Transformers: Age of Extinction Trailer Deconstructed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Transformers: Age of Extinction Trailer Deconstructed

The new trailer for Transformers: Age of Extinction shows a lot of promise and presents quite a few mysteries of where it's headed next.

Read Full Article

Why were there shell casings inside of Optimus Prime? Was he eating them? I know they won't explain it, but it would probably make much more sense if there were actually expended slugs and whatnot instead of the part that never gets fired.

As nice as the trailer looks, I'm not feeling it. I've been burned too many times by Bay and his Transformers movie to put any faith and/or trust into Age of Extinction. Judging from the posters and the trailer, it looks like the humans might be getting more screen time than the actual robots. The designs, despite the new versions of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, are pretty much the same mess from the first 3 movies. And just because the trailer doesn't show off the bad qualities of the past movies (the unnecessary humor, unlikeable characters, zero character development, the racist stereotypes, etc) doesn't mean it won't be in the movie. Trailers have the tendency of showing us what the studios want you to see rather than any major flaws it might have.

These are just my opinions and the final version of the film might prove me wrong. Until then, I'm not gonna get excited for a trailer that may only be giving us false hopes and empty promises.

I feel a strange...emptiness...where my loathing used to be.

You know what? Bob... I am with you.

Granted, the previous Transformers movies were hardly classics (or even good), but I never understood the loath people had with this image:

Huh...
I've only seen the last 2 Transformers movies because of Rifftrax.
But I might actually watch this one on it's own.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

walsfeo:
Why were there shell casings inside of Optimus Prime? Was he eating them? I know they won't explain it, but it would probably make much more sense if there were actually expended slugs and whatnot instead of the part that never gets fired.

I was getting that feeling too. Most people don't actually know the difference between a bullet slug and its casing. The casing stays in the gun guys, it is not what is shot out the barrel! So long as Michael Bay doesn't make that mistake (which he SHOULD know better, being a military fan) I'll forgive him for whatever cheasy reason he gives, because robot dinosaurs.

Three things I took from this trailer:

1)--Bay is getting less subtle about his disregard for this franchise, if "We don't need you anymore!" being emphasized in the trailer is any indication. Not that we needed any reminding but Bay only got this gig because Hollywood thought if anyone would get a kick out of a franchise like this it would be the wartoy-fetishizing man-child that is Michael Bay. Even if he doesn't phone in his directorial efforts, I expect to see more "military does it better" and "get over these goddamn robots" mantras being spouted at me in the finished film.

2)--I anticipate Mark Wahlberg's character to be less dorky teenager and more dorky nostalgia-obsessed over-30 man-child to be ironically appealing to the fans who did the most complaining about this franchise. Bay likely set out to make Cade(!!!) into a kind of parody of all those guys who grew up with Transformers, but it will have the reverse effect of making him really popular with said nostalgia fans.

3)--I have the shaking suspicion that Grimlock does not speak or transform in this film. He's just a quasi-sentient T-rex robot like the scorpion from the first films.

Ultimately, play the Cybertron series of Transformers (War For and Fall Of, specifically). In fact, here's the trailer that they released for Fall of Cybertron. Bay's movie suddenly seems like the over-hyped Triple A nonsense gamers complain about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1N91LyATF0

Sorry, but no; fuck everything about this film. It will take the resurrection of Christ and Budda and their personal guarantee that this movie is good for me to even consider spending money or time on it.

I'd love me some Omega Prime. Autobots need to start kicking some ass. Looks like Opitimus isn't afraid to take some humans down in this Transformers movie.

Yep, looks just like the other three (which for me is a good thing btw). Only this time the protagonist is one of my favorite actors. Can't wait for this film.

Edit: Though I should say Grimlock better play a bigger role than the giant T-rex Prime destroys. Him and his team are the coolest Transformers

I'm gonna need more than an alright looking trailer before I give any transformers movie the time of day!

actually Bob, its been confirmed that gunface is the character Lockdown, originally introduced in "Transformers Animiated" as a bounty hunter not specifically aligned with either the autobots or decepticons, and took weapons and tools from his catches as trophys to upgrade himself with.

Galvatron has been confirmed to be this guy
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/e/e7/AOEGalvatron.jpg/350px-AOEGalvatron.jpg

If they follow the route in the original cartoon movie I can confirm this movie is going to be awesome. Bumblebee likely filling the Hotrod role.

Damn, I'm actually pretty stoked for this movie. Looks like Bay may have known he dropped the ball in previous iterations and has decided just to go for it.

I don't want to be the downer here, but I'm willing to bet the Dinobots have been on Earth since the age of the actual Dinosaurs and were here keeping an watchful eye on the planet to see how it was going to evolve. The extinction of the dinosaurs was actually caused by Decepticons that were worried that dinosaurs were about to evolve into a higher form of consciousness so they decided to destroy them before they could and send the Earth back millions of years in evolutionary terms.

I'm sorry but that's the sort of cheese that you just come to expect in a movie like this.

I actually suspect that the villain is Scorpinok. The space ship looks like a giant scorpion.

I can't judge the film by the trailer because for all his faults Bay does make really nice trailers. When something has to be short and to the point like a trailer does then Bay finds a way to shine.

But then full length films are filled all sorts of padding because either he doesn't understand the concept of cutting stuff for a better flow or his ego is just so massive he thinks everything he shoots is worth being in a film. The bad humor and horrible stereotypes also don't make it into the trailers, but ouch he seems happy to put such cringe worthy stuff in the movies.

I would love to be wrong and this was a well written film without needless padding that had interesting characters and great film villains, but after three films of overpowered Autobots and Team America stomp all over paper tiger Decepticons I get the feeling it's another film where the trailers are better than the finished film.

I'm getting closer to saying their are no actual Dinobots in the movie. Rather we're dealing with Predicons. There might be a Predicon called Dinobot, but not an actual Dinobot called Grimlock.

CHAD YEAGER? Why did you yell that so many times, Bob? What's special about that name?

walsfeo:

I imagine it might happen if Optimus is in a tough fight and ends up on his back then fires his gun in a way that the ejected casings land on his chest. Then he transforms and his chest ends up being the interior with casings inside.

Then he powers down until Marky Mark defibrillates him, and now it's the movie.

SnakeoilSage:
Ultimately, play the Cybertron series of Transformers (War For and Fall Of, specifically). In fact, here's the trailer that they released for Fall of Cybertron. Bay's movie suddenly seems like the over-hyped Triple A nonsense gamers complain about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1N91LyATF0

It's a shame because now his movies have infected the games as well, the next one is a parallel worlds thing in which the Fall of Cybertron guys (still on Cybertron despite the last game) meet up and/or interact with the Bay-formers. It's not even being made by High Moon now >_< So it would seem I can't even enjoy a Transformers game franchise continuing without this stuff... It's called Rise of the Dark Spark... Eugh.

I don't like the films, but I don't bug those that do. I just liked having some good games come out that were the kind of modern Transformers I wanted, not sure I want the next game now.

medv4380:
I'm getting closer to saying their are no actual Dinobots in the movie. Rather we're dealing with Predicons. There might be a Predicon called Dinobot, but not an actual Dinobot called Grimlock.

actually, it's confirmed that these are the dinobots. we so far know of 5, 2 returning from the G1 team (Grimlock, who we do see in the trailer, and slag (who's recent appearances have renamed him slug since in the U.K., slag is a slang term that more or less means the same thing as slut). 3 new dinobots are strafe (the two headed guy we see in the trailer)scorn and slash. we only have official knowledge that Grimlock and strafe are showing up in the film though, the knowledge of the other 3 coming from recent reveals of the movie toyline

You know, it's a good thing I'm not an Autobot. After defending the planet three separate times, only to be hunted down and murdered like that, I would have walked up to the bad guy and said, "All yours, man. Just let me get my trailer off of this planet, and then you can go to town. Have fun."

This movie does look good, although I'm curious (like so many others) to see how the Dino-bots fit into all of this. In this one, Optimus is fighting the T-Rex, yet in others, he is riding it. So...does he recognize Optimus as leader after their fight?

Ok I wasn't aware of the latest trailer until now. It's an intereting premier which I admit I want to know how they going to mention the character Sam (I doubt that he didn't give a toss for the government hunting the Autobots now)? Also man the Autobot are sure selfless since if I were them I would of view the humans are all scum now cos of the backstab.

Also it look like either Grimlock and Optimus battle it out for leadership (we know what Grimlock is like) or Optimus is going to tame him.

Grimh:
Huh...
I've only seen the last 2 Transformers movies because of Rifftrax.
But I might actually watch this one on it's own.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think I would have been able to watch the other 2 w/o Rifftrax. I don't get people that say they just watch it for the giant robot action when almost half the movies seemed to be a bunch of teenage growing 'comedy' BS in the form of Shia's story line.

Yeah, sorry Bob, you are getting duped again. All the red flags are there.

Clearly establishing a "we don't need these robots" stance coupled with the ubiquitous scene of our stars hiding behind cover while battle debris flies around them (you would think he would get tired of going to that well) pretty much guarantees that we will be dealing with more of Bay's idea of human drama with occasional scenes of nonsensical robot mashing spliced in.

75% of this movie will likely be about the father daughter relationship and how the daughter gains respect for Marky Mark when he gets roped into the conflict because the Transformers themselves couldn't possibly deal with McGuffin 47 on their own.

I didn't watched 2 or 3 to know what caused Optimus Prime to revert to the flat nose truck he was always supposed to be...

But he still has a mouth. So this movie is going to suck.

And that's just science.

edit:

TiberiusEsuriens:

The casing stays in the gun guys

False.

They do leave the gun... just... out the side... rather than the barrel.

The guy emerging from the smoke with his own personal ship who's upper body turns in to a gun is Lockdown.

He began as an oc character created for the Transformers Animated (that was literally its title) TV series. The guy is a bounty hunter and essentially a part and weapon collector obsessed with upgrading and modifying himself. Not a scavenger mind you, he literally captures cybertronians, tortures them for fun and if they have anything he wants he keeps that part either replacing a limb or weapon or having it in storage for later use.

Unlike Swindle he doesn't sell his parts, he's literally just a collector. I almost interpret him as a parody of the often psychotic level of madness many tf collectors undergo themselves to find/acquire the figures they want. Trust me I'm not exaggerating as I post regularly on the tfw2005 boards. Some tf fans are just NUTS.

The reason I've explained all this is because their is almost no chance at all Bay will do any of this with the character. He's one of few TF villains with actual depth, like the modern comic incarnations of Overlord, Megatron and Shockwave and I'm sure it will go ignored.

Galvatron could be the white guy covered in tubes that was seen in the super bowl trailer slicing a car in half but perhaps Bay is actually leaving his reveal for the movie itself. Which would be an amazing level of restraint for him.

Grimlock still pisses me off, not because of his redesign since its a decently cool looking robo dinosaur but because he has no color whatsoever and I hope that changes in the movie at some point. Even the new toy of him looks much nicer because it isn't entirely gunmetal grey. And it transforms so hopefully he does in the movie too.

Tumedus:

Clearly establishing a "we don't need these robots" stance coupled with the ubiquitous scene of our stars hiding behind cover while battle debris flies around them (you would think he would get tired of going to that well) pretty much guarantees that we will be dealing with more of Bay's idea of human drama with occasional scenes of nonsensical robot mashing spliced in.

75% of this movie will likely be about the father daughter relationship and how the daughter gains respect for Marky Mark when he gets roped into the conflict because the Transformers themselves couldn't possibly deal with McGuffin 47 on their own.

honestly, the idea of a human-centric story thats nested into the larger battle isn't that bad of an idea

its just...the last 2 movies had to deal with the worst two actors with the worst chemistry imaginable. If we can get some decent people in it, it shouldn't be too bad

I love TF Wiki. The captions are hilarious.

anth5:

Galvatron has been confirmed to be this guy
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/e/e7/AOEGalvatron.jpg/350px-AOEGalvatron.jpg

See, that's the issue with Bayformers - I can easily mistake that design to be Megatron or something.

Sniper Team 4:
You know, it's a good thing I'm not an Autobot. After defending the planet three separate times, only to be hunted down and murdered like that, I would have walked up to the bad guy and said, "All yours, man. Just let me get my trailer off of this planet, and then you can go to town. Have fun."

I'd be all; Hey Megatron, truce. The humans hate us more than you. Let's join forces to show them what the score is.

i actually rather enjoy the three first movies. This one promise to be very good !

I watched the trailer 3 times and I didn't see any robot ballz or robots peeing on people or anything? Not even an apparent fart joke? are we sure this is a Transformers movie? They're not like faking us out and giving as a Pacific Rim sequel or something instead are they?

undeadsuitor:

Tumedus:

honestly, the idea of a human-centric story thats nested into the larger battle isn't that bad of an idea

its just...the last 2 movies had to deal with the worst two actors with the worst chemistry imaginable. If we can get some decent people in it, it shouldn't be too bad

I think people have developed such a general dislike for Shia and Ms. Fox that they forget how many other atrocious performances were in those movies (plus its worth noting the last one had a different female and was still bad). The parents, section 7, Can't Buy me Love, the President, Hackers, etc. Apart from the military guys which are idolized to near 300 levels of ridiculousness (convenient timing on that), every human character is terrible, even when played by decent actors.

The problem is Bay. And I don't care how consistently pleasant Wahlberg can be, even in bad movies, he isn't going to be able to elevate the kind of dialog that Bay puts forward.

I wonder if the Transformers franchise is gonna go the route of the Fast & Furious franchise where the movies keep on getting more excessively ridiculous and nonsensical than they turn around and become some of the greatest things to see that summer.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here