Movie Defense Force: Braindead - Kicking Zombie Arse ... For The Lord

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The clothing and haircut of the priest in that film remind me of Ted Crilly. And that's okay.

When I read the title, I was expecting "Movie Attack Force" instead :D The movie currently ranks at 86% at Rotten Tomatoes and it never occured to me that there was not much love for it. I saw it A LONG TIME ago and it was a cult classic for me and my friends at once... Ah... Good old times... :)

Thanks for the great defense, Jim!

I actually really love the stop-motion animation of the Rat Monkey in this movie. I don't know, there is just something so great about stop-motion, and I am sad that we don't get to see it more often in this age of CGI.

I don't know why people say it's bad. Is it cheap? Yeah, it is. Is it incredibly wacky and bizzare? Hell yes. And it's glorious.
And my fav is the Kung Fu Priest scene.
"I kick arse for the Lord!"

I guess this film required a divine intervention.

No one needs to defend Braindead. It's one of the greatest films ever made. Anyone who says different, answers to my flymo.

I need to see this. Right now.

Gods. I haven't seen braindead for over 20 years. I had totally forgotten about it. Yeah, weird that it got no love at the time. I remember it being panned but for the life of me I can't remember why.

Wow thank you, very nice video. You are right, for fans there is no defense needed, but there are so many people that just don't get it. I too have been enjoying Peter Jackson's films way before LotR. Another one that needs defending is, "Meet The Feebles". It's such a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGuABm-zKk

Usually I avoid making a comment unless I have something truly novel to say. But all I really want to bring to the table here is a resounding, echoing, bellowing "YES!" to pretty much the whole video.

So Jim, with all due reverence I say to you now... YES!!!

Thatīs Peter Jacksonīs best film.A solid, alltime classic, that doesnīt need to be defended.
If you want to look for a stepchild in his oeuvre, you should watch "The Frighteners", wich is a charming,
old style ghost spoof, but never got much attention.

And now I remember why I was never able to watch this movie all in one sitting. These clips alone made me very nauseas.

Still, it's definitely one of the more fun movies out there and like many have said I've never met someone that said this was bad in any way. Glad to see it continues to hold the rank of awesome.

If you're into gore at all, Braindead is kind of a landmark film because a) of just how gloriously over the top it goes and b) it veers wildly between the comically grotesque and the genuinely disturbing in way few films pull off. I worry that Peter Jackson's earliest films might be being forgotten, and that'd be a shame because the guy made some legit fucking classics (I especially love Heavenly Creatures and Bad Taste). That and the very idea of idiots dismissing this as "so bad it's good" means yes, this film does need defending. How depressing is that?

Thank God for you, Jimothy.

I grew up on horror movies, and Braindead and Bad Taste were some of my favourite movies as a kid.

Despite being a New Zealander, I haven't seen Braindead or Bad Taste... although I have seen Meet the Feebles...

Except Jim, the general consensus is that this film IS good. It legitimately does not need to be defended because it is considered an excellent work. Now, get to the 'Pink Flamingos' review already!

Yeah Braindead was a good one, most of the criticism you list for it does apply for Bad Taste though, an even earlier Peter Jackson movie, that isn't quite as clever, relying mostly on gore and gross out humor. A completely unapologetic splatter movie. Where the most memorable joke to me, is the alien eating human brains with a spoon.

Chuppi:
Thatīs Peter Jacksonīs best film.A solid, alltime classic, that doesnīt need to be defended.
If you want to look for a stepchild in his oeuvre, you should watch "The Frighteners", wich is a charming,
old style ghost spoof, but never got much attention.

I don't know, I've seen The Frighteners many times before, and it gets a showing at least a few times a year on television from my experience.

Meanwhile, this is the first time I've ever heard of this movie, and that disgusts me. One thing that was in the back of my mind was that there was a certain... sense to it when Jim said Simon Pegg took inspiration from this movie, it instantly clicked as to what the vibe I was feeling was.

Dear lord I hope this is on Netflix! If Elvis Versus Bubba hotep is on there, then this has to be!

I don't think I could stomach this one.

This one is a gem, I agree.

I agree with all of you, why would Braindead even need defense? It's a brilliant film. I also consider it the best romantic comedy ever. (That IS the genre, right?)

love it. its just hilarious. and yes, even today its still damn gory. i had to look nearly away but had to laugh at the same time as well because it was so over the top.

Interesting anecdote- I had a friend in high school who had t-shirt that graphically depicted Baby Selwyn's best and goriest scene. Anyone who's seen the movie will know which one I mean. Anyway, this kid made a special point of wearing that shirt every couple days. Now, our school doesn't have a strict uniform, but it does have an asshole principal who makes sure that the dress code in place is enforced to the letter. Anyone caught violating it is taken to the nurse's office and made to change the offending clothing with something from the stockpile of "inoffensive" clothes that he keeps. It's bullshit, is what I'm getting at.

And yet, never once in the better part of a decade that I knew him did my friend ever get asked to remove his Selwyn shirt.

Small mercies.

Oh, and, uh, yeah, good video Jim.

Itchi_da_killa:
Wow thank you, very nice video. You are right, for fans there is no defense needed, but there are so many people that just don't get it. I too have been enjoying Peter Jackson's films way before LotR. Another one that needs defending is, "Meet The Feebles". It's such a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGuABm-zKk

Nice I was going to suggest the same. Saw it back in college when I realized the LOTR guy was the one responsible for Dead Alive (the American title) which I saw back when I was a kid and wanted to see the others (Feebles and Bad Taste). Like Jim said with Braindead, I watched it expecting to just to be repeatable one-note joke, it's The Muppets show but with overly dark and offensive actions from the anthropomorphic puppets ranging from cursing to complete psychological homicidal meltdowns, and I was fine with that but I surprisingly came away with more. Namely that many of the characters, as overtly offensive as some are, become fleshed out with the story and I actually cared about them. Doubt everyone will think the movie is good or come away with the same thoughts, but again if your looking to watch something bizarre, dark, different, or just want to see where Peter Jackson began it's well worth your time.

Great review of this cult classic, Jim. But, you know, it makes me wonder if Peter Jackson will ever go back to do one of his bat-shit bizarre movie projects like Braindead. Does he have one more Bad Taste or Meet The Feebles left in him or has he left that part of his life behind for hits like Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?

Still, this is one zombie flick you need to add to your watch list. Although you may wanna keep a bucket handy if you've got a weak stomach. ^^;

Back in the early 90's, my brother decided to keep a death-count tally for the horror movies he was watching. He gave up counting while watching this movie.

If there's anything I feel you left out of the review, Jim, it's any mention of the lawnmower (though we do glimpse it) and how disturbingly Freudian the whole thing is, especially the 'boss' fight at the end.

Um, Jim old boy. Love to see you mention this movie but it in no way in HELL needs defending. It's great gory fun for the whole family!

This movie is the fine wine of gore and comedy (or Goreomedys) films.

This movie doesn't need defending, it's regarded as a cult classic (in the gore category)
It stands as proof that Peter Jackson could make movies before he ran away with the Hobbits and Elves!

I can't believe people who think Braindead is a bad movie know anything about cinema. This is HANDS DOWN Peter Jackson's best film (no joke here).

Mr Sterling you have to do AvP Requiem. Now that's a movie that needs saving. And you're the only one who can do it.

Mr. Q:
... it makes me wonder if Peter Jackson will ever go back to do one of his bat-shit bizarre movie projects like Braindead. Does he have one more Bad Taste or Meet The Feebles left in him or has he left that part of his life behind for hits like Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?

The scrotum beard of the goblin king in the first Hobbit film made me think back on when Jackson was into gore ;)

Fun fact : back when Gore really was a genre, the record for use of fake blood was owned by Re-animator with about 200-300 liters used during the shooting. Brainded pushed this limit to ten times more. A record that has never been contested since then.

Not only does this movie needs no saving : it is a historical landmark in the gore tradition.

cursedseishi:

Dear lord I hope this is on Netflix! If Elvis Versus Bubba hotep is on there, then this has to be!

Not streaming in my parts. I can get it on DVD which I'll do if a buddy I just EM'd doesn't already own it.

Amazon wants like $50 for it on DVD. Odd.

Man, imagine if LotR and The Hobbit were this gory. No CGI, just makeup and props. It would be glorious.

Gorfias:

cursedseishi:

Not streaming in my parts. I can get it on DVD which I'll do if a buddy I just EM'd doesn't already own it.

Amazon wants like $50 for it on DVD. Odd.

Maybe DVDs increase in value based on their rarity... unlike most other forms of technology.

Great video, Jim, but I might just suggest that with that much gore, perhaps an age restriction might have been appropriate?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here