What Has Nintendo Done Right Lately?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

My favorite part of this chronic discussion about the wii u sucking is when people claim the future is all about multifunctionality and the wiiu misses that, all of which I'm reading and responding to on the wiiu gamepad while the same machine streams hd anime from the internet directly to my tv.

I only have 3 games for it and already regret nothing because this one machine has totally reshaped my lounging. I use it as my current game console, my internet tablet for the living room, my tv remote control, my video stream machine... hell, I've even looked up recipes and carried the controller with me to make dinner. If they'd just let the thing play media off of dvds and usb drives, I'd never need to plug anything else into the tv.

The games will come and people will buy the console. In the mean time, I'll just keep enjoying my perfect relaxation machine.

P.S. While playing magical card games, my friend and I for a bit just set the wiiu to stream twitchplayspokemon for us. If that's not completing my living room experience, what is?

Ed130 The Vanguard:

LordTerminal:

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Yes the WiiU beat two ageing consoles at the end of their production run who had their successors waiting in the wings, well done Nintendo. slow clap That's like beating two geriatrics in a 100m sprint in which you proceed to faceplant every ten metres or so.

And then the PS4 dropped in and bettered the WiiU numbers in less than four months. And that's with the PS4 yet to release in Japan, a major Sony stronghold.

If you meant handhelds only then yes Nintendo moved the most stock.

As for 'highest reviewed' that don't mean diddly, sales is what keeps a corporation afloat.

Because consumers like you are buying into ignorant hype. The PS4 WiiU currently has very little to justify buying it. Hardly any exclusives and all of it's 3rd Party support is also being released on the PS3 or the PC. There is no reason whatsoever to buy it and I hate that Sony Nintendo gets that kind of money despite this. is making no profit from it.

FIFY. ALso, I'm a PC Gamer only.

The same criticisms you level at Sony can also be levelled against the WiiU, as most Nintendo releases have been at best rehashes of previous titles with very few actual 'new' games like Wonderful 101 and what third party exclusives it did get were either failures or were released onto other platforms.

Also, sales may keep a corporation running but they don't denote quality and Sony has only shown me so far that they don't provide enough quality to justify those 4 months' sales. Proving that consumers and gamers today are getting dumber.

Now that's where third party sales come in, lets face it the Sony launch titles were bunk for the most part but people are banking on third party support. Combine that with the PS4's superior performance its becoming a good investment for future gaming, something which the WiiU isn't looking to be.

That's utterly ignorant because practically every 3rd Party title I looked up for the PS4 is also being released on PC or PS3. So to hell with that damn "superior performance" if it's going to be wasted on games that I can already get on the previous generation console w/o having to blow $400?

Oh and speaking of that performance. If it's so superior, why am I hearing talk of some people's PS4s breaking down on them?

LordTerminal:

That's utterly ignorant because practically every 3rd Party title I looked up for the PS4 is also being released on PC or PS3. So to hell with that damn "superior performance" if it's going to be wasted on games that I can already get on the previous generation console w/o having to blow $400?

Oh and speaking of that performance. If it's so superior, why am I hearing talk of some people's PS4s breaking down on them?

The same reason why people are still not playing on the original Playstation, new games shifting towards the newer platform and abandoning the old combined the the belief that the PC is too complex and every other excuse that gets screencaped and shown on the PCmasterrace subreddit for others to laugh at.

Apart from those failures there really hasn't been much of a widespread failure of the next generation of consoles. When the PS4s went blue people (and the media) started exclaiming "Oh Noes! Its RROD MK2!" Of course then the rest of the consoles didn't fail like the 360 and the whole thing has seemingly been forgotten. Which is pretty much par for the course for some sensationalist titles.

I again point out that people are buying the PS4 expecting future titles will be released and that PS3/360 versions of games won't be made forever. I for one wouldn't be on having the next CoD on them for starters.

LordTerminal:

They're currently released on older platforms because most big budget games can't currently afford to release on a console with an install base as small as the PS4 or Xbox One. They generally look far, far better on the newer consoles though. Once the new consoles have larger install bases, they're pretty quickly going to stop bothering with the PS3 and 360. PC will always get them but the PC exists in a different world and there will always be plenty of games that don't make it to PC.

Superior performance has nothing to do with hardware reliability. I've heard nothing about these PS4 breakdowns but assuming it's true, that doesn't mean the actual game performance is any worse. The most powerful computer in the world can still break if it overheats.

I agree with Yahtzee about Nintendo on this point, they do seem to be regressing back into SNES-era 2D games which can be fun but they're a side-order at best and something that indie devs are already throwing at us for much less. It's even worse when you consider that Nintendo are the ones who figured out how to do 3D platforming so well in the first place. It's pretty telling how stagnant Nintendo have become when you look at the tiny number of new character's introduced to Smash Bros in the latest instalment. Even then, most of the old favourites aren't getting much love. We've still got plenty of Mario but other than that there's the infrequent Zelda release and that seems to be about it. No Starfox, Earthbound, F-Zero or Metroid.

From where I see it, Nintendo had an easy time last gen and managed to rake in tons of cash from dirt-cheap, low-quality "Wii [whatever]" games and peripherals and now that the extreme casuals have gotten tired of that, they're going to need to get down and work again. The Wii U is the cheapest of the 3 consoles, even if it doesn't get as many big games I'd still be happy to play it for high-quality Nintendo goodness. Stuff of the quality of Nintendo's Gamecube games could at least help them not flop completely. Get a few Japanese studios to help out too, they've traditionally been the strongest supporters imo.

C14N:

LordTerminal:

They're currently released on older platforms because most big budget games can't currently afford to release on a console with an install base as small as the PS4 or Xbox One. They generally look far, far better on the newer consoles though. Once the new consoles have larger install bases, they're pretty quickly going to stop bothering with the PS3 and 360. PC will always get them but the PC exists in a different world and there will always be plenty of games that don't make it to PC.

I see barely any difference in graphics between the two versions so these arguments of hardware superiority don't fly for me when I have yet to see any evidence.

I agree with Yahtzee about Nintendo on this point, they do seem to be regressing back into SNES-era 2D games which can be fun but they're a side-order at best and something that indie devs are already throwing at us for much less.

They've only made two so far to my knowledge: Link Between Worlds and the upcoming Yoshi's New Island. What's this nonsense that they're regressing back into SNES-era 2D games when they've only made two so far?

It's even worse when you consider that Nintendo are the ones who figured out how to do 3D platforming so well in the first place. It's pretty telling how stagnant Nintendo have become when you look at the tiny number of new character's introduced to Smash Bros in the latest instalment.

You can't assume we've seen every newcomer yet when Smash Bros. doesn't even have a release date. So that argument is unfounded.

Even then, most of the old favourites aren't getting much love. We've still got plenty of Mario but other than that there's the infrequent Zelda release and that seems to be about it. No Starfox, Earthbound, F-Zero or Metroid.

You lost me at Earthbound. Creator Shigesato Itoi has stated that the Earthbound franchise is DONE! Completed! Even Mother 3's story made it clear that there was no way you continue the story at that point. Even if Nintendo hires another person or company to make a Mother 4, you're pretty much leaving that up to chance since the one(s) who make it might not understand the source material at all.

You want Nintendo to do something other than Mario and Zelda? I'll say the same thing I always say: Next time Nintendo releases a game that's not part of another IP, BUY IT! People complain that Nintendo doesn't make any new IPs but when they actually do, they don't bother to buy them because of other stupid reasons. Or do you want to tell me why Wonderful 101 bombed?

LordTerminal:
They've only made two so far to my knowledge: Link Between Worlds and the upcoming Yoshi's New Island. What's this nonsense that they're regressing back into SNES-era 2D games when they've only made two so far?

No they haven't. They've also released New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U (as well as a standalone New Super Luigi U expansion), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

LordTerminal:
You can't assume we've seen every newcomer yet when Smash Bros. doesn't even have a release date. So that argument is unfounded.

Wikipedia had it listed as a 2014 release so in my mind that was probably going to mean November or December.

LordTerminal:
You lost me at Earthbound. Creator Shigesato Itoi has stated that the Earthbound franchise is DONE! Completed! Even Mother 3's story made it clear that there was no way you continue the story at that point.

Okay, so what about the other franchises?

LordTerminal:
You want Nintendo to do something other than Mario and Zelda? I'll say the same thing I always say: Next time Nintendo releases a game that's not part of another IP, BUY IT! People complain that Nintendo doesn't make any new IPs but when they actually do, they don't bother to buy them because of other stupid reasons. Or do you want to tell me why Wonderful 101 bombed?

I don't have a Wii U yet but if they start doing that I will buy one straight away. Wonderful 101 wasn't made by Nintendo though, it was made by Platinum. It also didn't exactly kill it in the critical acclaim department which is never good for sales in this industry. Coupled with the fact that the Wii U as a console isn't doing so hot right now and it's not that surprising that it bombed.

C14N:

LordTerminal:

No they haven't. They've also released New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U (as well as a standalone New Super Luigi U expansion), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

New Super Mario Bros. isn't a SNES-era 2D game, it's more a modern take on old-school Mario meant to capitalize on the nostalgia crowd.

As for the rest, Kirby has never really left 2D and considering how mixed DK64 was, it's no surprise DK went back to 2D but they aren't SNES era 2D. That's like saying anything 2D is trying to emulate the NES or SNES era. That's kinda stupid.

And what about all of the 3D games Nintendo made during the last generation that you failed to acknowledge.

Wikipedia had it listed as a 2014 release so in my mind that was probably going to mean November or December.

That doesn't mean we've seen the entire roster yet. We don't even have all of the original 12 that've been part of Smash since 64 revealed/confirmed yet! I know Sakurai said don't expect many new characters (seeing as he's making two versions at once and given that we had 15 newcomers last game...) but I think at least 7 or 8 isn't too much. 2014 could mean anything. Hell for all we know it might get pushed back like the last two games he's made.

LordTerminal:
You lost me at Earthbound. Creator Shigesato Itoi has stated that the Earthbound franchise is DONE! Completed! Even Mother 3's story made it clear that there was no way you continue the story at that point.

Okay, so what about the other franchises?

F-Zero likely couldn't work w/ the Wii's controls and Nintendo's gone on to say they're not sure how much farther the series can go, Star Fox needed a break after 2 GameCube games that people bash too much for stupid reasons and 1 DS game that sucked, HARD, and I'm pretty sure Reggie hinted at a new Metroid before, plus do you really want another one after Other M came out and you people all wanted to burn Nintendo at the stake for it?

I don't have a Wii U yet but if they start doing that I will buy one straight away. Wonderful 101 wasn't made by Nintendo though, it was made by Platinum. It also didn't exactly kill it in the critical acclaim department which is never good for sales in this industry. Coupled with the fact that the Wii U as a console isn't doing so hot right now and it's not that surprising that it bombed.

W101 was still published and funded by Nintendo and has their logo on it alongside the Platinum Games logo. Besides that's one example. No one bought the sequel to Sin & Punishment on the Wii, (which pisses me off) no one seems to care about Pikmin, (outside of Japan I'm guessing) and can you name one person that talks about Custom Robo much?

Also, this is why I listen to more than just the mainstream critics when it comes to games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here