Hands-On With Sony's Project Morpheus VR Headset

Hands-On With Sony's Project Morpheus VR Headset

A quick look at how Sony's Virtual Reality headset looks and feels in action.

Read Full Article

Firstly, could that guy in the photos please shave his face? That's just gross. At least remove the photo from The Escapist.

As for the device... yeah seems rather half-baked. I'm not sure why Sony is showing this off. Do they really plan on making it into a commercial product?

Using the Move with it is just lame, and it also uses the Playstation 4 Camera, which is another underwhelming piece of hardware. I would have thought that Sony would have learnt their lesson from the previous version of the Playstation Eye for PS3, which was way under-specced, with a shockingly low resolution and terrible low-light performance. Yet, they've done the same with the PS4 Camera, which should have been at least 4K resolution for performance and future-proofing. But yet again, they used a terrible, cheap low-res camera which just makes it pointless.

I feel this whole Vr Headset thing is probably a dead-end. It's never been a satisfying area of technology, and will be quickly obsoleted. They should be investing their efforts in other areas.

I hope it gets better, and I hope they get it to work well without the move(it's not worth it Sony, don't go down that road, motion controls are shite). Past that, not much else to say. I'm excited that EVE Valkyrie is coming to it, which will be perfect as I'm doubting my computer could run it. Past that, I'm not sure what else VR could do, but I can imagine that there are far more possibilities than we currently see, probably even leading to new game genres. I just see this as closer to anything actually leading to new ideas, as opposed to 3D technology or motion controls.

Aardvaarkman:
Firstly, could that guy in the photos please shave his face? That's just gross. At least remove the photo from The Escapist.

What is the problem with a guy with hair on his face? That literally has no impact on this article whatsoever. Would you be against lets say, sideburns too? Or a a little mustache? The "guy" has full rights to do whatever the hell he wants to do with his own face, and you have no right to say anything to the contrary.
Talk about making a problem where none exists.

I'm glad this piece of kit is coming out, it means that the Oculus has some competition, no matter how minor or major.

*sigh* if only Sony would focus on giving some of their phones handheld console features and start releasing some actual games on mobile instead of the shitty freemium crap that mobiles are inundated with.

I'm a consumer with a job and responsibilities, VR sets that have already failed 3 times in the past 20 years aren't something that's on my priorities list.

ActionDan:

What is the problem with a guy with hair on his face? That literally has no impact on this article whatsoever.

It looks disgusting, and it's in the article.

ActionDan:
The "guy" has full rights to do whatever the hell he wants to do with his own face, and you have no right to say anything to the contrary.

Are you opposed to freedom of speech? I have every right to say whatever I want about it.

Aardvaarkman:

Are you opposed to freedom of speech? I have every right to say whatever I want about it.

And he has every right to call you out when you say something stupid. Just like, say, when you try to dictate how people look because if your persona dislike.

Aardvaarkman:

And he has every right to call you on your bullshit.

Anyway, on-topic: I'm kinda looking forward to the whole VR thing. Unlike 3D, it seems like there's some real gaming value here, even if it's just for immersion (though I feel some really cool stuff could be done as the technology matures). I'd play the heck out of any open-world game with a good VR headset.

And from what I've heard, we're finally getting to the point where the hardware is good enough to make good VR headsets.

A VR helmet is going to need 3 things to really take off:

1. A camera on the front and some sort of button or something to quickly and easily turn the camera on and off for seeing around you at any time without having to take the helmet off.

2. Motion controls that actually work and feel natural to use.

3. Be small and lightweight enough to avoid causing strain while wearing it for hours straight.

If someone pulls all 3 of these off, they will make money, probably all of it. Until that day, VR goggles will at best be just an immersion tool, not a necessity.

Strazdas:

Aardvaarkman:

And he has every right to call you out when you say something stupid. Just like, say, when you try to dictate how people look because if your persona dislike.

I'm not trying to dictate how he looks - I just don't want to see it.

And sure, he can call me out on my saying stupid things, but he claimed I had no right to say it, which is incorrect.

Aardvaarkman:

Strazdas:

Aardvaarkman:

I'm not trying to dictate how he looks - I just don't want to see it.

And sure, he can call me out on my saying stupid things, but he claimed I had no right to say it, which is incorrect.

But you did try to dictate how he looks. you said he must shave. If you dont want to see it - dont look at the pictures. World does not have to change just because you "dont want to see it".

And a case could be made that you attacking the person for how he looks is a personal insult, in which case you dont actually have a right to insult others. At least not on this forum.

Strazdas:

But you did try to dictate how he looks. you said he must shave.

No, I didn't. I asked if he could shave.

Strazdas:
If you dont want to see it - dont look at the pictures.

How could I know what's in the picture before looking at it?

Strazdas:
World does not have to change just because you "dont want to see it".

I never said it had to.

Strazdas:
And a case could be made that you attacking the person for how he looks is a personal insult, in which case you dont actually have a right to insult others. At least not on this forum.

That would be a very weak case, as that rule appears to apply to forum correspondents, not random people pictured in articles.

Aardvaarkman:

Wait, unless they already removed the picture of someone incredibly grotesque all I see is a guy with a beard, if thats so gross to you that you cant stand looking at it how the hell do you handle the real world. What do you even do when a hobo is infront of you?

OT: I dont really like this as unless its miles ahead of the Occulus Rift it probably wont be worth buying as it is very likely to get the same amount of support as the Move did.

Occulus Rift at least has this notion of putting the costumers in first place, for better or for worse, and with that already a lot of content is made from indie devs.

Aardvaarkman:
[snip]

Lets play this from a different angle:

"Firstly, could Aardvaarkman please change his avatar? That's just gross. At least remove the photo from The Escapist."

It's not exactly a classy thing to whine about when it really doesn't impact the article in a meaningful way.

OT: Looks pretty promising. Sounds like the Occulus is still 'king' so far, but competition should be good for both parties.

Aardvaarkman:

No, I didn't. I asked if he could shave.

Fair enough, i may have read more into your post than was there.

How could I know what's in the picture before looking at it?

You cant. you dont have to continue looking.

I never said it had to.

"At least remove the photo from The Escapist."

That would be a very weak case, as that rule appears to apply to forum correspondents, not random people pictured in articles.

the dont be a jerk rule applies to anyone who may visit the site. This guy could visit this site, after all, i would want to see what people write about me in the press if i were in his spot. Yes, that case would be rather weak, which is why i doubt anyone bothered to report your post.

josemlopes:
... if thats so gross to you that you cant stand looking at it how the hell do you handle the real world. What do you even do when a hobo is infront of you?

Most beards are fine. That's just a terrible beard. It's in an uncanny valley between stubble and a full beard.

Areloch:
It's not exactly a classy thing to whine about when it really doesn't impact the article in a meaningful way.

You know, my tongue was in my cheek for the "remove the photo" part. That was not a serious request, or a whine.

Aardvaarkman:

Areloch:

You know, my tongue was in my cheek for the "remove the photo" part. That was not a serious request, or a whine.

Oh shit, it was a joke? Damn you written internet!

Its that thin line that in the internet is hard as shit to figure out, you should have made it a bit more obvious (be a bit more snobish about what a good beard is) that way less people would thought you were being serious about seeing a being grossed out by a beard (I even thought that it was just by the fact that he had a beard, like all beards grossed you out).

Aardvaarkman:

Areloch:

Ah, fair enough. It was really hard to tell you weren't serious - and given some of the threads that pop up around here, I can't say I would've been surprised it was legitimate whining.

I tip my hat in apology.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here