The Escapist Presents: Which is Better, Papers, Please or XCOM Enemy Unknown?

Which is Better, Papers, Please or XCOM Enemy Unknown?

Can Lucas Pope and his indie hit Papers, Please defeat the strategic minds of Firaxis?

New to March Mayhem? Click here for more info and then start filling out your bracket!

Click here to discuss this match up in the forums!

Watch Video

Considering I think the vast majority of indie games suck, xcom it is.

I'm playing brothers and either the people praising it, over hyped it for me or the game just isn't that good. Flower is just plain boring but people loved it and I've watched Ray from roosterteeth play journey and I was really bored but people claim to have been "moved" by it.

Xcom is an almost unique (in this day and age) game, that is pretty unforgiving, has loads of cool little features and you can make a man a robocop ...

Papers please is "play the most boring job" it's like a bad sims. I watched beartaffy play it and it's just about laying on contrived difficulty (start off checking one piece of paper and end up having to check out 10) and little story lines, such as the whole ezio thing.

XCOM is a genuinely good game.

Paper's please is not a good game. It's not fun to play. It's "edgy", and a perhaps a good conversation piece and a good game to say you like if you're a critic because it's artsy, and a bit thought provoking. But it's not a good game.

I can't really say anything about Papers please since I haven't gotten around trying it, while I've racked over 100 hours out of Xcom, so my opinion is understandably biased. I was one of the douches who ranted about the 2K Xcom remake, before it was retitled into "The Bureau", on the grounds that it didn't capture the feeling of the original game. When Firaxis were given the chance to churn out an alternative remake, I was intrigued enough to give it a chance and it didn't disappoint.

At first, I was very quick to find faults with the game, that I deemed lacking from the original title, like the limited squad size, restricted freedom to pick base location and omission of base defense. XCOM EU also has an odd early difficult spike but once you survive through the first 2-3 months of game time it becomes almost too easy, even at the higher difficulty levels. However, the game offered a more responsive gameplay and more excitement than the original title did and I can see how that can attract many people who'd normally not play through strategy titles.

The Enemy Within expansion was also a great addition that improved upon the gameplay, while introducing a base defense mission that I found sorely lacking.

In short, as a customer who's only played through one of the games in question, I consider myself very satisfied with it. Firaxis did a good job at taking a classic title and play the legendary dangerous line dance of creating a title that appealed to new audience without alienating the nostalgic fanbase. That alone is an achievement all by itself.

Product Placement:

The Enemy Within expansion was also a great addition that improved upon the gameplay, while introducing a base defense mission that I found sorely lacking.

Do you mean the mission itself wasn't good or the original missed out on it? Probably obvious what you meant, and I'm just confusing myself.

Ot: From a gameplay perspective xcom all the way, from an arsty/way it makes you feel kinda way probably papers.

But at the end of the day I play games for gameplay (duh) so I say xcom.

Interesting debate on the merits of Papers Please versus Civilisation.

Wait, what??

Did either of them even play XCOM?

Dominic Crossman:

Product Placement:

Do you mean the mission itself wasn't good or the original missed out on it? Probably obvious what you meant, and I'm just confusing myself.

The base defense mission (which is awesome, for the record) wasn't included in the original game, to the original games detriment. It's inclusion in the Enemy Within expansion, along with the MEC Troopers, "Captain America juice" and Evil Men in Pinstriped Shirts, just made the whole XCOM experience better on every level.

Dominic Crossman:
Ot: From a gameplay perspective xcom all the way, from an arsty/way it makes you feel kinda way probably papers.

I haven't played Papers, Please, but saying it isn't a game is a bit unfair. It does include gameplay, just not the sort that modern AAA titles would ever work with.

Still, I suspect that XCOM would give you more bang per buck.

Mangod:

Dominic Crossman:

I haven't played Papers, Please, but saying it isn't a game is a bit unfair. It does include gameplay, just not the sort that modern AAA titles would ever work with.

Still, I suspect that XCOM would give you more bang per buck.

To be fair, you're strawmanning him here. He didn't say that Papers, Please wasn't a game, just that XCOM had better gameplay.

Which is does. By far.

Also not having played Papers Please, I can say that XCOM EU is worth it without any comparison. There is a lot of praise surrounding Papers Please, so I think it'd be a tough choice, although Xcom is the bigger game.

This is just like any GOTY list.

You're comparing games from completely different genres. It fundamentally makes no sense. It's like comparing a family SUV and a bicycle.

papers please is good. it is an interesting concept, with clever gameplay and it is surprisingly deep. that said, xcom is amazing, and annihilates it on gameplay factors alone.

i couldn't vote anything other than firaxis, Civ5 and Xcom are just too good

Dominic Crossman:

Product Placement:

Ha ha. You're right that came off as confusing. I meant to say that I found it lacking from the core game.

Still, I can claim that the original game, "UFO Enemy unknown" did it better. Aliens could attack your base more than once and at any time (usually when you were doing too good of a job at resisting their invasion). What's more is that the layout of the base, during base defense missions, matched the layout of the base that you had designed. Naturally this meant that some people would design their bases to be more defendable.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here