Escapist News Now: Doom Beta Access with Wolfenstein Pre-Order

Doom Beta Access with Wolfenstein Pre-Order

Bethesda has revealed that the upcoming installment in the Wolfenstein franchise, The New Order, will be coming to North America on May 20th this spring, and May 23rd in Europe.

Watch Video

Escapist, please be more accurate with your news posts.

You don't get access to the Doom Beta by pre-ordering Wolfenstein: New Order; you get a copy of Wolfenstein: New Order when you sign up for the Doom Beta. ;)

So in other words, you have to pay full price for a game no one knows anything about to bug-test an incomplete game.

This is a really dirty marketing gimmick to lure people into bullshit pre-orders again.

Wargamer:
Escapist, please be more accurate with your news posts.

You don't get access to the Doom Beta by pre-ordering Wolfenstein: New Order; you get a copy of Wolfenstein: New Order when you sign up for the Doom Beta. ;)

The story is right, the Wolfenstein: New Order pre order page confirms it.

Bethesda have about as much chance of me pre ordering the New Wolfenstein as there is a chance of a Robo-Hitler coming out of a hollow Earth to start a new Third Reich, after it took weeks of patches for RAGE to run right I don't have enough confidence in id. Wolfenstein isn't really much of a nostalgia thing for me anyway, never played the others as I never owned a PC back then.

Nurb:
So in other words, you have to pay full price for a game no one knows anything about to bug-test an incomplete game.

This is a really dirty marketing gimmick to lure people into bullshit pre-orders again.

Agreed. I also dislike that "betas" have usurped the concept of proper "demos." People shouldn't have to jump through hoops to demo a product they may/may not want to buy.

I remember when Crackdown was the only way to get the Halo demo, and that sort of crap was only the beginning. Now, games can be in "beta" for years, while still implementing full micro-transactions and subscription fees...all while still claiming umbrage under the "beta" defense against complaints.

To be fair, only the worst companies do this nonsense, but it's becoming the prevalent business model. And if no other company can "turn a profit" without resorting to this sort of garbage, maybe another lull in the games industry is just what is needed.

"BUY OUR GAME BEFORE ANY KIND OF REVIEW OF IT HAS COME OUT AND WE'LL LET YOU TEST OUR STUFF WITH NO RECOMPENSE TO YOU!!"

Am I the only one here that heard that while reading the headline? You're paying them for a game you haven't even seen proper footage of yet and then testing their game for them, FREE OF CHARGE FOR THEM. God it's like some kind of twisted volunteer program(or an unpaid internship, those never made sense to me either) but of course no one else is gonna feel this way I'm sure. Just felt like putting this out there.

Not interested in this 'offer'. I am however and rather surprisingly looking forward to Wolfenstein. People who've played it at shows have been impressed and I'm happy there's a focus on the campaign, I read last year there will be no multiplayer at all. I hope they stick to their guns, though I wouldn't complain about coop.

Hope DOOM is good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Man has Id's stock been in the toilet. 14 years ago this was the go to dev house now its just a bunch of chumps in the eyes of the consumer.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I still cherish the days when hearing Cyberdemon clanking around somewhere in a level made me crap my pants in anxiety....if only I was still so easily entertained, I'd probably think Id's games were still good.

A Beta of a game that was released 1993?

When will this epidemic stop? Everyone is going to call it DOOM 4 or DOOM 201X anyway and if you just call it DOOM nobody will know which DOOM you're talking about. Just like will all the other "Hey let's make the games name indistinguishable from the first installment of the series" games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here