Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Review - A Total Drain

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ya it seems like they missed the chance to explore Dracula's character and even our own modern society with his outsiders perspective but sadly they just decided that they would instead give the plot the no thought. It seemed like an afterthought even.

I wish we could get a Symphony of the Night follow up with beautiful 2d graphics and a great weapon and ability combo opportunities. They could also vary the gameplay a little from the older titles, you wouldn't have to stuck just exploring the castle, you could visit various locations, find artifacts and unlock special abilities, until you finally found and went through Dracula's castle.
I'm sure it would only cost a small fraction of this game's budget and would probably be pretty successful. They could even farm it out, so they wouldn't have to waste their own development team's time on it, if "waste" is how they would view it.
This God of War clone shit I am not into.

Shadow Complex, Guacamelee, Aquaria, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Strider have taught me something: everyone is doing a better metroidvania than Konami themselves (outside of the portable spinoffs).

I liked the first Lords of Shadow, but yeah, after playing Metal Gear Rising, it's hard to go back to it and if LoS 2 is more of the same for 10+ hours... then I think I'll pass on this one, or at least I'll wait for a massive discount.

The main problem with these two games "is" the character exploration of Gabriel/Dracula, as well as the boring story trying to explain everything. Game makers need to stop trying to explain everything, and just get on with it.

Dracula was cool back in the day because, he was an evil force that was destructive to the land, and its people. You had to destroy him. You're from a family that specializes in fighting the agents of darkness. The rest of it was challenging game-play set in beautiful, and dreadful places with pensive and anxious music.

Castlevania is dead, it died with SotN, and Dark Souls has taken its place. The only tragedy is that there are no more epic battles between the Belmont's and Dracula.

Totally agree with the review here, as it addresses all of the issues of this Whackula game. The story falls flat, and doesn't even bother to explain itself. There are so many twists and turns that, in the end, if this were a movie I'd expect Mystery Science Theater 3000 to jump in. It is very visually appealing, and that appears to be it's only saving grace. The first Lords of Shadow is superior in most regards. Not even Patrick Steward can make me engage in this.

You know, now that I think about it, I would definitely love to see a Let's Play with LoS2, with Mystery Science Theater 3000.

it's almost a weird quirk of fate at how this game is bombing critically after Cox basically insulted the Metroidvania style. Heck, long-time producer Igarashi is also set to do a panel at GDC about Metroidvania:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=223200

And now a supposedly anon dev from MercurySteam posted CastlevaniaDungeon.net detailing that LoS 2's development was one, giant clusterfuck and Konami is PISSED at them:

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,4965.msg156988.html#msg156988

Seriously, just give the damn series back to Igarashi. Not a single one of the entries he produced were ever bad (well, except for the 3D excursions, but those were more mediocre than bad. And even Iga didn't want to work on Judgment) and it would just be nice to see the Belmonts, Alucard, or even Shanoa again

Okay, you convinced me, purchasing now!

Aiddon:
it's almost a weird quirk of fate at how this game is bombing critically after Cox basically insulted the Metroidvania style. Heck, long-time producer Igarashi is also set to do a panel at GDC about Metroidvania:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=223200

And now a supposedly anon dev from MercurySteam posted CastlevaniaDungeon.net detailing that LoS 2's development was one, giant clusterfuck and Konami is PISSED at them:

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,4965.msg156988.html#msg156988

Seriously, just give the damn series back to Igarashi. Not a single one of the entries he produced were ever bad (well, except for the 3D excursions, but those were more mediocre than bad. And even Iga didn't want to work on Judgment) and it would just be nice to see the Belmonts, Alucard, or even Shanoa again

I thought "Curse of Darkness" was a pretty good 3dVania. I had fun with it.

Even though I like LoS 1, I think back to the recent 2d entries on the DS and wonder why we don't still have those coming down the production pipe.

They were excellent, especially Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow. Beautiful animation, fun exploration, and a fairly decent difficulty curve. Hell if they didn't want to spend to much money, do what Capcom did for Ace Attorney 5 and make it download only to save on physical production costs. I'd buy the shit out of that.

Also I would like another 2d iteration of the other half of the Metroidvania name. One can hope now that Retro has finished DKC:TF

Aiddon:
it would just be nice to see the Belmonts, Alucard, or even Shanoa again

Honestly I'd *LOVE* another Shanoa game, but when we've gotten far into the future, in relative. not past the 1999 point, but basically...she's got Dominus inside her, and since it's Dracula's power, maybe it's been keeping her alive, so she's this white haired, clearly mature/older, but still in excellent shape person who's probably secluded herself from the world. There's no need to 'depower' her since time would have already done it...the glyphs faded, and she won't use the 'forbidden power' of Dominus until of course the plot calls for it in the endgame...

What the hell are the devs and publishers thinking with this crap? The 2D Castlevania games were excellent, each one building upon the last for a better and better gameplay experience. Hell, I own every single one for the GBA and DS, and if they were to release one for the 3DS that might just be the thing that finally got me to buy one of those. The series was successful, maybe not Call of Duty or even Mario successful, but successful nonetheless.

But instead one of their lead dev says they're never making another 2D Castlevania again in favor of THIS??

I don't even understand...

And Konami's move towards being solely a Metal Gear factory takes another step forward.

Castlevania looks to join the ranks of Silent Hill, it seems.

I never understood why the one thing from the Castlevania series they decided to keep, was the story of all things. To me the series has always been about the romanticed traditional horror visuals and the awesome soundtracks that mixes upbeat rock melodies and omnious organ music, the story was always a subpar excuse for yet another adventure. But here we are, yet another Mercury Steam game that ends up sabotaging itself because it relies too much on story, leading to poorly designed stealth mechanics and the like. I hope we can return to what the series was originally about now that they are preparing to move on to new things.

The Madman:
What the hell are the devs and publishers thinking with this crap? The 2D Castlevania games were excellent, each one building upon the last for a better and better gameplay experience. Hell, I own every single one for the GBA and DS, and if they were to release one for the 3DS that might just be the thing that finally got me to buy one of those. The series was successful, maybe not Call of Duty or even Mario successful, but successful nonetheless.

But instead one of their lead dev says they're never making another 2D Castlevania again in favor of THIS??

I don't even understand...

They made that horrible mess, Mirrors of Fate or whatever it was called. Unfortunately i think this trite and gritty shit is the new face of the series... A reboot would be very welcome at this point.

It was to be expected. The last one was dreadful. It started out OK, but what you were introduced with in the first hour of the game was the whole game. And it was so repetitive and desperate for identity. It tried to be so many other games at once. Why then to expect originality from this one?

MrBaskerville:

They made that horrible mess, Mirrors of Fate or whatever it was called. Unfortunately i think this trite and gritty shit is the new face of the series... A reboot would be very welcome at this point.

No. No more Reboots. What we need here is an anti-Reboot! The opposite of a reboot, where you go back to what was working just fine before without all this new nonsense.

Make an Order of Ecclesia 2 or Portrair of Ruin 2 or even a new game but with the same style of gameplay and aesthetics. Those were two amazing games, yet they're being tossed aside for this rubbish? Gah! What is running through these peoples minds?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

I find myself agreeing with Jim most of the time but I have to say that I have been really enjoying LoS2 so far. But to each their own I guess.

Edit: I just finished it and the ending sucked. Changing my mind about the whole thing.

The Madman:

MrBaskerville:

No. No more Reboots. What we need here is an anti-Reboot! The opposite of a reboot, where you go back to what was working just fine before without all this new nonsense.

Make an Order of Ecclesia 2 or Portrair of Ruin 2 or even a new game but with the same style of gameplay and aesthetics. Those were two amazing games, yet they're being tossed aside for this rubbish? Gah! What is running through these peoples minds?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

That's basically what i meant :p. Actually i don't care what they do, as long as we get the classic soundtrack and art style back. I like most Castlevania games pre-LOS so i'll take whatever i can get. At the moment i think i would prefer something a bit more similar to Castlevania 1 gameplayvise, than a metroidvania game, it's been a while! Preferably the can do both and throw some experiments in on the side, like a Lament of Innocence follow up and stuff like that^^.

Portrait of Ruin 2 would be amazing, i loved the whole concept with the paintings, gave it a lot of variety in style. But it might be time to draw some new sprites!

Meh.

I played the demo and quite enjoyed it.

Fucking called it.

And I'll keep calling it, so long as this Lords of Shadow bullshit continues. Castlevania is dead. We need Igarashi to raise this series from the dead and pull it out of this embarrassing thing it was never meant to be before Konami wrongly thinks the series has lost all potential and kills it off.

anthony87:
Meh.

I played the demo and quite enjoyed it.

Same here, it would seem, if one liked the previous title then they should like this one. I'll be grabbing it when I'm done with the dozen games I'm currently playing.

I don't know, so far the game is great for me. The combat is fun. The world is mostly really good and I have no issues what so ever with any of the character. My one complaint is that I wish they kept it stage based like the previous entry. I actually enjoyed that element. With that, if I wanted to show my girlfriend something that was really cool (for example), I could just go back to that stage and experience the story again. It also made it much more approachable when I don't have a lot of time. I have 20 minutes, I'll play this stage. That rocketed the first one to a great 29 hours for me, and I didn't even get all the unlocks. This one is just as good, but the open world design is blah (like most of them), and I much preferred the locked camera of the first game because it gave you much better situation awareness which made the combat system technically better, thought the combat is really fun on this.

Also, the complaint about what Dracula is doing or being like is fuckin' old at this point. I'm really confused by what you think Dracula should be doing? What is he supposed to be doing with himself, designing parking decks? It just doesn't make sense.

Anyhoo, I quite like it. And if I read some reader reviews, a lot of people seem to be. The reviewers on the other hand, well they seem to be wanting something more than it is. That's fine, have at it. The reviews have been very all over the place, and the only reason I can think of is that it's a niche title that is not meant for everyone.

I'm alright with it though it should be noted that God of War never grabbed me, so I'm not as burnt out on that whole gametype. The depowering is a bit cludgy, but these things always are. They were perhaps overeager to lead with the big guns on the first post-tutorial fight (was that the demo?) and probably could've done better if they'd not done the "taste of power" beforehand.

Awwww, and I had such high hopes for getting to play as Drunkula!

Seriously, when I heard that LoS2 had you set to play as Dracula, I was like "Holy shit! Gonna buy the FUCK out of this game!" So much to the point that I actually went out and picked up a used copy of the first LoS for about $10 (before that, the last Castlevania game that I had ever bought/played was Lament of Innocence...the OTHER "How It All Began" story for Castlevania :P). Took it home, played it for a bit, think I ended up getting past the Werewolf boss before I got bored and hadn't touched it since.

So yeah, while I was very excited to hear about this game and the possibility to play as frickin' Dracula, I'm pretty glad that playing the first game for a bit cooled down my enthusiasm enough to not rush out and buy this game immediately. Judging by this review, it's pretty much exactly what my pessimistic side figured it would be.

Thank God for Jim.

I dunno LOS was as bad as LOI and COD they all had issues just in different areas. Tho I have no doubt LOS2 is a slog I will still get around to it....just so much to get through on my back log. Onimusha 3(which has the worst voice acting ever),New Vegas,Skyrim,FF 12, a replay of LOS to check out the DLC.

WHat CV needs is better level design they need to look at level layouts from Zelda and Metroid Prime only slightly bigger. Combat is improved but needs to incorporate different weapons if the whip is not the main/only one.

This game is stupid as Hell. It doesn't explore any ramifications to Dracula being in the modern age. He still does all his stealth missions in a giant red cape. He turns into a swarm of rats and throws bats at enemies. Satan apparently rules the world via genetic engineering space marines. You recharge health by eating raw human hearts from a statue, and upgrade your life bar by sticking your arm into the Hellraiser cube.

In short, I fucking love it.

It was surely unintentional, but somewhere along the line it transcended its own ridiculousness to just barely lift itself off the ground and then surely its ascension with juvenile glee. There is no grounding or restraint. It's like if a thirteen year old came up with a vampire superhero, (But not a fourteen year old! No, by fourteen they've found out about World of Darkness and shoot for something 'deep'.) with all the glee and self-indulgent grandeur that implies.

As for the story? Well, forgive me, but I don't recall Castlevania games ever being narratively engaging, or any Western character action past the PSP God of War games doing the same, lest we forget the 'Shakespearean' writing of DmC.

Reading this makes me want to play a game based on Hellsing. None of this brooding anti-hero, instead barely constrained KILL ALL THE THINGS.

Jimothy Sterling:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Review - A Total Drain

A few great ideas with zero follow-through.

Read Full Article

Guessed as much. Seems to be the harder a game pushes pre-purchasing and pre-ordering the worse it is. Again, They're trying to grab the cash before people open the box and reveal the shite.

I've only been able to sink a few hours into the game so far and overall... it's been pretty meh so far.

I had quite a bit of fun with the first game, sure it wasn't Metroidvania like some clearly expected, but on a whole i had fun with it. At least the combat in it was interesting when you unlocked more of the combos and skills and aesthetically it was pretty damn sweet-looking. The story aspect was quite lacking however.

In LoS2 so far i'm not seeing much of the combat enjoyment, but who knows, maybe that'll improve once i gain more moves here too. The story is a snooze though, more so than in the first game, and the open world seems to be there solely to mimic the metroidvania people wanted last time without actually considering how to make exploration fun or co-operate with the plot in any way. Also: Why the hell do i have to get Dracula shoved in my face every time i die? It's weird...

Visuals have only gotten upgraded though. Gonna play it some more over the weekend so i'll just have to see if things get better as i unlock more shit and the whole Satan's Acolytes business starts paying off.

Credit where credit is due, I didn't think they could actuly make a worse game than the first LoS but somehow they managed. Seriously? forced stealth sections? Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? My only how is that this shit bombs and Konami either goes back to making good Castlevania games or just lets the series die with a shred of dignity left.

Was the "this game sucks" pun just too obvious?

the demo was good

was that even in the game? after aliens one cant never be sure

I've been playing ti for a couple of hours and I'm quite enjoying it actually.

Even with the quite troublesome stealth sections it's still a good game. If you enjoyed LoS1 I recommend it.

I, I, I... I am actually very disappointed. I enjoyed the first, but it's length and endless repetition did tarnish the overall experience in the end. I was sincerely hoping that LoS2 would be to LoS1 what AC2 was to AC1. Keep what works, refine what doesn't and dramatically improve the pacing.

In stead, we got this... Oh well, I'm just glad I hardly pre-order anymore and didn't do it for this one... Lets hope The Stick of Truth lives up to expectations cause it's the only other new thing I'm looking forward to in the coming months...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here