Escapist News Now: Alien Isolation Gameplay Preview - GDC 2014

Alien Isolation Gameplay Preview - GDC 2014

Andrea Rene spoke with Design Lead from Creative Assembly about their upcoming game Alien: Isolation. The game features Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley and is a survival horror coming sometime in Fall 2014.

Watch Video

Because they used the term "unpredictable" with regards to the Alien, I hope it randomly breaks out into tap dancing to fully live out the term "Unpredictable".

The problem is that we already know what the Alien looks like, what its capabilities are, how fast / aggressive it is, etc. I'd like to see how they present it such that it's still scary even though the player knows everything about it.

what you 2 said. its not like no one knows what it is. for people who have never watched the movies, for them it sure would be something new but not for us who grew up with these movies and some games that are either ok or really bad.

never the less, it does look good and i hope that it does deliver a scary game that you have all the time a fear of running in to it at any time of the game.

SKBPinkie:
The problem is that we already know what the Alien looks like, what its capabilities are, how fast / aggressive it is, etc. I'd like to see how they present it such that it's still scary even though the player knows everything about it.

Well so far there really hasn't been a playable experience that puts you into the shoes of someone being stalked by an alien, so if they nail the tension and overall feeling of being hunted on a spaceship then I think it will be scary as hell.

Love how they're emphasizing the AI, though I'll admit I'm still very skeptical. As refreshing as it would be to have someone actually prioritize AI, that particular well has been poisoned too thoroughly for me to have any reaction other than "I'll believe it when I see it" these days.

Don't really like the story/character angles, though. Seems very Jango Fett syndrome, if you know what I mean, and the implications of another known Alien encounter during that time period actually could open a can of worms or two continuity wise.

Still, if you're gonna do a game in the Alien franchise, Survival Horror is the right genre, so all other concerns aside, it's still a big step in the right direction relative to past games.

SKBPinkie:

Prometheus, despite being a Swiss cheese of flaws, does solve this for the franchise in general by implying that the Alien we know is really just one link in a chain of mutation and hybridization, rather than a defined species. As of Prometheus, it could be assumed they would become very different very quickly the more generationally removed they were from the eggs in the LV426 wreck. To say nothing of other forks of the black goo chain either pre or parallel to the LV426 eggs that might exist out there.

Though I suppose it's understandable if many fans balk at that, given both Prometheus's disappointments and the fact that it would mean you weren't making a game about the familiar creature people know and "love" (which is ironic, given the nature of the overall problem).

I'll be honest, even that little bit of footage had me on edge.

Even though I know exactly what an Alien is capable of that doesn't change the fact that I'd be soiling my britches if I was stuck in an enclosed space with one, and as long as they don't drop the ball and can deliver on that atmosphere I can see this being great. It'll be nice (horrifying) to finally get the chance to tangle with an Alien without being able to rely on a the USMC standard issue Pulse Rifle and cardboard body armor.

This looks pretty damn good. It's nice to see something more in the vein of the first film, as opposed to GUNS GUNS GUNS like most seem to go for.

The most pleasing thing is that he seems like an actual fan, and even talked about lore. I'll bet Jim Sterling is creaming in his jeans over this.

Surprised no one else has said it.... but this looks like Outlast in space with a guest appearance from everyone's favorite Xenomorph. This may not be a bad thing though.

SKBPinkie:

I am hoping the rule of Ninja applies here.

That being one ninja is amazing

100 ninja are there to be defeated.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or