Escape to the Movies: Pompeii

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Pompeii

A love story set between a volcanic eruption and violent gladiatorial games. It sounds awesome, but...

Watch Video

Oh well. At least it won't lead to endless arguments about the physics of fitting two people on a piece of wood.

Aw man, they are remaking Stargate. I still have very fond feelings for SG-1 that haven't yet been burned away by mediocre movies like my feelings for Star Trek and Star Wars.

I remember back when I was a kid, I watched Lizzie McGuire, about an episode where Lizzie and her friends sneak into an R rated movie called "Vesuvius", which was a parody of Titanic meets Dante's Peak.

Now producers 'actually' made a movie like that. I'm not sure if that's funny or incredibly sad...

A reboot of stargate?! REALLY?? oh balls.

I'm still waiting for a picture of ancient Rome that goes bananas and engage me through entertainment than a pretentious one which wastes a great opportunity to show something historic while being interesting.

Seem like it has good effects though.

Andrew Siribohdi:
I remember back when I was a kid, I watched Lizzie McGuire, about an episode where Lizzie and her friends sneak into an R rated movie called "Vesuvius", which was a parody of Titanic meets Dante's Peak.

Now producers 'actually' made a movie like that. I'm not sure if that's funny or incredibly sad...

How much of a bottom are you scraping when you're rebooting movies that didn't even exist?

What is the difference between Spartacus (way better than Ben-Hur) the movie and Spartacus the TV-show?

And what was this about a Stargate reboot?

That was a rather abrupt end there, Bob.

Also, you're joking about the Stargate reboot, right? Right?

So uninteresting that it only got 3 minutes worth of discussion. Oh well.

If I want a good story about Pompeii I can just rewatch the doctor who episode fires of Pompeii.

I saw the trailer when it came out and started digging through various wikis to get a refresher. Admittedly, it's not as well-known outside of comic culture as Iron Man/Batman/Etc. This plus AntMan will likely put the Marvel movie franchise to the test, as far as momentum goes. Still, looks awesome so far!

As for the Stargate remake, it's not very far in, but it apparently has legs. Tiny, tiny legs. http://io9.com/stargate-is-getting-rebooted-into-a-new-movie-trilogy-1263411150

Sounds about right; Harington is a TV actor so of course when it comes to movies it's slim pickings. Furthermore, I would say performances have as much to do with the actor as they do with the script and director. And since 2/3 of that equation in this film are comprised of typical hacks, there's not a lot that can be done.

I saw a trailer for this and, in my continuing battle with my brain to mouth filter, said 'I know how this ends' way too loud. My friends all groaned. I'm winning at life.

SnakeoilSage:
This has been going around the internet lately.

That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude. There's supposedly a black widow movie in the works, so I'm hopeful there, but I'm a little confused why all the superhero film studios think only a white lead can carry their movie, given how significant the success of the Blade films was to helping the whole superhero film wave really get moving.

Wait! Was that still shot of Katy Perry from the Stargate reboot?! When did this franchise start dropping acid?! O_o

As for this week's movie... Yup, another "Fuck all is coming out this early in 2014" reason to go see The Lego Movie again.

Jon Snow needs to stop finding himself in occupations that are centered close to things that can wipe out an entire civilization of humans.

Yeah I'm going to assume that this is going to get steamrolled by the Lego movie just like everything else then? I'll probably see this whenever it comes out on demand. Till then, I'll give it a miss.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks crazy awesome. I've been quietly hopeful for it since the casting was announced but now I'm really excited for it. I think everyone should just hand over their superhero property rights to Marvel because man, they're the only ones who seem to really get it at the moment. Well, not really, but it seems like every announcement from anyone other than Marvel at the moment just rubs me the wrong way.

Also, to everyone else: Katy Perry's new video looks like a stupid version of Stargate.

I'm surprised Bob didn't drop the name Paul W.S. Anderson sooner as being the director (which was news to me)

Now I'll have to give Paul a tiny bit of credit. The movie may be bad but it's the first one he's done in the last decade where he didn't shoe horn Milla Jovovich into a prominent role.

Mr. Q:
Wait! Was that still shot of Katy Perry from the Stargate reboot?! When did this franchise start dropping acid?! O_o

As for this week's movie... Yup, another "Fuck all is coming out this early in 2014" reason to go see The Lego Movie again.

I think it's from her music video for "Dark Horse" which came out in the last few days. Haven't seen it yet, though.

God, as a person who studied Latin and has been to Rome, this movie just feels horrible.

If you want to make a movie of people in Pompeii (and nearby Herculaneum since that also got wiped out),their lives and how they reacted to a volcano(no science so they probably thought Vulcan was angry), focus on the little people: the artisans, the prostitutes (kind of a poor term since the politics surrounding them gave the women a lot of control)and the families who probably used the volcano's geothermal heat for the thermae. Focus on a small personal story about ordinary people living their lives normally before the volcano and looking back on their lives. Why did you have to make a story about a girl falling for a poor boy with competition from a rich suitor; it's been done to death and can be done at any location with any type of situation. Its just a waste of a concept and location.

The acting sucks, because Paul W.S. Anderson is a bad director and Janet Scott Batchler, Lee Batchler, and Michael Robert Johnson wrote a shitty script. There's only so much an actor can do without help from behind the camera.

Malisteen:

That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude.

Luke Cage is getting a TV series, so I'm cautiously optimistic things will pick in that area.

Stargate reboot?

With Katy Perry?

[insert Homer Simpson Screaming loudest Profanity here]

imdb has nothing. The picture looks ridiculous. MovieBob, please tell me you're joking. Please.

EDIT: Oh thank God in Heaven, it's a joke. The pic is actually from Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" video.

Sorry, I know there was a review in there somewhere, but all my brain heard for the rest of it was "Ooga Ooga Ooga Chaka"...

... It'll probably be there until August.

Whats up with the abrupt video end?

Malisteen:

SnakeoilSage:

That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude. There's supposedly a black widow movie in the works, so I'm hopeful there, but I'm a little confused why all the superhero film studios think only a white lead can carry their movie, given how significant the success of the Blade films was to helping the whole superhero film wave really get moving.

It carries plenty of weight already. DC hasn't made any movies that doesn't star a white dude as the man lead either last time I checked. At least Marvel has the balls to go big with weird shit like a talking raccoon and tree whereas DC is still struggling with the idea that WW is too "strange" for a live-action movie.

We could still stand to have more diversity in these movies though, I agree with that much. Personally though, I think we are a lot more likely to see a Captain Marvel movie or Black Panther movie before WW gets her own feature film.

Also, Roland Emmerich is rebooting the Stargate franchise with a new trilogy of movies? My inner nerd can't decide if that is the best idea ever or the worst idea ever.

C.S.Strowbridge:

Malisteen:

That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude.

Luke Cage is getting a TV series, so I'm cautiously optimistic things will pick in that area.

Because Marvel has a great track record at TV.

But really, I hope you are right. It's possible that with a tighter scope and a real Marvel character to hang the story on, the Luke Cage show won't suck. Please let it not suck.

I thought it was a shame in the GotG bit, that MovieBob basically dismissed how kick-ass Gamora looked by instead just describing her as 'hot'.

Oh well :(

That's...that's not a real screen shot of the Stargate rebooot, right? I was never a huge fan, but I admit that the show had its charm and was well written. And the characters were hilarious. But that...that's a joke, right? That' can't be real. It's from one of her music videos or something, right?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that Green Goblin looked dumb. At least in the other Spider-man he wore a helmet and his face was stuck that way.

Can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy, nor can I wait for Bob's take on the movie.

Funny that the thing getting talked about most in the comments is the Stargate shot and not that terrible movie.

I'm glad Bob mentioned how young the actors of the new Fantastic Four movie look. Seriously I'm half expecting them to be defending the mall from a young Victor Von Doom who wants to destroy it because it's taking business away from his parent's tiny toy shop.

"A love story set between a volcanic eruption and violent gladiatorial games. It sounds awesome, but..."

No it doesn't even. It sounds like Titanic and/or Pearl Harbor set in ancient Rome. The best it could have hoped for was turning out closer to the former in terms of quality. Sounds like it failed.

Trishbot:
Sorry, I know there was a review in there somewhere, but all my brain heard for the rest of it was "Ooga Ooga Ooga Chaka"...

... It'll probably be there until August.

It's Blue Swede's version of 'Hooked on a Feeling' in case you weren't aware.

OT: Nothing much to say really, other than the fact that I can't wait for 'Guardians of the Galaxy.' I have no history with the series, but it still looks pretty perfect... so far.

SnakeoilSage:

Hear, hear. Mavel has been wiping the floor with DC for so long, it's not even funny anymore.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here