Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Tower Defense Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Tower Defense Games

Lisa lists off the best tower defense games that any aspiring engineer will want to check out.

Watch Video

Except for the number one on that list I've actually played and enjoyed all of those games. Now personally I would have added Plants VS Zombies on a top 5 list of tower defence games and I think I may have switched Dungeon Defenders with Sanctum. Otherwise fairly solid list.

lol I feel kind of bad for poor Kevin.

Are there videos of Kevin just like lazing around or cuddling? I love cat videos and Kevin is super cute!

Is Kevin just kind of an asshole or what?

Sanctum? Sanctum 2?

Animal abuse! PETA shalt cometh with hateful comments a lot of shouting!

Although that face you did when hiding in the doorway was hilarious!

Can't say I ever expected to see Ms. Foiles's panties. Hm. Oh well, it was still a funny video, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can only blow up certain kinds of balloons.

If she isn't careful that cat will soon be put in charge of the show. Go Kevin :)

I love TD games, not so much the FPS versions while they can be fun.
I was a bit bummed that my two all time favourites weren't on the list. The classic Defense Grid: The Awakening, and the one I'm playing a lot lately Prime World: Defenders. PWD has the tried and true TD gameplay but with a twist. It's also a card collecting game, so your selection of towers will vary according to which ones you get as you play. As well you upgrade and fuse the cards with other ones to make the towers more powerful. I never got into the whole pokemon or magic the gathering thing, but I'm finding the collecting aspect kind of fun.

Kevin must think you're absolutely crazy. Poor cat.

My favorite TD will always be the Cursed Treasure series. Relies a little too much on leveling sometimes, but it's crazy fun.

GemCraft Labyrinth probably deserves an honourable mention in this list along with Defence Grid. GemCraft is a free TD game on Kongregate where you build towers then craft different gems with different abilities (light green applies an acid dot, yellow is a chain lightning style, red ones get stronger the more enemies they kill and so forth) and socket them into towers to change the attack type. Then you can fuse gems together to combine attack types and upgrade their damage. Amazing mechanic that's well worth a perusal on Kongregate. Plus it's got a ridiculous number of levels.

Kevin sounds like the worst roommate ever.

Sad that I didn't see Defender's Quest on the list but seeing as I have only played Bloons and Kingdom Rush, I can't complain too much. Also I highly recommend Defender's Quest. It's a really good Tower Defense with some RPG thrown in that makes it pretty deep. Not to mention multiple difficulty levels on each stage and New Game +.

Were you throwing ping pong balls at Kevin? You mean mean woman you. (j/k)

Oh so those are tower defense games. I never knew that, I always thought the name referred to games like Stronghold and such. I must say they all look a bit casual for my taste, and the graphics aren't all that appealing.

No mention of Defense Grid makes me sad :(

I remember playing a really simple, stylish flash game called Vector TD that was really addictive. It had an interesting mechanic where you earned interest on money in your bank each round (and you could upgrade how much interest you earned), so there really was an emphasis on spending as little as you could get away with because otherwise you'd never be able to save enough for the best towers and upgrades for the later rounds. It was one of those games that really nails the "easy to learn, hard to master" mentality.

No offense to her but this is easily the most worthwhile video shes ever posted. I mean the others have been ok but this one was actually helpful. Most of her other videos just pointed out things we already knew about games we've already played. There's actually a couple TDG's I need to go check out now. Please do more videos like this one!

I hate tower defense games.

Whenever I find out that a game is actually a tower defense game, I move on with an expression of disgust on my face.

This is interesting, because I actually quite enjoy the "Defend the Base" levels in StarCraft and WarCraft, which probably inspired the TDG genre. But as soon as you turn those attacking waves and defense-building into the dominating game mechanic, I hate it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaa! No mention of Sanctum? Or Sanctum 2? I mean, I may be a bit bias, what with them really getting me invested in Tower Defense, and JUST BEING DANG AWESOME, but they're just dang awesome. :o

I still think Starcraft Brood War has the best tower defences. But out of the standalone TD games Sanctum 2 is the best.

So Lisa, what happens when Kevin inevitably breaks through your defense and you lose the game? :)

That said Tower Defense is not among my favorite genera, but some of these looked interesting. I did try "Dungeon Defenders" a couple of times but couldn't get much past the first few levels. I'm guessing I have to grind the earlier stages to level up before moving on to the harder ones.

My favourite tower defense game is Iron Brigade. A third person turret defense game set in WW1 where you pilot a mech (or mobile trench). This gives you the option of either turreting up or simply pumping up your mobile trench and taking it straight to the enemy. Another fantastic example of co-op play and lastly is made by the legendary Double Fine.

I like TD games, I may need took look into some of these. The thing I hate about the ones on say the Android, is at a certain point they make it impossible unless you buy credits. That is usually when I delete the game and find another.

So how was hiding behind a door a tower? :D

Awww, but Defense Grid is sooooo good!

Play it if you haven't already.

usually_Insane:
Sanctum? Sanctum 2?

this.
dint play the other besides orcs must die but they dint really appeal to me. love sanctum on the other hand.

I can't believe there was no mention of Final Fantasy 7. :(

But I'm going to have to download some of these games for my phone. Tower defense is among my favorite mobile gaming genres.

Add me to the "no Defense Grid? Sadness. :(" crowd. That was the game that convinced me that tower defense games can be enjoyable. (Kingdom Rush was second.)

I gave Dungeon Defenders a second chance when my brother got it and I am loving the heck out of it now. Having at least one other person to co-op with makes DD much, much more enjoyable. The tower combos we put together with our Apprentice/Squire combo are lethal, plus we're finally getting loot drops that make the hordes fall before us like snowflakes in front of a flamethrower.

I spent several yonks clocking Flash Element TD way back in the day, but since then they've grown a bit too stupid (what the FUCK is that third person shit?!) and too lazy to be worth investigating that much.

Yopaz:
Except for the number one on that list I've actually played and enjoyed all of those games. Now personally I would have added Plants VS Zombies on a top 5 list of tower defence games and I think I may have switched Dungeon Defenders with Sanctum. Otherwise fairly solid list.

Agreed. My top 5 would be:
1) Plants Vs Zombies (seriously, it's TD perfection)
2) Sanctum 2
3) Defenders Quest
4) Sanctum
5) Super Sanctum TD

The guys at Coffee Stain Studios really know how to do Tower Defense!

No experience with any of these, or with tower defense in general aside from a Plants vs Zombies demo. Dungeon Defenders looks pretty cool though. I'll have to check that one out.

I'm sort of disappointed, but only because I was hoping to get some new game recs out of this and I've played the whole list. I suppose I can't complain too much, since the list validates my opinions, or something.

Weaver:
lol I feel kind of bad for poor Kevin.

Are there videos of Kevin just like lazing around or cuddling? I love cat videos and Kevin is super cute!

And now I want a cat tower defense game.

I've never played a TD game better than the Bloons ones, at least the early ones, the chaotic insanity that in turns into is what makes it so fun.

Though the more recent iterations have kinda turned into micro-transactiony bullshit by the looks of it.

Also, anyone remember the TD game in Assassins Creed Revelations? How high were the people at Ubisoft when they decided on that idea?

Olas:
Also, anyone remember the TD game in Assassins Creed Revelations? How high were the people at Ubisoft when they decided on that idea?

At least this high : http://i.imgur.com/Ec2Ua.png

Not only was it completely unnecessary and out of place, but it was really REALLY bad. Like really bad. AAA Studio can't compete with free iStore games. What?

Though, if I recall, you only had to play that if you screwed up and the enemy tried to reclaim your area. I think. Something like that. It's been a while since I played that one. So yeah, maybe it was terrible as punishment. "You suck, now play this awful Tower Defense game! HAH"

As for the list itself, kinda disappointed that Dun Def got such a short snippet, getting overrun by griping about the vaporware sequel. They've actually released a bunch of new heroes (paid DLC *grumble*) that really do add interesting twists. Especially the Summoner, who doesn't actually have to be on the field. He (she?) can go into pure top-down mode and oversee the whole battlefield, upgrading, repairing and ordering their minions around from complete safety.

Shodan1980:
GemCraft Labyrinth probably deserves an honourable mention in this list...

That's the only TD that made me go back and play it again after not having played a while. I've played a great many TD's, but that's the best one by far.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here