Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Review - Death Warmed Over

You know, I would buy this game. I haven't played a Donkey Kong Country game since... Donkey Kong Country... <.<

Never got to play the sequels and always regretted not trying to get my hands on them when I was younger.

Okay Wii U, you have a title I would buy. 4 more and I'll be saving up money for you.

Redlin5:
Okay Wii U, you have a title I would buy. 4 more and I'll be saving up money for you.

If fist-clenching difficulty is what you want, the Wii U has a good lot of games with that. The Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate both introduce many simple mechanics to form a whole that provides a semi-circle of a difficulty curve. New Super Mario Bros U, its Luigi expansion, and Super Mario 3D World have levels of varied difficulty that require running, dodging, and the occasional keen observation for collectables. ZombiU's normal difficulty demands quick item management and thinking as zombies creep up on you or move in packs.

Iwata hasn't mentioned it much, but Wii U games call back to just the kind of difficulty that long-time fans of Donkey Kong Country can enjoy, as well as bringing more variety and novelty than PS4/XbOne offerings.

This game makes no sense; The Simpsons told me gorillas would freeze to death.

So does this mean that DK handles more like he did in DKC than he did in DKCR? Honestly, it was that weighty sense of momentum that I just didn't like in DKCR.

SargeSmash:
So does this mean that DK handles more like he did in DKC than he did in DKCR? Honestly, it was that weighty sense of momentum that I just didn't like in DKCR.

Sounds like the gist of it.

I'll look at getting this once I finish a few other games, haven't played a Donkey Kong game since the SNES so this should be a great time :D

Casual Shinji:
This game makes no sense; The Simpsons told me gorillas would freeze to death.

Exactly why this adventure is so important. Donkey Kong isn't just fighting for his banana horde, he's fighting for his very existence on DK island!

I'll probably pick it up, though I'm worried with how short it might be. Super Mario 3D world was really not that long, even if it was excellent. You could beat it in probably 8 hours.

If I had a Wii U I'd probably get it, I appreciate that they brought DK back but I have to be honest, I'm REALLY disappointed they didn't bring back King K. Rool this time around

I've been playing this game over the last weekend (already release in Japan) and I agree, it's bloody fantastic! If you are sick of hand-holding ez mode games, then this is the game for you!

Every time i read a story like this i find myself torn. I loved the Donkey Kong Country series for the SNES and the WiiU now has a few games i would really like to play. My issue is that i damn well hate that cursed tablet-with-buttons-round-the-side controller, why does Nintendo hate proper controllers?

Please Nintendo, focus on games not gimmicks.

Uninventive?

Have you seen that damn level design? And the Soundtrack? Clearly top level on the history of video-games, I'm not exaggerating.

TallanKhan:
Every time i read a story like this i find myself torn. I loved the Donkey Kong Country series for the SNES and the WiiU now has a few games i would really like to play. My issue is that i damn well hate that cursed tablet-with-buttons-round-the-side controller, why does Nintendo hate proper controllers?

Please Nintendo, focus on games not gimmicks.

Get better taste then, the controller is damn fine. Never been more comfortable playing a home console, just lying on my bed without any tv in my room!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here