Escape to the Movies: Robocop

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Robocop

MovieBob dives headlong into the Robocop remake.

Watch Video

Most of what I've heard about this movie is "It's just okay". Kind of nice that they haven't tried to make just a straight beat for beat re-make though, even if it misses the point much of the time.

It's another case of "Well what were you expecting?". This was always going to be bad.

Oh, I do love it when Bob goes an a rant.

I agree with you. This remake doesn't hold a candle to the original.

I'm not surprised, Robocop, I'm just disappointed. I should have guessed when people were getting all up in arms about the rating that they were going to replace the criminals with robots that can be shot to pieces without gore.

Off-Topic, I think that Eisenberg can do a good Luthor; we know from Social Network that he can sneer properly. But for the love of God, get the boy some protein powder; I want to see this finally be present in a movie Luthor:

I watched it Bod but don't hurt mine by holding back on AoS. Open up on those guys.

Haven't seen the new Robocop and I wasn't going to but thanks for clearing any doubt I might have had about it being bad.

According to movie bob, someone who has some appreciation for the original, which is as he says a really really good 80s action film, science fiction film, Orwellian future film, and all around a great film... The followup that is made today missed the point, created a generic neutered action movie and called it a day... probably in the process making themselves into a parody as they are creating the same kind of shallow nonsense that panders to people that was ridiculed in the original as being a staple of the future.

In other related news: Grass is green.

Well, back to Metal Gear Rising, the cyborg you play there also doesn't have guns, but at least he has a High Frequency Blade to cut your enemies into ribbons! And it seems that the movie isn't even anywhere near Kojima World Order level of military paranoia xD

I don't know why Bob still reviews these. He may as well save time and create a generic "Remake Review Video" and just record himself saying the name of whichever one it is this week to be inserted into blanks around statements like "_______ totally misses the point of the original" and "The remake of _______ is just another bland forgettable action movie."

I'm surprised he didn't mention the hand at all, I was fully expecting the movie to do some really dumb hand joke that calls back to it being blown off the in original. Maybe Bob just didn't have time to mention it.

Why am I not suprised? The 1st warning sign for me was the pg-13 rating but a STUN GUN?!?! I understand, they are trying show him a cop not a solder but when I think of a cyborg cop, I don't think of a stun gun!

I also agree to seeing the lego movie again because it's soooo good!

Bob, you could have just said the Stun Gun and gone home. Man, that is sad.

The Lego Movie is a better RoboCop movie than RoboCop

I can totally see it. In fact, it even wins in the gore department. The Lego Movie is fucking brutal. People getting torn apart, crushed and decapitated with pennies.

Also my favorite part of this review was when you called fans of American Hustle vapid. Because seriously, fuck that movie.

As good as the Original is, it is an example of just how unethical Hollywood is at times. The original is a R rated film cut down from it's original X rating. R and X rated films are supposed to be off limits to kids. Were not even talking teenagers here. Were talking 6 year olds, and yet all the marketing for Robocop was directed at 6 year old audiences. Making a movie that has a rating that as a society we agreed wouldn't be intended for children and then marketing it to children is equivalent to Cigarette companies using cartoons to directly market to children something that as a society we agreed wasn't for children.

Yep, just what I expected. Another case of the "serrrrrrious reboot" that thinks it only has to SAY that it's about all the important/weighty stuff instead of, ya know, being ABOUT said important/weighty stuff. If there's anything I can't stand about movies like this, it's this kind of shallow, insincere, pretty stupid, surface level garbage that thinks so little of its audience that they have spoon feed them about its supposed "deeeeeep" themes so it can get on with its generic, effortless, unimaginative shoot em up or beat em up that rips off every (better) action movie it can think of in the laziest "Are you kidding me? You think I'm stupid enough NOT to notice that??" way possible.

I might have planned to pick this up on DVD just out of curiosity, but from the looks of it, seems like I've already seen this movie a hundred times already.

You know what I have no intention of going to see Batman Vs Superman but if they choose to replace Eisenberg so we can have a inuit harpoon fisherman Lex who hates Superman because of his extream hatred of capes I will change my mind.

Well, at least it'll be forgotten about in 3 months. No one remembers the new Conan or Total Recall, and they won't recall (PUN) this one either.

Usually I agree with you, Bob, but in this instance you're really wide of the mark on this film.

Thunderous Cacophony:
I'm not surprised, Robocop, I'm just disappointed. I should have guessed when people were getting all up in arms about the rating that they were going to replace the criminals with robots that can be shot to pieces without gore.

Off-Topic, I think that Eisenberg can do a good Luthor; we know from Social Network that he can sneer properly. But for the love of God, get the boy some protein powder; I want to see this finally be present in a movie Luthor:

Fantastic scene (that comic book snippet).

OT: Is anyone really surprised?

About the only thing noticeable in this film seems to be that the art department ripped off the Mass Effect Blood Dragon armor and spliced it with the robots from the Total Recall remake. And those robots were a ripoff of Bioware's Sith Troopers from KOTOR.

I dunno, I didn't think it was all that bad. No, it wasn't smart like the last one, but I was entertained regardless. Say what you will about the stun gun, which he doesn't use exclusively BTW, I thought it was funny as shit how he'd just go about tazing dudes with little to no regard. I mean, bottom line was I wasn't bored, it was fun.

I dunno, I get that comparisons need to be drawn to the original, that's unavoidable and in fact necessary. However, Bob, buddy, pal, pull off the nostalgia glasses man. The biggest reason you're slamming this so hard is because just about every single criticism is drawn from a comparison to a different movie. Make no mistake, this is a different movie, and there's nothing wrong with that. Your other points, such as "Why are we in Iraq again?" are perfectly valid, but geez get off the whole, "This isn't the old one." soapbox already.

Better watch Tropa de Elite 1 and 2. They were directed by the same guy, but you'd never knew unless someone told you. I guess Hollywood producers decided to use him as a director only because his films were smash hits in Brazil, so the would capitalize on that. Everyone else will go just because it's Robocop. And it's pg-13, so they'd bring kids. Fuck you, fuck you and fuck you Hollywood.

Yeah... I'm on board until you start calling the audience for this movie stupid and vapid. Maybe they don't care why they are in Iraq, or Iran. Maybe they just want an actions movie. Shame they're all such brain dead windowlickeers.

I get that you don't like it, but critics overstep their limited authority when they attack the audience. Dial it back a bit, Bob.

He looks like an overdesigned, inefficient coffee machine. Both it and the rest of all this dreadful rubbish seems to have spontaneously generated on its own when large sums of money and old, popular IPs were stored together.

Ishal:
Yeah... I'm on board until you start calling the audience for this movie stupid and vapid. Maybe they don't care why they are in Iraq, or Iran. Maybe they just want an actions movie. Shame they're all such brain dead windowlickeers.

I get that you don't like it, but critics overstep their limited authority when they attack the audience. Dial it back a bit, Bob.

Or, perhaps, he is targeting the fact that the movie treats the audience as stupid and vapid by assumption. That does not mean it's true, but it seems to be a concern for the film makers, that's for certain.

MovieBob:
Robocop

MovieBob dives headlong into the Robocop remake.

Watch Video

To summarize: watch Dredd instead.

Like you needed an excuse to see that again anyway. It rocks!

Ishal:

I rather think Bob's critiqing the people who made this movie for treating their audience like idiots stupid and vapid. The original Robocop worked as a brainless action flick as well, but if you looked past the surface, it had a legitimately intelligent plot under the surface of blowing shit the f**k up.

This movie doesn't have that. It's all surface, with nothing underneath. The movie treats the audience like they cannot handle anything more complex than "he's evil, mmmkay?" And frankly, you, me and everyone else deserves better than that.

What, not a big fan of Frank "Whoreswhoreswhoreswhoreswhoreswhores" Miller's screenplays?

well, at least we know that The Lego Movie is a better movie than a rem-make of Robocop. The guys who made it probably feel proud now!

Congradulations Robocop. You are less socially relevant, less thoughtful, and less interesting than a kid's movie about talking plastic.

I came to watch Bob tear this movie a new one, didn't leave disappointed!

Its pretty bad. I hate the people saying its a remake as if its an excuse, like bob said if its going to use the name of a great movie it dam well better try to improve upon it or try somthing new while keeping the core intact. But no these days like many other remakes its the name and nothing else.

*sigh* When I heard that "He-thinks-he's-in-control-but-he-isn't" line in the trailer, I thought that just maybe this movie had a slight chance of not sucking. I didn't really believe that that would be the case, but it was a small ray of hope.

It really does seem like they completely missed the point of the original. And, am I the only one that's really put off by how the new Robocop moves? The original was this slow, plodding tank that walked through whatever bullets, people and/or walls were in between him and his objective. The new one just, moves like any generic superhero, but with guns.

Also the dirt-simple "Drones are bad" sort of message really does bug me. The way the US currently uses drones (distant assassins who kill legitimate targets and innocent civilians with complete impunity, and often without even knowing who they are actually shooting at or whether or not they are actually legitimate targets) is bad. It is both morally reprehensible and a complete diplomatic clusterfuck. But... robotics are the future, and there are a lot of potential merits to both military and civilian robotics, especially once we begin to design machines capable of semi-autonomous or fully autonomous action. It just seems like they latched onto a currently hot-button issue and were like "Let's take this to hilariously evil extremes."

Also, the idea that the US is the last country in the world without robots patrolling the streets? Laughable. Law enforcement agencies across the country are all but climbing over each other to get their hands on civilian-variant predator drones.

Saw it opening day, and the parts that stuck with me are the parts that we saw happen, and then Samuel Jackson turned around from being morally uncertain to absolutely positive. As well, the original mystery that started the whole movie turning. Did not see that coming at all. Also, left more confused as to

... just, like, tacked on right at the end... Also, the scene just after he wakes up in the body, where they take off all of his cyborg parts was both really impressive and riding the edge of 'Did NOT want to see that'...

So Moviebob is telling me that this particular rendition of OCP, He's not down with?
So... He's not down with OCP?
Yeah, you know me.

That above joke will be really funny to the few people who listen to Naughty By Nature at some point in time, making this Anachronistic joke absolutely not funny.

OT: I have no real good feeling about this movie, I saw the original Robocop About two years ago and thought it was mind-blowing. I cannot think of anything better for Robocop than to just re-watch Robocop again. It's an incredible movie in this day and age, and maybe nowhere near as relevant then it was in the 80s, the commentary is still sharp as ever, I think.

If that's on Netflix, I may go watch it. Nice Review, Moviebob.

Mangod:
To summarize: watch Dredd instead.

That's pretty much what I took away from this, the whole time watching this video, I was just confirming what I figured, and for some reason at the end I felt like loading up Netflix and watching Dredd again. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Imma remake Robocop 10,000 times better than the remake. And, just for fun, I'm going to do it in 5 paragraphs or less.

Alex Murphy, all around great beat cop, is struggling to make a difference in failed Detroit, which is now closer to a post-apocalyptic wasteland than a city, with endemic violence, crime and strife. OCP, a large defense contractor, has been putting drones on the streets, which has caused a reduction in violence, but has also spiked huge controversy. The rest of the nation is in turmoil over the "Dronetroit" issue, and there's lots of #Dronetroit shit going on. Into this, enter slick futurist Robert "Bob" Morton. Morton, you see, is member of OCP and a graduate of the Singularity University and thinks that all of humanity will become cyborgs sooner or later and sees the situation as a chance to not just prove himself but prove his ideals about the future.

He approaches the police department with his plan: To take the best cop out there, then make them better with a complete transhuman augmentation program - neural uplink, enhanced reflexes, bulletproof skin, super-strength, adaptive camouflage. Then have that super-cop (a...Robocop, if you will), kick ass, clean up Detroit and boom, OCP opens up an entire transhuman augmentation branch. Murphy volunteers and undergoes the augmentation process, despite objections from his wife/husband (it doesn't matter which, though a husband might be nice to point out that it IS the future and people care less about that kind of stuff.) He is partnered with office Anne Lewis and sent on various high profile crime-busting.

But there is a problem: OCP's drone mastermind whatever, Dick Jones, has sabotaged Morton's plans by modifying the neural uplink for Robocop's brain computer. It's a subtle program - it heightens aggression and suppresses emotions. The movie shows the degradation of Murphy's decision making, culminating in him shooting an unarmed, innocent citizen. Morton is disgraced, Robocop is put on the wanted list, and it seems like Jones has gotten his angle in for total mastery of the marketplace with his drones. The climax of the film has Lewis and Morton (who have teamed up, as Morton has discovered the sabotage) tracking Robocop through some exciting local.

Morton dies in the effort, but they manage to fix the program. Murphy, freed of the emotional suppression, is distraught, but swears that he won't let Dick Jones win. He heads back to the OCP headquarters, blows Jones away, and then vanishes. The end of the movie implies that he has become a vigilante, trying to do his best despite still being hated by the world - a fusion of man and machine, shaped by the world's view of him and his view of himself.

(Rough draft, obviously, but that's the basic idea)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here