Zero Punctuation: Strider

Pages PREV 1 2

PunkRex:
QI told me that the oiginal ninjas actually wore blue so Strider may be more up to code then you think... don't know about that scarf though, maybe it's his clan's muffty day.

I believe i heard somewhere that Strider's scarf is actually not a scarf at all. Apparently all the striders wear some thing around their neck that is meant to do something or other to their natural energy, but Hiryu's apparently got so much spiritual energy it just flows out and elaves that scarf-looking trail. Something along those lines...

OT: Metroidvania, huh? Perhaps after Lords of Shadow 2 was what it was i should pick up this Strider game to sate myself until Dark Souls 2 is out.

Abomination:
Uh-oh, did Yahtzee just say that you need to have testicles in order to be a male? Queue the pantomime dames fiasco :)

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!!! D:

Kidding aside, he dind't say male, he just said how the game would make you feel if you had testicles.

Nice, fun review Yahtzee. Now review Stick of Truth dammit, I want to hear that most of all.

CAPTCHA: Instantly Skip. If only I COULD do that Escapist but you've seen fit to give me a captcha EVERY FUCKING POST!

Yahtzee please don't give me anymore insight into your thought process.

Two-A:

Abomination:
Uh-oh, did Yahtzee just say that you need to have testicles in order to be a male? Queue the pantomime dames fiasco :)

Kidding aside, he dind't say male, he just said how the game would make you feel if you had testicles.

Actually he did, he said the words "If male" right after that, and they also appeared as text.

Was anyone else weirded out by the fact that pictures of dolphins were shown every time Yahtzee mentioned masturbation? Or is this a running gag I haven't caught onto?

Why did Yahtzee show a pic of a dolphin when discussing masturbation? Is it all about the blowhole? You know what? I don't wanna know.

Agayek:

PunkRex:
QI told me that the oiginal ninjas actually wore blue so Strider may be more up to code then you think... don't know about that scarf though, maybe it's his clan's muffty day.

The original ninjas, insofar as there was such a thing, were peasants who couldn't afford more than a couple sets of clothes all together. They wore whatever they could get their hands on.

That's, apparently, why they wore it. Blue dye was cheap.

Bionic commando was not THAT bad. Sure the story was a lose but the gameplay was neat.

AkaDad:
Why did Yahtzee show a pic of a dolphin when discussing masturbation? Is it all about the blowhole? You know what? I don't wanna know.

I take it you haven't seen his previous episodes where Yahtzee references dolphins and doing things to them, especially when their burning.

OT: Interesting, never heard of the series but may pick this one up sometime, thanks for the recommendation Yahtzee :-)

I was thinking about this earlier today while playing said trilogy, but him having mentioned it in this video prompts me to bring it up: I'm surprised Yahtzee hasn't done a retro review of the Metroid Prime games. He's often praised them in the past alongside games like the original Thief games or Half-Life, and those games got reviews while I've still yet to see one for the Primes.

Makes me wonder if he's got an aversion to doing so since they're Nintendo games and doesn't want to deal with the inevitable fracas that'll arise no matter what he says, or possibly because the third game as well as the trilogy compilation are examples of the Wii's motion controls done well and improving a game, while he's still keen to piss all over the concept.

This week, Yahtzee cleverly (or unwittingly) reveals to us the original inspiration for a Homestuck character of the same name ^^

...still waiting on Andrew Hussie's game to come out :I
I just hope it won't be "ironically" shitty like Namco High...which he just directed but whatever (I also haven't played it but feel perfectly entitled to speculate ^^)

When it DOES come out however, i can only hope Yahtzee will review it and rip it a new one >:D
...heard it might actually be halfway-decent though :/

So... Yahtzee is making proper reviews again?

Colour me surprised.

He should review Titan Fall next week, the review would probably be 10 seconds long. "I don't play multiplayer so there was no content, bye"

Strider was okay, but it would be better if it were a squad-based shooter.

P.S. Thanks

xynnia:

Two-A:

Abomination:

Actually he did, he said the words "If male" right after that, and they also appeared as text.

Was anyone else weirded out by the fact that pictures of dolphins were shown every time Yahtzee mentioned masturbation? Or is this a running gag I haven't caught onto?

Huh, I didn't catch that.

Dolphins are notoriously promiscous, there's a video that shows one masturbating with a dead fish.

Looks like Yahtzee is finding a new pet sub-genre: crazy ninja flip-out. First Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance, now this.

Curry pie, with chutney! And after playing Strider, I wish ChAIR/Epic would bloody well make a follow up to Shadow Complex.

Ever since Yahtzee's retro review of the Thief series on Zero Punctuation and his poem regarding his feelings on the reboot on Jim and Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular, I have been eagerly awaiting Thief 2014's release just to see him tear the game a new asshole (or arsehole as he would say.)

Judging by the mixed to negative reviews, and what I've seen of the terrible story that threw out the world built by Ben's beloved Ken Levine, I'd wager it may be a Duke Nukem Forever sized hole.

Next week can not come soon enough.

(Thinks this through)

So... if you're male, your balls turn into weapons (albeit ones you'd best remove and throw asap) but if you're female it turns into either a very big penis or a flagpole? Males get weapons, females get patriotism?

...I dun' geddit.

Thunderous Cacophony:
At what point do the exploding kunai (sp) show up? If they are as gamebreaking as he says, I hope it's not until very late in the game.

They show up about the halfway point. Either way the game sure as hell won't leave you bored anytime soon.
Plenty of replay value to this little treasure trove.

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

I don't see the logic in that...
No offense to you, but the Strider series has never been about "Tactical shooting" but rather, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden and any other side scrolling fast paced game with Metroidvania elements you can think of.

Putting it as such would more than likely just turn up another shameless sloppy and horribly made reboot.

So, in order to become a ninja, you have to master scrumping?.

Madara XIII:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

I don't see the logic in that...
No offense to you, but the Strider series has never been about "Tactical shooting" but rather, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden and any other side scrolling fast paced game with Metroidvania elements you can think of.

Putting it as such would more than likely just turn up another shameless sloppy and horribly made reboot.

Which Yahtzee would loathe, and no doubt make a hilarious video about. I don't think it'd be a good game, but it'd certainly make for an entertaining review. Trust me, I thought this through.

P.S. Thanks

Yahtzee's opening joke is ruined somewhat by the fact that "Hiryu" isn't a 2-syllable word pronounced phonetically similar to the words "here you", but rather a 3-syllable word pronounced "Hee-ree-you". Or is this one of those things where he can't be blamed because all of the voice actors (does the game have voice-overs?) pronounced his name wrong and nobody on the team thought to correct them?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here