Sony Reveals PS4 VR Headset, Project Morpheus

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Reveals PS4 VR Headset, Project Morpheus

There were some surprises in store at Sony's GDC 2014 session, titled "Driving the Future of Innovation."

Read Full Article

Yes, I was hoping I'd be able to strap a couple screens to my face in the near future. All aboard the hype train, boys!

And this is how VR can be ruined, do you remember when games didnt really used the mouse and were all around keyboards? Now imagine that the introduction of the mouses were made slowly with each set of games needing a specific mouse. Screw that, imagine if Adobe software like Photoshop or After Effects needed a different mouse from Windows software like Windows Movie Maker or Paint.

Couldnt Sony just make the PS4 Rift compatible and get positive PR as their console could let players use Rift in it (getting an edge over the competition)? We all know this shit will barely be supported by Sony if we use Move as an example.

josemlopes:
And this is how VR can be ruined, do you remember when games didnt really used the mouse and were all around keyboards? Now imagine that the introduction of the mouses were made slowly with each set of games needing a specific mouse. Screw that, imagine if Adobe software like Photoshop or After Effects needed a different mouse from Windows software like Windows Movie Maker or Paint.

Couldnt Sony just make the PS4 Rift compatible and get positive PR as their console could let players use Rift in it (getting an edge over the competition)? We all know this shit will barely be supported by Sony if we use Move as an example.

Depends on if they work completely differently. It's not like having many different mice with different features has ruined what they were basically for. What's so bad about a little competition?

I'm still not sure VR is going to be the next big thing, but if it is, good that there's going to be some competition for the Rift.

I know what you're thinkin'. I've been thinking the exact same thing. Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

Obvious VR application - the upcoming Mirrors Edge 2, not due for release until 2016. All we need now is a pricepoint and I can plan on getting my VR on.

josemlopes:

This analogy is really really bad. Its not a "set of games", its an entirely different platform running a similar set of games to the PC. So, the analogy would be more like if "Imagine if, when mice came out, you needed a different mouse for PC's and Mac's." Which is how it was when computer mice became a thing.

Besides, the Rift isn't anywhere close to ready for mass consumer production, and won't be for a good couple of years, and even then, it'll very likely be horrifically expensive. Sony don't want to be beholden to any other company for stuff to differentiate their hardware, especially when that group could still screw up royal with the consumer rollout.

I guess they could've bought Occulus, but I reckon you'd be complaining about that.

Toadfish1:

Besides, the Rift isn't anywhere close to ready for mass consumer production, and won't be for a good couple of years, and even then, it'll very likely be horrifically expensive.

They're aiming for a price in the neighborhood of $300, which is not horrifically expensive. Also, it has been estimated(though without a firm date) for a release of Q3 2014 which doesn't sound much like a couple years from now. It could be that the component shortage they ran into will delay that, but I doubt it will be by a factor of years.

Yes, a VR system for a closed system with hardware that can barely do 1080p with ONE screen.
Might as well just copy my post from the previous thread about this.

A machine that can barely reach 1080p @ 60 fps is going to support VR now? Yeah, not happening, unless they make it at 480p or something, but that's just vomit-inducing. This will most likely be seen as a short-lived gimmick, just as the Move was, especially with it being made for a closed platform in mind. The reason OR is taking off now is because of how open PCs and the device are in nature. Sony can't provided that openness.

"What if I told you there is a VR system soon available that works with more than just the PS4?" Seriously, Sony should make this compatible with all systems. The Rift is about to come out and unless this blows away the Rift(doubt there's much difference) anyone with a PS4 and PC are going Rifting, if they want VR.

josemlopes:

If you look at the images Sony had a working prototype of this in 2010, since the Rift wasn't even created until 2012 that means they had already put in at least 2 years of R&D into this thing at that point. They probably couldn't justify throwing that money away by scrapping all that work and just allowing the Rift onto their system at that point, when they could instead possibly make back their losses by releasing it.

OT: Honestly having used the Rift I can't get to excited for VR in general, It was really fun and felt groundbreaking for about 30 minutes then it just gave me a massive headache and I had to lie down for a while. This type of tech just isn't for me.

What is real? How do you define real?

Hopefully this won't be just another WiiU second screen and will actually be used to it's full potential when games want to use it rather than forcing developers to use it

As opposed to say The move that is really only a good replacement for a gun, a VR helmet is a good way to spice up the stagnating FP games, by replacing the left analog stick with neck movement. But beyond First Person games it's hard to say where this could be applicable?

But then it would be something that could go well with the move particularly with sword fighting games or something. Lots of neat stuff you could do, but it relies upon some investment on Sony's part, which isn't their strongest suite.

This seems like more fun though than a tablet controller and the kinect as far as gimmicks go.

MrHide-Patten:
But beyond First Person games it's hard to say where this could be applicable?

But then it would be something that could go well with the move particularly with sword fighting games or something

Which is a lot like looking at an early console, and saying "beyond digital toys, it's hard to say where it will be applicable to improve TVs. Maybe it could be used to watch interactive movies, or something". A lack of imagination, expecting VR to fit into the mold rather than define it.

VR is basically a whole new paradigm of entertainment. While technically "first person" viewpoints are the best for it, rather than play catchup with existing video game genres, it's far more likely to carve out it's own medium for people who want to be present at certain places virtually, which is not necessarily the same demographic as people who want to murder things on a screen by clicking on them.

hopefully the PS4 can run VR properly

also is it just me or Sony is getting a bit... gimmicky, i mean, move, 3D, that touchpad thingie on the DS4, now VR

maybe they should explore their indeas more carefully instead of simply throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks, lets hope they explore VR long enough to implement it in a meaningful way before their ADHD kicks in

Alterego-X:

MrHide-Patten:
But beyond First Person games it's hard to say where this could be applicable?

But then it would be something that could go well with the move particularly with sword fighting games or something

Which is a lot like looking at an early console, and saying "beyond digital toys, it's hard to say where it will be applicable to improve TVs. Maybe it could be used to watch interactive movies, or something". A lack of imagination, expecting VR to fit into the mold rather than define it.

VR is basically a whole new paradigm of entertainment. While technically "first person" viewpoints are the best for it, rather than play catchup with existing video game genres, it's far more likely to carve out it's own medium for people who want to be present at certain places virtually, which is not necessarily the same demographic as people who want to murder things on a screen by clicking on them.

Well fitting the mold is how you get luddites and investors interested in ideas, they don't want to throw money at unproven concepts, which is part of the problem with the triple A scene. If it doesn't find somewhere to sit, it's going to miss the the show going forward and will lose it's chance to define and make an impact in future. Mobile games found their place among common apps and have become their own little section of the mobile industry. VR will be the same, operating through familiar concepts that people can invest in, so more creative uses can be brought to their attention.

MrHide-Patten:
snip

I don't doubt that the first VR experiences will be rather game-like, or outright FPS-like, I'm talking about how on the long term it's potential isn't really limited by what we CURRENTLY perceive as a small fragment of gaming.

Like how a few decades ago consoles would have seemed this gimmicky toy that you attach to a TV for a very specific type of amusement one of the many things you do with your TV, until it turned out that this specific type of amusement actually had a massive appeal in the public interest, so it turned into it's own medium with many genres and styles and shapes and sizes, to the point where it's arguably the bigger medium of the two.

Luddites and investors might need a High Concept pitch at first, but they are also the ones who just expect the thing to *work*, where technophiles are limited by their preconception of how everything needs to be a more evolved form of a previous technology. "Put this on your head to feel like you are somewhere else" is the kind of universally understandable pitch that could very quickly break away from traditional gameplay methods, and be used for anything from ambient exploration to movielike narratives, and from technical simulations to long distance face-to-face communication.

There you go, the "new medium for developers." Sony's 3D went well, looking forward to this one...

I don't think it still counts as an 'innovation' if someone else has already made a better working version of it. More like follovation.

josemlopes:

Ya, and while they're at it they should add support for PC gamepads, including the new Steam controller, and maybe allow hardware upgrades, and game modding too. I think you probably see where I'm going with this.

Olas:
I don't think it still counts as an 'innovation' if someone else has already made a better working version of it. More like follovation.

Considering the Rift came about in 2012 and SOny's been working on theirs since 2010, yeah the Rift is the one doing the follovation from that perspective.

Also Sony hasn't even released theirs yet and the Rift is still full of bugs, isn't fully wireless, doesn't look 100% consumer friendly and so far works for only one platform just like how Sony's one will so I don't know how it suddenly makes the Rift 100% factually written in stone hands down better...

If anything it's good to give Sony's a chance rather than just lumping in with the Rift hype crowd since it's been made obvious for a while now since Sony started talking more of their VR that Rift fans would come out and talk against it because it's not the Rift, as if every market has to cater only to them.

Also if anyone wishes Sony's VR to work with PC I'd think it would only be fair and fitting if it worked the same with the Rift, you know to keep both markets "fair" if we're going down that route.

I don't care until it's here to be honest, like Kinect, Move and Wii before it, the tech is not as interesting as what developers will actually make for it.
All I hope right now is that Sony learns from Microsoft on naming the thing. Project Nathal sounded freaking awesome, Kinect sounds boring. Project Morpheus sounds awesome, please just launch it as that.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Olas:

Considering the Rift came about in 2012 and SOny's been working on theirs since 2010, yeah the Rift is the one doing the follovation from that perspective.

Why should I care how long ago they 'started' working on it? It doesn't matter how long you began developing something if someone else has already beaten you to the finish line; they still managed to bring it from concept to reality before you have.

And let's not pretend like 2010 was the first time anyone's ever thought about or even tried to make a virtual reality headset. It's almost as classic an idea as hoverboards and jetpacks, except it happens to be somewhat practical. Nintendo could argue they were prototyping this kind of thing in the mid 90s with their virtual boy.

Also Sony hasn't even released theirs yet and the Rift is still full of bugs, isn't fully wireless, doesn't look 100% consumer friendly and so far works for only one platform just like how Sony's one will so I don't know how it suddenly makes the Rift 100% factually written in stone hands down better...

The fact that it won't be limited by the PS4's hardware should really be reason enough I'd think. But if the Morpheus really is on par with the Rift then they ought to have no problem letting people try it out the way people have been trying out the Rift for a while now.

I don't care about the Rift having competition, in fact I welcome it with open arms. I just think it's a little silly to call this Rift clone an "innovation". Do you think we'd even being hearing about this thing now had it not been for the Rift? It's impossible to know but I have my doubts.

Everybody wants to claim they're leading the charge, but nobody wants to actually take a bold step unless they've already seen someone else do it.

If Sony can price this right, so it doesn't cost as much as the PS4, I'll bite. I'm thinking this will go down a storm with the PS4 indie scene, the Rift may have more exposure right now but Sony has the clout to make this truly mass market.

OK, if Occulus Rifts don't become available before too long, this might just be enough to get me to buy a PS4. Might. If the PS4 gets good games.

Yoshida played a couple of demonstrative videos, one of God of War and another of Datura

God of War doesn't seem like the best game to show off VR (and I don't know what Datura is so maybe it's first person). Why didn't they pick a first person shooter or something of that ilk since VR is really about immersion in to the game world.

Last month I would have said this had nothing on the Oculus Rift.

However, what with EA's heavy involvement with the Rift, I have become much more skeptical of it. Maybe after EA inevitably fuck up the Rift, this is what will bring VR into the mainstream?

CriticalMiss:

Yoshida played a couple of demonstrative videos, one of God of War and another of Datura

God of War doesn't seem like the best game to show off VR (and I don't know what Datura is so maybe it's first person). Why didn't they pick a first person shooter or something of that ilk since VR is really about immersion in to the game world.

The problem is there aren't any games that are optimized for use with a VR set. They need some kind of demo game that can pitch the platform effectively for it to really take off: something that might be difficult given the limited hardware power of the ps4.

Most likely, this will probably go the way of the PS Move, which is to say it will launch and then get brushed under the rug as fast as humanly possible when it fails to gain significant traction: something Microsoft should have done with the damn kinect.

I know it's pretty similar to most VR attempts, but looking at it all I can see is this, and most people know how it turned out.

Genocidicles:
Last month I would have said this had nothing on the Oculus Rift.

However, what with EA's heavy involvement with the Rift, I have become much more skeptical of it. Maybe after EA inevitably fuck up the Rift, this is what will bring VR into the mainstream?

Because EA involvement is automatically the bane of all things... riiiiight... *rolls eyes*. Mayhaps developers need investors?

All aboard the bandwagon

And thus my hopes of the Occulus Rift being PS4 compatible are dashed.

Visual virtual reality (let's not confuse tricking your eyes with tricking your other senses, this is only one part of VR) can make huge strides in certain game types while potentially being less useful in others. For example, horror and exploration genres could greatly benefit from this kind of immersion while FPS titles have proven a bit difficult regarding strain on the neck.

My current excitment for the Occulus Rift is almost entirely over the virtual movie theater experience that has people impressed.

John Carmack tweeted shortly ago:

Calibrate PS4 VR expectations: a game that ran 60 fps on PS3 could be done in VR (stereo 1080 MSAA low latency 60 fps) on PS4.

I forgot up to this point, but to render in 3D you're essentially doubling the required framerate. And with VR 60fps is vital to preventing a nauseating experience. So that's 120FPS. on a PS4. Good luck with that.

Unless they've addressed the motion sickness in some meaningful way, and not the group think nonsense that VR supporters keep spewing it's just Vaporware like Sega's in decades past. It has no final specs so they have a significant issue that has yet to be overcome and they're unsure how other than just spamming more power. That wont work because that ignores the actual issue namely tricking the eyes into thinking that you're moving when you're actually sitting down. That catch is that's what VR is trying to cause, but the more successful it is at convincing you're eyes you're really moving when you're not the worse it gets. Only one VR design actually addresses the issue, but the group think VR crowd doesn't like it because it can't be "full immersion" because you can still see the real world.

Jasper van Heycop:

Because EA involvement is automatically the bane of all things... riiiiight... *rolls eyes*. Mayhaps developers need investors?

All aboard the bandwagon

Oh yeah, it's not like everything EA touches doesn't inevitably turn to shit or anything.

Genocidicles:

Jasper van Heycop:

All aboard the bandwagon

Oh yeah, it's not like everything EA touches doesn't inevitably turn to shit or anything.

*Ahem*

Dragon Age Origins
Dead Space
Mass Effect 1&2
Crysis 1&2&(possibly)3

Yep everything sure seems to turn to shit around EA eh? I'm aware some of those franchises later turned a bit stale, but all of them have originally been developed under EA's wing and it's not like these games are very old or something.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here