The Walking Dead Season Two: A House Divided Review

Good review without spoilers. Nice work, Jim.

One of the best episodes to date.

Some very impactful choices in this one, my Clem messed things up pretty badly and the consequences were pretty dire.

I gotta disagree with you on this one, Jim. For me, with the exception of the brilliant season 1 finale, this was the best episode in the entire series.

For me, after this episode, "the new crew" is worth way more than the one from the first season, and those few scenes in here

made them much more fleshed out than season 1 characters despite having less screen time so far. Don't get me wrong, I liked the old guys as well, and every death was a sad moment for me, but sadness is just one emotion to evoke, while there is much more to this, that actually caught up to me here. Like anger. The only time I was angry at someone in the season 1, was when mostly because I felt it was so out of place, even for that character and even considering the situation around the event, so I screamed "What the hell did you just do?!".

This time around, I got really pissed off at Carver for killing

even though the guy screamed "REDSHIRT!" from the very first scene he appeared in. And that's awesome. The guy was an obvious Redshirt from the very start, but yet they managed to characterize him so well in such a short time that I really got angry when he died, because the guy really deserved better, but just happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time meeting the wrong type of asshole.

After "meh" (they overdid with dramatic/sad scenes in there IMO) start to the second season, now I'm pumped up. I can't wait for the next part, and I can only hope, they won't pull "The Wolf Among Us ep 2" on this one.

Really great episode and all, but I have one issue. It didn't show me my choices at the end. I mean, it showed a blank screen that said "Your choices" at the top. But it was, you know, blank. Then I tried to view them from the main menu, and it only showed choices for episode one.

I realize I shouldn't really care, since the game itself was great, but I'm actually really annoyed right now. I really enjoy seeing how my choices compare with everyone else's. Is it because it just came out today, and there's not enough data yet?

I agree with the others. Season 1 and 2, best episode yet. There was so much quiet tension, I nearly lost it by the end. Not a whole lot of action or tearjerkers, but a lot of drama and really difficult (big and small) decisions. Love it. Can't wait to see where this goes.

But I have to ask...

Robot Number V:
Really great episode and all, but I have one issue. It didn't show me my choices at the end. I mean, it showed a blank screen that said "Your choices" at the top. But it was, you know, blank. Then I tried to view them from the main menu, and it only showed choices for episode one.

I realize I shouldn't really care, since the game itself was great, but I'm actually really annoyed right now. I really enjoy seeing how my choices compare with everyone else's. Is it because it just came out today, and there's not enough data yet?

That must be a glitch or something, because I got my choices shown to me. I'm on PS3.

Seriously, holy shit! I didn't even look at the other options and just went straight in.

I was saddened by the

I never much liked

Given how the events of the 400 days DLC was supposed to factor in to this episode, I am confused by it.

Oh well, now to wait another 2 & 1/2 months for the next episode.

Robot Number V:

Precisely because of what you wrote in the last sentence. Same thing happened to me with The Wolf Among Us ep 2 on a release day. Few days later, when there was enough data gathered, it appeared all right.

Raggedstar:
SNIP

Robot Number V:

This happened to me the first time, but it was there when I closed the game and reopened it.

You have the option on the main menu to just view 'my choices', which it can show you, for each episode, the breakdown of your choices and how this compared with everyone else.

Give it a go and see if it is there.

008Zulu:
I was saddened by the

I never much liked

Me as well.

What I really like about this episode is that Telltale kept poking my brain about Clementine's size and having to make smart choices around it. In most video games, including the first season, I'm usually playing as an adult that can handle physical combat, and I'm used to that! It felt so different accepting Luke's plan of killing the smaller zombie, and having to choose to fight with a knife because Clementine's too small to use a rifle. Deliberately choosing the less masculine of 2 choices because the protagonist isn't a powerhouse is a new and interesting experience. In the last episode they made it apparent that Clementine's small size was going to make combat sequences more difficult, but I never had to make choices revolving around it before.

Is it bad that I'm actually expecting Carver to be entirely justified?
Unhinged and dangerous; sure, but the fact that nobody seems willing to talk about why they left kinda makes me think they did something wrong, very wrong.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here