Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Metal Gear Solid: The Ghostly Ouchies

Metal Gear Solid: The Ghostly Ouchies

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Jim, you are pulling my strings here buddy.
And ouch, shots fired at MGS 5 ... literally too.

A good week as always guys, good as always.

"Now how about that wank we discussed?" Well, if you're offering....

I have to say, Jim's "poem" had me genuinely laughing out loud; I almost sat down to read something in the same way I always do when MGS credits play. Also: yeah yeah Yatzhee, I'm a ten year delinquent who can't talk to girls because I love games with violence in them, whatever!

It... It is 2014. :(

Royston pickles... Is this by any chance a combination of Royston Vasey (Roy Chubby Brown) and Eric Pickles (world's fattest politician)?

Or am I just reading into this a little too much?

You mean the second verse isn't going to be paid DLC?

That second part was so deep it spoke to me at a fundamental level of humanity. *wipes away a tear*

Yahtzee's rhyme was very clever and pretty damn funny too.

Jim's... leaves me baffled. Is he stopping doing these? That's almost what it seemed he was saying? I'm confused.

TornadoADV:
That second part was so deep it spoke to me at a fundamental level of humanity. *wipes away a tear*

Agreed. There's so much of the human condition that could only be explored from the perspective of a poem-saying legend such as Jim. When the legendary second verse comes out, it will be the greatest story to ever have been told through the medium of poetry on an online show, and it will become the legend that shapes the very fabric of humanity's existence for eons to come. I eagerly await the making of the legend.

There wasn't enough Sara McLachlan in Jim's half. I know it was a MSG5 joke, but I half expected to see pictures of sad puppies and starving children by the end.

MonkeyPunch:

Jim's... leaves me baffled. Is he stopping doing these? That's almost what it seemed he was saying? I'm confused.

Jim's is quite open to interpretation, but I'm taking it as a dig at games that are released unfinished yet we're asked to pay a hefty price (up to what we would consider a "full" price for a game). I might go back and rewatch it to see if he tries to plug a DLC in there too.

This week's definitely makes up for last week.

Wait Jim! Bro! Tell me you're not quitting the poetry game man!It can't be Jim/Yatzhee Rhymedown without you know...Jim.

Regarding Jim's, I'd say it makes a lot more sense if you read his review on the recent MGS payable (sic) demo.

Jim, we're losing your signal. Jim, we can't hear you! Jim? Jim?! JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!

->Continue
Exit

Jim I don't think that technically can be counted as a poem, but it was funny so I'll give it a pass.

"The Ghostly Ouchies" is an absolutely hilarious name.
Thank you very much for making me laugh this much!

Silentpony:
Wait Jim! Bro! Tell me you're not quitting the poetry game man!It can't be Jim/Yatzhee Rhymedown without you know...Jim.

Tono Makt:

MonkeyPunch:

Jim's is quite open to interpretation, but I'm taking it as a dig at games that are released unfinished yet we're asked to pay a hefty price (up to what we would consider a "full" price for a game). I might go back and rewatch it to see if he tries to plug a DLC in there too.

This week's definitely makes up for last week.

MonkeyPunch:

It's a dig at the way Metal Gear Solid V is being released, with Ground Zeroes essentially being a short demo for the rest of the game that they decided to release ahead of time for a premium cost for some reason. Probably because Kojima.

Jim, no! MGSV didn't mean it!

Simply the best Rhymedown Spectacular I have seen so far.

Bravo Jim! Thou truly are mehtchurr!

Yahztee was pretty good too.

Yahtzee's was good but Jim's made me laugh because I actually found myself understanding his critique of the MGS in a far more relatable way... Thanks, I get it now:)

Having never played any of the Metal Gear Solid series, Jim's poem left me a bit confused. I'm guessing he was taking a swipe at the franchise for having its head too far up its own pretentious bottom.

I liked both this time, Mr. Croshaw's for actual verse, and Mr. Sterling's for the clever presentation. Thank you both.

I was thoroughly amused by Mr. Croshaw today.

It took me a minute to get what Jim was going for, but laughed once I got it. I was uncertain if it was genuine or not for a few seconds since it's the kind of thing I've resigned myself to expect from trailers and the industry.

2:16 "Sir, I paid 40 bucks for this. I paid for a fighter. There is no fighting in this. I'm just here to exchange this for something else, so PLEASE don't judge me, ok?" Good as always, guys, but uh...Yahtzee? Kind of heavy handed, isn't it?

ewhac:
Having never played any of the Metal Gear Solid series, Jim's poem left me a bit confused. I'm guessing he was taking a swipe at the franchise for having its head too far up its own pretentious bottom.

Kinda. His poem was both a swipe at how pretentious the series presents itself to be, as well as a swipe at the fact that they just sold a sliver of the latest one for too much. See his Ground Zeroes review to get the full gist of it.

Oh my stars, I laughed so hard at Jim's I had to watch it twice. Thanks for that, good sir!

I tip my hat to the brilliance, cleverness and humor of Yahtzees poem. Very well written and quite on point of the topic of "Mature" games.

Regarding the "poem" of Jim, I fear that this was too meta for me O_o

fractal_butterfly:
I tip my hat to the brilliance, cleverness and humor of Yahtzees poem. Very well written and quite on point of the topic of "Mature" games.

Regarding the "poem" of Jim, I fear that this was too meta for me O_o

Something tells me it explains the duration of MGSV gameplay...

I have to admit, I might have laughed a bit too hard at Jim's bit.

I read (watched?) Yahtzee's poem not as a statement against violent cockheads (no offense to any violent cockheads reading this), but more as a mordant observation that what is labelled "Mature" or "For Mature Audiences" in mass entertainment is often anything but.

Also, loved the hand gestures in Jim's part. "Show, don't tell," as they always say.

Oh wow, Yahtzee that was great; mature is definitely the wrong word for the sort of games I want. And Jim's was just magnificent, just the hand gestures with the pretentious music and exposition - seriously, how does Hideo Kojima still expect MGS to be taken seriously?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here