The Bad Ideas Guy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Bad Ideas Guy

...And Capcom is pretty much entirely staffed by these guys.

Read Full Article

Eh, too easy to link that JonTron sketch. Somebody else can do it.

Capcom and Sonic Team are way up there when it comes to producing some pretty whacked-out crap.

"Wait a minute, Ray...wot 'ave we done? :c

The smart pistol is not as bad as you'd think it is. It's great for clearing out grunts and spectres, but it's pretty hard to actually do anything against players with. And I certainly found the Carbine easier to use... hell, I even scored more kills when I was using the designated marksman rifle. And what with people moving about the place like paranoid flies on speed, my best guess is that the smart pistol ain't that great.

So... who's the gritty reboot Iron Man-lookalike supposed to be? Or is that just "Arbitrary Gritty Reboot No. 212"?

Also, the Smart Pistol sounds like a decent weapon for people less used to shooters, since as Matthi205 said, it's less easy to use it against players (what with a lock-on, charge-up time) but works well against the AI grunts. It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?

Yeah, in my whole 30 or 40 games so far I don't think I could count on one hand how many times I've seen the smart gun as a source of my death.. Gimmicky but not a game changer.

...I haven't played Titanfall, nor do I plan to, but as far as I can see, it's a faster paced CoD where weapons like the smartgun fit in. If you want more "unfair" weapons, just take a look at the Unreal Tournament or Quake games, where your sniper rifles and railguns were instant hit on crosshairs no matter how you moved. Sure, they don't aim for you, but with a bit of practice, it's far more devastating.

It's also a sign of "smart" design, like Extra Credits pointed out with the noob tube. Easy to use, but there's no point in mastering it and there are far better weapons to learn how to use than just sticking with a low ammo count weapon that you can't really control. That's likely the reason that you can start out with the smart gun and have to unlock the magnum type revovler.

While it certainly does feel like there's this one person at every firm that somehow gets their stupid idea in the door, I think it's rarely a case of ineptitude and more of misunderstanding the choice or a compromise of some sort.

Matthi205:
The smart pistol is not as bad as you'd think it is. It's great for clearing out grunts and spectres, but it's pretty hard to actually do anything against players with. And I certainly found the Carbine easier to use... hell, I even scored more kills when I was using the designated marksman rifle. And what with people moving about the place like paranoid flies on speed, my best guess is that the smart pistol ain't that great.

Yeah. It was better in the beta, it targeted slightly faster (I think, or that's just me). But now, it's not really that great anymore.

I thought I hated the smart pistol too. However, upon using it myself, that thing is a pain in the ass to use. You better not plan on getting anywhere NEAR the line of site of your enemy before you get a full lock on, or else they will cream you before then. It doesn't even aim well as a standard pistol. Most people who kill you with it already had the drop on you, so it's mostly your fault if you die to it.

The_Darkness:
So... who's the gritty reboot Iron Man-lookalike supposed to be? Or is that just "Arbitrary Gritty Reboot No. 212"?

Also, the Smart Pistol sounds like a decent weapon for people less used to shooters, since as Matthi205 said, it's less easy to use it against players (what with a lock-on, charge-up time) but works well against the AI grunts. It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?

Nope, Bomberman for the Xbox 360, I shit you not.

Look at that monstrosity! Did they really think that fans of the game were gonna go for that...thing?

OT: The Smart Pistol from what I've seen of it has limited range and ammunition and has a lock-on time so it's not really a bullshit weapon. However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.

If any major gaming studio is still missing their bad ideas guy and wants to have one because everyone else already has one or several (as this is normally how such things seem to work),
they should feel free to send me offers. I'll supply them with bad ideas at very reasonable rates.

About smart pistols: I don't play Titanfall but what I have heard of the topic (which is far too much) it sounds like it comes down to one perk that decreases the lock-on time. With it, it seems to be annoying and without the perk it seems to be fine/meh. I also hear people might not have figured out yet how to properly avoid the lock-on.
So can people shut up about it now so I can get to not playing and hearing about Titanfall? :(

Ehh I'm going to go ahead and be the black sheep and say that I agree with the comic in that the smart pistol was a terrible idea. It's like playing on easy mode, and it's frustrating to get killed by someone who was just lucky enough to end up / spawn behind you and get an insta-kill without you even getting a chance to maybe turn and fire back.

otakon17:

The_Darkness:

Look at that monstrosity! Did they really think that fans of the game were gonna go for that...thing?

I... Oh.

Oh.

You have got to be kidding- *Checks* -but you're not...

Who in the world thought that was a good idea? What happened to the pink and blue Bomberman that we know and love?!

The Juggernaut perk wasn't that bad. At least if you ran with Stopping Power (which I almost always did) it wasn't. :P

But yeah, auto-aiming weapons are never a good idea. I like the list of names they went through before they settled on Smart Pistol.

The_Darkness:

The iron-man look alike is the reboot failure Bomberman: Act Zero. It was X-box's realistic gritty reboot of the bomberman series that was terrible.

edit: Nevermind, someone else already mentioned it. Should have refreshed before posting. Ha

otakon17:

The_Darkness:

OT: The Smart Pistol from what I've seen of it has limited range and ammunition and has a lock-on time so it's not really a bullshit weapon. However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.

That image just made me extremely angry. Bomberman was a huge part of my childhood, and this... this monstrosity is not him. Fuck Konami. I'm glad that game got beaten to death by reviewers back in 2006.

otakon17:

You had to say it, i shall now post a video.

That aside though, if you use full Havels with his shield you can block basically everything with little to no damage getting through. The only real danger is getting backstabbed or riposted.

Like the person who decided that a big part of skyrim's main quest should involve talking to the greybeards.

First time? it isn't too bad. But considering this is the kind of game someone would do multiple run throughs of, trying different builds...

It is HELLISH to sit through their dull bullshit for the tenth time.

I always find it funny that people use some kind of "reverse defense" to justify the Smart Pistol. "But it's not any good at all so it's not a problem! In fact, it's so bad no one should use it!"

What's the point of having it in the game, then?

The_Darkness:
It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?

How can a terrible weapon that pretty much won't kill any player, good for "letting newer players get a hook into the game"? Also, no, I don't think casualizing your game for an inexperienced fanbase is good. They are the ones who should learn and get good at playing it, not the other way around.

otakon17:

That is the same as...

Oh my childhood...

Edit: Now that I think about it, I faintly remember this game, my brain might have repressed the memory.

OT: I think it was Unskippable that said the Sonic team secretly wants to make games that aren't Sonic games, but are forced to shoehorn the hedgehog in.

I love the Bomberman Act Zero reference. God that is the perfect example.

Smilomaniac:
If you want more "unfair" weapons, just take a look at the Unreal Tournament or Quake games, where your sniper rifles and railguns were instant hit on crosshairs no matter how you moved. Sure, they don't aim for you, but with a bit of practice, it's far more devastating.

Yeah, it's a hugely different dynamic playing a game like that, if you look at the way people play a game like COD and compare it to Quake 3 players like Fatal1ty then you realise stuff that's broken in one game is barely usable in the other.

Of course the other prime example of a broken weapon is the Farsight from Perfect Dark, which is pretty much objectively broken in any game it could appear in.

Does the guy in the second panel look kinda like John Romero to anyone else? Or are the scars still causing me to see his face whenever I hear about bad design and guns in the same sentence?

Are the tumblr comics over? I want more tumblr comics.

wAriot:

The_Darkness:
It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?

How can a terrible weapon that pretty much won't kill any player, good for "letting newer players get a hook into the game"? Also, no, I don't think casualizing your game for an inexperienced fanbase is good. They are the ones who should learn and get good at playing it, not the other way around.

Be aware that you are talking to someone that has never played COD, and has relatively little experience at playing any online multiplayer. I have played FPSes - mostly Halo and L4D - but only as a Single Player experience. PVP is an entirely different beast.

I am also someone that is intending to pick Titanfall up when it comes out on X360. And I genuinely like the sound of the Smart Pistol.

How exactly do you expect me to 'learn and get good at playing it'? If I go up against experienced players, I am guaranteed to die. Usually very quickly. That doesn't get me any experience whatsoever, and I will stay 'not-good'. 'Get good' is not useful advice, thank-you.

On the other hand, if I use the Smart Pistol, I can focus on learning how to move around the map - which is important in any multiplayer FPS, and especially important in Titanfall. I can target the AI grunts, which will give me a chance at staying in the game long enough to actually learn something. And it will allow me to actually contribute in team battles - even if I'm only doing so by exclusively targeting the enemy AI.

As has been pointed out, weapons other than the Smart Pistol are actually more deadly in the hands of an experienced player - which gives me an incentive to learn how to use them once I have actually found my feet in the game. Once I'm decent at handling the less gimicky weapons against the AI, I'll probably be at a stage where I can begin to try my luck against other players.

This isn't 'casualizing' the game for an 'inexperienced fanbase'. This is providing them with a way to play that doesn't feel like running into a brick wall over and over and over again until your nose bleeds and you give up on playing the game.

gigastar:

otakon17:

You had to say it, i shall now post a video.

That aside though, if you use full Havels with his shield you can block basically everything with little to no damage getting through. The only real danger is getting backstabbed or riposted.

Sorry, I laughed too hard at the shrugging on each kill. That was pretty awesome.

only two? hahahaha

The_Darkness:

How exactly do you expect me to 'learn and get good at playing it'? If I go up against experienced players, I am guaranteed to die. Usually very quickly. That doesn't get me any experience whatsoever, and I will stay 'not-good'.

You won't be going against experienced players constantly. Usually 90% of the players in a match will be of low levels. Most likely not much more experienced than you.

If I use the Smart Pistol, I can focus on learning how to move around the map (important in any multiplayer FPS, and especially important in Titanfall). I can target the AI grunts, which will give me a chance at staying in the game long enough to actually learn something. And it will allow me to actually contribute in team battles - even if I'm only doing so by exclusively targeting the enemy AI.

And you would learn faster using a normal weapon. Seriously, the Smart Pistol isn't even good for killing grunts. You would kill as many grunts with it as with a normal rifle. On the other hand, however, you get used to not having to aim, therefore making you WORSE.

As has been pointed out, weapons other than the Smart Pistol are actually more deadly in the hands of an experienced player - which gives me an incentive to learn how to use them once I have actually found my feet in the game. Once I'm decent at handling the less gimicky weapons against the AI, I'll probably be at a stage where I can begin to try my luck against other players.

If you already played other FPSs, you should have any problem, unless you forgot everything about them. The grunt AI is way worse (probably on purpose); and again, most of the players won't be part of MLG. And it's not like it takes THAT long to learn how to play a friggin FPS. So no, the Smart Pistol won't help you a little bit in this matter. If you are bad, it won't make you better. If you are good, it WILL make you worse.

This isn't 'casualizing' the game for an 'inexperienced fanbase'. This is providing them with a way to play that doesn't feel like running into a brick wall over and over and over again until your nose bleeds and you give up on playing the game.

Sorry if I laugh, but this is fucking ridiculous. Multiplayer FPSs have existed for decades, and not even once was a "Smart Pistol" needed (at least not for learning how to play - aim assist in consoles is another matter altogether). Everyone learned with normal weapons, no one complained. It didn't feel like "running into a brick wall", at all.
So unless the newbie gamers that will be playing Titanfall are completely stupid(and I prefer to think they aren't), they would be fine without it.

I don't know CoD that well, but if I remember right, the Juggernaut perk is the one that allows you to be durable enough to survive more than a single burst.
Which fixes one of CoD's main problems.

This joke brought to you by the year 2005.

wAriot:

The_Darkness:

How exactly do you expect me to 'learn and get good at playing it'? If I go up against experienced players, I am guaranteed to die. Usually very quickly. That doesn't get me any experience whatsoever, and I will stay 'not-good'.

You won't be going against experienced players constantly. Usually 90% of the players in a match will be of low levels. Most likely not much more experienced than you.

If I use the Smart Pistol, I can focus on learning how to move around the map (important in any multiplayer FPS, and especially important in Titanfall). I can target the AI grunts, which will give me a chance at staying in the game long enough to actually learn something. And it will allow me to actually contribute in team battles - even if I'm only doing so by exclusively targeting the enemy AI.

And you would learn faster using a normal weapon. Seriously, the Smart Pistol isn't even good for killing grunts. You would kill as many grunts with it as with a normal rifle. On the other hand, however, you get used to not having to aim, therefore making you WORSE.

If you already played other FPSs, you should have any problem, unless you forgot everything about them. The grunt AI is way worse (probably on purpose); and again, most of the players won't be part of MLG. And it's not like it takes THAT long to learn how to play a friggin FPS. So no, the Smart Pistol won't help you a little bit in this matter. If you are bad, it won't make you better. If you are good, it WILL make you worse.

Sorry if I laugh, but this is fucking ridiculous. Multiplayer FPSs have existed for decades, and not even once was a "Smart Pistol" needed (at least not for learning how to play - aim assist in consoles is another matter altogether). Everyone learned with normal weapons, no one complained. It didn't feel like "running into a brick wall", at all.
So unless the newbie gamers that will be playing Titanfall are completely stupid(and I prefer to think they aren't), they would be fine without it.

Multiplayer FPS's have existed for decades, and they have always had smart pistols. At least the good ones. Now, they didn't take the form of a pistol that locks onto the head of your opponent (that's a new one too my knowledge,) but there has always been that newbie friendly weapon that lets new or unskilled players contribute without being an actually great weapon. For example, COD had the noob tube. Not actually a great weapon, but easy to use and thus allowed newer players to contribute. You didn't really have to aim it to be successful. Just point in the general direction of the opponent and fire.

Noob weapons like this can be traced all the way back to the original Counter Strike. It is a well established design principle of Multiplayer FPS's. The exact form of noob weapons depend on the needs of the game but the point is always the same: a weapon that lets new players contribute without actually being good in order to smooth out the difficulty curve.

The reason why Titanfall's noob weapon takes the form of an auto locking pistol is that the game is based on both vertical and horizontal movement - hitting a flying target with a grenade is super hard. Thus the smart pistol. You don't really have to aim it, just point it in the general direction and fire. And yet it is undeniable an inferior weapon.

The_Darkness:

That was the point of the Sawed-Off shotgun in Gears of War 3. To give new-comers a chance against gnasher "pros." The Gnasher community raged with a hard-on that I usually reserve for pornstars on a cocktail of viagra and cocaine. The sawed off was nerfed into uselessness. Titanfall doesn't have a pre-existing fanbase of "gnasher lovers," so the smart pistol may get a pass. Time will tell.

wAriot:
I always find it funny that people use some kind of "reverse defense" to justify the Smart Pistol. "But it's not any good at all so it's not a problem! In fact, it's so bad no one should use it!"

What's the point of having it in the game, then?

Smart pistol isn't terrible unless you use it like an SMG or carbine. It's almost completely useless in a "fair" fight with a pilot but if you avoid their attention long enough to get a full lock you can kill them instantly. The smart locking can also help you spot enemies. Plus it's very satisfying to watch a bunch of minions simultaneously drop dead.

DrOswald:

Multiplayer FPS's have existed for decades, and they have always had smart pistols. At least the good ones. Now, they didn't take the form of a pistol that locks onto the head of your opponent (that's a new one too my knowledge,) but there has always been that newbie friendly weapon that lets new or unskilled players contribute without being an actually great weapon. For example, COD had the noob tube. Not actually a great weapon, but easy to use and thus allowed newer players to contribute. You didn't really have to aim it to be successful. Just point in the general direction of the opponent and fire.

Right and wrong. Yes, the grenade launcher was a noob weapon (hence "noob tube"), because it is easy to get kills with it. But it wasn't designed like that. Most people despised the noob tube and its users. If the game had dedicated servers, most would forbid it, or would ban you for using it. On the other hand, the Smart Pistol is clearly designed to be easy to use (and I emphasize easy to use, not easy to kill with), but you won't get kills with it, or at least not many.

Noob weapons like this can be traced all the way back to the original Counter Strike. It is a well established design principle of Multiplayer FPS's. The exact form of noob weapons depend on the needs of the game but the point is always the same: a weapon that lets new players contribute without actually being good in order to smooth out the difficulty curve.

And again: those weapons weren't designed for new players. Those weapons were just broken. There was no designer or developer that said "hey, you know what? Let's make a weapon that lets new players kill easily". You know why? Because that's fucking stupid. And also again: most broken weapons are usually banned, if the game allows it.

The reason why Titanfall's noob weapon takes the form of an auto locking pistol is that the game is based on both vertical and horizontal movement - hitting a flying target with a grenade is super hard. Thus the smart pistol.

I'm not sure what kind of point are you trying to make here. They could make "smart grenades" that fly to the enemy (like in Borderlands). Now THAT would be a broken weapon.

You don't really have to aim it, just point it in the general direction and fire. And yet it is undeniable an inferior weapon.

Exactly. And therefore there is no point for it. Yes, you don't have to aim. No, you won't kill anyone. Why the hell would you use it? Just learn how to properly use a rifle.

The Wooster:
The Bad Ideas Guy

...And Capcom is pretty much entirely staffed by these guys.

Read Full Article

That would explain Resident Evil 6, then. Hiyoooooooh!
Having not played Titanfall (yet), all this defending of the Smart Pistol in the comments has me thinking Grey winds up on the wrong end of that thing way too often.

The_Darkness:

otakon17:

The_Darkness:

Who THE FUCK thought THAT was a brilliant idea?! I thought I successfully repressed that in my memory, but it just came back! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I... Oh.

Oh.

You have got to be kidding- *Checks* -but you're not...

Who in the world thought that was a good idea? What happened to the pink and blue Bomberman that we know and love?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here