held market. We don't include the various apple products. You know, the Iphone and Ipad. Those are pretty much portable gaming. They move tons. Android phones and tablets? Tons. That is portable gaming.

So then, looking at it like that, Nintendo is really still a second rate product that hangs on the fact that they jealously guard a few IPs that keep people buying a product that if they didn't have Pokemon on it, it would be a foot note in history so far.

It is something to think about. Nintendo really needs to think about what they are doing but I doubt they will.

geldonyetich:
You point out the difference between the computer being in the office and the TV being in the living room, and this one feature alone establishes that Nintendo very much recognizes this.

Hence this "intervention". He treated Nintendo pretty much as a friend with a bad habit, like drinking half a bottle of vodka for breakfast or letting Sakamoto release Other M.

I doubt Nintendo will ever go the way of Sega.

JenSeven:

Congrats Yahtzee.

I'm not sure if he would appreciate being compared to Jeremy Clarkson. However,the man does have a couple of reasonable points. The mainstream games industry does seem to be getting more and more farcical by the day. I am still trying to cook up one good reason as to why I would want to buy any of the new games platforms. Gaming technology doesn't need to get any more advanced. Thus, I have my beloved indie scene. My greatest fear being now that they somehow ruin themselves as well. Then I don't know what I'd do.

Roger:
A bit disappointing this rant was wasted on a Zelda that tributes the past while finally breaking out of the stagnation that holds over the series like a murky fog, instead of the reviews of either Zelda title he covered that were quite literally just reheated shiny ports.

That sounds a lot like what every other reviewer has said about the game. Perhaps Yahtzee intentionally chose this game to do his soapbox because he agreed with what other reviewers were saying for the most part. I have no idea of knowing for sure, though, but if that is infact true, then it would make sense.

Rtoip:
Sega also publishes Total War series which doesn't look too good at the moment

If by "not so good" you mean "essentially non-functional", then yes, that is an accurate statement.

Oh Yahtzee, you loveable scamp you. You've done it again and wonderfully so.

Frankly, I don't know that Nintendo can actually do anything to fix their situation this generation sort of putting a new console out and I don't know if that would do anything more than piss off the people who actually bought the WiiU.

Rock and a hard place. And another rock if you ask me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here