Titanfall Review - Mechs and the City

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Titanfall Review - Mechs and the City

It's not the "revolution" some say it is, but boy is it a thrill ride.

Read Full Article

inb4 accusations of Xbox fanboyism for giving a good score to an Xbox game and how giving 4/5 stars = "a bad score".

Anyway, excellent review, Jimmy boy.

I would be playing it, but sadly, my sister owns the 360 now and I do not own an Xbone. I'm planning on picking it up for PC during the summer after I build my first PC. It should be quite enthralling. And when I'm playing on PC, I will get the benefit of higher framerate and higher fidelity. So that's always neat. Until then, I will be waiting for InFamous: Second Son to come out later this month. The PS4's been collection some good amount of dust lately.

neonsword13-ops:
I'm planning on picking it up for PC during the summer after I build my first PC. It should be quite enthralling. And when I'm playing on PC, I will get the benefit of higher framerate and higher fidelity. So that's always neat.

It is, enjoy:)

I'm not much for online shooters but I may give this one a try.

Pretty much in line with my own thoughts. Very fun and engaging, but more notable for everything it puts together in one extremely solid polished package than for anything it necessarily does that's totally unique. Maybe not revolutionary, but definitely evolutionary and I think other multiplayer competitive shooters are going to have a very hard time competing.

From what I've seen, it looks like fun.

Sadly, the system requirements make my poor, outdated, long suffering stalwart of a PC curl up in a corner and cry.

played it right after the countdown. had so far a blast after playing it for an hour. even when i kept loosing every round but i dint care. i just fun and thats what matters to me.

I will say that this game does have my interests. I might actually consider making an Origin account to play this game because everything I've seen is interesting. This is coming from someone who doesn't generally like online multiplayer, or really multiplayer games at all really.

Zhukov:

Sadly, the system requirements make my poor, outdated, long suffering stalwart of a PC curl up in a corner and cry.

It ran on my 5 year old system :P ... at medium-high settings

Maybe you can try it anyway, might actually work?

Good review, it does look like it won't disappoint.

Charcharo:

Zhukov:

I was surprised how well my machine ran it in the beta, when I wasn't having connection and ping issues.

Just hope they get some servers up for us in NZ/AUS, lumping us in with southeast Asia connection wise is rough...

Good review, Jim.

I am legitimately interested now. The biggest problem I've had with CoD is the ever increasingly complicated maps. It almost seems like the maps are getting more and more "camper" friendly with every iteration. Gosh, I miss the days of CoD 4...

Charcharo:

Zhukov:

Nah.

It says it requires the 64 bit version of windows.

I have 32 bit installed and I'm unable to upgrade because my DVD drive is broken.

Reminds me of Shadowrun. Me and a buddy were so pissed. $60 and no single player. There's just too many online shooters already for this to make me interested.

Let me know when PS4 gets its first Uncharted game.

Recommendation: Does punching a robot with your robot sound like a good time?

Yes, but the Pacific Rim fighting game sucked regardless.

Even if you list all the game's other qualities, it doesn't help the fact that it's online-only. In other words, something that amounts to a brick once the servers die off... or just flat-out die. Also, I have what's called a "life" wherein I need to pause regularly, so an online title that requires constant, undivided attention for extended periods is impractical and intrusive.

I'll admit that certain aspects do look somewhat enjoyable, but nothing that's worth $60 in my book.

Zhukov:

Charcharo:

Zhukov:

Nah.

I have 32 bit installed and I'm unable to upgrade because my DVD drive is broken.

You don't need a DVD drive. You could make a bootable USB stick with the Windows ISO on it. Microsoft has released all the ISOs online. Just make sure you have a 64 bit compatible CPU and a valid 64 bit license.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I'm not aware of any reason why this method shouldn't work. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't one. While I know my way around a computer, I'm by no means an expert. I therefore suggest further research into the matter.

The Great Fungus:

Zhukov:

Charcharo:

Nah.

You don't need a DVD drive. You could make a bootable USB stick with the Windows ISO on it. Microsoft has released all the ISOs online. Just make sure you have a 64 bit compatible CPU and a valid 64 bit license.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I'm not aware of any reason why this method shouldn't work. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't one. While I know my way around a computer, I'm by no means an expert. I therefore suggest further research into the matter.

Yeah, I've been looking into that. WIll probably give it a try.

Although knowing my luck with computers it will probably all end in tears and shards of molten motherboard.

Kimarous:

Even if you list all the game's other qualities, it doesn't help the fact that it's online-only. In other words, something that amounts to a brick once the servers die off... or just flat-out die. Also, I have what's called a "life" wherein I need to pause regularly, so an online title that requires constant, undivided attention for extended periods is impractical and intrusive.

I'll admit that certain aspects do look somewhat enjoyable, but nothing that's worth $60 in my book.

Nice jab at people that play online games there. Real classy.

On topic!

I'm really sad about this honestly. I want to play the game because it looks like a ton of fun, but I refuse to support those douchebags Zampella and West. Though I guess at this point I'd only be supportin Zampella, but its hard to figure out which of the two was the bigger douchebag between them.

Maybe when its on some super reduced cost I'll snag it up, but even that feels a bit iffy considerin I'd still be giving money to Zampella in the end, even if its a fraction of what it would be at full price.

ONLY 4 STARS FUCK YOU JIM BLARGH

Would be interested to find out if there's any tearing on the pc version - though I won't be getting it until the price goes way down.

Kimarous:

Gorfias:
Reminds me of Shadowrun. Me and a buddy were so pissed. $60 and no single player. There's just too many online shooters already for this to make me interested.

I was just wondering. Do you two jump in to threads about inherently single player games and bemoan that there's no multiplayer?
Do you maybe subscribe to the idea that not every game (Second son for eg.) needs multiplayer? (and maybe frown when a publisher shoe-horns multiplayer in to a title that blatantly never needed it)

Do you go in to other multiplayer only games threads such as... dunno, Loadout, Planetside 2, Hearthstone, Guild Wars 2 etc. and bring up the same points?

///

I'm really glad I got to play the beta because that's actually when I was more-or-less sure I was going to buy this game and the reviews aren't pointing out any downsides yet.
Sure when the masses arrive (me amidst them) server might be shaky, but it all seems pretty smooth at the moment.

Zhukov:

The Great Fungus:

Zhukov:

Nah.

Yeah, I've been looking into that. WIll probably give it a try.

Although knowing my luck with computers it will probably all end in tears and shards of molten motherboard.

Don't forget to check if your hardware is even able to handle newer Windows versions. Microsoft offers apps that let you see if your system can run Windows 7 or 8. I tried installing 8 on an ancient PC I still had lying around and wasn't able to get past the formatting. Should have checked it before I wrecked it.

bunnielovekins:
ONLY 4 STARS FUCK YOU JIM BLARGH

Would be interested to find out if there's any tearing on the pc version - though I won't be getting it until the price goes way down.

Well, there's always tearing when your FPS output doesn't match your screen's refresh rate, no matter the game. V-sync does help there but it also reduces your frame rate.

MonkeyPunch:

I'm really glad I got to play the beta because that's actually when I was more-or-less sure I was going to buy this game and the reviews aren't pointing out any downsides yet.

Same here. This game wasn't even on my radar before I signed up for the "open" PC-beta. Now I can't wait for it to be released in my region.

Reading it's like Call of Duty bugs me a bit-

The thing that makes Call of Duty what it is- is the killstreaks, these unmanned buffs that players get, with the higher ones being reserved for higher kills meaning the better players/better map remember-ers get to just suck in more and more kills because of their increasingly better unmanned kill machines while they are running around shooting as well at players often distracted by powerful killing machines above.

Yes Titans are giant monsters but they need a pilot to help them either inside or out or they're screwed, and EVERYONE GETS ONE. And they're not battle ruling- you don't just get 2 guns as a pilot, you get your primary, secondary and an anti-titan weapon- as in you have to take one. On top of that you can ride on the back of one, rip off a bit of metal and shoot at the mech's core- allowing you to bypass the regenerating shields and damage the armor directly. You can hack enemy robots or turrets to shoot at them as well, yes they're less effective than a pilot, but they do damage and distract, allowing you to do more damage.

Or hell, just call your titan down...on theirs and it's gone. So you are always involved with them or they'll be destroyed and now you're waiting another 3 minutes or so for another titan to ready up.

CoD you always had to have a class with an alt gun to shoot down killstreaks and even then you needed some form of teamwork...which simply doesn't work out well all the time.

Yes the guns are hitscan, but most games do that anyway as it's easier on server load, so it's nothing new, nothing CoD invented.

I went in expecting to hate it, I got a beta key and was like "ehh...it's gonna be like CoD where I just get annoyed at gunships appearing and shooting my face off every 15 minutes".
But no- I bloody preordered it and played it the second it released it was that convincing.

MonkeyPunch:

Kimarous:

Gorfias:

I was just wondering. Do you two jump in to threads about inherently single player games and bemoan that there's no multiplayer?
Do you maybe subscribe to the idea that not every game (Second son for eg.) needs multiplayer? (and maybe frown when a publisher shoe-horns multiplayer in to a title that blatantly never needed it)

Do you go in to other multiplayer only games threads such as... dunno, Loadout, Planetside 2, Hearthstone, Guild Wars 2 etc. and bring up the same points?

///

Sure when the masses arrive (me amidst them) server might be shaky, but it all seems pretty smooth at the moment.

You're making my point for me. That's a lot of online multi player stuff you list there.

I guess I'm most pissed here, and with Shadowrun is that they came out at a time that platforms needed quality stuff and instead, they're pushing this stuff out.

An interesting question though: why don't I care if a game is single player only? I guess because, I can play it even if no one else is doing so. Multi-player? Not so much.

Jim, kudos for a review which was both favorable and moderated expectations.

Anyone - any word on what the 360 version is going to be like? Is there some NDA expiration date that everyone's beholden to? Because given the hype of the xBone version I'm finding the radio silence regarding the 360's disheartening.

MonkeyPunch:

Kimarous:

Even if you list all the game's other qualities, it doesn't help the fact that it's online-only. In other words, something that amounts to a brick once the servers die off... or just flat-out die.
[snip]

Gorfias:
[snip]

I like that you bring up the idea that multiplayer gets shoehorned into games that don't need it and, therefore, a multiplayer game shouldn't be criticized for not having a singleplayer game similarly shoehorned in.

That being said, I think these two made some solid points about multiplayer only games which frequently get glossed over : namely, this is a step closer to an extended rental of a game, rather than actually purchasing something you can independently enjoy.

I'm not making a value judgement. I'm not saying that's bad, or a waste of money. That's an individual call.

Personally - and I know this its a bit indirect - I see getting people to casually accept multiplayer only games (without access to server software, natch) as a way to erode opposition to always-on DRM. Because that's my take on it, it is a comfort to hear that other people aren't ok with multiplayer only.

Being an "online only" game with no single player to fall back on, and the striking similarity to "Brink," I'll hold off. Brink held so much promise IMO, but failed in some critical areas (balancing the bots. They became ultra lethal once you leveled up to a certain point), and the horrible lagging/disconnecting.

As much as I love giant fighting robots, and despite all the praise the game is getting, gonna opt to simply watch the forums to see what issues arise, if any.

Kimarous:

jesus christ dude, you make it sound like an MMO. it's not something you have to completely devote your life to. And to me it seems like the game will have a long life-span. And i'm not going to make too big of a thing here, but you are in the wrong hobby set if you play games and expect to have a life. I also think you need to play the game to be able to pass a judgement call like that. Yes i know its EA, and its online, but Respawn have created a top notch game. I have played the Beta, and it was fucking awesome.

Gotta agree with Jim on the map design. it's on Valve level for sure.

Gorfias:

You're making my point for me. That's a lot of online multi player stuff you list there.

I guess I'm most pissed here, and with Shadowrun is that they came out at a time that platforms needed quality stuff and instead, they're pushing this stuff out.

An interesting question though: why don't I care if a game is single player only? I guess because, I can play it even if no one else is doing so. Multi-player? Not so much.

I'm certain I'm not at all making your point. If so, which?
(To be honest I think you're totally missing, or trying to evade my points.)

"...pushing this stuff out."?
"This" as in: quality MP shooters? ;]
You seem to have a problem with multiplayer in general, which still makes it weird that in a thread about a multiplayer game, you're criticising that it's well... multiplayer.
Online multiplayer game is online multiplayer.

And your final "question" isn't really interesting so much as it stating the obvious. Just like you can't play a multiplayer game when no one else is around - you can't play a single player game with other people. Erm, dur.
I think what you're trying to say is that you don't enjoy multiplayer - which is totally fine, but then this game was obviously never going to be for you.
There are however people out there who do enjoy multiplayer games and who don't need a shoddily tacked on single player experience just for the sake of and/or just to add another bullet point.
Respawn is relatively small and it took all their energy to make the game work in MP and there's no way they should have compromised the quality of the final product just to add single player.

Sounds great. The only thing standing in my way is that I never think to play online shooters during my free time (well, almost never). It would certainly be a waste of money if I never get around to playing it.

Kimarous:

Also, I have what's called a "life" wherein I need to pause regularly, so an online title that requires constant, undivided attention for extended periods is impractical and intrusive.

So, in other words, the only games you have time for are mobile phone games?

tdylan:
Being an "online only" game with no single player to fall back on, and the striking similarity to "Brink," I'll hold off.

The Bring comparison is apt, it's how I felt about the beta. "This is what Brink would have been if it wasn't terrible."

Downloaded the game late last night before bed from Amazon/Origin. Can't wait to get home and fire it up. I had a blast with the beta so needless to say I'm excited to see the rest of the content.

Didn't this review have a different title late last night? Something about Titan's Balls?

42:

Kimarous:

jesus christ dude, you make it sound like an MMO. it's not something you have to completely devote your life to. And to me it seems like the game will have a long life-span. And i'm not going to make too big of a thing here, but you are in the wrong hobby set if you play games and expect to have a life. I also think you need to play the game to be able to pass a judgement call like that. Yes i know its EA, and its online, but Respawn have created a top notch game. I have played the Beta, and it was fucking awesome.

Gotta agree with Jim on the map design. it's on Valve level for sure.

these are the people that made CoD. You are not expecting a yearly release cycle?

Titanfall: Ghost Ops 2 confirmed summer 2017.

no, seriously. I fully expect it to end up like CoD. It already plays just like it.

as for an MMO, you see, MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online.

Massively? maybe not, 6v6 and all, but I hear MOBA's are all the rage right now.

Multiplayer? slap yourself, that's all the game is.

Online? please, just eat your computer, that's the only thing this game has.

so two out of three? yep, it's an MMO.

at worst? it's a MOBA dressed up like a MMO.

now had it any type of singleplayer, even a training campaign like how Chromehounds had, then maybe you could claim it isn't an MMO.

The Wooster:

tdylan:
Being an "online only" game with no single player to fall back on, and the striking similarity to "Brink," I'll hold off.

The Bring comparison is apt, it's how I felt about the beta. "This is what Brink would have been if it wasn't terrible."

TotalBiscuit's opinion is that Brink, despite its problems, did the multi-player campaign much better than Titanfall. Seems that the only thing that success/failure in a Titanfall campaign mission does is change the cut-scenes.

neonsword13-ops:
inb4 accusations of Xbox fanboyism for giving a good score to an Xbox game and how giving 4/5 stars = "a bad score".

I was thinking the same thing as I read it. XD Managed to piss off both extremes of fan-dumb, the people who can't see past the exclusive sticker on a game, and the blowhards who spam hate on any review that lowers their beloved metacritic rating.

Ah well, the former may be somewhat assuaged by the fact that there is no competitive game on the other system to be ranked as well. Sort of like how his review of Deadly Premonition was lambasted for being higher than his rating of Heavy Rain. What the one game had to do with the other? fuck all if I know.

Good to see that some of the hype is merited, though this one doesn't sound interesting to me. Online multiplayer exclusive + first person is a formula that sounds tailor made for the kind of gamer I'm not. It'll be fun to see what the fans do with it, though.

I think that 60 bucks is too much for a multiplayer only game so I probably won't get it until it becomes cheaper, still nice to know its good like I hoped.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here