No Right Answer: Worst Video Game to Movie Redux

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Worst Video Game to Movie Redux

If you saw our first crack at this topic, you know there truly is no right answer to this question. Course that won't stop us from taking another crack at it!

Watch Video

That Street Fighter movie didn't do irreparable harm to the franchise. People would have had to actually watch it for that to happen. Not to mention Street Fighter 4 came out just before it and the franchise and fighting games became bigger than they'd ever been.

So if that is one of the requirements for a video game movie being the worst ever, it doesn't really qualify.

And the real right answer is that all video game movies suck. But a few are self aware enough that that's okay.

The best adaptation in recent years is Doom. Not a great movie by any means, but it did the one thing most movies like this fail to do, it used the source material as the foundation as well as the color. It told its own story but used the core elements and some of the window dressing from the game. To me that is what pretty much every other movie like this fails to do.

I'm trying to think of a movie that was both enjoyable and faithful to the franchise it was adapted to. I mean the Resident Evil movies are good mindless fun, but they aren't even close to being true to the games. Advent Children was also a pretty fun watch, but it was mostly mindless exposition meant to play upon out nostalgia for the game rather than a serious attempt to channel the game's essence into a movie format.

The only time I have EVER verbally cursed out a movie with "Oh, that's Bull***!" was watching The Legend of Chun-Li where she does her "Spinning Bird Kick"... and every part of my being hated how badly they made it look.

I think at this point we can say that Hollywood (or at least, Marvel Studios) understands how to make comic books into movies.... the same just needs to be done for video games.

Which is to cherry pick the stuff that will translate well to a consumed (vs. interactive) visual medium, and translate (or fabricate) new things to make it work.

Part of the problem with video games is that the protagonists don't really experience an arc. They don't become better people. How does the Spartan from Halo become a better person in Halo 1? Where's his internal conflict?

On the other hand, something like Bioshock Infinite is ready-made to be a movie. It's almost there already.

...which actually may work against it. Prior to ... 1998's Blade, did we see any good superhero movies? Blade gave way to X-Men, from which followed Spiderman, and now we're looking at two Marvel Studios movies a year.

Games are already pretty cinematic. What would a live action version of Booker DeWitt get us?

To be honest, i wouldn't know what counts to a the final fantasy franchise.
I know what goes to the "ff 7"-franchise, to the dissidia-franchise or to the tactic-franchise.
It's a big fiction universe like marvel. You have your street level and global-player. The wizards and scientist. On earth and off earth. Really, there isn't that much constant to pinpoint a franchise that the movie goes against.

jdarksun:
Prior to ... 1998's Blade, did we see any good superhero movies? Blade gave way to X-Men, from which followed Spiderman, and now we're looking at two Marvel Studios movies a year.

Which is why fox should go with a r-rated deadpool movie. Blade got a trilogy out of it and the source is already there. The family stuff is dominated by disney/marvel anyway. Just make it an "trible b"(my calling of high budget b movies).

I realy get the feeling i'm the only one who generally enjoyed "spirits within".
On the other side, i never played a final fantasy game (the closest was Mystic Quest legend on the SNES), so for me it was just an animated scifi movie.

theApoc:
The best adaptation in recent years is Doom. Not a great movie by any means, but it did the one thing most movies like this fail to do, it used the source material as the foundation as well as the color. It told its own story but used the core elements and some of the window dressing from the game. To me that is what pretty much every other movie like this fails to do.

I beg to disagree. They had the simplest job in the world: make a movie about a guy shooting demons from Hell on Mars and they didn't. Yeah, they had Karl Urban and Wayne Johnson and it sitll didn't save the flick.

Mortal Kombat is the only good VG adaptation so far.

You get the guy who played the dad in the Lindsay Lohan twins movie?

I assume you were talking about The Parent Trap, in which case that was Dennis Quaid.

M. Bison, the man who you put on-screen was played by Neal Freaking McDonough

I haven't even seen The Legend of Chun Li, but I'm more than willing to give Neal McDonough the benefit of the doubt. If he didn't put forward a good performance in this movie, I'm going to blame the director.

Hunh. Not even a mention of an Owe Boll movie? ( Postal, House of the Dead, In the Name of the King, Blood Rayne, Far Cry, Alone in the Dark )

I'm not sure if I should admire your restraint or question your methodology.

UNHchabo:

I just always remember him as "that guy from Band of Brothers" I'm not usually huge into propoganda movies but that miniseries was well done and had a really strong cast, and he was one of the standouts. Still from what I've heard of M. Bison's character in the Chun-Li film he's just a generic businessman rather than a Dictator, yeah I don't think anyone could have saved that.

I got to go with Sprits Within just being bad. I say it's only bad because Square slapped the "Final Fantasy" name and got everybody hopes up and also the plot just felt weak in my mind. Now if Square went of their way and named it something else beside what it is, we probably would say it's a bad CGI Movie, not bad (movie that has nothing to do with the video game franchise of the same name) movie.

Also I say the guys should of waited to upload this because the Need For Speed movie is coming out Friday and that looks like a Fast and Furious knockoff.

geier:
I realy get the feeling i'm the only one who generally enjoyed "spirits within".
On the other side, i never played a final fantasy game (the closest was Mystic Quest legend on the SNES), so for me it was just an animated scifi movie.

Well at least 2 of us did. I quite enjoyed it and I have played many FF games. It did have jack all to do with the franchise but I enjoyed it for what it was; a film that actually made alien ghosts workable.

Ratty:

UNHchabo:

I just always remember him as "that guy from Band of Brothers" I'm not usually huge into propoganda movies but that miniseries was well done and had a really strong cast, and he was one of the standouts. Still from what I've heard of M. Bison's character in the Chun-Li film he's just a generic businessman rather than a Dictator, yeah I don't think anyone could have saved that.

I know Neal Freaking McDonough best as Timothy "Dum Dum" Dugan of The Howling Commandos in Captain America: The First Avenger.

RealRT:

theApoc:

I beg to disagree. They had the simplest job in the world: make a movie about a guy shooting demons from Hell on Mars and they didn't. Yeah, they had Karl Urban and Wayne Johnson and it sitll didn't save the flick.

I like DOOM & the first Mortal Kombat, but one of the best and most game-accurate adaptation I've seen is Hitman, starring Timothy Oliphant.

jdarksun:
Prior to ... 1998's Blade, did we see any good [comicbook] movies?

There was 4: Superman, Batman, The Crow & The Mask?

Games to movies was fun when games were 2D and heavily pixelized. Back then the idea of seeing gaming characters was a cool concept. But now games actually looked like movies, and we can control it while we watch! Why would anyone want to just plainly watch when they can watch and play?

Another point is a lot of games have poor material for a movie like most of the fighting games, mario, duke nukem, doom, etc. The story is there to give the game an excuse to kick ass and chew bubble gum, alot of it is a lame excuse of a cliche to begin with.

Games that have good story to be made into a movie doesn't NEED a movie, games like Mass Effect, Last of Us, Deus Ex......We already played the game and know all the plot and twist. We influence the story and cater it to our taste something movies can never do.

If they want to write different story base on a game universe that I can understand but making movies straight from the source material AND ignoring what the materials about that I don't get.

I really enjoyed 'Spirits Within', as a sci-fi fantasy film.

I get the whole 'FF' did nothing to it, but I still think Spirits Within was a great movie for its time.

Auron225:

geier:

Well at least 2 of us did. I quite enjoyed it and I have played many FF games. It did have jack all to do with the franchise but I enjoyed it for what it was; a film that actually made alien ghosts workable.

+1 to people who liked it.

The story wasn't amazing and and the film overall had nothing to do with Final Fantasy, but it was fun, had a good cast and soundtrack and nothing stood out as being really 'bad'.

I'd rather watch Spirits Within than Advent Children any day of the week.

Well as a Final Fantasy fan I know one thing and that is a lot of games have one or two key points to them... No game continues the story outside of the FFX and the FFXIII games. However even in those games this kind of fits...

Final Fantasy has Anti-Religion elements...
And a lot of time if there is no Religion there is a gyha reference... Gya being the spirit of a world...
(side not... may have screwed up the spelling on gyha)

No House of The Dead or Far Cry?, not even a mention of Alone in The Dark or Postal? (or anything by Uwe Boll for that matter).

For Shame.

EDIT: Damn, I was already ninja'd.

Double EDIT: I think that might be an interesting debate by itself, "the worst Uwe Boll film".

No mention of all the product placement in Spirits Within? The interesting thing about Spirits Within is that Square was planning to start a whole film division with Spirits Within being their first major project. And since Spirits Within was such a disaster it was also their only major project as Square kiboshed that idea immediately afterwards.

this was no contest, The Legend of Chun-Li was just a bad movie while spirits within was a solid animated scifi movie for the time. The only reason that spirits within was even considered a bad movie is that square decided to tack on the name final fantasy. When you take on the FF name one expects a few FF elements beyond a chocobo pin, a guy named cid, and gaia. What we expected was magic(preferably with a black, white, or red mage), maybe a few more references to earlier games, and a real freaking villian like kefka or sepheroth.

btw anyone beside me really like street fighter? i mean it was so bad that it was good again and Raúl Juliá's overacting as bison as well as trying to stay true to the source material was just over the top and fun.

I have to say Final Fantasy was the worst. There was nothing linking it to the source material. Rather than having a complicated story on a fantastically made up world with all manner of strange monsters, they set it on Earth, with ghosts.

I am one of the few folks who LIKED the Final Fantasy movie. However, I must also add that I wasn't expecting it to be anything like Final Fantasy, as I'd only played FF8 up to that point, and knew the movie would have no magic or anything.

I fully believe the film would have been a breakout project for the company if it simply had disavowed the "FF" moniker. IMO, it was a case of brand recognition working AGAINST a project that was NEVER INTENDED to resemble its source material in any way.

As an FF movie, however, it sucked horribly. I just don't see it as one. In my mind, "The Spirits Within" is just another movie that came out around the same time as "Titan AE" and "Heavy Metal 2000," (I may be misremembering the timeline) constituting some of the best sci-fi animations to rock my summer.

Of course, I'm also one of those people who finds charming appeal in plenty of otherwise TERRIBLE 80's and 90's films (such as Johnny Mnemonic).

Chun Li's movie can go straight to hell though. Van Damme's movie wasn't much better, but at least it had a bikini-clad Kylie Minogue in it. Actually, my movie theater had it listed as "Chung Lee," and I am inclined to call this travesty of a knock-off by that name.

Neal McDonough was in a Street Fighter movie!?

I feel that this topic was posted a day early...

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/need-for-speed

Darth_Payn:

I like DOOM & the first Mortal Kombat, but one of the best and most game-accurate adaptation I've seen is Hitman, starring Timothy Oliphant.

mortal kombat was meh.... Hitman was a good movie...... DOOM?! are you freaking high!?

If I had to vote for my favorite video game to movie transition, I'd have to say Resident Evil.
They used the universe well without just copy pasting the games. Then for each sequel they went further and further from the game and while the story got weirder, its still better than the games gotten and at least the movies are entertaining, unlike the last few games.

Goliath100:

jdarksun:
Prior to ... 1998's Blade, did we see any good [comicbook] movies?

There was 4: Superman, Batman, The Crow & The Mask?

I will concede all but Superman, those movies are absolute garbage. Flying backwards around the planet makes you go back in time and brings people back to life, yet they kinda remember that they died? The movie was barely ok before that, after that I didn't think it could get worse, I WAS WRONG! Amnesia kisses, more reversing time, only this time to make it so that none of it EVER HAPPENED, if only we could have done that in the real world for the movie itself. 3 & 4 are just horrible horrible jokes, though 4 was so bad that it started becoming decent in a so bad its good way.

God, after watching all of them, I wanted to hit everyone that complained that Superman returns was a bad movie that ruined the superman series. SERIOUSLY?! The best lex luthor ever(I love you Kevin Spacey, never leave me), a call back to the only interesting aspect of the first movie(lex's real estate business) and they didn't even reuse scenes from the previous movies.

Sorry, that rants been brewing for awhile. What were we talking about again? O yea, good comic book movies prior to blade..... well the obvious answer is Howard the Duck >:D

RealRT:

theApoc:

I was a movie about shooting demons from hell on Mars... What else did you want LOL.

theApoc:

RealRT:

theApoc:

I was a movie about shooting demons from hell on Mars... What else did you want LOL.

Only, you know, without any demons. It had monsters created through gene engineering, not demons from hell.

"Has to hurt the franchise"? That qualification rules out nearly every movie adapated from a game. I would scratch that as any kind of requirement and just make it an additional point.

I think House of the Dead was pretty darn bad. Maybe Double Dragon's movie.

Line from House of the Dead:

"You created them so you could be immortal! Why?"

"To live forever!"

geier:

Seracen:
I am one of the few folks who LIKED the Final Fantasy movie. However, I must also add that I wasn't expecting it to be anything like Final Fantasy, as I'd only played FF8 up to that point, and knew the movie would have no magic or anything.

I fully believe the film would have been a breakout project for the company if it simply had disavowed the "FF" moniker. IMO, it was a case of brand recognition working AGAINST a project that was NEVER INTENDED to resemble its source material in any way.

As an FF movie, however, it sucked horribly. I just don't see it as one. In my mind, "The Spirits Within" is just another movie that came out around the same time as "Titan AE" and "Heavy Metal 2000," (I may be misremembering the timeline) constituting some of the best sci-fi animations to rock my summer.

FF: TSW Fan checking in as well.

And yeah, compared to Doom 3, the Doom movie was terrible. I actually find it a little funny that it was more entertaining watching someone PLAY Doom 3 than it was to watch the movie. To be fair though, even if Doom 3 didn't have much plot to it (didn't have much to work with to begin with), I thought the plot it did have and a lot of the characters were rather entertaining, some of the levels in the game were really awesome, and the general aesthetic design did look really good.

Hmmmmm.....i loved The Spirits Within.....

DISCLAIMER: Never played Final Fantasy in any form.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. Legend of Chun-Li, to me at least, is a tolerable bad movie. It's goofy, it's dumb, but I've seen worse...much worse (**cough** The Item **cough**). Spirits Within wins this due to the fact I remember very vividly going to see it in theaters when it first came out when I was in high school. My two guy friends and I where (and still am) big video game nerds and all of us had high hopes. At the time, I was just starting to get into FF and when I was watching it, I had to keep asking them if the film was even related to the series! Needless to say, the only saving grace in that movie was the CGI; I just watched it recently on TV not too long ago and the graphics still hold up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here