What Has Nintendo Done Right Lately?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

gizmo2300:
If I had to play armchair CEO for Nintendo I'd say the problem lies in the marketing department. In Scandinavia at least, I can't speak for the rest of the world of course, Nintendo is neigh invincible to the casual eye. No newspaper ads, nearly no TV ads, no ads at all really. You want people to talk about your product you have to remind people that you exist.

I think you mean invisible.

144:
I think Yahtzee (and a bunch of forum posters who know who they are) need to revisit Yahtzee's own Gears of War 2 review, and ask if a game needs to blow the world away with innovation to be good.

Didn't he later say in the Gears of War 3 video that he didn't remember a thing from the second apart from the Freudian worm segment?

schmulki:
Eh, half-right. The 3DS is a powerhouse, they understand the handheld market and that's a market they should DEFINITELY focus more on. They've proven 4 generations in a row now, that they just don't get what the gamer want in a home console.

N64 stuck with cartridges, which I personally agreed with (I could never stand Playstation loading times), but the masses disagreed with.
GC had that weird-ass controller with the A button taking up half the controller, tiny buttons around it, and a shoulder button which you had to push down about 2 feet for it to register (which for some reason, Nintendo fans still love to this day). To say it lost to the PS2 and XBOX is an understatement.
Wii grabbed the casuals to buy the system....and then those people never bought another game (the attach rate of games to systems were historically low). They made a ton of money, which certainly helps their current situation, but outside of the diehards, that console sell rate didn't do a ton for them.
And now, the Wii U, which is underpowered as a gaming system and non-existent as anything else, which even given a year head start, is being lapped by the other consoles.

If they were to ditch the home console market, focus on handheld and put home-console-style games on other platforms, I think the majority of people would be doing backflips and lining up in droves to buy the games we've been missing for years now, by not having their platform.

The N64 was immensely successful.
The GameCube is probably my favorite console of all time.
The Wii won last generation in sales.

The WiiU had its problems because Nintendo told third party developers that they were gonna wait a year to release their flagship franchise games, so no real competition from Nintendo for a year on their own console. Few took them up on that. How is that Nintendo's fault, really?

Mcoffey:
The Nintendo Fanboys are out in force today!

It's good to see more people coming around to the idea of Nintendo going third-party. Hope they come to their senses soon. I'm imagining Majora's Mask on Steam, maybe even with mod support, and I'm drooling a little bit...

Coming around?, with all that you wrote you kinda remind me of Senator Armstrong from MGR, what he thought was ideal,just and right but really he had an opinion and well it was wrong and Raiden proved that with action.

Even then they'd lose a massive amount of consumers (quite a few million people that do matter) and trade from one platform exclusivity right into another (with just Steam and just PC), which in the end isn't really fair but from what I'm guessing that's your opinion on not caring what happens to anyone else in the process.

Dark Knifer:

Dead Century:

Dark Knifer:

Everywhere else just seems to have more potential in gaming these days, particularly story. A company that's been around as long as nintendo hasn't even attempted a story really.

Depends what you're into. If you want a story, the 3DS has plenty in the form of JRPGs.

Crimson Shroud
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers

And so on.

Those are all incredibly story heavy games. Might not be your cup of tea, but it's silly to claim Nintendo systems lack titles that have story.

Forgive me on that. I didn't know about them because I'm not big on jrpgs and I also meant as in first party nintendo games have yet to try story, not the systems themselves. I'm sure the consoles have stuff.

I think fire emblem is the only one made by nintendo though I could be wrong.

No worries. Fire Emblem is the only first party title in that list. So yeah, I guess they could improve in that area with other Nintendo IPs. Zelda is very formulaic in its story. The Oracle games do stand out for mixing it up along Majora's Mask. Mario did a bit better in that regard with the RPG titles. Nothing mind-blowing, but Paper Mario always had enjoyable characters.

Saltyk:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would love to play Zelda (though the new one sounds awful) on Playstation. I'm not holding my breath.

Nintendo may go Third Party at some point, but that time is not today. I believe the CEO said a while back that if Nintendo stops making consoles, they will stop being a company. I think that is shortsighted and foolish, however.

I do think Nintendo, as a third party developer, could do a lot of good. And I imagine Sony or Microsoft would love to cut a deal with them to release games on their consoles. But that seems unlikely to happen unless the Wii U continues down it's path of irrelevance.

Will games like X and Super Smash Brothers help? In all likelihood, yes. But I don't think it will outsell PS4, and Xbox One has been selling decently and could certainly overtake the Wii U in time. And even if the Wii U does gain some momentum, I think it comes down to a serious question of whether they will make a console in the next generation. And, if so, what that console will look like.

Now, what I would like, is for Nintendo to get in on Sony's Playstation Now service. It sounds like it will work and having Nintendo games as an added bonus would be something worthwhile. Imagine being able to play some classic SNES games via the service. Maybe if they ever do go third party...

Lazule:

themilo504:
I think that a console war without Nintendo would be a very boring console war, maybe its for the best but I still feel like it would be a huge loss.

Yep. Because the PC would win easily since the Xbox One and the PS4 are basically watered down PCs.

Nintendo needs to become innovative once again for local multiplayer to prevail, otherwise its a farewell to local multiplayer... They got a ton of work to do if you ask me but they keep beating the dead horses instead of coming up with new ideas.

Tiny Brains is on the PS4 and encourages same screen multiplayer as well as online. Admittedly, most AAA games are online encouraging games, but that's a problem with the developers. Not Sony or Microsoft. This is true on PCs, too, though.

Evonisia:
I don't know all the details (don't do enough research into these things), but one anti-consumer method Nintendo adopted is region locking. Sony does it to some extent still, but not so much that you can't have a PS4 in a country which does not sell it. As far as I can tell the Xbox One has no region locking.

Sony does not region lock. At all. The PS Store is done by region, but that's all.

The Xbox One was originally region locked. In fact, I think out of the box, it is region locked still. You have to download a Day One patch that removes that among other things.

Nintendo would never go third party and I wish people will stop saying they will.Nintendo has always done their own thing and that is unlikely to change

Mcoffey:

It's good to see more people coming around to the idea of Nintendo going third-party. Hope they come to their senses soon. I'm imagining Majora's Mask on Steam, maybe even with mod support, and I'm drooling a little bit...

Keep drooling because it's not going to happen.

Hell a big idea that has gone completely over Nintendo's head is Mario with a jet-pack. They had the super-soaker do-dah in Mario Sunshine, combine that with flying around on planetoids and they'd have a license to print money... but nope. Sort of "over" my Nintendo phase, maybe one day I will blossom from my cocoon of a Sony console into a full blown PC Elitist.

If they make that shit (a hell) of a lot cheaper, then I'll throw money at it. For the amount of games it's going to get (for the decent exclusives, like Platinum's fare, it's more of a Platinum console at this stage than a Nintendo console) it's just not worth it in the long run. I spent a proverbial fuck tonne for Australian hardware and the Wii and no less than 5 years later, the thing goes for at least %85 less the original price tag.
I'm not buying a Wii-U for the simple fact that I stopped playing on my Wii for years, I saw no software that intrigued my personal tastes and thus was unstimulated to plug it back in. The last good game was a port of the superior Prime series on the Gamecube.

But they ain't going third party, no much reason they should if only the be the first to do away with console exclusivity bullshit. I'm a console gamer and upon reflection exclusives are all a load of wank, if film studios only let you watch DVD's on certain brands of DVD player we'd say the CEO's have all been replaced by brainless gibbons.

the hidden eagle:
Nintendo would never go third party and I wish people will stop saying they will.Nintendo has always done their own thing and that is unlikely to change

That may very well be true, and unless Nintendo pulls their head out of their ass and changes how they do business, it will be their undoing.

Dead Century:
snip

Its a minor gripe considering nintendo is gameplay first and foremost and that's fine.

I really want them to bounce back with some great games of their own soon, rather then become the terribleness of sega, especially one the wiiu because I don't want the first hd nintendo console to go to waste, especially with that controller could have many nifty things to do. Like a dungeons and dragons role playing game where the tablet is used by the dungeon master and they can craft the story, dungeons etc and being able to withhold information from players by using the tablet has many possibilities.

I do hope nintendo come back swinging sometime soon, maybe after smash bros starts selling consoles.

Big_Willie_Styles:
The N64 was immensely successful.

Well, let's look at the sales data.
N64: 32.93 M
Playstation: 104.25 M

The Playstation sold more consoles in North America (38.94M), than the N64 sold worldwide. Yeah, I wouldn't call that "immensely successful". Now, they may have had some great games on the system, I doubt anyone would deny that. But, if we're looking at sales, I don't think anyone can deny which system sold better.

Big_Willie_Styles:
The GameCube is probably my favorite console of all time.

That's nice. I actually kind of enjoyed the Sega Game Gear. Remember that thing with it's six AA batteries that lasted about 3 hours?

Big_Willie_Styles:
The Wii won last generation in sales.

Well, current sales data doesn't deny that, but it's not like the Wii outsold the competition 2-1. They were very successful in hardware sales last generation, however. That is true. So were Sony and Microsoft. That is also true.

Wii: 100.95M
PS3: 82.48M
360: 81.11M

When one looks at the games sales data, it becomes clear that people only bought Nintendo games on the Wii. With five of the top ten being Wii Sports or Wii Fit related games. Wii Sports itself sold 81.84 million units. The sales figures are pretty impressive mind you.

For comparisons sake, Sony and Microsoft's consoles both had a variety of developers that sold well on their systems. Though, even their top selling games didn't really break 20 million units sold.

But they also show that no new Mario title will be enough to move Wii U systems. Super Mario Bros Wii sold 27.75 Million units and Smash Bros sold 12.05 million units. Since there seems to be no killer app, like Wii Sports, they do need third party support to move their systems.

Say what you will, but these are facts.

Big_Willie_Styles:
The WiiU had its problems because Nintendo told third party developers that they were gonna wait a year to release their flagship franchise games, so no real competition from Nintendo for a year on their own console. Few took them up on that. How is that Nintendo's fault, really?

Because they didn't even try to make their system appealing to developers? I'd say entirely their fault. By all accounts, Sony and Microsoft asked developers what they wanted and worked with them when designing their new consoles. It seems Nintendo designed their own console for Nintendo. I'd compare this to Sega releasing the Dreamcast early, so that the system had no games and generally confusing consumers and developers.

And looking at recent history, I doubt any developer would be smart to develop for the system. The ones that did have done very poorly. Assassin's Creed Black Flag sold .14 million units on Wii U versus 1.31 million on PS4 and .65 million on Xbox One. This is despite the systems currently having similar numbers of units out. No, developers are right to avoid the Wii U. You don't want to hear it, but third party games really don't sell on Nintendo products. That may not have been true in the 90's, but today it is true.

You can check all my data at VGChartz.com, if you wish.
Platform totals are here.
Game sales total can be found here. You can select from the list to filter out the systems.

the hidden eagle:

Saltyk:

SNIP

And I disagreed with you? I said I don't see it happening at this time. But, when I was a kid playing on my Genesis, I don't think anyone would have suggested that Sega would go third party. That was insane! But they did that a long time ago. After a string of failures.

With the exception of the Wii, each and every Nintendo console has sold less than the one before it. By a good 10 million units or more in each case. Their handhelds have generally done well, with the DS being the second highest selling system of all time, but that should not, and can not, be their entire market.

If Nintendo does not turn around the Wii U, does not create a console that sells next generation (assuming they survive that long), and does not go third party, there will simply no longer be a Nintendo. Isn't that a far worse fate?

gizmo2300:
If I had to play armchair CEO for Nintendo I'd say the problem lies in the marketing department. In Scandinavia at least, I can't speak for the rest of the world of course, Nintendo is neigh invisible to the casual eye. No newspaper ads, nearly no TV ads, no ads at all really. You want people to talk about your product you have to remind people that you exist.

That's the case here in the States, as well. I think they did get too cocky and put too much faith in word-of-mouth.

Lack of marketing can make giants invisible.

144:
I think Yahtzee (and a bunch of forum posters who know who they are) need to revisit Yahtzee's own Gears of War 2 review, and ask if a game needs to blow the world away with innovation to be good.

Found it! He did touch again on Gears of War 2 during his review of the third instalment.

I remember being kind to Gears of War 2 but I honestly can't remember why. I think at the time I was trying to meet it halfway, on the assumption that the waist-deep pool of scummy brown water shooters had devolved into was something I was going to have to live with.

To elaborate, I can't remember much about Gears of War 2 at all, despite playing it through to the end. I remember a bit carrying a box, and a bit where you go inside a giant worm, which probably still wins the prize for most Freudian moment in the entire series and that's saying a lot, considering the main characters ongoing chainsaw vasectomy side-clinic business. But I couldn't tell you how it fitted into the alpha male, tyre swing, cock slapper looser.

But in final analysis a game can't be good if the moment you put it down your brain balls up everything to do with it and tosses it into your mental junk drawer, so that everything I remember a year on is so much brown noise. A big sweating blurred together lump of head scarves and steroids.

Also eating 14 slices of pizza in under two hours isn't the smarted thing to do no matter how hungry you are.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

144:

Found it! He did touch again on Gears of War 2 during his review of the third instalment.

I remember being kind to Gears of War 2 but I honestly can't remember why. I think at the time I was trying to meet it halfway, on the assumption that the waist-deep pool of scummy brown water shooters had devolved into was something I was going to have to live with.

To elaborate, I can't remember much about Gears of War 2 at all, despite playing it through to the end. I remember a bit carrying a box, and a bit where you go inside a giant worm, which probably still wins the prize for most Freudian moment in the entire series and that's saying a lot, considering the main characters ongoing chainsaw vasectomy side-clinic business. But I couldn't tell you how it fitted into the alpha male, tyre swing, cock slapper looser.

But in final analysis a game can't be good if the moment you put it down your brain balls up everything to do with it and tosses it into your mental junk drawer, so that everything I remember a year on is so much brown noise. A big sweating blurred together lump of head scarves and steroids.

Also eating 14 slices of pizza in under two hours isn't the smarted thing to do no matter how hungry you are.

Thanks for finding that. Right. He says they all blur together. But I wonder, in the context of itself, i.e., if Yahtzee wasn't forced to always play shooters, would GoW be more memorable to him? I wouldn't know. I should play it. I don't finish a videogame a week, or even close, and all the Zeldas are unique experiences that vary like night and day. To him, it's a blur of green character and pink princess. On a another note, innovation is something that AAA's usually attempt through new IP's, rather than their most reliable licenses, lest they hurt their safety nets.

Despite starting out as a Nintendo fan boy, many moons ago, I have now reached the point where I would be quite happy to see the next Zelda console release on Xbox and Playstation, even PC. It's telling that the only reason I even own a Wii is to play my collection of Zeldas.

On hindsight, Nintendo really isn't good at doing other than games. Remember when they made TV shows and movies?

"I think the conclusion we reached is that Nintendo as a dedicated creator of games hardware are losing their footing in a world where gaming preference leans more and more towards multi-function devices"

So the 3DS which has sold 40 million units in less than 3 years is loosing their footing?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds Average review "91". Yep, A Link Between Worlds is nothing but bad nostalgia right? It could not possibly be a good game......

In 2013, Nintendo sold the most hardware globally, they also sold the most software globally, they also had the highest reviewed games, and generally were named publisher of the year by many major publications.

I am not sure what more people want of them.

Stealth:

I am not sure what more people want of them.

I just want them to have games I want to play. I like everything else about nintendo, especially the fact that they still design consoles to be played by groups, in the same room. I'll get a WiiU as soon as it gets a couple of games I need to play; a Dawn of War, a Fallout, a GTA, or they could surprise me with something new and interesting like an RPG with a dungeon master & players.
But honestly, considering I need to have a pc anyway, I'm closer to buying the WiiU than I am to buying a ps4 or xbone.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Mcoffey:

Coming around?, with all that you wrote you kinda remind me of Senator Armstrong from MGR, what he thought was ideal,just and right but really he had an opinion and well it was wrong and Raiden proved that with action.

Even then they'd lose a massive amount of consumers (quite a few million people that do matter) and trade from one platform exclusivity right into another (with just Steam and just PC), which in the end isn't really fair but from what I'm guessing that's your opinion on not caring what happens to anyone else in the process.

Spoilers son! I haven't played MGR yet.
I dont think they'd lose as many as you think they will. And even if they did, considering the Steam user base is significantly larger than the WiiU user base they'd probably get those numbers back quickly, if their work was up to snuff. Plus there's the other consoles too. No need for exclusivity, the more people who get to enjoy the better, Steam's just my preferred distribution platform.

the hidden eagle:

Mcoffey:

Keep drooling because it's not going to happen.

A man can dream. We've already seen people mod Majora's Mask roms to some fairly impressive results (Considering how difficult it probably was). I'd be pretty excited to see what they could do with the kind of tools Bethesda typically offers.

Riverwolf:
Snip

And while you have edited your post, I don't mind clarifying that I was not referring to dissenting opinions, but more the people who seem to be acting like Nintendo is a close personal friend of theirs that Yahtzee is mugging. There's just no need for hurling insults at a guy who is simply expressing a disagreeing opinion, right?

Mcoffey:

I dont think they'd lose as many as you think they will. And even if they did, considering the Steam user base is significantly larger than the WiiU user base they'd probably get those numbers back quickly, if their work was up to snuff. Plus there's the other consoles too. No need for exclusivity, the more people who get to enjoy the better, Steam's just my preferred distribution platform.

There's not much to spoil when you're against a candidate for presidential election who uses nanomachines cheaply.

Also the games been out since last for over a year no and on Steam itself since Jan.

You're also heavily implying Nintendo will simply forget about their promise of not going third party, that they'll drop the 6 million Wii U owners at the drop of a hat to pander to another crowd and without thinking it will negatively hurt them and their image in the process.

But then again it's not like them Steam users give a flipping fuck for anyone but themselves, thus proving how incredibly selfish some gamers can be.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Mcoffey:

There's not much to spoil when you're against a candidate for presidential election who uses nanomachines cheaply.

Also the games been out since last for over a year no and on Steam itself since Jan.

You're also heavily implying Nintendo will simply forget about their promise of not going third party, that they'll drop the 6 million Wii U owners at the drop of a hat to pander to another crowd and without thinking it will negatively hurt them and their image in the process.

But then again it's not like them Steam users give a flipping fuck for anyone but themselves, thus proving how incredibly selfish some gamers can be.

Nintendo had no problem abandoning audiences before when a different one is willing to pay more money for less work, as we saw with the Wii. They're used to it. And that's good! A business should go where the money is, which, in this case, is far away from the WiiU.

I don't know why you're talking about Steam users as if I'm all of them (You know I'm not, right?). And despite that what I'd like would be bringing more games to more people, I'm selfish? It's okay, I am. Being selfish about something you're spending money on is a good thing. Except charity, I guess. Nintendo isn't a charity, they want my money so I get to be a little selfish. I don't care about Nintendo because they're a company that I have no personal stake in (And neither do you, probably).

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Mcoffey:

Nintendo had no problem abandoning audiences before when a different one is willing to pay more money for less work, as we saw with the Wii. They're used to it. And that's good! A business should go where the money is, which, in this case, is far away from the WiiU.

I don't know why you're talking about Steam users as if I'm all of them (You know I'm not, right?). And despite that what I'd like would be bringing more games to more people, I'm selfish? It's okay, I am. Being selfish about something you're spending money on is a good thing. Except charity, I guess. Nintendo isn't a charity, they want my money so I get to be a little selfish. I don't care about Nintendo because they're a company that I have no personal stake in (And neither do you, probably).

I'll never understand people who clearly never cared nor wanted to support a company yet want and desire them to change because they want them to.

I never said you were all of Steam, in fact I've just been on the Steam forums to check that good old "PC vs consoles" "valve vs origin" threads to find that indeed nothing has changed, people on there still think exactly the same.

I really cannot imagine you taking it really well if suddenly your favourite hardware manufacturer or supported product suddenly got the shaft or you getting completely shafted for someone else (by someone else I mean other people just in case you didn't get that like my last implication), if you do then congrats you're incredibly laid back and are willing to get stepped on when getting the shaft, can't exactly tell all of us to just chillax and say "that's business", in fact you'd end up pissing off a good chunk of the world if you said that every time something shitty happened for bad reasons.

The last thing I'd want like others is to buy s Wii U, get the shaft and people on Steam getting rewarded for not moving a bloody inch and actually supporting Nintendo in the first place, that's what I heavily dislike, people not doing anything and wanting everything to come to them while original supporters get the shaft.

Figure I might as well toss my two cents in here. Now, the newest Nintendo game I've played was Brawl, and probably Melee before that. What I'm saying is that I don't care about Nintendo and Nintendo sure as hell doesn't seem to care about me. I'm not invested in Nintendo's big IPs, nor the other exclusives it tosses for its system. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 (whenever that'll be) or anything else don't really do anything for me. So why should I care about them? As an outside spectator, I'm genuinely baffled with how defensive Nintendo supporters are.

Shadow-Phoenix:

I'll never understand people who clearly never cared nor wanted to support a company yet want and desire them to change because they want them to.

I never said you were all of Steam, in fact I've just been on the Steam forums to check that good old "PC vs consoles" "valve vs origin" threads to find that indeed nothing has changed, people on there still think exactly the same.

I really cannot imagine you taking it really well if suddenly your favourite hardware manufacturer or supported product suddenly got the shaft or you getting completely shafted for someone else (by someone else I mean other people just in case you didn't get that like my last implication), if you do then congrats you're incredibly laid back and are willing to get stepped on when getting the shaft, can't exactly tell all of us to just chillax and say "that's business", in fact you'd end up pissing off a good chunk of the world if you said that every time something shitty happened for bad reasons.

The last thing I'd want like others is to buy s Wii U, get the shaft and people on Steam getting rewarded for not moving a bloody inch and actually supporting Nintendo in the first place, that's what I heavily dislike, people not doing anything and wanting everything to come to them while original supporters get the shaft.

Why would I support them when they make bad decisions like the WiiU? I'd be more than happy to jump back on board if they went multi-plat.

And I probably wouldn't take it well, no, but I'd at least understand if they were bleeding money like Nintendo is. They'd piss some people off, but they'd be a few faint cries in the wind compared to the much larger group of people excited to play Zelda or Mario on a platform that's relevant. All five of you may have supported them recently, sure. You just didn't support them very well, again considering their money loss.

Actually, I take it back. The best kind of support you can give is to show when a person (Or company, in this case) is doing something stupid. Like the WiiU. Good job guys!

Mcoffey:

but I'd at least understand if they were bleeding money like Nintendo is.

Still allowing them to step on you regardless.

Mcoffey:

They'd piss some people off, but they'd be a few faint cries in the wind compared to the much larger group of people excited to play Zelda or Mario on a platform that's relevant.

Again fuck those other people logic, relevancy is somehow now dictated by those on Steam now I';d guess, does that mean all of you guys are now in control of all gaming as it is? (obvious question with an obvious answer and I already know it but I just want to see for shits and giggles)

Mcoffey:

All five of you may have supported them recently, sure. You just didn't support them very well, again considering their money loss.

That's nice of you to summarise 6 million into 5 people like some sort of an insult (I've seen that thrown aroun d alot recently and it's not funny, even if being serious, it's just not), I'm not even a Wii U owner yet I'm magically included as one of those 5 people in the entire world!.

IrisNetwork:
On hindsight, Nintendo really isn't good at doing other than games. Remember when they made TV shows and movies?

Nintendo contracted DIC Entertainment to produce that on the cheap. Nintendo approved it, but they didn't produce it.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Mcoffey:

but I'd at least understand if they were bleeding money like Nintendo is.

Still allowing them to step on you regardless.

It's a business. Sometimes businesses do things I don't like for justifiable reasons. Live and learn.

Mcoffey:

They'd piss some people off, but they'd be a few faint cries in the wind compared to the much larger group of people excited to play Zelda or Mario on a platform that's relevant.

Again fuck those other people logic, relevancy is somehow now dictated by those on Steam now I';d guess, does that mean all of you guys are now in control of all gaming as it is? (obvious question with an obvious answer and I already know it but I just want to see for shits and giggles)

You really seem to be stuck on Steam. You've mentioned them way more than I have. I would be fine seeing Nintendo games on a plethora of systems. Xbox, Playstation, Steam, Android, etc. It's all good!

Mcoffey:

All five of you may have supported them recently, sure. You just didn't support them very well, again considering their money loss.

That's nice of you to summarise 6 million into 5 people like some sort of an insult (I've seen that thrown aroun d alot recently and it's not funny, even if being serious, it's just not), I'm not even a Wii U owner yet I'm magically included as one of those 5 people in the entire world!.

I guess I figured you were either WiiU owner or John Nintendo to be taking this as personally as you are.

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Why would I support them when they make bad decisions like the WiiU? I'd be more than happy to jump back on board if they went multi-plat.

And I probably wouldn't take it well, no, but I'd at least understand if they were bleeding money like Nintendo is. They'd piss some people off, but they'd be a few faint cries in the wind compared to the much larger group of people excited to play Zelda or Mario on a platform that's relevant. All five of you may have supported them recently, sure. You just didn't support them very well, again considering their money loss.

Actually, I take it back. The best kind of support you can give is to show when a person (Or company, in this case) is doing something stupid. Like the WiiU. Good job guys!

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

So you don't support the company unless they go multiplat?What if they don't want to do that?Also you severely underestimate the numbers of Nintendo's fanbase and continue to spread the myth that the company is doing worse financially.

If there's one thing I've learned from people who constantly demand Nintendo to go third party it's that they don't care about the costs Nintendo would have to deal with just to satisfy them.They don't care that Nintendo would have to pay royalties to both Sony and Microsoft in order to develop games on their consoles.They don't give a fuck about the game's quality because all that matters to them is that Nintendo bend themselves over just to cater to those who are part of the "it's all about me" crowd.

You want to play Mario and Zelda?Then buy the console those games are released on.

the hidden eagle:
So you don't support the company unless they go multiplat?What if they don't want to do that?Also you severely underestimate the numbers of Nintendo's fanbase and continue to spread the myth that the company is doing worse financially.

If there's one thing I've learned from people who constantly demand Nintendo to go third party it's that they don't care about the costs Nintendo would have to deal with just to satisfy them.They don't care that Nintendo would have to pay royalties to both Sony and Microsoft in order to develop games on their consoles.They don't give a fuck about the game's quality because all that matters to them is that Nintendo bend themselves over just to cater to those who are part of the "it's all about me" crowd.

You want to play Mario and Zelda?Then buy the console those games are released on.

I don't support a company that makes what I feel to be chronic bad decisions. A company doesn't have to be multiplat, of course, but, if Nintendo did it, it would be the first good decision in years.

You're right. I truly don't care about the costs. I give exactly as many fucks about Nintendo as I do EA or Ubisoft (Who also pay royalties to Microsoft and Sony, but still seem to be doing pretty well for themselves). You shouldn't care about a company that you have no stake in because they don't care about you. They make a product. You pay them if you like it. That is the extent of your relationship to them. And if they want my money, then yeah, it is all about me.

I'd like to play Zelda or Metroid (Not a big Mario guy), but I don't need to. Certainly not enough to buy something like the WiiU.

Eri:

schmulki:
The 3DS is a powerhouse

Wat

Seriously though. The 3DS is literally the opposite of the words you just said. What is the Vita considered if the 3DS is a powerhouse?

HAL from 2001.

Mcoffey:

the hidden eagle:

I don't support a company that makes what I feel to be chronic bad decisions. A company doesn't have to be multiplat, of course, but, if Nintendo did it, it would be the first good decision in years.

You're right. I truly don't care about the costs. I give exactly as many fucks about Nintendo as I do EA or Ubisoft (Who also pay royalties to Microsoft and Sony, but still seem to be doing pretty well for themselves). You shouldn't care about a company that you have no stake in because they don't care about you. They make a product. You pay them if you like it. That is the extent of your relationship to them. And if they want my money, then yeah, it is all about me.

I'd like to play Zelda or Metroid (Not a big Mario guy), but I don't need to. Certainly not enough to buy something like the WiiU.

Just because you have money does'nt mean a company has to bend over for you.Since Nintendo is one of the big 3 Sony and Microsoft would make damn sure they take the lion's share of profits so it would hurt the company's bottom line in the long run.

I care about companies that make quality products and I will support them in anyway I can.I will always be against Nintendo going third party because I believe that will effect the quality of their games.

LordTerminal:
Yeah going the 3rd Party route certainly worked for SEGA now didn't it?
/sarcasm. No Yahtzee, wake the fuck up and face the facts that going 3rd Party has actually hurt SEGA lately more than helped. Just look at what their recent agenda has given us.

Mixed bag games is what Sega's given us. That's a result of them not giving level design, control and general game mechanics care and attentio-

THAT'S MALSTROM TALK AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT!

Wow, way to indignation, Howard Beale. There's no correlation between being a 3rd party developer and making good games. Sega knew that people loved Generations' 2D Sonic levels, and yet, they insisted on not bringing back Classic Sonic, because... there is no because. Here they had Generations' 2D engine, something they could obviously build off of, something they could just make level packs for released as often as Madden games, and they knew the fans would've bought each and every single one. And they did jack fuck with it. Whatever reasoning behind this is what's behind Sega going crap. Not going 3rd party.

Since then, though, it's been pretty much solid bad nostalgia all the way, hasn't it. Everything's a step backwards, now. To the point that Nintendo has officially regressed back to making SNES games.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/11018-What-Has-Nintendo-Done-Right-Lately.2#q5AVyDMToeJfm26E.99

1. Only for Mario.

lol.

you tell Nintendo to make Zelda open world then complain because of one other gameplay thing that they put in. You're never explicitly premise and in-depth with your suggestions and that's why Nintendo shouldn't listen to you people. YOU. DON'T. KNOW. WHAT. YOU. WANT!

Wrong again. He wants Wind Waker-style open world. It doesn't have to be on some Great Sea, but it should, at the very least, make you want to discover and explore. Wind Waker's Great Sea map also gave you a sense of organization in the discovery, too. Thing is, Rupees were a thing in Wind Waker, but they weren't the only thing to collect, unlike A Link Between Worlds. I do wonder how you reacted to his statement of "Wind Waker is good." in his Wind Waker HD review. He also wants Nintendo to be so daring as to put personality back into its characters. Each and every citizen of Windfall Island had their own distinct style and personality, you could easily distinguish each and every citizen. And then there's Tetra. Tetra had something that no other Zelda had before: attitude. She was fearless, she was commanding, she didn't take anyone being stupid with her. I loved when I saw her meet Link for the first time, because it didn't feel like some meeting of fate. She even brushed him off. It was positively refreshing. She even has that trademark wink, a charming representation of her relationship between her and Link that, again, I've never seen again in a Zelda game. I don't know the fine details of what Yahtzee wants, but I sure as hell want character, charm, and maybe even self-directed comedy back into the series again. It's amazing how he doesn't address the character and charm of the characters in his Skyward Sword review...

I refuse to accept any notion that Link Between Worlds represents any kind of forward movement from something like, say, Wind Waker. Or even Ocarina of Time, to be more 3DS-relevant. Those were good nostalgia games that took the Zelda model and elevated it into a stirring adventure across the lands, with pleasing graphics, spectacular views and sweeping, epic music. Going back to squeaky top-down grid gameplay is the exact opposite of an elevation
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/11018-What-Has-Nintendo-Done-Right-Lately.2#q5AVyDMToeJfm26E.99

And people wonder why I beat on my drum about Yahtzee being biased. That's because you're a pretentious cynic who can't be happy with anything. First of all, just because it's top-down, doesn't mean there is free movement. Zelda 1 was more grid based than this.

The correct argument to be made here was "but the Wind Waker had a grid-based map, and an entirely on-land overworld can be just as rewarding in its exploration than disjointed islands."

And second, are you implying LBW doesn't have epic music? Sounds you need a hearing aid old man.

For the record, I personally think the Milk Bar is FTW.

Except you have to get the money to get them in the first place and farming is a lot harder to pull off this time so this criticism isn't very valid.

Fact: I had over 2000 Rupees by the time I got to Lorule, for all the silver Rupees I found through the "puzzle rooms." This counter-point isn't very valid.

Death Mountain says otherwise. I've died at least three times early on because the enemies there do too much damage.

Then whose fault is it they rushed into the Lynels (whose attacks are easily dodge-able) and got themselves killed? Dying repeatedly to them doesn't denote difficulty, it denotes your inability to realize that you don't need to kill all the enemies you find on the overworld.

I thought this was going to be on what Nintendo has done right recently.
Yahtzee, I get it: you hate Nintendo. I'm hardly a Nintendo fan myself but you've been beating this drum for a [i]long]/i] time now.

the hidden eagle:
Just because you have money does'nt mean a company has to bend over for you.

And their console isn't selling because of that attitude. And their stock is i ntrouble, and their profits faltering for the first time ever, and their investors angry.

Do you really support cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Since Nintendo is one of the big 3 Sony and Microsoft would make damn sure they take the lion's share of profits so it would hurt the company's bottom line in the long run.

Both of those companies have benefited from backing off bad ideas and listening to consumer response.

I care about companies that make quality products and I will support them in anyway I can.

I thought we were talking about Nintendo.

Misterian:
I'm personally not worried about what's going on with Nintendo lately, they've had their slip-ups in the past, sure, but they always eventually bounced back on their feet.

Besides, has Nintendo ever tried to shove DRM down our throats?

Oh, you mean like region locking?

Has Nintendo taken up using anti-consumer methods?

Oh, you mean like region locking?

Did Nintendo ever try to kill the used game market?

They try to kill youtube videos about their games instead.

Did Nintendo ever try to shun backwards compatibility?

Region locking hurts it.

Mcoffey:

Riverwolf:
Snip

And while you have edited your post,

Curses. Wasn't fast enough. :P

I don't mind clarifying that I was not referring to dissenting opinions, but more the people who seem to be acting like Nintendo is a close personal friend of theirs that Yahtzee is mugging. There's just no need for hurling insults at a guy who is simply expressing a disagreeing opinion, right?

Of course not, and that's why I edited my post. I realized that you weren't talking about myself or others who respectfully disagreed.

The one Zero Punctuation episode that I don't rewatch is the one where he refers to both Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time as pieces of ****, at least compared to Super Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess, respectively. Now, while I'm sure he was at least partially joking, those games are kind of sacred cows for me (and I thought SMS was awful), so the joke unfortunately hurts. But I don't get mad at Yahtzee for it; rather I don't watch that episode.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here