Escapist News Now: Gauntlet Returns to Steam

Gauntlet Returns to Steam

Red Wizard needs food badly.

Watch Video

Yup, I played Gauntlet back in the day, on an Amstrad. Fun times, but all a little hazy.

I played the ps2 version, dark legacy - and it was awesome. This one looks a bit washed out in comparison, and the roster of characters (well over 10) seems to have taken a trim

bunnielovekins:
I played the ps2 version, dark legacy - and it was awesome. This one looks a bit washed out in comparison, and the roster of characters (well over 10) seems to have taken a trim

I had the same thought, they already rebooted this and did a fairly good job with it, and this seems like a half hearted attempt in comparison.

That said, it will be interesting to see if they do anything with the "Carnevil" property. I'd love to have that particular light gun game (cabinet and all) in my house. Sadly the odds of be able to ever afford (or find room for) something like that seem minimal. I believe that was a Midway title, so there is some vague hope. :)

The n64 version was probably the best standalone game - the PS2 attempt was... weak? Overblown? Drawn-out? Those kinds of hack-n-slash games are good to jump into content and roll over enemies, but with long, winding levels with various puzzles and mazes to get lost in, the later levels of Dark Legacy took well over 30 minutes for a single clear... and if you missed a runestone, good luck finding the care to re-clear that shit anytime soon (the worst offender, if memory serves, was the Dream World - did not like it at all. Long, samey looking levels with very little variation in monster type or anything. The shorter, more colorful and vibrant levels featured in legends (that were ported over to Dark Legacy) were definitely the strongest ones.

I had the old Black Tengen Gauntlet cart for the NES but never played it in the arcades so I have absolutely no idea how close to the original experience my game play was. But I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy were pretty decent as well, the prior being one of the only reasons I'd blow the dust off my N64 when friends would come over.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows wasn't quite up to snuff. It was a fun enough game but way too short and didn't really offer and replay. My girlfriend and I managed to plow through it in a single sitting and I only picked it up once or twice afterwards.

This new game looks to be trying to scale back to the original game while keeping some of the improvements made by Legends. Depending on the final price I may pick it up on Steam.

On the subject of Remakes of Midway games. I'd really like to see them take another stab as the Rampage series. Rampage World Tour was a lot of fun but they got a little too formulaic with the 6 or 7 titles that followed. Give me a monster and an open world mission based sandbox game to play in and I'll probably be pretty content.

The Gauntlet arcade game existed for one reason only...to swallow quarters. Move a step, lose some life...more quarters. Get hit, lose some life...more quarters. Time ticks away...lose some life....more quarters...Yellow Wizard is about to die. More quarters.

SoulChaserJ:
The Gauntlet arcade game existed for one reason only...to swallow quarters. Move a step, lose some life...more quarters. Get hit, lose some life...more quarters. Time ticks away...lose some life....more quarters...Yellow Wizard is about to die. More quarters.

I'm still paying off the bookie that young me borrowed money from for that game.

I played II the most. I used to have a friend who owned the game and arcade I used to go in and he hand me the key and told me to put the button above the coin box (the non counting credit button) I put 10K at a time as Blue Elf. :P I laughed when I played a Yellow Warrior and kept shooting the food and hear "Yellow Warrior shot the food!" LOL. Gauntlet being remade like that looks fun. Co-Op even more so. However, It will be some time before I can play after release. And if any game that needs a HD remake is Cadash and Pacland.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here