Jimquisition: Why The PS4 Is Kicking Xbox One's Arse

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Why The PS4 Is Kicking Xbox One's Arse

Sorry bro, but we're dropping science to prove this, bro. Bro. Bro.

Watch Video

I'm not a console gamer, but the PS4 is more powerful than the xbone, has a hard drive you can upgrade yourself, doesn't come bundled with useless accessories only a small portion of people would want. But mostly I'd say it is kicking the xbox ones ass mostly because it costs less.

I can't really comment on Jim's hypothesis, because well I have no experience with either consoles game library but just from a hardware perspective if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to buy one of the consoles I'd buy the PS4 hands down.

synobal:
I'd say it is kicking the xbox ones ass mostly because it costs less.

We have a winner.

It's basically too expensive, here in the UK the Xbox One has been doing relatively well, at least from the retails taff I've spoken to, and Titanfall has given it a massive push. Sony did lose a lot of good will here with the PS3 though.

Both consoles are decent machines though, I personally could find more use for the X1 at this point that the PS4, since I do most of my gaming on PC and jsut need something lazy as a media hub for the living room. I could build a PC fdor that easily enough but I tinker with them way too much.

Xbox One hasn't even launched here in Finland (and some other countries). It will launch THIS AUTUMN if rumours are to be believed, so there is that too.

I still dont understand why indi games cant be system sellers...
Some of them are flat out better (subject to personal subjective opinion) then AAA games. Or last longer. Or have better storylines...

Basically, shouldn't people just look at what the best version of multiplatform games is at and whether it has a good amount of games (AAA or indi) and mod support when buying a game? Sounds more logical, considering that objectively speaking, neither The Last of Us, nor STALKER nor Papers Please nor Titanfall are strictly better then each other...

I need ot sleep...

Since I agree with you, I'm not wrong.
Also the chances of Microsoft pulling it's head out of it's ass are about the same as the sky turning green (and I don't mean during a sunset).

Charcharo:
Some of them are flat out better (subject to personal subjective opinion) then AAA games. Or last longer. Or have better storylines...

From a pure logistical standpoint, they do not have the marketing money to become identified with a system the way Titanfall or Uncharted can. Furthermore, their digital exclusivity means they can't really occupy shelf space in a world where physical media is still a massive influence and will obviously attract the attention from window shoppers when they're at a store looking at consoles.

It's nothing to do with their quality or superiority over AAA games. I think many indie games are as legit, if not moreso, than major publisher games. But the vast majority of console buyers are going to see them after the bigger, more widespread, physically available games get their attention.

Simple facts, nothing to do with one's opinion on whether or not indie games are good/better.

If only the Xbox One had launched with the awesome features it was promising like DRM, Always on Kinect, and mandatory 24 hour internet checks

I don't have much interest in either system. But Jim makes a sound argument. I do question lumping in Nintendo with Microsoft with this though. Nintendo Directs in the past have been used to promote Indie titles. I think the one in December even had a montage of 30 or so indie titles coming to Wii U and 3DS. Titles that outside of Shantae I had little interest in. But After seeing them in the directs (which are aimed clearly aimed at Nintendo fans above all) made me decide to go for many more.

I am not saying Sony isn't doing it better. But Indies are getting attention from Nintendo as well.

YOU SONY FANBOY IN THE POCKET OF THE SAID COMPANY!!! (just kidding ;) )

*ahem*

after all the drm and shit MS tried to push on the xbone, i am actually happy the system is failing! and this is coming from someone who used to swear by Xbox360

also i think, as always, you hit every single nail on the head with your arguments!

canadamus_prime:
Also the chances of Microsoft pulling it's head out of it's ass are about the same as the sky turning green (and I don't mean during a sunset).

Sony seemed to get a lot smarter after they got their ass kicked by Nintendo and to a lesser extent Microsoft, getting their ass kicked is the only way companies realize they made a mistake.

Charcharo:

What I see is that indie games are not as complex nor as long as AAA games. Now people who don't mind game playthrough length but instead latch onto concepts that hold strong (such as Octodad's funky physics, The Binding of Isaac's hundreds of mix-and-match items, and Don't Starve's sense of adventure) ... probably have a powerful-enough PC instead. And thus, indie games that have been ported over are not system sellers. But as for indie exclusives like Journey and The Unfinished Swan, I can't speak for everyone, but if I were to get a PS3 (which I won't due to a lack of future potential that the PS4 has instead), those two games would be reasons why.

The White Hunter:

synobal:

We have a winner.

It's basically too expensive, here in the UK the Xbox One has been doing relatively well, at least from the retails taff I've spoken to, and Titanfall has given it a massive push. Sony did lose a lot of good will here with the PS3 though.

Both consoles are decent machines though, I personally could find more use for the X1 at this point that the PS4, since I do most of my gaming on PC and jsut need something lazy as a media hub for the living room. I could build a PC fdor that easily enough but I tinker with them way too much.

Wheter or not it's related to Jim's video (Blessed is the mind too small to doubt the word of Jim!), I still think it's relevant to bring up that, in Canada, Sony is hiking up the price of the PS4 to 449.99$.

While I don't think this'll change anything (Sony's more or less dominating the current itteration of the Console Wars), it will still be interesting to see how many, if any, customers are gonna jump to the 'bone now that the pisser is closeing the gap in terms of price.

Eh, I disagree on the games front, Jim. None of the games on PS4, bar Octodad even vaguely interest me, whereas the non-AAA stuff (Max and the Curse of Brotherhood, Zoo Tycoon etc) on Xbox One has kept me playing the One between the big launches.

But I suppose that's very much different strokes for different folks.

And I can't disagree about anything else.

I really like the intro to this week's episode. Combined with the topic there is nothing that could ever go wrong!

Hmm... good episode. Quite frankly, I don't get the whole accusing critics of being paid fanboys of this or that company. Even on the off-off-off-off-off chance that you're right... what's the use?

And besides, 97% of the time, you are dead wrong.

Also... isn't "paid fanboy" a bit of an oxymoron anyway?

Good episode at any rate, Mr. Sterling.

Also... the ad has me curious...

anyone know what Psycho Pass is? Some anime, I know... but anyone know if its any good? Or roughly what its about?

I could tell microsoft was desperate just two days ago, when I saw the Titanfall and Xbox One bundle costing the same as a lone Xbox One. And also that we usually sell out of PS4s a couple hours after we put them on the floor and still have about six Xbox Ones sitting in our storage.

Great video as usual. It even looked like you were about to cry at the end after naming all those names.

Jimothy Sterling:

Charcharo:

From a pure logistical standpoint, they do not have the marketing money to become identified with a system the way Titanfall or Uncharted can. Furthermore, their digital exclusivity means they can't really occupy shelf space in a world where physical media is still a massive influence and will obviously attract the attention from window shoppers when they're at a store looking at consoles.

It's nothing to do with their quality or superiority over AAA games. I think many indie games are as legit, if not moreso, than major publisher games. But the vast majority of console buyers are going to see them after the bigger, more widespread, physically available games get their attention.

Simple facts, nothing to do with one's opinion on whether or not indie games are good/better.

I would also say that anyone truly invested in the indie scene and more unique games is probably going to be looking to be getting into the PC space. The 'next gen' needs to have a WHOLE lot more content, price cuts and more certain and better DLC and micro-purchase polices before I'm even close to sold on it. Indie games or more 'off the radar' games ARE a system seller for me but i am a person who prefers more open platforms.

The PS4 seems to be absolutely dominating by virtue of being "Not horrible". I know that sounds like damming with faint praise and i suppose it is but consoles seem to have got to the "Don't fuck it up too much and you'll be okay" point. Which i suppose makes Microsoft's dismal failure all the more baffling. Sony simply has common sense; "These games seem good and run quite easily, lets have them on our platform"

Xman490:

Charcharo:

What I see is that indie games are not as complex nor as long as AAA games. Now people who don't mind game playthrough length but instead latch onto concepts that hold strong (such as Octodad's funky physics, The Binding of Isaac's hundreds of mix-and-match items, and Don't Starve's sense of adventure) ... probably have a powerful-enough PC instead. And thus, indie games that have been ported over are not system sellers. But as for indie exclusives like Journey and The Unfinished Swan, I can't speak for everyone, but if I were to get a PS3 (which I won't due to a lack of future potential that the PS4 has instead), those two games would be reasons why.

@ Jim. Thanks, that is logical... though I dont believe its all that important for VERY informed gamers, but you do have a point.

@Xman490
Well, the longest most complex games I ever played were either PC exclusives or mods... to the PC exclusives.
But that is also not a measure of quality. Some indi games, like lets say, Minecraft or NS2 and more are quite long and very complex/replayable.

Of course those guys are awesome. Especially wangtasm. All hail wangtasm!

Is not a matter from "better than", is more like "less wrong", both consoles still doesn't have backward compatibility.

themilo504:

canadamus_prime:

Sony seemed to get a lot smarter after they got their ass kicked by Nintendo and to a lesser extent Microsoft, getting their ass kicked is the only way companies realize they made a mistake.

Yes, but Microsoft has all the self-awareness of a rock with a face drawn on it.

I don't expect Xbox fanboys to leap out at you claiming Sony fanboyism, I expect PC gamers to highlight this episode and go "See, the Xbox One is shit, and everything good said about the PS4 in this video is better on PC".

It's just the price that's effecting performance, that and the ripples of the DRM for the Xbox One.

Then again I live in the UK which guarantees seeing Xbox One success because of the devotion to the Xbox original and 360, so this "failure" of the Xbox One's sales/quality will not effect me in the slightest.

Heh, this video is laughable. Both systems over their lifespans will sell a comparable amount of units. Most people aren't upgrading to EITHER system because of their currently being no good reason to do so. I would be curious to see the XBOX 360/1 and Ps3/4 sales numbers for the same time period.

I am a little surprised at how little Jim understands about what would have been possible if MS had not caved to the vocal minority and left the system as was intended. One of the reasons the next gen doesn't feel so innovative is the fact that they eliminated a bunch of things that would have paved the way for full featured digital distribution and gaming... there was more to always online than DRM.

I just don't understand all this Indie love, there are only a couple of Indie games that I have enjoyed and one is Minecraft. I am also getting sick of the PS+ love. PS+ deserved love until they used it to lock multiplayer behind a paywall. Even though PS+ is just full of Indie bullshit that I don't care to play, I still think it deserved praise until they validated Live Gold. Just when the masses were finally turning against Microsoft for charging for multiplayer, Sony validated it and most people just go on pretending that PS+ is the same as it was last gen.

Charcharo:
I still dont understand why indie games cant be system sellers...

They can to us. Transistor was a major reason in my decision to get a PS4.

Anyone who cares enough about games to visit a site like this is going to care about games and the industry and a great indie title can make a big difference. But to the average Joe out there, the ones who don't know about any games that they haven't seen on television or heard about from their friends, an indie game probably wouldn't convince those customers while Call of Duty 14 with actually rendered nose hairs and a pet monkey you can pilot for 42 seconds might sway a purchase decision while Octodad might not.

They arent kicking anyones ass. Silly video.

Mangod:

The White Hunter:

synobal:

We have a winner.

Wheter or not it's related to Jim's video (Blessed is the mind too small to doubt the word of Jim!), I still think it's relevant to bring up that, in Canada, Sony is hiking up the price of the PS4 to 449.99$.

While I don't think this'll change anything (Sony's more or less dominating the current itteration of the Console Wars), it will still be interesting to see how many, if any, customers are gonna jump to the 'bone now that the pisser is closeing the gap in terms of price.

Or those who doubt and qwuestion are the ones that learn. But ok.

It does suck that they're hiking the price in Canada, but from what I understand the canadian dollar has been doing rather shit, that said Sony do like to shit on non-Americans from a great height when possible. Remember; it could be worse, it could be SCEE,

I agree with you on several points Jim, but not all.

Yes, the PS4 is killing the Xbox One at the moment. It's cheaper, more powerful and has more quality titles.

However... it still does not have enough games that make me want to run out and purchase one. I got a custom built PC last year, and while it's not quite as powerful as the next gen consoles, it just needs a better graphics card and it would be.

Until the PS4 has multiple console-exclusives I want (e.g. Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, Uncharted 4) to go with Infamous: Second Son, I won't be getting one. I can play all the multi-plat games I want on my PC.

Playstation Plus though? That shit is DOPE! I consistently install at least one PS3 or Vita game per month, and while I haven't got around to playing them all yet (Dark Souls is eating all my free time right now), I feel that I've got much more than my money's worth.

Games like Catherine, Metal Gear Rising, Gravity Rush, Dragon's Dogma, Soul Sacrifice, Little Big Planet Karting, Sonic Allstars Racing... the list goes on. I love it and will keep my subscription even if I don't get a PS4 in the near future, props to Sony for continuing to support their other platforms even after the PS4's launch.

The main reason I'm using my xbox one more it because it is connected to and controls my cable box and also the youtube app(up your game sony).

It's good to see Sony making some decent moves, but I'll always have my PC :P

Anyone that wasn't suffering fanboy delusions could see this coming. After Microsoft's wretched policies (pre-reversal, but some remain), higher price, forced Kinect, and #DealWithIt attitude, if the PS4 didn't come out on top there would be something seriously wrong with gaming.

BL-4CT:
Is not a matter from "better than", is more like "less wrong", both consoles still doesn't have backward compatibility.

You do realise just how difficult backwards compatibility between completely different hardware is right? The only way to get it to function properly is to have previous gen hardware in the same box. That means buying two consoles in one, and bumping up the price quite a bit.

Nice episode, must say I agree with everything presented in it; it succinctly explains my feelings.

However I would also like to mention that Sony is also treating its internet usage with a bit more sense. Stuff like titanfall for XB1 will require 35gb of sound files to be downloaded, and this is on top of ridiculous patch sizes for other games like dead rising etc etc. Now, while my country isn't the main market for the xb1, I don't think the average USA citizen has the internet cap to keep up with all this from what I've read.

All of this, coupled with the design of windows 8 gives me the impression that Microsoft's developers are making these things for themselves, in their digital utopias, without understanding the reality of internet costs and infrastructure in the rest of their own country let alone the whole world.

###

BTW too much light on your face in this episode, Jim, looks rather horrible and overexposed. the light on the lectern was just fine though.

Bottom line, people who call others fanboys are fanboys themselves. You don't need to listen to those people and they certainly don't have anything constructive to say.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here