LoadingReadyRun: The Whole Story: The Winter Olympics

The Whole Story: The Winter Olympics

The true history of the Winter Olympics may surprise you.

Watch Video

I love these parodies, you get the 'factual programme' style just right. The background music, location, the little clips of "serious research" at the start and Paul comes off as a very believable presenter.

Am I the only one who noticed a person that appears to be studying in that triangular room?

Freestyle Icicle Jousting? I'd watch that. Sounds better than pairs ice dancing anyway.

Oh c'mon, that bear wasn't because of women
Simply russian poachers were not allowed to hunt local bears to avoid pissing off Greenpeace

Ah man, I always love these. What the heck is the process when writing this? Does someone do actual research, then subvert it, or is it all shot from the hip?

yay, another Whole Story!

I'd think it'd be hilarious to see a 'pilot episode' of this, where it's done in that well-known tense and dramatic style you find in most educational films from the 80s.

Video aside, when and why did they decide to combine long-distance skiing and precision rifle shooting?

That war map of Europe is inaccurate. There are far too few arrows on it!

Seracen:
Ah man, I always love these. What the heck is the process when writing this? Does someone do actual research, then subvert it, or is it all shot from the hip?

I'd like to see their photoshopping phase. I liked the map of Europe with all the arrows pointing who's going to war with who (not enough, though) and the statue of the Roman Emperor wearing a wool hat and sweater while flipping the bird.

I always feel so learned after watching these. It is good to meet your daily educational requirement with a single video.

absolutely loved this episode! yet another great one!

absolutely loved this episode! yet another great one!

I think they are just making these to mess with future anthropologists.

kailus13:
Video aside, when and why did they decide to combine long-distance skiing and precision rifle shooting?

I'm pretty sure scandanvian armed forces use skies so it's very likely it has an origin there

Rblade:

kailus13:

I'm pretty sure scandanvian armed forces use skies so it's very likely it has an origin there

My mother used to be an Olympian in Biathlon (aka, skiing with shooting) and when she returned to Australia she taught biathlon to others. The people she taught the most were actually army/navy teams, so I'm fairly certain there are some deep roots in the idea of military skiing. Although, to be fair, anyone can get behind biathlon, it's fun as all hell.

kailus13:

From Wikipedia

History[edit]

This sport has its origins in an exercise for Norwegian people, as an alternative training for the military. One of the world's first known ski clubs, the Trysil Rifle and Ski Club, was formed in Norway in 1861 to promote national defense at the local level.
Called military patrol, the combination of skiing and shooting was contested at the Olympic Winter Games in 1924, and then demonstrated in 1928, 1936, and 1948, but did not regain Olympic recognition then, as the small number of competing countries disagreed on the rules. During the mid-1950s, however, biathlon was introduced into the Soviet and Swedish winter sport circuits and was widely enjoyed by the public. This newfound popularity aided the effort of having biathlon gain entry into the Winter Olympics.
The first World Championship in biathlon was held in 1958 in Austria, and in 1960 the sport was finally included in the Olympic Games. At Albertville in 1992, women were first allowed in Olympic biathlon.
The competitions from 1958 to 1965 used high-power centerfire such as .30-06 Springfield and 7.62x51mm NATO, and so on, before the .22 Long Rifle rimfire cartridge was standardized in 1978. The ammunition was carried in a belt worn around the competitor's waist. The sole event was the men's 20 kilometres (12 mi) individual, encompassing four separate ranges and firing distances of 100 metres (330 ft), 150 metres (490 ft), 200 metres (660 ft), and 250 metres (820 ft). The target distance was reduced to 150 metres (490 ft) with the addition of the relay in 1966. The shooting range was further reduced to 50 metres (160 ft) in 1978 with the mechanical targets making their debut at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

The Gentleman:
Am I the only one who noticed a person that appears to be studying in that triangular room?

That depends. Did you notice the misplaced jacket that mysteriously disappeared?

Please never, never stop doing these. We always need to know The Whole Story!

I hope we someday learn about the origins of waffles.

Susan huh? Well, she must not have been as stunningly beautiful as Helen seeing as we never heard about her causing a city state to be destroyed. We get the Olympics though so I guess she was still decent.

Susan Olympics. That was great.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here