No Right Answer: Worst Reality Show Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Worst Reality Show Ever

It's been called the fast food of television, and it's just as bad for your colon. Which reality show voids your bowels the fastest?

Watch Video

Pawn Stars used to be okay, now it's more about fake bullshit family dramedy than the actual business.

Also, new rule for folks making reality shows: You have to think of a better name than "_____ Wars"

Idea for next week:

'What is the best reality TV show?'

I like Pawn Stars because I like learning about the history of the items people bring in.
But yeah, the inter-family drama that they make up gets boring/stupid sometimes.
But at least you learn things on Pawn Stars, the value of historical items, the history of them, etc.

Keeping up with the Kardashians on the other hand, I feel dumber for watching vapid rich stupid spoiled people.

Being European and therefor not up to date with US shows I have no idea what you guys were talking about. I never heard of Pawn Stars and the only thing I know about that Kadashian thing is, that that one woman has a big butt (which is apparently her only characteristic).

Was still entertained though...

Great use of the reality tv show cam close up with dramatic music.

Wait a minute: somewhere in the 5th minute of this. Batman DID have parents that were stupid (both killed by just 1 guy, right? okay, just clumsy) and rich. Bruce Wayne COULD be a reality TV star! Now on the other hand, Possum-man had parents that were stupid but not rich, so Possum-man would be sad to realize that here. Also, his parents "weres killed!"

Still hoping for a return of Media Sandwich here.

For me bad anime has taken over the role of watching stupid reality shows.

My cable got cut a couple of years ago and used to watch some of those stupid shows on MTV once a month so I can laugh at it and try to understand the mentality of inept rich people.

Now bad anime takes that role and I can sit there and be entertained by mindless cartoons.

FightingFurball:
Idea for next week:

All I have to say to that idea ...is this.

The ending statement pretty much sums it up nicely. No more reality TV! That's what killed MTV to the point where honestly I think they should no longer call themselves MTV! (Empty V, is more like it...)

CAPTCHA: creative process

More like the lack thereof, Captcha!

minnull:
Great use of the reality tv show cam close up with dramatic music.

(Twirls hair and giggles) thanks for noticing!

Xman490:
Wait a minute: somewhere in the 5th minute of this. Batman DID have parents that were stupid (both killed by just 1 guy, right? okay, just clumsy) and rich. Bruce Wayne COULD be a reality TV star! Now on the other hand, Possum-man had parents that were stupid but not rich, so Possum-man would be sad to realize that here. Also, his parents "weres killed!"

Still hoping for a return of Media Sandwich here.

"My parents weres killed!" (Throws broken beer bottle at closest bystander)

for my hardcore pawn is a worse show than pawn stars. There is really only two reality shows that i really enojyed. One was the mole, from many years ago. The other is the amazing race. but beside these two i dont really like reality tv. good episode today.

I can't help but notice that once again Chris got an extra talking point... which put him in the lead... and Kyle drank like 3 glasses of water while Chris was going on during the drinking round. I realize that it was meant to be as an 'instant reply' shot (or at least I hope it was) but you can clearly see Kyle finishing the glass of water.

You guys should really just take the point system right out of the show because it is a joke. Whomever you guys decide should lose, will lose the debate regardless of actual process. Its not a debate it is the two of you going on about two contenders in a given subject and comparing them. It is far from a debate or even a 'fair' process.

With that said, I'm glad the Kardashians 'won' for worst reality tv.

HostileParadox:
I like Pawn Stars because I like learning about the history of the items people bring in.
But yeah, the inter-family drama that they make up gets boring/stupid sometimes.
But at least you learn things on Pawn Stars, the value of historical items, the history of them, etc.

Keeping up with the Kardashians on the other hand, I feel dumber for watching vapid rich stupid spoiled people.

Precisely. Chris clearly doesn't understand "Pawn Stars" at all. Most of the people coming in are not broken people. I think he was confusing it for "Hardcore Pawn."

Demagogue:
I can't help but notice that once again Chris got an extra talking point... which put him in the lead... and Kyle drank like 3 glasses of water while Chris was going on during the drinking round. I realize that it was meant to be as an 'instant reply' shot (or at least I hope it was) but you can clearly see Kyle finishing the glass of water.

You guys should really just take the point system right out of the show because it is a joke. Whomever you guys decide should lose, will lose the debate regardless of actual process. Its not a debate it is the two of you going on about two contenders in a given subject and comparing them. It is far from a debate or even a 'fair' process.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Demagogue:

That was a purposeful jab at the obvious, manipulative, and terrible editing of bad reality TV.

I'm not sure what Pawn Stars is like now, as I haven't seen it for a couple years, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit when I used to watch it. It must have fallen very far these last couple of years to even be considered the worst.

Disclaimer: I don't watch either as I don't watch reality T.V., BUT...

... from what I have seen i'm gonna have to disagree with the outcome, Pawn Stars is stupidly romanticised but at least some interesting facts about the swag is thrown in every now and then. Keeping up with the Kardashians is just the worst sort of people in society doing the worst sort of things.

I'm sorry, I doubt your level of knowledge of terrible reality tv. Pawn stars while formulaic can show some interesting antiques, the kardashians are terrible. However, nothing, and I MEAN NOTHING, can compete with Dance Moms. For those uninitiated it is about this fat ugly troll of a women who yells and psychologically abues 5-9 year old girls in a dance class while the fame-hungry mothers are both appalled but complacent in allowing this bullying to occur. It is literally just mindless confrontation for no reason.

That music, it's in Men of War: Assault Squad! I like that game =3.

Of the two I only saw a few episodes of Pawn Stars, and it was... Well, it had some interesting items that they had their "expert friends" come and take a look at, and I enjoyed hearing about those objects. I didn't much care for the people working in the store though, the main characters I suppose... I don't much enjoy the reality-TV style of entertainment, seems like 90% of it is just empty and pointless void people leave on in the background while they do completely unrelated things. I can't think of any other reason why such a show would have ratings that justifies making more of it!

GamemasterAnthony:

FightingFurball:
Idea for next week:

All I have to say to that idea ...is this.

The ending statement pretty much sums it up nicely. No more reality TV!

I'm okay with one type of reality TV show -- competition among creative people that relies on their creativity and expertise. I enjoyed Penny Arcade's Strip Search, which was a competition show for comic artists. It took heavy inspiration from Project Runway, which I hear is also good.

That was a great reality show! I loved the water level thingy to show how fake they are. Well made!

That was the best episode for a while.

So, in the sake of spoofing bad reality the spit take was faked.
Which means that Kyle won in real reality...

Because Pawn Stars is great escapism with interesting history stuff, and I like the family dynamic.

And let's be serious for a sec; MTV's Teen mother dreck is actually making that seem way more attractive than it is, actively making the world WAY worse for decades to come (think of the babies!).
If you don't believe me, Google it and check the Ars Technica article...

Crazy Zaul:
That was the best episode for a while.

Thank you!

FightingFurball:
Idea for next week:

There are no good ones! They are all shit and the worst thing that has happened to entertainment in the history of the universe! I fucking LOATHE reality TV, it is the WORST, LAZIEST and absolutely DUMBEST thing mankind has EVER invented. FUCK reality TV.

OT: Cool "effect" on the episode. That drinking bit, even when making fun of reality tv had me almost start a seething rage.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Demagogue:

That was a purposeful jab at the obvious, manipulative, and terrible editing of bad reality TV.

Yep, it was a joke about reality shows padding scenes with the same clip in repetition. To be fair, if you didn't get it, then it wasn't the best joke.

Kaytastrophe:
I'm sorry, I doubt your level of knowledge of terrible reality tv. Pawn stars while formulaic can show some interesting antiques, the kardashians are terrible. However, nothing, and I MEAN NOTHING, can compete with Dance Moms. For those uninitiated it is about this fat ugly troll of a women who yells and psychologically abues 5-9 year old girls in a dance class while the fame-hungry mothers are both appalled but complacent in allowing this bullying to occur. It is literally just mindless confrontation for no reason.

The show with so much projecting they could title it picture-in-picture :D

HostileParadox:

Exactly my thoughts. It's like little history lessons on a wide variety of things. You might learn about Civil War era cannons and lap steel guitars in the same episode. Nice little bite-size factoids that are good for casual history knowledge.

Also, I think Chris is way off base when he says that they swindle people. As a watcher of the show (usually I like to throw it on in the background when writing/reading/surfing the web), I can say that there are several instances of the shop owners paying MORE than the customer asked for because the customer undervalued the cost of their item. They do so because they want to be fair with their prices. They're very transparent about their business practices with the customer, explaining what the retail value is and why they can't pay that amount in order to make a profit.

Even if you don't watch the show, though, the pawn business (and retail in general) is predicated on selling items for more than you paid for them so that the business can actually make money. They aren't forcing these people to sell their items. What they offer is the convenience of dumping something you want to get rid of for quick cash. It's a convenience for the seller of the item and provides the business with a profit potential for taking on the risk of the item not selling. If people were truly invested in an item or needed a bigger pay-off, they should make the effort and spend the time to sell it through collectors' auctions or direct sale to collectors.

In a world where shows like Honey Boo Boo, Rock of Love, and whatever the name of the one is where little girls are forced into pageants by over-bearing parental figures, Pawn Stars doesn't even come close to being the worst. Either in entertainment value or how it can hurt my insides.

HostileParadox:

The problem with Pawn Stars is that they do not actually bring anything into the store, the people who go on the show are given the items to show to that guy.
That's why he has an "expert" on everything comes in, because they actually own the item.

It is a terrible show.

el_kabong:
In a world where shows like Honey Boo Boo, Rock of Love, and whatever the name of the one is where little girls are forced into pageants by over-bearing parental figures, Pawn Stars doesn't even come close to being the worst. Either in entertainment value or how it can hurt my insides.

Hey now!
Leave that little girl out of this, Honey Boo Boo IS reality TV and yes it is bad, bad, bad but the little girl enjoys the shows. She wasn't forced into it and she clearly relishes the attention she otherwise would not get.
Her mother is also saving every penny for her kids education, the family enjoy themselves whilst earning buckets of cash for the future. Compared to the Kardashians, those guys deserve a show.

My answer is: [Gary Oldman voice] "AAAAALL OF THEEEEEEM!!!!"

Seriously, the only "reality" show I enjoy is Top Gear, and that doesn't qualify as part of this genre.

BTW, nice jab at the genre at the end there guys!

Pawn stars doesn't deserve to be here, it's not great but there's a lot, LOT worse out there. Seems like a pretty weird fucking decision.

Every criticism on it seemed like exaggerated bullshit, we're talking about reality TV, you shouldn't need to exaggerate or make things up to find something bad.

you know what? let's really talk terrible reality tv, fuck Pawn Stars, the horrible pun is boring but it's at least worth learning the history for, even if every one of the family makes me wish it was legal to just punch a person in the face if you were frustrated with them. But let's ignore that, you want something to REALLY stand toe to toe to "Keeping up with the Kardashians"? let's try Millionaire Matchmaker. Yes, I went there.

Here's the setup, this woman is a 3rd-6th something generation matchmaker, which seems to make her think she's the ultimate source of knowledge on romance and love, and also seems to make her think sexism is ok if women are on top. Yes, I went there. I've seen more episodes of this show than I care to admit and every episode is essentially the same:

1. Find women looking for men
2. Find men who make millions of dollars a year that are looking for women
3. Ask the men what they're looking for and berate them for their choices
4. Ask all the women what they want and promote every negative stereotype they could possibly have about men and make objectifying jokes about men with them like it's nothing.
5. "Mixer" to introduce them.
6. ?????
7. profit.

seriously, she asks men what they want in a woman, and then accuses them of sexism for not saying "I want to find a woman to marry, the end." if they talk about wanting a girl younger than they are, they're horrible pigs, if they want a blonde? what the fuck is wrong with brunettes? if they want a black girl and they're not black? why the racism? it's baffling . . . especially when the girls say they don't want an old man and she agrees that old guys are gross and no one wants that . . . great job reinforcing incredibly negative stereotypes about modern feminism! I'm sure our future generations won't suffer if we all adopt the view that men are evil for being born with a penis!

I did like the 100% unscripted spit-take section. Very well done. ;)

But seriously, if you want reality shows to go away, fucking stop talking about them. Inevitably someone who watched this episode will have that "well how bad could they be?" reaction and actually go watch those shows...which keeps them on the air longer, which defeats the conclusion of this episode that reality shows need to die.

[quote="Avaholic03" post="6.842889.20744287"]I did like the 100% unscripted spit-take section. Very well done. ;)

What are you getting at? :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or