Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Review - Auron You Glad It's In HD?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

*Grits teeth* WANT TO BE ANGRY AT PUN BUT IT'S ACTUALLY A GOOD PUN! *takes deep breath*

As my first Final Fantasy game, I can't honestly say I HATE X, because mechanically speaking it's one of my favorite games in the series as far as the combat is concerned, BUT I can still say the plot is dumb (But not full on rage worthy) and the character designs range from pretty good to pretty lulzy. It's sequel just leaves me so ambivalent, the combat system is actually pretty good, swapping classes on the fly is awesome, but that plot is just terrible.

I guess they're remaking it to Tidus over.

Your move, Jim. Your move.

sky14kemea:

Only one reaction to that joke.

"Wakka Wakka!"

Jimothy Sterling:

sky14kemea:

"Wakka Wakka!"

Ha! Just let me know if you'd like to Seymour.

sky14kemea:

Jimothy Sterling:

sky14kemea:

"Wakka Wakka!"

I've Sin all I need to see.

sky14kemea:

Jimothy Sterling:

sky14kemea:

"Wakka Wakka!"

Stop it! This pun war has to end! I obJECHT to this abomination!

Jimothy Sterling:

sky14kemea:

Jimothy Sterling:

"Wakka Wakka!"

I've Sin all I need to see.

I guess we're both Maesters on this subject.

sky14kemea:
Snip

Jimothy Sterling:
Snip

Yuna guys, this conversation isn't really on-topic.

OT: I've been really excited for this re-release for some reason. Over the past few weeks I've gone back through all of the Playstation-era Final Fantasy games and, with the exception of the hilarious character models in VII and the obvious translation issues, I think X is the one that has aged the worst. It still looks pretty good as a game from its time and looks better than even a lot of PC games from the time (those character models were damn fine for 2001), but just playing it feels more tedious than playing IX or XII because of the ugly UI, and the first step into true 3D leaves a bit to be desired compared to the pre-rendered backgrounds of the earlier games.

Why do I have to wait another week? D:

klaynexas3:

sky14kemea:

Jimothy Sterling:

"Wakka Wakka!"

Stop it! This pun war has to end! I obJECHT to this abomination!

Damn it, you Besaid what I was gonna say next!

I wonder why they didn't bring it to the 360. Guess only the shitty final fantasies go on that.

shrekfan246:

sky14kemea:
Snip

Jimothy Sterling:
Snip

Yuna guys, this conversation isn't really on-topic.

Al Bhed it keeps going for the first page of this thread.

OT: Can't wait to get this when it arrives! :D Nice review!

loa:
I wonder why they didn't bring it to the 360. Guess only the shitty final fantasies go on that.

Burned.

Will definitely be getting the ps3 version though, after what was said of the soundtrack; I love the music through the whole thing.
Also I don't own a vita, which may have something to do with it

loa:

Sour is them grapes!

Jimothy Sterling:

loa:

Sour is them grapes!

You taught me well after all, mr lemon!

Jimothy Sterling:
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

loa:

such salt, much angry, wow

---
Thankee for review Jimothy. I myself have been waiting for this remake since its announcement last year and was displeased when the estimated August '13 release turned into "we dunno, lol \(_o)/ ". You mentioned that you can't review X-2 because of downloadable etc etc, are you still going to review it when it becomes available?

I've never admitted it in polite company, but I downright love FFX. I felt it balanced linear storytelling and cimeatics with enough freedom to make you feel like the world wasn't claustrophobic. I loved the battle system, the sphere grid, blitzball, and even the atrocious voice acting. I know some thought the plot was dumb, but I enjoyed the way the mysteries of the church were revealed and the very believable separation that technology caused among the people. I also really liked the Al Bhed language puzzles. About the only part that I found annoying were those damned cloister puzzles.

In short, I love FFX, even if it can't really rest along side FFVI, FFIV, and Chrono Trigger. If my love of X isn't enough to garner me some hate, I'll also admit I think FFVII's main plot is twice as dumb as any idea in X's.

Jim please watch out for assassination attempts by spoony's fans.

I bought final fantasy 10 second hand a while ago and so far I like it especially the combat, I do find it odd that everybody always complains about tidus's voice actor since yuna's voice actor is much worse.

This game was alright, but I personally liked 13 better but only slightly. 13 and 10 only had okay stories, but 13 had a better balance with a neat and fun combat system and mostly good character development. This helped out since that even though 10 had a great battle system mostly, the characters extremely lacked character development

Overall, this is what I cam out with:

FF10:
Okay story
Great combat
very lacking character development (Auron, Yuna and to an extent Lulu)

FF13
Okay story
neat and fun combat
Mostly good character development (Lightning, Sazh, Fang and Hope)

Best not to recall any of their direct sequels since the characters are far weaker and the story retcons the original despite the greatly improved combat systems to both. =/

loa:

It's because Sony owns the rights to FF10. That's why we never see a post 7 era FF game on the Nintendo DS or 3DS (like FF7-FF13). It's also the same reason why Nintendo does not get any main FF game in the future. Xbox does not get it because it was not originally made for such a system.

I liked FFX. Not nearly as much as IX, but still, it was a very good game in it's own right. Although I probably won't get the HD version right now.

Also, normally, I'd be kinda annoyed at how they make it so that you need to download X-2. But then I remembered "Hey! I hated X-2! No big loss on my part!"

Jimothy Sterling:
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

While normally I agree with much of what you say and I do indeed thank god for you, this is one that I want to pick at. You mentioned in your review that you felt that FFX was the beginning of the downward spiral of the FF franchise...if you ask me, that spiral started back with 7. Not that FF7 wasn't a good game, I just don't think it was God's Gift to Gaming (that's a title you, good sir, hold :P) that everyone says it is.

And while I'd love to get into a full-fledged debate over the merits and faults of FFX, I'd like to just pick at one thing in particular from the review since I'm certain you're a very busy man (though I'd be happy to get into a more extended conversation/debate about the game if you'd really like).

an engrossing leveling system

Please explain to me how you found the level-up system in FFX to be engrossing...and not just a big charade to over-complicate the usual linear leveling system that most RPG's have. Why bother with the sphere grid at all? Is it not just padding? It's not like there's an overwhelming amount of choice in the matter...you just following along with the path that a character is given. Sure, every now and then you get spheres that unlock paths into other character's territory but...for what purpose? Why not simply use the character that has already mastered all the Black Magic spells? Or maybe you just really can't stand the sight of Wakka's hair and as such would much rather have Auron using the skills in Wakka's tree.

Quite simply it's a gimmick. It makes you think you have choice, makes you think it's "engrossing", but really you're just leveling up along a set path...just like in previous FF titles.

Edit: Meant to also mention that the Sphere Grid is essentially no different than the Crystarium from FFXIII, which was the over-all point that I was trying to get at to go against you mentioning in your review that no other FF game has a system like the Sphere Grid.

Wish I had a Vita. I would love to go back and replay this. Come to think of it, I may have stopped playing right before the final boss. Always had this bad habit with FF games, where I would get to the end, then go and try to do everything possible and get all the items first.

Closest thing I can think of that is similar to the sphere leveling, is PoE's passive tree.

Man I hated this game. Still do really. I just couldn't enjoy this story, and disliked the main character. The only redeeming quality that Tidus had was that his death was actually well done. The idea that such a happy-go-lucky lead had a tragic ending was a dramatic point that served the story well.

Then X-2 came along and turned the women into Barbie dress-up caricatures worthy of DC's "New 52." So no, I am not breaking any doors down to play the HD remake of this game; especially considering it took me 2 years to muddle through them.

FFX probably has the best combat in the entire franchise except, maybe, for Tactics. I really, really wish the ATB system had stayed dead, in place of FFX's system. The character-swapping added a lot of depth to the game, too.

Was never overly keen on its story, but it wasn't bad (on a minute-to-minute basis at least) and the game was so much fun to actually play that I didn't mind. I only wish the dungeons were a bit more interesting to explore. The temples were all quite fun, though; the puzzles weren't too difficult but were still satisfying to solve. It would have been nice to see some more of that in the combat-driven dungeons, too.

Eh, I played this when it came out. It was never as compelling to me as it was to seemingly everyone else. It ends up just boring so often. The aesthetic was always bleh. But... now that this is out of the way, can I have a re-release of Final Fantasy XII now? That one is my second favorite of all time.

RJ 17:

Please explain to me how you found the level-up system in FFX to be engrossing...and not just a big charade to over-complicate the usual linear leveling system that most RPG's have. Why bother with the sphere grid at all? Is it not just padding? It's not like there's an overwhelming amount of choice in the matter...you just following along with the path that a character is given. Sure, every now and then you get spheres that unlock paths into other character's territory but...for what purpose? Why not simply use the character that has already mastered all the Black Magic spells? Or maybe you just really can't stand the sight of Wakka's hair and as such would much rather have Auron using the skills in Wakka's tree.

Quite simply it's a gimmick. It makes you think you have choice, makes you think it's "engrossing", but really you're just leveling up along a set path...just like in previous FF titles.

Edit: Meant to also mention that the Sphere Grid is essentially no different than the Crystarium from FFXIII, which was the over-all point that I was trying to get at to go against you mentioning in your review that no other FF game has a system like the Sphere Grid.

Sounds like someone didn't try the expert grid..

There may not be an "overwhelming amount of choice" in the normal one, but there is some choice. Let's say you went up to hastaga with tidus, then used a friend sphere over to Lulu to grab the more powerful black magic nodes (that she has been working her way over to) to have more options during battle.
Sure you can follow the path that is kinda there, but you can also jump around and make whatever you want. Like sending Yuna up the Auron path because... can. Slapping someone with a staff and dealing 9999 damage is quite funny.

Also I want to point out that there is a rather notable difference between the grid and Crystarium systems. You can jump around on the grid, change nodes and tailor to your needs, you can't do that in FFXIII.
Also the Crystarium is heavily tied to your story progress, as it gives accsess to more after boss fights. This also is true for the 1-4 Key Spheres, but you are given a choice as to what you want to use them for.

They are similar, sure, but saying they are the same is a bit of a stretch imo.

The pun war at the start of this thread is honestly better than FFX was.

RJ 17:

an engrossing leveling system

While it might not completely undo your points, you should consider that this remaster also includes everything from the International version, which includes the Expert Sphere Grid. Characters start off a lot closer on the grid, and the locks between the grids are reduced and makes it much more open. So it's not really the Sphere Grid you probably played originally.

It's a shame you reviewed the Vita version, do you know if the PS3 version is a download-only code for FFX-2?

The whole reason I buy these collections is NOT to have to download shit.
-I live in a small town that only in the last 6 months got one of them fancy 'traffic lights' for the MAIN 3-Way!

Rattja:

RJ 17:

Sounds like someone didn't try the expert grid..

There may not be an "overwhelming amount of choice" in the normal one, but there is some choice. Let's say you went up to hastaga with tidus, then used a friend sphere over to Lulu to grab the more powerful black magic nodes (that she has been working her way over to) to have more options during battle.
Sure you can follow the path that is kinda there, but you can also jump around and make whatever you want. Like sending Yuna up the Auron path because... can. Slapping someone with a staff and dealing 9999 damage is quite funny.

Also I want to point out that there is a rather notable difference between the grid and Crystarium systems. You can jump around on the grid, change nodes and tailor to your needs, you can't do that in FFXIII.
Also the Crystarium is heavily tied to your story progress, as it gives accsess to more after boss fights. This also is true for the 1-4 Key Spheres, but you are given a choice as to what you want to use them for.

They are similar, sure, but saying they are the same is a bit of a stretch imo.

Not that guy, but the Sphere Grid was overall inferior to the Crystalithium. The Sphere Grid had no sense of grinding or accomplishment. Yeah FF13 had a linear grid, but normal leveling up is very linear (lv 1-100). Bleeding the Sphere Grids together didn't really help either because you were just left with a boring system that was tacked on just like the Lithium Orbs in Tales of Xillia.

The Crystalithium was integrated into the leveling up system and provided a sense of grinding. It also made you feel like you were accomplishing something and that you were making the character level up instead of just filling in the blanks like the Sphere Grid. Each character was able to have their own unique attributes instead of just interconnecting everybody's like FF10 did.

It was because of this that I wound up spamming Holy throughout the last part of FF10, where in FF13 I was utilizing much more like buffs and debuffs, lesser magic to build up the stagger meter and changing the different job classes.

Tanis:
It's a shame you reviewed the Vita version, do you know if the PS3 version is a download-only code for FFX-2?

The whole reason I buy these collections is NOT to have to download shit.
-I live in a small town that only in the last 6 months got one of them fancy 'traffic lights' for the MAIN 3-Way!

PS3 versions have X and X-2 on one disc.

I wonder how many people will bring up Spoony's reviews here...
*looks up*
Oh, lookie. They already did. Well, I'm late to the game, I suppose.

As for the game... I never played it. I played practically all the FF games up till FFIX, but I never had a PS2 so everything after that was lost on me. Most of what I know of FFX comes from the aforementioned Spoony reviews (or rather rippings), so I do not make a judgment on the game since he gave the same treatment to FFVIII as well, which happens to be one of my old nostalgic favorites and I could see him completely misunderstanding basic characterization and plot-points in that game to the point where I am actually not taking any of his "reviews" seriously and treat them as what they are: caustic entertainment shows.

So yeah, FFX... If it comes out on PC, I might think about playing it, otherwise it's really not on my radar.

I never played FFX but Sphere Grid sounds a bit like grid of progression for Path of Exile characters.

Also I wish the review featured a picture of updated HD PC talking to non-HD NPC, because in words it is quite hard to imagine the gap between those.

Why are you all so stupid? FFX did not have bad voice acting. It had poor writing. That is the only reason they have the famous HA HA HA HA HA HA HA scene.

Anyway, the remake doesn't really seem HD to me. Disappointment.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here