Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Yoshi Games

Top 5 Yoshi Games

Lisa lists off the best games featuring Mario's favorite sidekick!

Watch Video

Poor Kevin, he tried.

So anyways, Yoshi eats things then lays eggs. Is this supposed to be part of his digestive system or his (or her?) reproductive system?Or maybe Yoshi is some sort of Xenomorph?

Ahh, where's tetris attack???

I'm not sure making a sequel to a game 11 years later makes it a good game...it just makes it an old game. I mean Nintendo is infamous for scraping the bottom of the barrel for their IP.
I wonder if Yoshi is the bottom of that barrel...

But I did play that superscope game. It was fun, just didn't work on a flatscreen tv so that was useless.

Silentpony:

But I did play that superscope game. It was fun, just didn't work on a flatscreen tv so that was useless.

Most lightgun games don't work on flatscreens due to the lack of reflectivity - It's the only way the sensors inside the gun can pick up the hitboxes. If you want to play a lightgun game, you need a CRT TV. Somewhere out there, retro gaming enthusiasts that still use CRTs have done research on what the best CRT is to play those games on, and I believe it was a Sony TV that was meant for use in broadcasting studios.

Dr.Awkward:

Most lightgun games don't work on flatscreens due to the lack of reflectivity - It's the only way the sensors inside the gun can pick up the hitboxes. If you want to play a lightgun game, you need a CRT TV. Somewhere out there, retro gaming enthusiasts that still use CRTs have done research on what the best CRT is to play those games on, and I believe it was a Sony TV that was meant for use in broadcasting studios.

Neither of Nintendo's light guns use reflection to figure out where they're aimed.

The Super Scope uses the timing of the raster pattern of a CRT (it draws the first line left to right, then the second line left to right, and so on, and goes back to the top when it's done) to figure out which pixel the super scope is aiming at. LCDs continually illuminate their pixels, and just regulate the light going through the subpixels to display a picture, so there's no way to use an LCD for a Super Scope game unless we get LCDs fast enough to emulate the CRT raster scan, which I figure would take a refresh rate of at least 56kHz for an SNES (as opposed to the standard 60Hz).

The Zapper works by making the screen black for one frame, then rendering a white square on each target location for one frame. The game then knows which target has hit by which flash the Zapper could see (or none, for a miss). The Zapper emits no light.

The reason we can't use LCDs for the Zapper is actually because of display lag. All displays have it to varying degrees, which is why you need to calibrate your display for Guitar Hero/Rock Band before playing, otherwise your carefully-timed button presses to match the beat will be off. CRTs usually have negligible display lag, while with LCDs it could be several frames. Technically, there's no reason why we couldn't someday produce an LCD with as little lag as a CRT, and it seems like we should be able to play Duck Hunt on it.

Lisa Foiles:
Top 5 Yoshi Games

Lisa lists off the best games featuring Mario's favorite sidekick!

Watch Video

This was the funniest / scariest video you've done in a long, long time. I swear that "Yoshi eatin' everybody out here" will give me nightmares. Uuuuurgh... the tongue... the horrible, horrible tongue!

Oh, and the "Kevin" scene was one of the most hilariously cruel moments I've seen in a long, long time. I laughed so much, yet felt so guilty.

Kevin really needs to learn the difference between turtles and dinosaurs. Kudos on the baked goods tho.

Loved the Yoshi's eatin' everyone reference. Well done.

Totally agree on the number one pick. I do think honorable mention should have gone to Yoshi (JP: Yoshi's Egg) Loved making those huge egg stacks.

There aren't many Yoshi games and that's sad... but yeah, Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island are wonderful, with Island being one of my all time favorite platformers ever made.

I still own my GBA copy and I still play it from time to time C:

RandV80:
Poor Kevin, he tried.

So anyways, Yoshi eats things then lays eggs. Is this supposed to be part of his digestive system or his (or her?) reproductive system?Or maybe Yoshi is some sort of Xenomorph?

:( The cookie still looked good....

As for Yoshi's eggs. Maybe they're like mosquitoes in that they need to eat something before they can lay eggs?

For mosquitoes, it's blood they need. For Yoshi, it's anything.

Ok, I am by far a HUGE Yoshi fan (buying that 3DS even though I already have a limited edition FE one) but Yoshi's Story?? I played that while young too, but it was pretty dreadful besides the FUCKING FANTASTIC art. Yes, it is beautiful, but the gameplay is almost universally accepted as really really disappointingly bad.

BTW, I want to wear all your Yoshi shirts!!! Idc if I'm a dude, they're amazing!

Lovely presentation, but the dated antoine dodson reference made my eyes water.

Wait, in the last animated clip did Yoshi eat Mario?

Hahaha, what the hell are those cookies made of? Kevin is not even close to being interested.

I played Yoshi's Island a lot in my SNES days. One of the best games I owned on that console. I loved the controls and the little completion sidequests every level had. I wasn't too crazy about baby Mario's cries though...

Yoshi's Island is still one of my favourite games. I am one of those people who bought the 3DS on launch so I am in the Ambassador Program which means I got the GBA version for free. Yeah, it was worth it right there.

Fun embarrassing fact: I shed a tear at the end of Yoshi's Story for some reason lmao.

This was a great episode of the Kevin show!

Having a sequel 11 years late does not make it a good game, it makes it a good cash cow from nostalgia.

UNHchabo:

The reason we can't use LCDs for the Zapper is actually because of display lag. All displays have it to varying degrees, which is why you need to calibrate your display for Guitar Hero/Rock Band before playing, otherwise your carefully-timed button presses to match the beat will be off. CRTs usually have negligible display lag, while with LCDs it could be several frames. Technically, there's no reason why we couldn't someday produce an LCD with as little lag as a CRT, and it seems like we should be able to play Duck Hunt on it.

this may have been a problem in the last, but no more. With TN panels having 1 MS lag and IPS being done with 5ms lag even on low end TVs for couple years now that problem becomes nonexistent, because the response time is at least 3 times faster than a single frame refresh (assuming 60 fps).

As for the rest of your post, thank you i learnt something there :)

Strazdas:

UNHchabo:

this may have been a problem in the last, but no more. With TN panels having 1 MS lag and IPS being done with 5ms lag even on low end TVs for couple years now that problem becomes nonexistent, because the response time is at least 3 times faster than a single frame refresh (assuming 60 fps).

As for the rest of your post, thank you i learnt something there :)

I think you're thinking of pixel response time, which is different than display lag.

Pixel response time affects the amount of time it takes for a pixel to change from one color value to another, typically given for both black-to-white-to-black, and grey-to-grey. Monitors with poor pixel response time get a smeared image if there's motion on-screen.

Display lag is the delay between when the monitor receives a signal to when that signal gets displayed. A monitor with good pixel response time but poor input lag will have a nice, crisp image, but the sound will be out of sync, and games will feel like the mouse is sluggish. Most manufacturers don't release numbers for display lag.

This article explains input lag in-depth:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803

A PC has many things that introduce input lag, like the USB chain, the OS, the game engine, and so on. That's one of the big things they talk about in that article, but I'm just talking about the delay introduced by the display itself here.

Most LCD TVs have processing systems that try to improve the picture, which often introduces several more frames of lag. Most monitors don't have this, so that's one reason why in the high-speed-camera test from that article the LCD does almost as well as the CRT. The main thing though is that Dunk Hunt relies on a series of display images being sent out, then those images being displayed starting on the very next frame. So far as I know that can't happen with a current LCD.

UNHchabo:

I think you're thinking of pixel response time, which is different than display lag.

Pixel response time affects the amount of time it takes for a pixel to change from one color value to another, typically given for both black-to-white-to-black, and grey-to-grey. Monitors with poor pixel response time get a smeared image if there's motion on-screen.

Display lag is the delay between when the monitor receives a signal to when that signal gets displayed. A monitor with good pixel response time but poor input lag will have a nice, crisp image, but the sound will be out of sync, and games will feel like the mouse is sluggish. Most manufacturers don't release numbers for display lag.

This article explains input lag in-depth:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803

A PC has many things that introduce input lag, like the USB chain, the OS, the game engine, and so on. That's one of the big things they talk about in that article, but I'm just talking about the delay introduced by the display itself here.

Most LCD TVs have processing systems that try to improve the picture, which often introduces several more frames of lag. Most monitors don't have this, so that's one reason why in the high-speed-camera test from that article the LCD does almost as well as the CRT. The main thing though is that Dunk Hunt relies on a series of display images being sent out, then those images being displayed starting on the very next frame. So far as I know that can't happen with a current LCD.

Indeed i have been talking about pixel response time. This was an interesting read. However as the article itself states, they fould rather low Input Lag, one of just a little bit more than a single frame on a standart 60 hz monitors. Even less in fact. Also they found that higher frequencies help with that. Considering old TVs that used Zappers used to do interlacing i hardly see this as a real problem. Also gamers have been pushing for higher frequency monitors lately as game graphics improvement seems to be at a standstill and resolution and framerate increase is where games are going for the most part. However at 60 hz monitors its limited to 60 FPS (and the rest you simply wont get displayed), so now we got 120 hz monitors, even the 144hz South Korean monitors, that allow to use those higher frame rates. This also lowers the display lag as per findings in the article.

SO i dont really see a problem here.

I find it interesting that the forum devolved into a tech forum about pixel response time. haha.. maybe devolved is harsh, but still a video about Yoshi and I am learning about pixel and reflective technology.

None the less I try and always play Yoshi in various multi-player games. I feel we have a connection. I like to eat things to. though I don't often discharge eggs.

Also I now want a cookie!

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)