Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Storyteller's Curse

The Storyteller's Curse

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Why don't the credits mention Yahtzee's backup poet? Sure, he didn't say much, but his timing was impeccable.

Yes Game Publishers are a storyteller's biggest curse.

That lamp in the background at Jim's looks like Johnny Number 5.
LOL

Could you make the dog do the poem next time, jim?
That one is bloody adorable :)

I thought Jim was specifically talking about The Order at first (the devs have apparently been working on the lore and world since 2006, but the gameplay seems to be little more than a TPS with QTEs). The modern war and multiplayer stuff seems to contradict that though.

Good stuff!

FightingFurball:
Could you make the dog do the poem next time, jim?
That one is bloody adorable :)

All Hail Bartleby (?), Hound of Jim! All Hail, All Hail!

Yahtzee's poem had me in stitches; especially the sock puppet he used as a backup singer. XD

I enjoyed yours as well, Jim. The ending almost made me want to track down a pack of fuckwits from marketing and castrate them with a rusty olive fork... until your dog popped into the video. Then I suddenly felt much better. ^_^ Nothing like a shot of a cute pet to take the edge off.

Oh look at the widdle doggie, pat his head and call him Chips.

Anyway, decent poems, and I loved Yahtzee's poetry companion.

I really like Yahtzee poetry this week. Thank you, Mr. Croshaw.

Please, either stop singing or try harder!

Steve2911:
I thought Jim was specifically talking about The Order at first

I thought he was talking about Final Fantasy until he turned it around into bringing up shooters.

Sounded very much like it could have gone into a diatribe about the saga of Lightning, or Final Fantasy XV.

Stop? Bartleby would really prefer not to. :)

Yahtzee's was good, but I'm left wondering if the sock puppet will be a regular thing.

And Mr. Sterling's poem was... tragic. I mean, it's a great poem, but the subject is a tragic tale. people wonder if games really are an art form, and it sure doesn't feel like it when we hear stories of great games dropping their creative spark in favor of guns guns guns, or when people are told outright that a main character cannot under any circumstance be a female.

YAY! Puppy!
Great poem Jim, but that little guy stole the show!

Even Resident Evil 5 had punching rocks in it.

Also, I'm liking that Bartleby is getting more screen time!

I love the way Yahtzee plays with his format.

Evonisia:
Oh look at the widdle doggie, pat his head and call him Chips.

Anyway, decent poems, and I loved Yahtzee's poetry companion.

Loved the poems today. The side kicks in them were welcomed treats. :)

Pandering be damned! MORE PETS, AND PUPPETS!

Yay, you guys introduced sidekicks! More of Bartleby and the Sock please! Also, which of the last two games did Yahtzee refer to? I want to say one of them was Day Z, or one of those he reviewed in his Early Access video.

Darth_Payn:
Yay, you guys introduced sidekicks! More of Bartleby and the Sock please!

I would watch the shit out of a new feature entitled The Adventures of Bartleby and Sock.

Just sayin'

OOO look at the wittle doggy mash up his face and call him chips

Yahtzee seems to be fed up with all this modern gaming,
if pugilism versus boulders, he feels is worth shaming.
Perhaps some vintage gameplay on ye olde nintendo-box?
Give Mario a replay, and remember punching rocks!

So do we have to pick a winner this time? Because I'm rooting for Bartleby.

(Fantastic name for a dog, by the way. Why not get a second one called Cerberus?)

azurine:
Yahtzee's was good, but I'm left wondering if the sock puppet will be a regular thing.

And Mr. Sterling's poem was... tragic. I mean, it's a great poem, but the subject is a tragic tale. people wonder if games really are an art form, and it sure doesn't feel like it when we hear stories of great games dropping their creative spark in favor of guns guns guns, or when people are told outright that a main character cannot under any circumstance be a female.

Agree with this. How many games are there nowadays that feel like they've been designed "by committee"? That instead of somebody having a specific vision and trying to market it, the marketers create the vision to appeal to "target demographics"?

Damn, that got me all maudlin. Fortunately there are games out there like "Papers Please". Y'know, a light, fun, insubstantial indie game to cheer me up and make me laugh.

Jims dog can be seen walking in the background at around 4:00 mark as well.
And as always Jim, very well played with your message there. you do us all proud.

Sock Puppet X Bartleby... OTP... Just saying... (Don't judge me...)

OT: I now feel the urge to punch a bunch of rocks... I wonder if those GP that contacted Jim count as a "rock alternative"...

The rhythm of Yahtzee's poem seems very familiar. Is it?

Yahtzee seems to really enjoy emergent gameplay stories.

I'd recommend checking out his Minecraft video on his personal YouTube channel. Better than anything I've ever built.

Kinda related to Jim's, check out Shamus Young's 'Electronic Arts: Greed Is Not the Problem' on this site. About publisher's, specifically EA, ruining the work of developers.

LOVE the Bartleby cameo! More puppy footage! <3

I enjoyed both poems. Punching Rocks reminds me of my MMO experiences and running around collecting endless resources to build X fancy weapon. I've had to limit myself to games with an actual ending after years of that!

TheMadDoctorsCat:

azurine:

Agree with this. How many games are there nowadays that feel like they've been designed "by committee"? That instead of somebody having a specific vision and trying to market it, the marketers create the vision to appeal to "target demographics"?

Damn, that got me all maudlin. Fortunately there are games out there like "Papers Please". Y'know, a light, fun, insubstantial indie game to cheer me up and make me laugh.

Agreed on the whole tragic verdict. It's almost crushing to hear how the marketing department screws everything up for Jim's fictional developer.

Marketing departments should be treated like mushrooms: keep them in the dark until harvest time.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)