Winter's Fail

Pages PREV 1 2

... What the hell did I just read?

Was this movie supposed to be some sort of faux intellectual that people would say "That was so deep and spiritual." because they themselves didn't understand what they saw and didn't want to appear stupid?

Question for you Bob: Have you seen the film Immortel, by Enki Bilal? It's not really similar to this one, but it's another film that, when described, necessitates the phrase "I'm not making this up." Likewise, it's not a good movie per se, but it's so bizarre that it stands out in my mind where numerous other, better, movies have certainly faded from memory.

Plot summary below:

copycatalyst:
Question for you Bob: Have you seen the film Immortel, by Enki Bilal? It's not really similar to this one, but it's another film that, when described, necessitates the phrase "I'm not making this up." Likewise, it's not a good movie per se, but it's so bizarre that it stands out in my mind where numerous other, better, movies have certainly faded from memory.

Plot summary below:

Yep, but Immortel had some glorious imagery, and the kind of universe imagined by the guy is the good kind of "WTF?!". One movie is just some lazy fantasy/religious elements added in a realistic setting, the other goes completely mad, accepts it and shows actual creativity. You should see Delicatessen or The City of Lost Children, made by the guy who did Amélie. It's one hell of the WTF too, and these movies are awesome.

That's the big difference. And, well, Enki Bilal is kinda a legend here in France. All is comics are a WTFLOLOMGBBQ level of crazy, with a universe that is nothing short of glorious madness. So... not surprising he finally managed to get some financing, though IIRC, the film ultimately bombed.

No doubt this will be on Netflix within a few months, whereupon I will watch it. Because.

Drake the Dragonheart:
First that was a hilarious read. But seriously bob: "The things I do for you people." Really? You watched a bad movie. A really bad movie. Of that I have no doubt. What you described might well be one of the worst things ever created by human beings. But are you really going to act like some kind of martyr because you watched an awful, horrible movie? You fell on a sword for all of us on this one?

Barbas:
I can't wait to see what people like Doug Walker make of this movie, although that may be a terrible thing to say - I get the feeling that they die a little inside every time they finish viewing a film like this. What a bizarre, baffling, bumbling, boggling, butt-munching production it sounds like. Boo.

His review of Batman and Robin was literally one of the most hilarious moments of my entire life. I was fearing for my life near the end of such. Yes I was genuinely worried that review was going to make me laugh myself to death. The part where he starts waving the gun around, shouting about "a bat credit card?!!" yeah, could barely breathe after that. So maybe this will spawn a similar video.

This would be going on the belief that whatever he's done after the 'return' of the Nostalgia Critic has been any good. Which it hasn't. (Seriously, me and the boyfriend may have chuckled all of twice throughout the past year of watching his new stuff. The stuff from before, we generally laugh our asses off each episode.)

I'd say to hold out hope for a Nostalgia Chick review, but considering how rarely she puts out a review, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Holy hell.

I got halfway through the second page and had to take a cig break and get some coffee to clear my head.

Still doesn't make any sense.

Rufus Shinra:
One movie is just some lazy fantasy/religious elements added in a realistic setting, the other goes completely mad, accepts it and shows actual creativity.

Yeah, there's definitely a benefit in knowing you're in for something 'out there,' rather than the bait and switch that seems to be the case with Winter's Tale. The local rental place (yeah, guess I'm showing my age here) had a poster for Immortel, and so I got it specifically because it looked wild. And the plot, though fully mad, makes a certain kind of sense too.

Wow... I mean just... wow... That is something all right. I've read through this twice now and still can't get my head round it all.

Someone willingly parted with money to get this made? I would very much like to know the ins and outs of the conversation that lead to this movie getting the green light. If it didn't involve a ton of drugs and/or a gun to someone's head I'd be amazed.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here