The Big Picture: Orphan, Black? - A Look At The New Annie

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Orphan, Black? - A Look At The New Annie

Bob takes a look at the new Annie musical, and the history of the franchise.

Watch Video

Not gonna lie, the Ovaltine joke nearly killed me...

Honestly my first reaction was "Did the world really need a remake of Annie? Ah well... okay... whatever...not really my kind of movie no matter who they cast in it."

one of your best ones Bob. i dont normally comment on your videos but i just had to say that.

"Remember to drink your ovaltine? A crummy commercial? SON OF A BITCH!"

*ahem*

I kinda wanna see a movie where Annie gets air dropped into some worn torn country to take out some terrorists now. Just sayin'.

I think I would go see "Annie in Afghanistan".

A part of me knows they'll steer clear of this, but I really want a commentary on the dynamics of money and politics and the need for the wealthy to be more engaged with the lower classes and to not treat the poor as a invasive species.

Disappointed this BP was not actually about Orphan Black. Has Bob already said something about that? Or was that Film Crit HULK?

I'm guessing no weirdness either. The original Land of Oz books were full of weirdness like girls being transformed into boys and back again, but the 1940 Judy Garland film has pretty much cemented that presentation of Oz in the mass culture. So instead of mining Baum's 18 or so Oz books, which are all public domain now, Disney instead puts out a completely new film channelling the 1940 movie.

Hmm....is it me or do I see Roll from that comic book artwork of her?

I wonder if megaman creators were fans of that series lol.

pluizig:
Disappointed this BP was not actually about Orphan Black. Has Bob already said something about that? Or was that Film Crit HULK?

Thought so for a split second until I read the rest of the title. Ah well. Hey isn't the second season airing soon?

OT: I actually liked the "Benjamin Warbucks" pun. So incredibly bad it's almost befitting of the film if it does intend to be wacky.

Fascinating. This is the first I've heard of this remake (on account that if one of THOSE relatives is on Facebook, I either don't friend them or unsubscribe from their feed), and I still don't care.

Falseprophet:
I'm guessing no weirdness either. The original Land of Oz books were full of weirdness like girls being transformed into boys and back again, but the 1940 Judy Garland film has pretty much cemented that presentation of Oz in the mass culture. So instead of mining Baum's 18 or so Oz books, which are all public domain now, Disney instead puts out a completely new film channelling the 1940 movie.

Quick correction: The MGM OZ was actually released in 1939, not 1940. anyway... yeah, Oz The Great And Powerful was basically a prequel to the MGM movie, right down to the title! In the original book, oz is refered to as "The Great And Terrible" whereas in the MGM movie it was "The Great And Powerful".

"You talk about racial equality, how we're making progress. The problem with that progress is it's always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow-you love that!-because it's always a day away. I'm here to stick out my chin today! Today! Give us an African-American Spider Man! Give us a black that can run faster than a speeding bullet and leap over tall buildings in a single bound! Not tomorrow-today! Today! The sun needs to come out today! Not tomorrow, your Honor! God Almighty! Give the American people a black Orphan Annie. It's just not good enough to say she doesn't look the part."

I can't believe no one has mentioned this from Boston Legal.

I've been giving Moviebob a lot of grief lately. Credit where credit is due- this gave me a lot of interesting information I wasn't privy to, and had me chortling pretty much non-stop through the entire clip. Good show, old chap.

I can't believe is! Their remaking Annie and the lead character is BLACK!!1!

NO! I AM OUTRAGED!1 That role belongs to Gingers!

RED POWER!!1!!11!

Annie needed a reboot, and this looks like a good modern way to do it. I think the biggest problem the original character has is that our Orphanage system no longer exists in the same way it existed in the 20's. There haven't been actual Orphanages in a very long time, and have since been replaced by Group Homes and the Foster system. We're also so displaced from WWI that just about every characters background isn't relateable anymore. Given the update that needed to be done it appears consistent. It's not like the incoherent changing of the characters background that the Fantastic Four reboot appears to be doing which I equate more to the latest Hercules nockoff that isn't actually Hercules. Really, Hercules sold into slavery so they can do a Gladiator rippoff. Random Greek or Roman, sure, but not Herc.

pluizig:

I think it was Film Crit Hulk, but it would be interesting to see Bob opinion on Orphan Black now that he seems to be reviewing television shows as well.

Have no problem with this Annie reboot but I am upset now because the idea of little red hair girl blowing nazi submarines makes me think Quentin Tarantino is some where rolling around having night terrors for not putting that to screen sooner.

So is Annie a lizard person, or just Obama? I am so confused.

Nice Christmas Story reference at the end there, MovieBob.

The only thing that bugged me about them doing this was that for the longest time Willow Smith was supposed to play Annie. When did that change?

Did Hollywood realize that you can't capitalize on an actor's/actress's parentage and hope for big box office returns? Oh, wait, nah that can't be it. Hollywood never realizes when they make mistakes.

Merklyn236:
Nice Christmas Story reference at the end there, MovieBob.

The only thing that bugged me about them doing this was that for the longest time Willow Smith was supposed to play Annie. When did that change?

Did Hollywood realize that you can't capitalize on an actor's/actress's parentage and hope for big box office returns? Oh, wait, nah that can't be it. Hollywood never realizes when they make mistakes.

According to the Smiths, the short version was that Willow decided she'd had her fun (for now, at least) doing her one song/album and doesn't really want a full-time acting/singing career right now; but since they'd already set up the movie they went ahead with Wallis taking over as Annie and Foxx stepping into the Warbucks part (which most had assumed Will would've played himself.)

Smilomaniac:
"You talk about racial equality, how we're making progress. The problem with that progress is it's always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow-you love that!-because it's always a day away. I'm here to stick out my chin today! Today! Give us an African-American Spider Man! Give us a black that can run faster than a speeding bullet and leap over tall buildings in a single bound! Not tomorrow-today! Today! The sun needs to come out today! Not tomorrow, your Honor! God Almighty! Give the American people a black Orphan Annie. It's just not good enough to say she doesn't look the part."

I can't believe no one has mentioned this from Boston Legal.

Boston Legal predicting controversies a full 10 years before they happen.

I would Love it if Al Sharpton just gave that speech again regarding this issue.

So, think this might be the start of a "Revivals of Creepy-Eyed Comic Strip Orphans That Haven't Been Relevant in Seventy Years" trend? Maybe we can have Jaden Smith play Dondi.

Blows up Nazi submarines? Goes on wild adventures? Foster father comes back from the dead?
No one should be surprised when Samuel L. Jackson shows up at the end of the movie.

"Benjamin Stacks" was a silly name, but it would have been fitting. It's still subtler than "Warbucks", which doesn't even qualify as a pun. It's like what I've been saying for a while now about Captain Planet, how if that attempted revival does ever work out, it needs to have a villain named "DeForrest".

The biggest controversy of this is that there is no controversy. It's a complete non-issue. The new Karate Kid was black. The cast of The Wiz was black. About half of the movies Eddie Murphy ever made were "black versions" of other films.

I was hoping for more Annie weirdness.

bdcjacko:
So is Annie a lizard person, or just Obama? I am so confused.

Annie is a secret lizard person, Obama is a secret illegal Muslim Kenyan lizard person. Its important to get these things right.

Those creepy blank eyes, I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight.

My father's parents are progressive people, also ex communists so I doubt they liked Annie considering how pro capitalistic it is, my mother's father is dead and her mom is suffering from dementia, so I don't think my grandparents are outraged about the black thing.

The movie doesn't seem all that interesting, unless it has Annie fighting al Qaida I probably won't go see it.

Dont really care about how she (them overall) are black, that thing in Thor kind of annoyed me as it was basicly norse mithology, not offended, just annoyed (Idris Elba was still the best actor in that movie, he is just really good). It annoyed me the same way when Jesus is shown as being a white guy.

Thanks for the crummy commercial, Bob. I would have been rather disappointed if you hadn't made that joke.

All this black/white actor playing the white/black character is bullshit when it comes to race. A lot of people were annoyed with Idris playing Heimdeil - and he turned out awesome in both Thor movies to the point i hope they bring him into Avengers 2. But i also remember people moaning about The Last Airbender movie changing the race of the characters and the Keanu playing Akira. An believe me, if Blade was going to be played by a white actor, those same people would be bitching as well.

Orphan Annie is so old movie wise its a non issue what colour she is. Though im guessing the older generation would prefer it to be the red headed girl from the movies. I think its because fans think they know what they want, as in they want the movies to be like the source material and anything that deviates from it is unacceptable. But then it turns out those changes are awesome. Like Idris in Thor and Heath as The Joker - both actors got a lot of hate but were awesome. Now we have the same for the new Batman and Wonder Woman and the new Human Torch. Will these people be good or bad? Time will tell.

"Orphan Black" is a hilarious pun? I don't get it.

"Drink your Ovaltine" is hilarious? I don't get this either.

Is it because I;m a Limey?

Steve the Pocket:
"Benjamin Stacks" was a silly name, but it would have been fitting. It's still subtler than "Warbucks", which doesn't even qualify as a pun. It's like what I've been saying for a while now about Captain Planet, how if that attempted revival does ever work out, it needs to have a villain named "DeForrest".

Like the "Rex DeForrest" character from that John Candy animated series I saw a couple of episodes of when I was a kid? I could go for that.

So many humour bits flung at a great frequency. You sounded really into this, Bob. I think this'll stand up with things like "You Are Wrong About Sucker Punch" as my favourite TBPs.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here