Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Dark Syde

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Dark Syde

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

I'm so glad that shitting on DSP is now an industry wide pass time.

Oh Ben, you make it sound like a fairly dark story as always.
The ending only made it more enjoyable.

And Jim ... holy crap you almost made me spit out my soda, for it almost made me fall on the floor laughing, in a good way obviously. The accent was the best part of all, it sounded like a certain Youtuber, but I won't spoil it until we can all merrily chat about it in the comments ... and probably shit on him some more.

Another good week, and I shall enjoy the next one as well. :D

I enjoyed Yahtzee's bit, it certainly wouldn't be that great to have no criticism, then we wouldn't have the chance to listen to these two nuts.

And Jim......I liked the poem, I really did, the accent was good, but I have no idea what that was...

A world without criticism. Wouldn't that be a beautiful place? ...until it burns to the ground?

Bang on the button, as always. A good laugh was had.

Yahtzee's part was great as usual, but I think I'm missing something about Jim's.

Was it about 95% of "review" videos on youtube, or aimed at anyone in particular? Either way, it was funny.

This might help those who are stuck on the subject of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A

Jimothy Sterling:

I keep going back and forth: is it more sad or hilarious?

Jim's poem really sounds like me when the enemy charge up their lovely wands of lag compensation death upon me in shooters. Except I speak in a more English manner, obviously. Though I know it's about MGS.

Jimothy Sterling:

Ah, that was not what I thought it would be. I thought you were doing your David Cage voice (slightly off due to yelling) and the joke was that actual gameplay in videogames just confuses the hell out of him. The "like and subscribe" line does make a lot more sense now.

Even though Jim is spoofing a particular YouTuber, it still resembles like 80% of the internet. Ugh.

HA! Not sure if ya planned it, but today's poems work very well together.

One about no criticism, and one about BAD criticism. xD

Did you guys plan this?
At any rate, well done! :D

I like Yahtzee's poem. It's very clearly about the price of stamps.

Palademon:

I think there are a few people still not in on it.

canadamus_prime:
A world without criticism. Wouldn't that be a beautiful place? ...until it burns to the ground?

Honestly, it burning to the ground might be the pinnacle of beauty. I get the tenets of "don't be a dick," but the fact that constructive criticism or negative feedback is immediately considered caustic is a really big problem. Possisbly a bug in humanity, but I wouldn't want to be accused of playing it wrong.

I kinda thought Jim was talking about most reviewers in general, but I'm not surprised to hear it's specifically about DSP.

Arslan Aladeen:
I kinda thought Jim was talking about most reviewers in general, but I'm not surprised to hear it's specifically about DSP.

The title (The Dark Syde) is a pretty blatant giveaway. That being said, it took me a while to make the connection, but that's only because I've tried so hard to forget that DSP even exists. And now I have to crack open the emergency whiskey and start forgetting all over again....ugh.

*applause* Nice job on the accent, Jim! The poem was nicely put together and all but the performance iced the cake.

Jim Sterling speaking with an american accent my be the most horrifying thing I have ever heard.

Palademon:

It's kind of astonishing to me how widespread it's gotten.

I mean, the dude still only has about 150K subscribers. Nothing to scoff at, but by no means popular in the grand scheme of Youtube. I guess if you're terrible enough, you can break the bonds of conventional popularity.

Still, it's quite hilarious and fun to see even the more... "respectable" people taking shots at him.

I also like when Yahtzee does social commentary. Very interesting stuff.

Jimothy Sterling:

OK, thanks Jim, I'm now more informed on what this was about. I need to do more research into DSP to know whether he is genuinely really bad at a games, or just a really good troll. Either way, it seems to make money for him :/

Incoming DSP defenders....

Jim, please never do an American accent again. I beg you.

Eh, this weeks poems just didn't do it for me. Yahtzee's seemed way too blunt and snarky to end the way it did (maybe if it ended with a "Yeah. It's for you. You know who you are." that might have made it work for me) and Jim's was quite similar but I'm not sure what could be done to it to make it work for me. Sort of unusual that both would miss my range in the same week - maybe I should go out and buy a lottery ticket? Hmm.

Eh. No Adblock for me, so at least when I watched the video the Escapist go paid.

That American accent was amazing :)

A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYKKrCkF-c

StormShaun:
Oh Ben, you make it sound like a fairly dark story as always.
The ending only made it more enjoyable.

And Jim ... holy crap you almost made me spit out my soda, for it almost made me fall on the floor laughing, in a good way obviously. The accent was the best part of all, it sounded like a certain Youtuber, but I won't spoil it until we can all merrily chat about it in the comments ... and probably shit on him some more.

Another good week, and I shall enjoy the next one as well. :D

So he sounds like Onision and Lifeinatent?

canadamus_prime:

Some men would prefer to not be told they're wrong. Some men want to watch the world burn.

Jimothy Sterling:

o.o ...

I know not who this person is, but I have clear been missing nothing worthy of note if his 'act' (I assume its an act cause if its not I wonder how he's still alive) is rocking a style of humor that has pretty much killed my interest in big Hollywood comedy's.

IE: being as stupid as you can be to the point on not functioning.

I wonder if Yahtzee's poem has anything to do with the current debate in Australia and New Zealand around cyber bullying.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/the-australian-government-charlotte-s-law-tougher-cyber-bullying-legislation

Background: Charlotte Dawson was a TV presenter who suffered from depression and recently committed suicide. She was also the target of some fairly awful abuse on twitter.

As a result, some people feel there needs to be tougher laws on cyber-bullying, but there has also been a significant backlash against what other people feel is an unreasonable curtailment of freedom of speech.

Personally, while I feel bad for anyone dealing with the kind of harassment she experienced (and no, "she brought it on herself by being on twitter" is not a valid excuse), I think this kind of law is a gross over-reaction, and I wonder if Yahtzee feels the same.

Darth_Payn:

canadamus_prime:

Some men would prefer to not be told they're wrong. Some men want to watch the world burn.

I can't imagine who that would be. ___

Not only did Jim's American accent make me laugh, but the phrase "exploit buggy English" was particularly clever. :)

More. American. Accent. The world demands it. (Jim's native accent does still slip through on the "oo"s, though.)

Lunar Templar:

Jimothy Sterling:

o.o ...

I know not who this person is, but I have clear been missing nothing worthy of note if his 'act' (I assume its an act cause if its not I wonder how he's still alive) is rocking a style of humor that has pretty much killed my interest in big Hollywood comedy's.

IE: being as stupid as you can be to the point on not functioning.

Man, if he's faking it, then he deserves a lot of applause for being the most dedicated actor on the planet.

It's like, if you watch a couple of his videos, you'll think "Well obviously he's faking it, it's too audacious and exactly like somebody would exaggerate it to make fun of this kind of person."

And then you realize that this is how he acts all of the time. Every single video, on all social media, every day, even when somebody's talking about what it's like meeting him in person.. I don't think anybody could put up such a charade with such dedication for so long.

NerAnima:
I enjoyed Yahtzee's bit, it certainly wouldn't be that great to have no criticism, then we wouldn't have the chance to listen to these two nuts.

And Jim......I liked the poem, I really did, the accent was good, but I have no idea what that was...

Yahtzee's was dark. Jim's... I have no clue. Who was that supposed to be? Some Youtube personality that I haven't heard of?

Jimothy Sterling:

Oh I see.

Yeah... gotta say... the old proverb still stands here. If you have to explain the joke... Sorry. :(

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here