Indie Developers Showcase, Day 1: Auditorium

Indie Developers Showcase, Day 1: Auditorium

Auditorium merges the woozy aesthetics of flOw with the audio-based gameplay of Electroplankton to produce a totally unique puzzle-solving experience - all from the comfort of your web browser.

Browser game or not, Auditorium is probably one of the most mesmerizing and beautiful games I've ever had a chance to play, which is impressive considering how simple it really is.

Stop reading the comments and go play it. Now.

Ah, I played this a little while back. Wonderful game. Can't recommend it enough.

I love these emergent music games. Can you get far enough in the game that it just gives you a big sandbox to play around in?

I had the pleasure of playing Auditorium a while back and it still maintains that mixed musical-problem-solving feel to it, not to mention beautiful.

Lumines in some ways, Synaesthete in others, and a bit of Geometry Wars 2 visually.

Dear me, that was stupendous, in a really calming way.

That must have been the most calming, yet still challenging game I've played so far.
Recommendations are going to fly all around and I'll be looking foreward for an opportunity to support the creator.

Edit: And then it's over. Well, as a demo, it certainly worked. It showed me the core gameplay mechanics, how the game's gonna feel in general and, what's most important, made me very much want to buy the final product.

I remember this! I played this about a month ago and it was the direction music games should go in. THIS IS THE FUTURE PEOPLE!!!

I remember this also, playing it like a month or so ago! I loved this little game, I am so glad to hear it is almost to release point!

I kinda feel like I was just meditating...at least the office seemed to melt away :-)

This is one of those games you want to hit that "donate" button for

I really like this game. Can't believe I actually got to "the end" :)

Pohlkat:
This is one of those games you want to hit that "donate" button for

Spinwhiz:
I really like this game. Can't believe I actually got to "the end" :)

Agreed with both of these. It really felt like a professional design team, and I'd like to see more of it. a few of the puzzles took me much longer than most, but that's the beauty of it - the multiple ways to accomplish the same results.

this game is amazing, you really feel immersed the second you start, the wonderful mix of puzzle solving coupled with just fantastic classical music.

what a refreshing game to play. thank you

J

The developers should be proud. I can see these kinds of games really taking off - afterall, there's a lot of 'indie' games making it into mainstream now. Like that neat little guitar riff shooter on the PSN, fl0w, N+ (or whatever it's called, that little ninja one).

This a great little game.

Waiting impatiently to give them money for the full version!

I truly enjoyed that for the 15 minutes I could get to play it. I would like more, but I'll have to wait until the weekend.

Awesome game. :)
I look forward to playing more when I get home (stupid work blocked it) :(

This game is going to be a problem. I can't stop playing it. This is to Tetris, what Portal was to Doom!

Beautiful game play, wonderfully peaceful music, later levels are complex enough to give you a severe brain hemorrhage. Its just so unbelievably unique and different.

Games like this really give me hope for the gaming industry. Not to mention the next 9 days.

Yeah I love that game.

I absolutely adore this game. I'm trying to complete the demo but some of them levels are very difficult. None the less, very original and somewhat mysterious idea complete with beautiful classical music.

Agree, it's a superb game. Got me interested more than some of the high budget productions (Mirror's Edge...).

This is why good reviewing matters.

I'd heard about this game before and thought it sounded tedious, pretentious and thoroughly uninteresting. On the strength of this article I decided to take a look and it turns out to be a lot of fun. Thanks! :-)

I absolutely loved it. The gameplay is immersive and challenging, but fun at the same time. The graphics are very pleasing, but simple nonetheless, which makes it all the more beautiful. It's a fun puzzle game that is also rewarding with both the outstanding music pieces and the pride in completing the later, more difficult levels. It makes you think, which is what a puzzle game should do. The only thing I feel that could make this better is to release it mainstream, perhaps with Xbox Live Arcade or something, since at the moment Cipher Prime are only planning to release the full version on their website alongside the demo.

Vanguard1219:
Browser game or not, Auditorium is probably one of the most mesmerizing and beautiful games I've ever had a chance to play, which is impressive considering how simple it really is.

Stop reading the comments and go play it. Now.

Seconded. I've been playing the internet demo for a while, and I was floored when I found out not only is the full game just around the corner, but the Escapist would be featuring it at their IDS. If you haven't played it yet, go now.

The game is prety cool but I cannot help myself thinking the 2 devs sound like twats:)

"I'm into a lot of physical activities that involve real-time problem-solving" - C'mooon!

Wow, what an amazing game. and even a mac guy like me can play it online!!! yay!

I am so impressed with this game. Best I have seen in a long time.

If you like Auditorium, check out Orbient, on the Wiiware channel:
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fFYnXqO1FoMojdvEC9JtQ4B2fRlLX6jI

The play is a cross between flOw and Katamari, though it's as much on the meditative end of the spectrum as flOw and Auditorium.

Simply beautiful, I second all the people who said it felt like relaxing while playing.

Sometimes player stress isn't a requirement of game design.

so relaxing, and visually stunning.

This guy likes Super Stardust HD, so he's awesome. Now I need to try his game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here