South Park: The Stick of Truth Review - A Storm of Swear Words

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So looking forward to this game. And I'm actually glad that it won't drag on for too long like some RPGs do. Especially if, as you say, some of the jokes overstay their welcome.

Just have to avoid learning too much about the game before my copy arrives on Friday.

Not surprised some of the humour is drawn out a bit too much. Is an expected side effect of a 20-30 minute episode series being drawn out so far. The animation and the way they've made it actually feel like an extended episode is pretty awesome though.

Also noticed this:

Jimothy Sterling:
jokes made at the expensive of videogames

Repetition of jokes has been an issue I've had with South Park I've had for a couple of years now, so that does water down my anticipation a bit. However, the novelty of playing a South Park RPG that's authentic and respectful to the source material is enough to win me over I guess. I'll see if I can pick this up on payday, if not sooner.

Well, at least I know that I will not only have a good time playing this game, but at the same time, it's not going to be as long as the other RPGs that I'm currently playing right now... (Seriously, I have 4 other RPGs I'm constantly switching off between that are over 100 hours long in total... except one, which acts more like a fighting game than a RPG...)

Now, I need to call up my friend sometime this week to schedule a day where we both play this game while we pretend that we're watching a South Park episode together...

I am having mine shipped to Japan so it might take a while to play it, but knowing that it holds true to the show that well, I am definitely looking forward to this. At this point if you hate South Park (you know who you are) please don't pee over everyone's picnic. After watching this show for 17 years all the dissenting opinions have kind of ran together. I can already tell that I am not going to be able to recommend this game as an introduction to the show, but at least this happened sooner rather then later.

Good, good. I was hoping this one wouldn't disappoint. Something calling on the South Park feeling was what I was exactly hoping for. Reviews are looking good, so lets go and pick up this game :D

"at the expensive of"

I think you mean expense. Anyway, as someone who will watch South Park occasionally but mostly find it childlishly purile in its ideology moreso than any of its actual jokes, I don't think this will sit with me. I'm put off from the word "go" with the idea that Jew is a class. I dunno. South Park's idea of fairness is to just give everyone the short stick, which is both terribly pretentious and just kind of more gross than if it actually picked a side.

I mean, South Park is the show that taught a generation it's okay to say "faggot" and that politics is between "douche and turd". The sincere apathy it fosters is outright creepy, honestly.

Andy of Comix Inc:
"at the expensive of"

I think you mean expense. Anyway, as someone who will watch South Park occasionally but mostly find it childlishly purile in its ideology moreso than any of its actual jokes, I don't think this will sit with me. I'm put off from the word "go" with the idea that Jew is a class. I dunno. South Park's idea of fairness is to just give everyone the short stick, which is both terribly pretentious and just kind of more gross than if it actually picked a side.

I mean, South Park is the show that taught a generation it's okay to say "faggot" and that politics is between "douche and turd". The sincere apathy it fosters is outright creepy, honestly.

I used to enjoy the show long ago, but I feel their cynicism and bitterness grew to such an extent as to be unbearable for me. Or perhaps I simply was exposed to too much of it. Like you pointed out, their takes on issues like the word "faggot". Sure, they raise some interesting points about language. However, they ignore the human.

It very much seems to play into the popular culture of aggressive-douchebag-apathy that's so prominent on the internet these days.

And yes, though usually in any discussion no side is 100% right, however painting both sides as equally wrong is rarely ever appropriate either. Especially not when lives and livelihoods hang in the balance on an issue.

So while I did once enjoy the joy, today I just recognize it as a source of hopeless negativity, and I think they do themselves too, after their episode about Stan's crisis of cynicism. Negativity doesn't contribute to the world, it takes. It induces apathy. And you can poke fun at the worlds problems and the proposed solutions without being a source of hopelessness. You can keep hope alive and still be funny.

I view South Park the way I view Grand Theft Auto. It's cleverer than its detractors give it credit for, but not as clever as it gives itself credit for. It is nowhere near as sharp or witty as befits a show with such overbearing smugness, but at the same time, it's not quite the simplified "everybody is dumb, fuck everyone, nihilism rules" show that it's been written off as.

I enjoy the show a lot. I don't like everything it does, and have found a few running jokes fairly miserable, but on the whole, I appreciate it. Few shows have lasted so long and managed to stay so relevant. It has my respect in general, even though I can't always respect what it does.

Jimothy Sterling:
I view South Park the way I view Grand Theft Auto. It's cleverer than its detractors give it credit for, but not as clever as gives itself credit for.

I'd love to see them use that quote on future retail copies of the game.

Andy of Comix Inc:
"at the expensive of"

The whole "faggot" thing is debatable from the get go, so I wouldnt blame SP exclusively for it.

I actually really like SP for their "We make fun of everyone equally"-rule (because its fair, even if some people disagree), and supported it for the attitude alone. But I also find it really really funny, and watch it regularly since it usually touches on current issues id rather laugh at for once, than cry about.

Looking forward to the game.

Also, fun fact:

In Germany, the Class "Jew" was changed to "Paladin." I laugh every damn time.

I have a love hate relationship with the South Park show, but I am really happy that they finally managed to release this game and it turns out that it wasn't a flop after all (Metacritic score of 82% last morning that I checked).

Looking forward to playing this. I'm only a bit bummed by the fact that the game is only 15 hours long.

Taking queues from Paper Mario?

Don't you mean from Mario RPG on the SNES?

#videogamehipster

Regardless, while I enjoy South Park and Mario RPG, I don't think I enjoy them enough to drop $60 on a 12h game. I'll wait for the price to go down.

Seems like 8/10 is the average. Considering how it's so easy to fuck up a South Park game, I can live with that. Any lengthening of a South Park episode (like humor in general) risks dragging on too long, but that seems to be a problem you can't avoid with a show like this. People were saying "short for an RPG" before release, but 10-20ish seems to be decent (going a full FF affair would DEFINITELY get the game to overstay it's welcome). Dunno when I'll pick it up, but I'll pick it up.

Their is this feeling I get when playing it. I do not know what it is, it is a joy like feeling mixed with relief and peace. What ever that feeling is, I suspect ti will be a long time before another game makes me feel the same.

I like south park even If I think the latest season was kind of underwhelming, still a good south park game sounds great.

I hope that if this game succeeds more good licensed cartoon games start appearing, I would love a good adventure time rpg.

On the pc version the parts when they ask you to mash a certain key is annoying beyond explaining. Otherwise its a decent game.

Fasckira:

Jimothy Sterling:
I view South Park the way I view Grand Theft Auto. It's cleverer than its detractors give it credit for, but not as clever as gives itself credit for.

I'd love to see them use that quote on future retail copies of the game.

Knowing Matt and Trey's humor, and their love of making fun of South Park as much as anything else, it wouldn't surprise me if a quote like that ended up on a commercial.

I like south park and I want to play the game, but it just really doesn't seem worth $60 to me. Especially with people saying they've beat it in 10 hours.

Andy of Comix Inc:
"at the expensive of"

I think you need to read between the lines a little more. The show is anything but apathetic. Check out the Trayvon Martin episode.

I'll probably just wait a little while until some bugs are sorted out and whatnot, but this definitely sounds like something I want to play.

I think you need to read between the lines a little more. The show is anything but apathetic. Check out the Trayvon Martin episode.

This. An honestly STUNNING amount of people seem to take South Park 100% at face value for some reason. Not reading between the lines is about as useful as reading the Onion for factual news stories.

The comment about the game's 'simplistic' graphics seemed pretty ignorant to me. Making the game look exactly like the show is actually quite a complex effort, especially combined with the heavy NPC scripting.

Anyway, I've been playing for hours and haven't ran into a single bug. Between this game and the equally bug-free Dungeon Siege III, I hope the tiresome 'every Obsidian game is buggy' meme can finally be put to rest.

Jimothy Sterling:
I view South Park the way I view Grand Theft Auto. It's cleverer than its detractors give it credit for, but not as clever as it gives itself credit for. It is nowhere near as sharp or witty as befits a show with such overbearing smugness, but at the same time, it's not quite the simplified "everybody is dumb, fuck everyone, nihilism rules" show that it's been written off as.

I enjoy the show a lot. I don't like everything it does, and have found a few running jokes fairly miserable, but on the whole, I appreciate it. Few shows have lasted so long and managed to stay so relevant. It has my respect in general, even though I can't always respect what it does.

I agree with you on the whole except maybe that south park is smug. I think I will always be grateful to South Park, not because they are right or because they are fair, but because they taught me (I've been watching this show since I was 9) to not take myself to seriously, and more importantly to not be smug and that being smug could undermine me if I ever had a point I wanted to make.

Decent writing, combat that kinda dregs on you by the end, and bugs--so it really is an Obsidian game. I definitely want to check this out, though. That's a pretty damn appealing review, and, WOW, those cut scenes. And HAHAHA, the scenes they didn't cut. I'll give it a peek.

ERaptor:
The whole "faggot" thing is debatable from the get go, so I wouldnt blame SP exclusively for it.

I actually really like SP for their "We make fun of everyone equally"-rule (because its fair, even if some people disagree), and supported it for the attitude alone. But I also find it really really funny, and watch it regularly since it usually touches on current issues id rather laugh at for once, than cry about..

Eh, "faggot" is very much hate speech now. It's a sad fact, and the word doesn't change meaning on a whim. Just as "gay" used to mean "happy," and now it means... well, you know, gay. And that word was used for hate speech, too. It evolved naturally into what it is today. The word "faggot" doesn't instantly become okay because of personal meaning attached to it. It has to be reclaimed same as any other hate word.

Anyway, I don't hate South Park just for picking on both sides. In many debates, both sides have a very twisted view. Finding a middleground is normal and using satire to point that out is quite fine. It's the idea that Parker and Stone seem to raise themselves above those issues by doing so, alleviating themselves of responsibility and kind of speaking on behalf of the reasonable. It's quite pretentious, I find. I do find quite a few parts of the show quite funny - I don't hate the entirety of the show or Parker and Stone; I love Book of Mormon, Orgasmo, Baseketball - it's just that very cynical worldview used in a way that makes South Park seem the "bigger man" when they are entirely at fault oftentimes just... it doesn't sit well with me.

I always find it strange that so many people accuse South Park of being 'smug', when I honestly find the show to be the complete opposite of that. The majority of their satire and political jabs are inspired by Matt Stone and Trey Parker's libertarianism (which they've gone on record as saying numerous times), and the fundamental concept of libertarianism is "I don't know what's best for you".

The definition of "smug" is: "contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent." I honestly can't think of anything more smug than someone having an attitude of "I know what's better for you than you do", which is the complete opposite of Stone and Parker's beliefs.

Anyway, been playing the game for about 1.5 hours, it's hilarious, it's fun, I love it.

Andy of Comix Inc:

ERaptor:

I actually really like SP for their "We make fun of everyone equally"-rule (because its fair, even if some people disagree), and supported it for the attitude alone. But I also find it really really funny, and watch it regularly since it usually touches on current issues id rather laugh at for once, than cry about..

Eh, "faggot" is very much hate speech now. It's a sad fact, and the word doesn't change meaning on a whim. Just as "gay" used to mean "happy," and now it means... well, you know, gay. And that word was used for hate speech, too. It evolved naturally into what it is today. The word "faggot" doesn't instantly become okay because of personal meaning attached to it. It has to be reclaimed same as any other hate word.

Anyway, I don't hate South Park just for picking on both sides. In many debates, both sides have a very twisted view. Finding a middleground is normal and using satire to point that out is quite fine. It's the idea that Parker and Stone seem to raise themselves above those issues by doing so, alleviating themselves of responsibility and kind of speaking on behalf of the reasonable. It's quite pretentious, I find. I do find quite a few parts of the show quite funny - I don't hate the entirety of the show or Parker and Stone; I love Book of Mormon, Orgasmo, Baseketball - it's just that very cynical worldview used in a way that makes South Park seem the "bigger man" when they are entirely at fault oftentimes just... it doesn't sit well with me.

Eh, I think many people are looking for a deeper message or clever parody where they are nonexistent. SP was and will allways be the kid that makes offensive jokes and gets extra excited if the offended party gets mad about it. The exception is at LEAST, they do it for everyone and anyone, and dont focus on a specific party. I enver felt that they were making statements, or that there was some kind of message in the episodes. But I never actually followed the creators, so I ahve no idea if they are promoting something outside of the series.

And, without wanting to derail, words are innocent. As George Carlin said, words are just words. Its the context people that use it who add meaning to it. So to me, using "faggot" as a word is completely fine as long as im not using it to belittle homosexuals. There was a sketch from Louis CK as well, that said it best. "Im not calling someone a faggot because hes gay, im calling him a faggot because...you know he's a faggot!". Its not any different to me than "asshole" or other swears. Regardless of what other people use it for. And frankly, since I dont use it publically (at least, I try. When hanging with friends it sometimes slips.), I never had to deal with anyone getting offended outside the Internet. And honestly, I wouldnt care if they did.

ERaptor:
So to me, using "faggot" as a word is completely fine as long as im not using it to belittle homosexuals. There was a sketch from Louis CK as well, that said it best. "Im not calling someone a faggot because hes gay, im calling him a faggot because...you know he's a faggot!". Its not any different to me than "asshole" or other swears.

I hate that mentality. The society you're in gives context to the words you use, regardless of your intention. If you use the word "faggot" around me, regardless of your intention (you wanna use it like "asshole," etc.), I'm going to hear the word as if it was thrown at me because I'm gay. That meaning will not go away because you will it to. I mean, the word asshole does mean something, it means ass hole. You may be using it as a swear but it's only a swear because of what it means; same with "fuck," "cunt," even "bugger". Those words are not actually devoid of definition. Same with "faggot".

At any rate, you still shouldn't be teaching people it's okay to use certain words because they mean something different to you. Words are how we communicate as a species, and what the words mean to other people is most important. It wouldn't be worth speaking at all if that weren't the case! You can only speak to other people...

BehattedWanderer:
Decent writing, combat that kinda dregs on you by the end, and bugs--so it really is an Obsidian game.

It's actually not the typical Obsidian game. The South Park creators did the writing, and the game is almost entirely bug-free. The reviewer even had to mention a bug found by another reviewer to take a cheap shot at Obsidian, which I found pretty baffling.

Artea:

BehattedWanderer:
Decent writing, combat that kinda dregs on you by the end, and bugs--so it really is an Obsidian game.

It's actually not the typical Obsidian game. The South Park creators did the writing, and the game is almost entirely bug-free. The reviewer even had to mention a bug found by another reviewer to take a cheap shot at Obsidian, which I found pretty baffling.

Because nothing says "this company has a track record of sloppy coding" like demonstrating that a company has a track record of sloppy coding.

I just finished it about an hour ago of this posting and it clocked around 16 hours and I'm STILL missing stuff in game. I really think the creators meant for you to tackle the majority of the sidequests as post game content considering the levels you got equipment upgrades in the main story.

As for glitches, the only one I encountered is sometimes your character will just "slide" across the ground instead of "hop" like they usually do. Also every once in a while you'll see stat buff/debuff icons pop up over your head out of combat. However of the recent Obsidian releases I've played this is their most polished project I personally have played.

Andy of Comix Inc:
You can only speak to other people...

That's what I keep saying to my telepathic dish detergent!!!

Woah, look at all those comments not going nuclear about censorship. Thanks, everyone.

*sniff*

Thanks.

Phuctifyno:

Andy of Comix Inc:
You can only speak to other people...

That's what I keep saying to my telepathic dish detergent!!!

Haha, thanks for the laugh. :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or