No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Un-Death

Worst Comic Book Un-Death

We've already debated worst comic death, but the publishers couldn't leave well enough alone. Just because you can hit the "Undo" button doesn't mean you should.

Watch Video

The death of superman in my opinion was the worst. I was just a comic book loving kid when that comic was released. Comic fans around the neighborhood mourned his death (yes, yes very dorkish). But when rumors started floating around that he was back, in multiple iterations I just couldn't get it. They made such a huge deal about his death and suddenly he's back? It was kind of the nail in the coffin for me as a comic book reader, luckily the comic book film trend got popular and now I'm back on the train (still, I have a loathing for all things superman because of this).

Well, Bucky Barnes could have been considered one of them if they didn't completely knock that one out of the park (if you had told people before it happened that you were going to do that, pitchforks and torches all day long.)

The science involved with explaining how he's only like 30 years old or whatever better be made clearer in the movie. Like, the Soviets didn't find him until like 1987 or something.

A landslide vote by an overwhelming margin, of one person spamming that 1-900 number to get 6% of the vote. "We" didn't kill Jason. The Joker spamming the line killed Jason.

Spider-man The Other.

Because it didn't stuck.

I would of given it to Jason Todd as well.

To answer the spider-man options that are coming in, I say his 'death' was negated because they have been trying for years to get rid of Peter. Depowered him, found out he was a clone, Gave like... ten people his powers, blah, blah, blah. They've been trying so hard to replace Peter and they always end up going back. This one just happened to last the longest because it was 'Still Peter', so most people aren't so butthurt.

And to the No Right Answer, I still give it to Captain. We're talking about a main character game changer. His death SOLVED a crisis in the Marvel Universe. Not in the way I'd like, but it still happened. People just lost hope and faith when Cap was killed and was just beaten into submission for the sheer lack of moral from one man's death. Registration was then allowed. To liken this to real world, This would be like when Martin Luther King, JR was shot, Blacks looked on and just lost their steam and said 'Ok, I'm now fine with Jim Crow. Keep us under your heel as before. We're cool with it.'

Batman being a little more angsty had little effect on the DC universe. It was just a little more of the same. Worst yet, even if Todd is still alive, Batman still failed him. And the way Todd turned out is directly related to Batman's 'failings'. So, while Todd still walks, nothing really is undone by Prime Punching. If anything, it's even worse because Batman's actions didn't just stop someone from dying, but literally created the one thing he devoted his life to stopping: One more murder hunting. Using the talents that Batman instilled in him. That should be more of a heartbreaker for Batman than anything.

Captain America T shirt....talks about Captain America.
Venom T shirt....talks about Robin.

What...?

minnull:
The death of superman in my opinion was the worst. I was just a comic book loving kid when that comic was released. Comic fans around the neighborhood mourned his death (yes, yes very dorkish). But when rumors started floating around that he was back, in multiple iterations I just couldn't get it. They made such a huge deal about his death and suddenly he's back? It was kind of the nail in the coffin for me as a comic book reader, luckily the comic book film trend got popular and now I'm back on the train (still, I have a loathing for all things superman because of this).

Obligatory link to "The Death and Return of Superman".

minnull:

Beat me to it. This took everything about the death of superman and made it...well...nothing. It was just bad.

and yet nobody mentions Aunt May? who has had some of the absolute worst get out of death free cards. Including what is arguably the worst one in comics history. One More Day.

Huh. No Superman? Really? I mean, you talk about superheroes dying and coming back to life, that's the one everyone remembers. That's the one that practically started this whole never-staying-dead business in both DC and Marvel.

One good thing to come from Jason Todd's death: The Under the Red Hood movie. Honestly one of the best DC animated movies I've ever seen. Didn't mention any of that Superboy Prime business, and it really examines what Batman has sacrificed by allowing the Joker to live and continue his murderous rampage.

I can forgive bringing Jason Todd back for one reason: Under the Red Hood was an amazing DCAU movie. Frankly the fact that they were able to actually make something very enjoyable to watch out of the resurrection trumps the character repercussions of undoing it from my perspective. To my mind it doesn't even reverse the character change in Batman in the 'greatest failure' sense, since now, if anything, the consequences of the movie made Batman feel even worse about his failure.

Edit: Personally, I was surprised Superman wasn't one of the choices in this debate, since his entire death arc consists of the terrible plot of
1. Superman gets overpowered
2. Superman dies
3. But not really, he was just sleeping
4. Suddenly despite no actual character growth he can beat the monster that killed him

Firefilm:
"Why can't a main character just stay dead?"

Jean Grey's been dead for 10 years(Unless you count the time traveling Jean who still died/dies in 2004)

The end all be all of Un-death is when they bring back Prof Xavier. I mean, it WAS him and not some clone unless the clone also had the mental powers X had. At first I thought maybe he made everyone think he's dead but in the Uncanny Avengers, someone cut out a bit of his brain and stole his powers....so it had to be him.

So I'd love to see what bit of bull they'll pull to bring him back. Kinda like what they'll probably do to revive Nightcrawler.

I'd also throw in Batman's death. Shot with omega beams which later turns out to be omega sanction or some crap and that iconic pic of Superman holding Batman's skeleton instantly means nothing. He's been sent back in time. oh ok...sure.

Sure could use a Comics are Weird to explain this....

Not fans of the Ultimates universe huh? If you die there that's it. Your gone.
Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Peter Parker and most of his rogues gallery, Black Widow, King Pin.
A comic universe where death is permanent.

(sniffs) It's beautiful

minnull:

So much this. You can execute the un-death as skillfully as you want, but ultimately how good or bad it is reflects on how skillfully the death was done. Death of Superman was a crowning achievement of the superhero genre. Bringing him back from the dead served only to cheapen it.

TheRobotandtheBeast:
Not fans of the Ultimates universe huh? If you die there that's it. Your gone.
Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Peter Parker and most of his rogues gallery, Black Widow, King Pin.
A comic universe where death is permanent.

(sniffs) It's beautiful

Hear, hear. I'm loving Ultimate Spider-man. Specially when he met Aunt May and Mary Jane.

Righteous win for Jason Todd.
Cap... was just too obvious he'd be coming back.
And when the "death" means nothing, the un-death can't be that big...

Jason's story wasn't bad in the movie. In fact, it was actually quite good, because it was more self-contained to the Batman universe.

Comic though...Well, you involve Superboy Prime and create the Retcon Punch, you've pretty much lost it.

artanis_neravar:

Firefilm:
"Why can't a main character just stay dead?"

Jean Grey's been dead for 10 years(Unless you count the time traveling Jean who still died/dies in 2004)

She's still dead is she? I should read the comics more.

The thing about Superman is, he is one of DC's flagship characters. So of course he wasn't going to stay dead.

On a whole, death in comic books is why I don't like us comic nerds; We say we want change, development and something new to happen, but when it does, we backpedal faster than Superman on a bike.

Just once, I would like an A list character's death to be permanent.

K.ur:
Spider-man The Other.

Because it didn't stuck.

Hiss death during The Other had more dignity than what Dan Slott did :/

I'll say Jason Todd, for two reasons.

#1: Unlike Captain America, people actually expected Jason Todd to stay dead. In fact, for a long time, the one rule of Comic Book Death was: "Nobody stays dead except for Bucky, Uncle Ben, and Jason Todd." Note that, as mentioned in the vid, that Bucky's back too.

#2: Steve Rogers didn't immediately take his mantle back. He believed that Bucky was doing an excellent job as Captain, and so spent a year or so as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. In fact, the costume he's wearing in The Winter Soldier is based on the "Captain Steve Rogers" uniform he wore during that time (just with the cowl and shield added). Him later being reinstated as Captain America was therefore completely divorced from his un-death, and thus actually ineligible for the video.

I'm amazed and slightly disappointed (and a little relieved) that the fact Jason and Bucky were revived at around the same time. There were accusations of idea theft thrown left & right when it happened.
As for Steve Roger's resurrection, if you must blame someone for that, blame the writer, Ed Brubaker. He planned it that way from day one, as part of a longer-range scheme by The Red Skull. If anyone's death made me say "Oh, HELL no!", it was Bucky's in Fear Itself. THAT's how the Captain America title went back to Steve. But Matt Fraction was the head writer for that, not Brubaker. I bet Ed was pissed.

Kyle, no, I disagree with you
I don't know about comics, but death of Jason gave use this

Beautiful :'(

minnull:

My point exactly. They make a HUGE deal about Superman dying, a MASSIVE parade about Doomsday being the ultimate enemy, and then the huge fight where you see his actual death scene something like 9 times from different angles. Massive weight to the world he's in and DC in general, followed by what? like . . . a year of "who's going to take his place!?" with a huge group of "new" superman characters robots and aliens all wanting to take his name and position. Even a war between THEM happens, then at the end of it, when it looks like we might have a real change in the guard, a real shift in continuity that leaves a permanent mark on ALL of comics . . . . nothing. Superman comes back, because "hey kids, Superman wasn't REALLY dead, he was just in HYPER SLEEP! cuz he's too important to die! yeah, and it totally makes sense because he's an alien so that negates all the bullshit about him dying, his replacements and the HUGE ramifications it has for villains who's only desire in life was to kill SUPERMAN, Kal-L." yeah . . . not like there could have been a HUGE twist where most of the villains decide to either go harass other DC cities or try having a war against each other because "well, all we ever wanted was to kill superman . . . we've spent all this time trying to gather what it would take to do it and NONE of us killed him . . . what do we do with all this amazing shit now?" " . . . . kill each other?" "works for me!" that would make an amazing story! think about it guys, the villains of Superman's world killing each OTHER and then the Justice League arguing about how to deal with it, do they let them kill each other off? do they try to stop it? do they try to exploit all the villains being together like this to take them all out? somehow I'm feeling like this would have made a MUCH better setting for DC Universe Online.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here